Frank Zombo out with broken scapula

Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

After leading the competition for outside linebacker early in training camp, Frank Zombo played with the second team for much of last week in Green Bay.

Now he’s been a dealt a far bigger setback.

Coach Mike McCarthy announced Monday that Zombo will miss a “significant amount of time” with a broken scapula.  (That’s the shoulder blade, but the Packers called it scapula so we will too.)

Suddenly, Green Bay’s deep OLB group looks thin.  Brad Jones, who was last year’s starter early, is also out of practice with a knee sprain.  That leaves Erik Walden as the clear starter opposite Clay Matthews.

Most remarkable about Zombo’s injury: He played Friday’s preseason game against the Cardinals after suffering the injury in warm ups after colliding with fullback John Kuhn.

“That tells you something about Frank,” McCarthy said.

Yes it does. It’s painful just to hear about.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Frank Zombo out with broken scapula”
  1. jw731 says: Aug 22, 2011 3:39 PM

i broke a spatula over the dogs ass after she crapped inside the house……Painful……..yes…..oh wait, we now have to endure 95 comments from all the teams owners……..More painful

2. thephantomstranger says: Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

3. minnesconsin says: Aug 22, 2011 3:56 PM

man, they were thin at talent at the right OLB spot to begin with. Nothing they can do now but hope Ted Thompson can mine the waiver wire / street free agent list and find another guy ready to over-achieve when called upon.

I think they’ll be fine if Walden can stay healthy and improve his play against the run. He’s already proven he can be effective as a pass rusher, just not sure he’s the every-down answer.

4. PackersHome.com says: Aug 22, 2011 4:07 PM

Packers did not have much depth at OLB outside of Clay Matthews III.

This also says that John Kuhn is one mean hitting dude.

5. Packernet says: Aug 22, 2011 4:10 PM

Hear that Jay Cutler?

6. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 22, 2011 4:11 PM

Bad loss for Greenbay

7. hobartbaker says: Aug 22, 2011 4:12 PM

To the Zombo family, it has always been a scapula. Since long before they ever came to this country.

8. mvp43 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:13 PM

Not great news, but Walden & Zombo were probably going to split time anyhow depending on package. They’ll be fine for the time being…….

9. greg5green says: Aug 22, 2011 4:14 PM

You never like to hear about an injury to someone with that awesome of a name.

10. scoops1 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:17 PM

Guido Nation mourns the loss of Frank Zombo’s playing time

11. ajknox88 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:22 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM
    __________________

These comments are why the Packers are hated.

12. Carl Gersbchmidt says: Aug 22, 2011 4:27 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

__________

Zombo is a big loss. He is one tough dude. Of course, so were Finley, Grant, Barnett, and Burnett (and 12 others during the regular season last year), and team captain Woodson during the Super Bowl. How’d that turn out for us? Oh yeah, that’s right, Champions. A Packer goes down and somebody steps up to take his place. That’s how we roll, m’boy. We’ll be fine.

13. tangysizzl says: Aug 22, 2011 4:28 PM

Opens the door for Vic So’oto to make the team, I know hes an unknown UDFA but so was Zombo last year.

Just watch, he will step up and make an impact.

14. breeshasasprole says: Aug 22, 2011 4:29 PM

hes that upset about breaking a medical knife… put ya shouldas’ up!!!!

15. rpiotr01 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:31 PM

Uh, unless that collision with John Kuhn involved Kuhn running over Zombo with one of those injury golf carts, that doesn’t make a lot of sense. How does one break a shoulder blade in warm-ups?

16. tjacks7 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:41 PM

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUHHHNN

17. tjacks7 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:43 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

——————————————–

glad to see that superbowl isn’t going to your head

18. hooknosemike says: Aug 22, 2011 4:49 PM

The Steelers have “zero tolerance” for a broken spatula.

19. mushroomcloudmofo says: Aug 22, 2011 4:50 PM

ajknox88 says:
    Aug 22, 2011 4:22 PM
    thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM
    __________________

These comments are why the Packers are hated.

__________________

I understand where you’re coming from – we certainly have our Green and Gold gogglers – but thephantomstranger is a Packer hating Viking fan. Not saying our fanbase is perfect (far from it), but at least wait to bash us until the inevitable stupid remark from an actual Packer fan.

20. supersuckers3 says: Aug 22, 2011 5:04 PM

Next man up. Thank you Teddy!

21. bjorntorock says: Aug 22, 2011 5:07 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

why is is so obvious to me this comment is sarcasm but you morns cant figure that out and think its a packer fan with a big head?

22. scudbot says: Aug 22, 2011 5:07 PM

thephantomstranger says: “Not a problem. The Packers are the deepest team in the league. They could lose every member of their starting lineup and still win the Super Bowl.”

__________

Nice snark. More clever than the usual drivel that spews from Love Boat fans. However, with your front office, coaches and ownership the Vikes could have last year’s Packers Super Bowl starters and go 8-8, so you really can’t grasp the perspective.

23. hosslaxx says: Aug 22, 2011 5:16 PM

I think lofa tatupu will get a call this week

24. tombradysponytail says: Aug 22, 2011 5:17 PM

mushroomcloudmofo says:
    Aug 22, 2011 4:50 PM

________________

You forgot to mention that he’s our resident grammar cop and the person who tells us what political viewpoint we should hold….

25. thephantomstranger says: Aug 22, 2011 5:32 PM

tombradysponytail says:
    Aug 22, 2011 5:17 PM
    mushroomcloudmofo says:
    Aug 22, 2011 4:50 PM

________________

___________

I have many bits. Unfortunately, it looks like my “pretending to be an over-the-top Packer fan” bit was about as successful as my “Fitzy will sign with the Vikings next year” bit.

And I don’t care about grammar. I just point out spelling errors on comments in which the commenter is talking about how stupid someone else is. I enjoy the irony.

26. thephantomstranger says: Aug 22, 2011 5:36 PM

bjorntorock says:
    Aug 22, 2011 5:07 PM
    thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

_______________

Because the comment is indistinguishable from the comments made by Carl Gerbshmidt, tangysizzl, and supersuckers3. Somebody must get it, because I’m all thumbs down and they’re all thumbs up.

27. garyman1 says: Aug 22, 2011 5:45 PM

This sucks…. Zombo was was playing great. I wonder if it’s too late to get Brandon Chiller back.

28. wafflestomp says: Aug 22, 2011 6:02 PM

Packernet says:
    Aug 22, 2011 4:10 PM

Hear that Jay Cutler

I’m sorry.
    I don’t usually like to pile on but, that was funny.

29. packfannchitown says: Aug 22, 2011 6:02 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

___________________________________
    In that case, what are “morns?”

30. gregjennings85 says: Aug 22, 2011 6:03 PM

Of the possible ROLBs (CMIII plays LOLB):

Walden: Best in coverage, best athlete.
    Zombo: Best pass rusher.
    Jones: Best all-around.

Looks like we need a pass-rush specialist, unless So’oto or Lattimore are that guy.

31. gregjennings85 says: Aug 22, 2011 6:04 PM

garyman:

Chillar is most likely out for the year as well.

32. innoculo says: Aug 22, 2011 6:13 PM

GB proved last year they have a defense that can plug players in as needed. GB will be fine.

33. zeussuperman says: Aug 22, 2011 6:14 PM

ajknox88 says: Aug 22, 2011 4:22 PM

thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM
    __________________

These comments are why the Packers are hated.

————————-

That wasn’t sarcasm? If it wasn’t, dude’s the biggest idiot on PFT – and he’s competing with Cowboys fans.

34. countyk66ers says: Aug 22, 2011 6:18 PM

Lattimore, So’oto and Elmore are ready to go.

35. boiler72 says: Aug 22, 2011 6:30 PM

“These comments are why the Packers are hated”.

Um, sorry, but the Packers are not hated. Only by Bears and Vikings fans. You’re an idiot. Just jealous because the Packers are indeed, far better than your favorite team, whoever the hell it is.

36. paulharghis says: Aug 22, 2011 6:48 PM

boiler72 says:
    Aug 22, 2011 6:30 PM
    “These comments are why the Packers are hated”.

===================================
    I agree. The Packers aren’t hated.

It’s their ignorant, loudmouthed fans no one can stand.

37. thephantomstranger says: Aug 22, 2011 7:55 PM

packfannchitown says:
    Aug 22, 2011 6:02 PM
    thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM

___________________________________
    In that case, what are “morns?”
    ______________

The first paragraph was posted by bjorntorock, not me, you MORON.

38. calloustongue says: Aug 22, 2011 8:31 PM

Next man up, just like last year. When Kevin Greene is your couch, you could probably throw Justin Bieber in at OLB and probably get a sack or two.

39. calloustongue says: Aug 22, 2011 8:32 PM

*COACH

40. clayshair says: Aug 22, 2011 9:18 PM

Dude played with a broken spatula, what’s the problem? Get back in there Frankie

41. clayshair says: Aug 22, 2011 9:28 PM

Viking fans, you have useless crap to deal with like hoping t jack proves he really is as bad as the rest of the NFL knows he is, praying the pack doesn’t win another superbowl, and crying during episodes of “The Missing Rings” on nfln…now go away

42. packerzman says: Aug 22, 2011 9:45 PM

The “next man up” theory was an unbelieveable storyline last year and ended with a Super Bowl trophy as all of us Packer fans know…but the loss of Zombo for an “extended amount of time” and the uncertainty of Jenkins replacement as to whether he can actually stay healthy for a whole season is giving me a case of deja vu…to think that the Packers can withstand 15 players on I.R. this year and repeat the magic from last year is both naive and wishful thinking..remember they were 8-6 last year and holding on by a thread as far as the playoffs go…here’s hoping the injury bug hits another team this year and the majority of players can stay healthy.

43. axespray says: Aug 23, 2011 5:40 AM

ajknox88 says:Aug 22, 2011 4:22 PM
    thephantomstranger says:
    Aug 22, 2011 3:42 PM
    __________________
    “These comments are why the Packers are hated.”
    ——————————————-

lol, viking on viking crime….

44. stellarperformance says: Aug 23, 2011 7:08 AM

paulharghis says: Aug 22, 2011 6:48 PM
    Um, sorry, but the Packers are not hated, it’s their ignorant, loudmouthed fans no one can stand.
    —————————————————————-

So, by the measure with which you maintain is the reason you come to this site (to incite responses to your negative ramblings,) I would have to conclude that we’re “winning.” You try to “comeback” more than anybody else, which would seem to indicate a very thin skin. You don’t bother me or anyone else here nearly as much as we bother you, because everyone knows you can’t be taken seriously. (And you’re starting to sound familiar…..is that you Chickenfoot?)

45. duece5 says: Aug 23, 2011 1:03 PM

clayshair says:
    Aug 22, 2011 9:28 PM

duece5 says;

Well, your screen name says it all, mr. clay’s hair…hmmm…..at first I thought it was ambiguously gay…..now, it’s clear to me you LOVE clay, and I do mean LOVE.

NO GO FIND HIS HAIR BRUSH…..

P.S.–It’s next to the HGH!!!!!

46. paulharghis says: Aug 23, 2011 6:25 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Aug 23, 2011 7:08 AM
    paulharghis says: Aug 22, 2011 6:48 PM
    —————————————————————-

==================================
    You are “winning” what exactly? There is no “winning”- it’s a freaking blog you insufferable douchenozzle.

You really need to stop trying to analyze me. Having thin skin would preclude me caring about what total strangers think of a character I play on here.
    You aren’t bothering me dude, this is mindless entertainment to me. I don’t know how many times I need to spell that out for you.
    So, if I can’t be taken seriously, why do you seek out each and every post of mine and post a rebuttal?
    You aren’t even talking about the subject of the post anymore- if one were “keeping score”- that would constitute me “winning”.

That you figured out that I was Chickenfoot shows me that this infatuation has been going on for quite some time now.
    You, as a grown man( I’m assuming), may want to reflect on how you are acting and reacting to this situation. You seem to have a unnatural obsession going on here.

I post “comebacks”, because that is what this site consists of- people trash talking and throwing insults- get over it or move on. You have been here long enough to know how this goes.
    So, what do you think of the whole Zombo injury thing?
    I’m betting you won’t answer- you’ll come back with something positively inane- like calling me a monkey.
    Go ahead, I know you can’t help yourself.

47. favreblows says: Aug 24, 2011 12:17 AM

Wow. Paul Hargis is starting to make sense. I think my counsel has finally paid off. And you can tell that he has found some liberation in his outing. I mean seriously……there isn’t ANYTHING wrong with it.

On to Zombo……HUGE LOSS for the Pack. I think Walden just plain sucks. This was a weakness last year…..and it will be again this year. If anything happens to the Claymaker…..they would be in big trouble.

48. paulharghis says: Aug 24, 2011 7:06 PM

favreblows says:
    Aug 24, 2011 12:17 AM

=================================

Counseling from you? Yeah right. You have trouble finding you a$$ with both hands and a flashlight.
    I’d rather fly to Haiti for a blood transfusion than take advice from you.

You are a lot like stellarperformance- you are 2 farts broken off the same turd.

I’ll give you begrudging credit for being honest about the LB situation- you are coming around somewhat-good job.