Cowboys extend Orlando Scandrick

Orlando Scandrick, Rex Grossman AP

Orlando Scandrick will be staying in Dallas for years to come.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Cowboys and Scandrick have reached an agreement on a five-year contract extension worth $27 million, with $10 million guaranteed.

We’ve noted that Scandrick could be pushing for a starting job, and this extension strongly suggests that the Cowboys think he’ll be a starter in the future. Scandrick and new Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan have reportedly developed a good rapport, with Scandrick recently saying, “I just like that he thinks we’re going to come out and kick people’s ass. . . . I love him.”

The Cowboys took Scandrick out of Boise State in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL draft. He has played in all 48 games in his three years with the Cowboys, starting nine.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
31 Responses to “Cowboys extend Orlando Scandrick”
  1. medtxpack says: Aug 24, 2011 7:30 PM

desperation signing…

2. 3octaveFart says: Aug 24, 2011 7:34 PM

Thinking ain’t doing.

3. starfan79 says: Aug 24, 2011 7:42 PM

Good signing. One of the better slot corners out there and is nice insurance for Jenkins and the always injured Newman. Better pay him now before he starts a bunch of games and have to over pay him later…

4. thebigcaptain2011 says: Aug 24, 2011 7:59 PM

Why?

5. melonnhead says: Aug 24, 2011 8:02 PM

He’s way better than any DB Parcells drafted for the Cowboys, except Newman.

6. melonnhead says: Aug 24, 2011 8:03 PM

Thinking ain’t doing.

————————————————————

There is no doing without thinking. Unless you’re Michael Vick.

7. hobartbaker says: Aug 24, 2011 8:14 PM

Final details will be completed once they figure out how to spell his last name.

8. hus10188 says: Aug 24, 2011 8:19 PM

Expect this guy to have a real bad year, just saying, every time the Cowboys give their players big deals coming off one decent year, the player then goes onto not living up to their respective contracts.

See Romo, Miles Austin and Roy Williams as examples.

9. sieg1234 says: Aug 24, 2011 9:03 PM

I’m a lifelong Cowboys fan, not that old (25) but have been in love with them throughout the good and bad (mostly bad in my lifetime, esp that I remember). I must say, Orlando Scandrick in 2010/11 was BY FAR the worst CB I had ever seen play. It was the worst year by a corner I had ever witnessed, and I sincerely mean that. The fact people are talking about him being a starter should tell you how God awful our DB situation is once again. I am glad we didn’t mortgage our future to get an aging Nnamdi Asomugha (b/c we still couldn’t win THAT much w him) but we need to start making SOME moves towards fixing that atrocious backfield. It’s ridiculous. If Scandrick starts then expect the Cowboys to have one of the 3 worst pass defenses in football – if he doesn’t start we still will be one of the 10 worst.

Rob Ryan is a joke, his track record is ridiculously terrible and he has proven nothing in the NFL. Just like Scandrick. I would LOVE to see both of them turn it around this yr and for many years in Dallas, I’m just not gonna hold my breath. This football team is sickening. All the offensive talent in the world, a solid front 7 including maybe the best all around defensive player in football (Ware), and we’re trying to put bandaids on broken bones (the defensive backfield) and trying to win…ignorant.

10. maddenboy says: Aug 24, 2011 9:24 PM

and his position?

I kinda remember he’s a Safety. Right?

11. bhindenemylines says: Aug 24, 2011 9:44 PM

When the h-3-l-l is Jerry going to learn???

5 years $27 million, with $10 million guaranteed???

I would have thought more along the lines of 3 years, $14 million with $6 million guranteed; if anything at all.

Here’s a guarantee; they will end up cutting him after the third year and have to eat $4 million in cap money. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but it all adds up, and lately their dead money has prohibited the Cowboys from making any big moves in the offseason.

Nnamdi? Weddle? Huff?

Nope, let’s give $25 million to a guy who so far has been mediocre at best.

God, I hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

12. nyctexan says: Aug 24, 2011 9:52 PM

Damn Sieg… Orlando is actually a pretty solid cb and he would have cost us a lot more in the future. And Rob Ryan had a top 10 defense last year… in Cleveland… chu take it eaassssay

13. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Aug 24, 2011 9:56 PM

@sieg1234

Time to go to the eye doctor because your eyesight sucks if you think he was that bad last year

14. jwing413 says: Aug 24, 2011 10:02 PM

sieg1234 are you sure you’re a COWBOYS fan ? If you are you would know that Scandrick was our best corner last year, I think you might be mistaken him for Mike Jenkins…. Jenkins played horrendous and at times just stopped playing all together. I think they jumped the gun and paid him a little too quick bc hes having a great camp, I think jerry should’ve waited to see if he brings this play to the regular season. Settle down give Rob Ryan a chance he actually has talent with this team.

15. melonnhead says: Aug 24, 2011 10:12 PM

See Romo, Miles Austin and Roy Williams as examples.

—————————————————————–

You’re shooting in the dark. Romo got his contract on October 30th of 2007. He threw 20 TD passes in the last 9 games of the season. Then in 2008 he threw 26 TDs and had a 91.4 passer rating. Then in 2009 he had a 97.6 rating and won that playoff game and made the Pro Bowl.

Austin got his contract right before the 2010 season and had a 1,041 yard/7 TD season playing mostly with Kitna and made the Pro Bowl.

16. jacksaysfu says: Aug 24, 2011 10:13 PM

Thats why Vicks Eagles won the division and your cowboys were 3rd .Even Kitna looked better then Romo . Asomugha wouldnt join your squad for a reason , your BRAINLESS organization is good 1 year then garbage for 2 . Out of 4 divisional teams , your the 3rd most talented . Enjoy another bottom of the barrel fight with the skins and enjoy Vick and Philly winning the East AGAIN !!

17. melonnhead says: Aug 24, 2011 10:14 PM

Nnamdi? Weddle? Huff?

——————————————————————

Mentioning Michael Huff kinda taints your argument.

18. gasolinejt says: Aug 24, 2011 10:20 PM

@sieg1234 I think you’re confusing Mike Jenkins with Orlando Scandrick. Mike Jenkins gave up a ton of pass interference yards early in the season (two huge ones against Kenny Britt), obviously lost a little confidence, alligator armed on national television for the second time in his career, and consistently got burned.

Mike Jenkins gave up 11.5 yards per attempt against him last year (and I don’t know if that includes what probably amounts to 200 yards of pass interference calls).

Orlando Scandrick only gave up 5.3 yards per attempt against him. He covers the slot, so it’s expected to be lower, but that’s still pretty good (3rd best in the NFL, and there are 31 other slot corners in the league).

So, to make a long story short: the worst cornerback you’ve ever seen? He was the best corner on the team.

19. sieg1234 says: Aug 24, 2011 10:42 PM

Anyone who seriously thinks Scandrick played even remotely decent at any single point last yr is losing it. Did you watch the Giants game? It’s just one game, but it was a picture in time of his entire season in a nutshell – he was absolutely abused. He has the worst awareness I’ve ever seen of a corner. He was in beautiful position several times and continued to give up the catch (often for a big play, and several TD’s against him in that one game and a ton all year). He is scared of contact. He doesn’t know how to defend the pass, even when he is in position (ie he doesn’t turn his head around in time, he can’t read the WR’s, etc). You didn’t watch the Cowboys last yr if you disagree that Scandrick was awful.

As for Ryan, he sucks. Idc what he did last year, it wasn’t that good by any means. The Browns D ranked 22nd in yards allowed and 13th in pts allowed – not top 10. They had strong points, like the fact they were 4th in TD’s allowed, but were 27th in yards. Only 8th in passing attempts against, but 24th in passing TD’s against. In 7 years as a coach the defenses he has coached (or helped coach) have finished 20th or worse in points allowed 5 times. 13th last season, and 18th in 2006 w/ the Raiders are the only exceptions – not a strong repertoire.

Also, last yr Ryan had Joe Haden, Sheldon Brown, and Eric Wright as CB’s – that’s farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better than what the Boys are set to throw out there. I am a Cowboys fan, I just call it like it is and don’t build my team up like most of you idiots.

20. itsmammoth says: Aug 24, 2011 11:08 PM

As a die hard Cowboys fan…

WHAT A JOKE!!!!

This guy gets burned every damn play! If you watch any Cowboys games you would know this! Just wait until your team plays Dallas… watch the QB and they will constantly target Scandrick. It’s like Dallas is the only team in the NFL that doesn’t know this! Makes me sick!

21. 1bigtex says: Aug 24, 2011 11:11 PM

@ jacksaysfu

Gee jack, I thought the reason Nnamdi signed with Philly was because he got more money. Of course all that Philly talent has translated into lots of championships, right. When was that last championship anyway? Were you alive? Were your parents alive?

22. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Aug 24, 2011 11:29 PM

@sieg1234

Go become a redskins fan…your an awful cowboys one..next your guna say John Beck is better than Romo

23. Cowboys-Forum says: Aug 25, 2011 12:27 AM

sieg1234 says: Aug 24, 2011 9:03 PM

_______________________________

Your a moron if you think he has ever been worse than J Reeves or even Allan Ball for that matter, those 2 have been the worst ever IMO in my 40+ years as a Cowboys fan.

24. melonnhead says: Aug 25, 2011 12:40 AM

————————————————————

The Cowboys recently completed a run that is equal to anything the Eagles have done since the 1960 NFL championship. They had 5 winning seasons in a row. The last time the Eagles had more than 5 winning seasons in a row, Jeffrey Lurie hadn’t been born yet.

25. melonnhead says: Aug 25, 2011 12:42 AM

—————————————————————

Cool story, bro.

26. phillysuxbigd says: Aug 25, 2011 12:53 AM

@sieg…….i couldn’t agree more. scandrick is terrible. as someone that watches every dallas game ive seen this guy get made a fool of on the field week after week. all of our corners are terrible. newman should’ve been cut….he’s another that gets torched game after game. and if you dont believe me go back and watch the Thanksgiving game againt the saints. in their game winning drive 77 out of the 88 yards were against newman!! and if Jenkins doesn’t regain his half decent form of 2009 then he’s gotta go too!!!! and dont even get me started on alan ball.

27. jcg23 says: Aug 25, 2011 2:32 AM

Sieg, you are making a fool of yourself.

28. quiettexan says: Aug 25, 2011 2:47 AM

because telling us what position mr scandrick plays is so hard to do.

or is this a trick to make me go look it up on the nfl’s website.

29. jwing413 says: Aug 25, 2011 10:35 AM

Eagles fans crack me up you guys haven’t won anything yet… if you guys don’t remember going into the season last year the cowboys were in the talks for the super bowl and we all know how that ended up and by the way who has more head to head wins the last six years ? Cowboys 8-5 !

30. krashie21 says: Aug 25, 2011 11:54 AM

As a Cowboys fan for close to 40 years….I like this signing and I like this guy.

I’ve changed my mind on Scandrick over the last little while and based on how T-New’s long-term future in Dallas is definitely in question this is a smart signing when you consider how thin the Dallas secondary is right now.

31. jsrdc says: Aug 25, 2011 1:10 PM

This maybe could have waited, but Scandrick is good, and will play well this year.

@jacksaysfu

A typical hater butt-hurt Eagle fan talking about other teams being “garbage”. Let’s just look at the past two years. Eagles: good regular season record, but round one of the playoffs, and bounced two years in a row (2009 by the “garbage” Cowboys, and 2010 by the Packers. In 2008, you made it to the NFC Championship game, and got bounced by the Cardinals. The Eagles are the “Almost” team of the past 10 years. Well, that would explain the butt-hurt, and the rest of your post is just hater blab. Typical, non-creative, and pathetic, as usual.

Whatever you think of the Cowboys, the pertinent thing to remember is that the Cowboys have been able to produce a SB win 5 times in their legacy. Eagles? We all know about that goose egg. I suggest you fry them eggs up and add a little tabasco sauce. it will hopefully make it that much more palatable.

As far as the Eagles “winning the East again”, it just goes to show you how conditioned you are to aim low. Why no mention of winning the SB like many other Eagle fans? Scared to be wrong? First of all, your team has several known issues, and just because you signed Nnamdi, it guarantees NOTHING. Your O-line is suspect, Maclin is very questionable, your LB’s are thin, and Vick can’t pick up a blitz.

Don’t be surprised to see your Eagles have a mediocre year. It could easily happen. They could also win the division, or they could get several players hurt and end up 3rd or 4th in the division.

Whatever happens will happen, but you on here predicting another NFC East win means nothing to me. Nor does it mean anything to Philly (or it shouldn’t). What SHOULD mean most to you is winning a SB, since that is the pinnacle, the point, the ultimate, and your Eagles have NEVER won a SB. At least us Cowboy fans KNOW the feeling of our team winning it. You Eagle fans are just too conditioned to losing when it counts. Good thing, too, because it will happen again this year.