Ryan Grant in danger of not making the Packers

Getty Images

When healthy, Ryan Grant has been the Packers’ starting running back since 2007. But after a 2010 season in which he was lost for the season in Week 1, Grant is now in danger of not even making the team.

Tom Silverstein of the Journal Sentinel reports that Dimitri Nance, whom the Packers picked up to replace Grant last season, may push Grant out of a job as the final running back on the Packers’ 53-man roster.

According to Silverstein, running backs James Starks, Alex Green and John Kuhn are locks to survive the final cuts on September 3, but Grant is not.

It’s hard to envision Grant being out of a job after topping 1,200 yards in both 2008 and 2009. But the Packers showed in 2010 that they could win without him, and when you consider that Grant’s base salary is $3.5 million while Nance’s salary is $525,000, not to mention the fact that Grant is six years older than Nance, it becomes easier to see how the Packers could decide to let Grant go.

And so the running back who entered last season as the Packers’ starter may have some work to do in the final two preseason games just to show that he belongs on the team at all.

65 responses to “Ryan Grant in danger of not making the Packers

1. Ummm… Don’t the packers remember they limped into the playoffs and was one bad mike Vick pass from not even making out of the first round?

Keep grant, go 14-2 and repeat. Or keep Starks and hope the planets align with a 11-5 tiebreaker playoff appearance…

2. There is no way Grant doesn’t make the team. I actually think he should be the starter. So you are gonna pay Grant his $1.75M roster bonus, and cut him? He has averaged 4.4 YPC, close to 3,500 yds. Your gonna cut him over Dmitri Nance, who couldnt do squat last year? No way that happens.

3. Interesting since Starks still can’t stay healthy, Green’s a rookie and no one else has shown they can be effective in blitz pickup. Have faith it Teddy but this I’m not sure of.

4. Considering they may keep five TE’s, I could totally see it happening. MM has said it many times…Nance is a guy that has never been given the chance to show how good of a back he is.

5. So much for that good ole NFL loyalty. It amazes me how all you poor to middle class (one time middle-class) people always side with millionaires against workers. But anyway, they may kick him to the curve with no problem, but you whine when a player tries to get more money. CAVEAT: He’s on my fantasy team bench.

6. This is what’s wrong w/ the media. Silverstein writes an article full of total nonsense, then you guys pick it up and re-report and on and on. I’ts total crap, not even remotely possible. Last week, Silverstein was claiming Brandon Saine could unseat Grant. Keep dreaming, Tom.

7. ruvelligwebuike says:
    Aug 24, 2011 3:00 PM
    —————

95 yds
    2.6 YPC
    long rush 11 yds
    0 tds

8. I’d be very surprised if Grant was cut. Unless he’s having a crappy camp or something, you don’t want basically 3 rookie RB’s. But, because the Packers are primarily a passing team and that’s where their bread is buttered, they may opt to keep an additional receiver or TE, making a RB position expendable and save 3.5 mil at the same time.

9. “haha. Nance had precisely 36 chances last season to show how good of a back he is. Those chances led to:

95 yds
    2.6 YPC
    long rush 11 yds
    0 tds

if Nance was good enough to start in the NFL, he would’ve won the job last year.”
    —————–

First of all, I’m paraphrasing a statement made by McCarthy last last season. Secondly, I would rather have Grant, Starks and Green. Third, 36 carries over the course of a year doesn’t sum up a guy’s entire skill-set.

I don’t think it will happen, or hope for it. I was simply making a point that it isn’t completely far-fetched.

10. qdog112 says:Aug 24, 2011 3:01 PM

__________________________________

1) Loyalty went out the door the second guys started becoming mega multi-millionaires and free agency was installed….on both sides, Owners/GMs vs. players.

2) He may be damaged goods, and may not have healed correctly from last year’s injury. How do you know he isn’t having issues making cuts or swelling after games…?

3) It’s kicked to the CURB, hairlip.

4) You will likely get your a$$ handed to you in Fantasy Football this year.

5) I think this is a crock, but nothing would surprise me. I thought the Pack was cooked when Finley and Grant were both gone last year…among another 16 players they lost in addition.

11. I can’t believe they would cut him but if they do I’m glad I drafted starks in the later rounds in my fantasy league

12. @annoyingknowitall, if you think grant vs. starks is the difference between 14-2 and 11-5, you need to change your alias to annoyingidiot.

13. Anything is possible, but I haven’t seen Nance do anyting in preseason to show he should take Grant’s roster spot. I wouldn’t be surprised however, to see Grant lose a lot of touches Stark and Green.

14. When Nance was at ASU he couldn’t even start! He wasn’t even the best back on his college team. I was absolutely shocked to hear that the Packers picked him up last season. I have a hard time believing a player like him could unseat a player like Ryan Grant.

15. This is absurd, first Grant has two 1,200 yard seasons and has proven himself over the long haul of the season unlike Nance.

Also Ted Thompson is CHEAP I would be absolutely shocked to see him release Grant after paying him the bonus of 1.5 Mill.

Not happening, this is a bad article written by someone trying to get national attention and create a story out of nothing.

16. This is obviously the right choice because the Packers are never wrong.

They can turn James Starks into a 2000 yd rusher or perhaps Starks and Kuhn into 1000yd rushers, with Alex Green catching 120 balls and 35 TDs

If Grant is really bad enough to be cut, the Pack are in for a bit of trouble this year. No way Starks sneaks up on everyone again

17. “Snowplow” Kuhn is nice to have around in short yardage situations, but he’s a fullback, not really a running back. Packers will be cutting some good players no matter how they slice it, but I have a lot of trouble imagining that they would dump Grant for nothing. Trade, possibly, but not cut. And they’ve got a rookie RB who’s better than Nance, imo.

18. rajbais says:
    Aug 24, 2011 3:28 PM
    That’s a shocker!!!

If so, Detroit or Miami (w/o LJ) should sign him!!!
    ________________

I think most Lions fans would agree

19. After watching Ted Thompson for a few years, it wouldn’t completely surprise me if they cut Grant. Nance has looked better this year than he did last year and I think a more likely scenario is that they keep Nance instead of Quinn Johnson. I get it that Nance is a HB and Johnson is a FB, but Johnson’s ability to contribute is limited and Kuhn can easily fill that void. Nance provides more flexibility than Johnson, and Thompson likes guys who can do multiple things.

20. Next man up, please. If we let him go, it will be for good reason. When is the last time we’ve ever let a RB go before he was all used up? Ahman Green? No. Samkon Gado. No. Nobody knows this business better than Mr. Ted Thompson.

21. tom is in lala land they didn’t just pay him 1.75mil roster bonus to release him after camp. yes they won without him last year and starks filled in well in the post season. but before that he had some training issues and nance couldn’t pick up the offense? that’s why we kept seeing kuhn and jackson most of the season. grant is the only proven back on the team. yes it’s a possibility they cut him but i doubt it. so don’t believe everything you read.(THERE’S ONLY ONE JOB THAT YOU CAN BE WRONG MORE THAN A WEATHERMAN AND STAY EMPLOYED——SPORTS WRITER)

22. annoyingknowitall says:
    Aug 24, 2011 2:56 PM
    ============================

23. If he gets cut I’m sure that we can make cap room for him on the other side of Lake Michigan. We still need a compliment for Best with Leshoure being out.

24. Grant won’t be cut. They drop QJ long before Grant but I think Grant’s touches will go way down.

Starks and Green have shown they can be large contributors this pre-season (game/practice).

Not to say TT is scared of cutting Grant – he released Favre and had extended Sherman b4 giving him the axe so he can and will chop guys but Grant’s here this year for sure.

25. “Not to mention one DeShean Jackson punt return away from not even making the playoffs.”
    ———————–

Actually, the Packers beat Philly in Philly last year. A Giants win would have put the Eagles out based on head-to-head.

As far as “limping” in…they CRUSHED the Giants in Week 16 to before winning their final game against the Bears to secure a berth.

Your name is reality police?

26. annoyingknowitall says:

It could also be said that the Eagirls were only in the game because of an earlier dropped ball by a wide-open James Jones on the sideline.

See how the woulda-shoulda-coulda game works both ways?

Starks looked every bit as sharp as Grant in the games they needed him the most. It was his running game that opened up the Packers offense in all four playoff appearances. However, I must say I am rather surprised that Grant has dropped so far down the depth chart.

27. “realitypolice says: Aug 24, 2011 4:01 PM

annoyingknowitall says:
    Aug 24, 2011 2:56 PM
    ============================

28. kingdm8 says:
    Aug 24, 2011 3:33 PM
    ———-
    The irony of your statement is that Grant hardly played at all in college either… he certainly wasn’t the starter. And like Nance, Grant was picked up off of another team’s practice squad.

I’m not saying that Nance is the next Ryan Grant or that he is nearly as good as Grant, but I am pointing out the flaw in your logic.

29. I doubt the packers cut him… But for some reason the do, lions better step up to the plate and get him in detroit. We definitely need him since leshoure went down for the season and would be a massive upgrade from bell and harrison.

30. ruvelligwebuike says:

Your name is reality police?
    =====================

I’ll double check that. I have heard in numerous places, including several national outlets, that the Eagles victory knocked out the Giants and helped the Pack get in.

If I’m wrong, I apologize.

But I certainly didn’t make it up. I usually try to be pretty sure of myself on here.

31. What about all the games we were one play away from winning. Keep whining weaklings…

We what spot on the 53 man roster are you on???

32. Ryan Grant is the best RB on the Packer’s roster. Period. If he gets cut, whoever made that decision should receive an immediate lifetime ban from employment in football at any level.

33. I don’t know much about the Packers but I think the problem is they have a hard time getting a running back to stay healthy, someone correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t this been a problem since A. Green? that would be a long string of bad luck

34. anactualnflowner says:
    Aug 24, 2011 4:26 PM
    “realitypolice says: Aug 24, 2011 4:01 PM

===========================

And who is this “we” of which you speak? What position do you play on the Packers?

Besides, I wasn’t whining. I have nothing against the Packers AND I’m not an Eagles fan.

Just stating the facts, which it appears I may have been wrong about.

If it turns out I was, I apologize to every Packer fan but you.

35. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Aug 24, 2011 3:55 PM
    Next man up, please. If we let him go,

What spot on the team are you? And on your knees in front of TT does not count.

36. This is why I personally don’t have problems with guys trying to renegotiate their contracts.

37. No chance that happens, the packers reward guys who work hard, show up and keep quiet. That said, business is business and crappy things happen to great guys, they need him more than they need james jones, and they signed james jones, I for one, hope they don’t cut him, but Alex Green is the one to watch, I’d draft him over starks, but I’d certainly draft grant before either, regardless of what happens.

38. If this media speculation (which is all it is at this point in time) has any merit at all, this makes more sense then people think.

1) Starks and Green are not likely to play on coverage teams. Nance has/can. Grant doesn’t.

2) Packers are a pass first team, and won a super bowl without Grant.

3) Grant is a 2 down running back, and has shown minimal gains in protecting the QB.

Thompson/McCarthy/scouts did a pretty good job with talent eval the last few years to build the depth they had. Unless you got a Barry Sanders or Adrian Peterson, RB’s are pretty replaceable parts, especially in a pass first team.

39. realitypolice says:
    Aug 24, 2011 4:01 PM
    annoyingknowitall says:
    Aug 24, 2011 2:56 PM
    ============================

=============================
    Not to mention The Saints were one bad Brett pass away not making the Superbowl
    You guys are morons here is the bottom line Saints SB XLIV winners Packers SB XLV winners
    Green Bay became the first team in the Super Bowl era to never trail by more than a touchdown, an incredible feat in any season, but especially so given the injury-plagued year the Packers endured.
    That what if game is for losers

40. Ryan Grant and Donald Driver are two guys who should be very uncomfortable on the day the cut is to 53.

It makes no sense to pay 3.5 million to Grant, or the millions to Driver when there are similar options for far less money. Younger, cheaper and more upside…that is TT’s way.

41. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Aug 24, 2011 3:55 PM
    Next man up, please.

This comment says all there is to say.

42. Nothing to see here. This is literally one reporter making this all up. He didn’t hear any rumors from the team or anything. It’s just his opinion that Grant is on the bubble and could be replaced by Nance of all people.

43. realitypolice says: Aug 24, 2011 4:01 PM

annoyingknowitall says:
    Aug 24, 2011 2:56 PM
    ============================

=======================================

I think the Packers remember winning the Super Bowl. And at some point every team is one play away from winning or losing, so your arguments are just as stupid as they sound. Welcome to the world of sports, gentlemen.

44. The Packers won the Super Bowl without him. If he was truely as valuable to the team as some of you think, that wouldn’t happened. The fact is, NOBODY comes into a Packer game looking to stop Grant. He’s a guy, not bad, but certainly not great. He’s easily replaceable. Keep an eye on Green. He’s built for this system. Look for him to start by the mid point of the season.

45. realitypolice says:Aug 24, 2011 4:51 PM
    “I love fanboy wannabes who think rooting for a winning team makes them tough or others weak.
    Just stating the facts, which it appears I may have been wrong about.
    If it turns out I was, I apologize to every Packer fan but you”

…um, he/she supports their team….
    “We” as in our team…duh.
    Idk what you’re getting at, should fans just not support their team cause it annoys you?