Stephen Cooper will try to play with torn biceps

Michael Hoomanawanui Stephen Cooper AP

On Monday, Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reported that linebacker Stephen Cooper would be placed on injured reserve with a torn biceps muscle, and Acee declared that Cooper’s Chargers career is over.

Cooper’s response?  Not so fast.

Cooper plans to try to play with the injury that originally was going to knock him out for at least two or three months.

“I told them, ‘Let me go out there and do it,’” Cooper said Tuesday.  “I said, ‘If you don’t feel like I’m doing my job or playing up to expectations, then you make the judgment.’”

Per Acee, Cooper could play this weekend against the Cardinals.

It’s not unprecedented for players to continue with a torn biceps.  In 2003, for example, former Packers defensive tackle Gilbert Brown suffered that injury in the preseason.  He started 14 regular-season games that year.

There’s no pain or nothing. I just felt great,” Brown said after his first practice with the injury.  “It felt good to be out there with my teammates.”

Ken Norton Jr. did the same thing in 1993, playing part of the year for the Cowboys with a torn biceps.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
12 Responses to “Stephen Cooper will try to play with torn biceps”
  1. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 24, 2011 7:15 AM

Isn’t Adrian Wilson trying to do the same thing.

2. tv426 says: Aug 24, 2011 8:29 AM

As someone who tore his biceps, I can tell you – there are two types of injury. If the lower biceps tendon (my injury) is torn then you can’t move your arm. You have to have it reattached to the radius in your forearm within about 8 days or you will never use your arm again. That is the injury that Aaron Smith of the Steelers had a few seasons ago. It ended his season.

If you tear it at the point it connects to the shoulder, you can function quite well (but with a loss of strength). That can be fixed later without a problem. I’m pretty sure that Lord Favre had this type of tear while on the Jets.

3. britishraven says: Aug 24, 2011 8:56 AM

Tackling with that arm will surely be almost impossible

4. axespray says: Aug 24, 2011 9:16 AM

Never doubt these players man, Zombo just played an entire half on one arm/shoulder, Philip Rivers played an entire Conference game on one leg.

5. joetoronto says: Aug 24, 2011 9:25 AM

I’ll bump this Chargers thread to a whopping 4 posts.

The team really is irrelevant.

6. tjjohnson98 says: Aug 24, 2011 9:36 AM

This sounds like a great idea!

7. adx321 says: Aug 24, 2011 9:58 AM

This has to be Bob Sanders fault.

He’s torn both biceps, goes to San Diego, and now one of their players tears his?

Coincidence? I think not.

8. chadmurdigan says: Aug 24, 2011 10:02 AM

You gotta shake your head in wonder at what some of these players will do to stay a player; then of course there are the ones with guaranteed money who’d be happy to go on IR for a short hang nail if they could get away with it.

9. icanspeel says: Aug 24, 2011 11:31 AM

You have to like his attitude in regards to the injury. It may not be the smartest thing to do, but I can’t deny he has heart and wants to play.

10. granadafan says: Aug 24, 2011 12:58 PM

Would love to have a guy like Stephen Cooper on my team with his great attitude. This is a guy who gets it, that his playing career is short and a privilege. Lazy players like Roy Williams and Fat Albert Haynesworth should take a lesson.

Get better!

11. go619chargers says: Aug 24, 2011 1:02 PM

@joetoronto

Come to San Diego and tell any real Charger fan how irrelevant the team is and get ur ass handed to you.
    If your Canadian as your name indicates, all canadians are really irrelevant to anybody anywhere.

12. kylos13 says: Aug 24, 2011 9:28 PM

@go619chargers

actually, as much as I hate joetoronto’s charger hating ass, most of the world much prefer Canadian’s to Americans. This is coming from a Kiwi.