Talib not talking about his meeting with Goodell

Aqib+Talib+z8AkJY2jME2m Getty Images

Like Titans receiver Kenny Britt, Bucs cornerback Aqib Talib met with the Commissioner on Tuesday.  Unlike Britt, Talib ain’t talking about it.  Much.

“I met with the Commissioner, but will keep all the details between me and the Commissioner if you all can respect that,” Talib told reporters Wednesday, per PewterReport.com.  Talib apparently repeated his comments three more times.

Talib faces charges of aggravated assault after allegedly pistol whipping and then allegedly shooting at his sister’s boyfriend.  But he said the challenges he’s facing are similar to those faced by non-football players.

“It is life, man,” Talib said.  “I am sure you’ve got obstacles in your life that you’ve got to overcome.  My life is no different than neither one of yours [the media].  Obstacles [and] work — you’ve got to know how to handle it.”

Fine, but when the obstacles are the product of bad decisions that Talib has made, it’s hard to compare those obstacles to the things that most people face, which typically are the product of forces beyond our control.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Talib not talking about his meeting with Goodell”
  1. ajknox88 says: Aug 24, 2011 4:11 PM

I see where you’re coming from Aqib. Everytime someone in my life gets out of line I pistol whip them too.

2. hobartbaker says: Aug 24, 2011 4:12 PM

His mouth opened as if he wanted to speak, but no words came out. His distraught mother was heard screaming “Who did this to you? Who did this to my boy?”.

3. jacunn2000 says: Aug 24, 2011 4:17 PM

Wow, possible feel good story of the year. What courage and strength this young man has shown in the face of adversity. Bless You Akim Talib!

4. qdog112 says: Aug 24, 2011 4:19 PM

“it’s hard to compare those obstacles to the things that most people face, which typically are the product of forces beyond our control.”
    ——————————————————
    The writer is wrong on this. Talib is right. The only thing that makes this different from everyday people is that he’s a celebrity and we’re not. His status does not make him immune from making bad decisions and everyday civilians make bad decisions everyday. there is no different.

5. vahawker says: Aug 24, 2011 4:20 PM

Sometimes obstacles pop up in your life and you just have to try to bust a cap in them.

6. ralphtherealravenfan says: Aug 24, 2011 4:20 PM

Jason La Confora said yesterday on the radio that Talib is being extorted by a two time convicted pedophile with a history of trying to take advantage of him. I would think that type of info would be mentioned in the media at least…

7. innerlign says: Aug 24, 2011 4:22 PM

“you’ve got to know how to handle it.”
    LOL. This guy never disappoints.

8. bigbwoy000 says: Aug 24, 2011 4:22 PM

EXACTLY but watch people here try & explain that others still “don’t understand” & continue to make excuses for his behavior.

Excuses & the lack of willingness to take responsibility for bad decisions & bad behavior (which are avoidable) that put guys in these spots to begin with.

9. freemantowilliams says: Aug 24, 2011 4:25 PM

SMH. I hate to say it because he’s a buc but you’re an idiot Talib. If some dudes beating on your sister and you gotta lay the smack down then thats fine. But pistol whipping? Firing shots? Come on kid get it together. Won’t suprise me if the commisioner suspends him for a year.

10. onetobeamup says: Aug 24, 2011 4:27 PM

“allegedly shooting at his sister’s GIRLFRIEND”? Top notch reporting as usual.

11. jooceman says: Aug 24, 2011 4:27 PM

“Talib faces charges of aggravated assault after allegedly pistol whipping and then allegedly shooting at his sister’s GIRLFRIEND.”

The plot thickens!

12. pir8life says: Aug 24, 2011 4:27 PM

Lets see… reported pot head in college, beats his teamate at the rookie symposium, uses his helmet in a fight during practice, punches a cab driver in the back of the head…. oh and then this.

“It is life, man”

13. pir8life says: Aug 24, 2011 4:28 PM

“Talib faces charges of aggravated assault after allegedly pistol whipping and then allegedly shooting at his sister’s girlfriend.”

Now his sister is a lesbo????
    Watch out MF you don’t want Aqib coming after you.

14. childressrulz says: Aug 24, 2011 4:30 PM

this kid is an idiot. I hope Goodell suspends him for a year. Plaxico (nice stupid name by the way) shot himself. This moron actually shot at someone else. I am pretty sure the law and the comish are against taking justice into your own hands no matter how bad the other party involved is. Hope Talib likes watching football on television.

15. justwaittilnextyear says: Aug 24, 2011 4:30 PM

Only difference is I don’t pistol whip people and then try to shoot them. So I guess my obstacles are a lot less than his. WTF?

16. tomosbornesretirementcostjoepaatitle says: Aug 24, 2011 4:31 PM

@ ralph

Being extorted means your probably not a great person. You obviously put yourself in a bad position.

But what does it say about you when you are extorted by a pedophile? Yikes.

17. sappdaddy99 says: Aug 24, 2011 4:33 PM

Better not write anything bad about Talib on here, he may show up at your house and tackle you and pistol whip your kids.

Go Bucs!

18. facebook.com/joesimmonscomic AKA Slow Joe (Bucs fan) says: Aug 24, 2011 4:33 PM

I agree with Talib. Seriously, who among us can honestly say we’ve never been forced to spray a few rounds at a brother-in-law? That’s life, man.

19. melikefootball says: Aug 24, 2011 4:33 PM

The biggest obstacles comes again from the main man in the league office. Harrison of the Steelers seems to be smarter each day.

20. nineroutsider says: Aug 24, 2011 4:35 PM

The crux of his argument actually makes sense; some of us certainly have bad situations at home (or work) and we have to find a way not to let them affect each other.

However, one of the obstacles I am always apt to avoid is those involving guns. He should too…

21. jdandcoke says: Aug 24, 2011 4:40 PM

why would anyone defend this clown? the only people who can empathize with this moron are his fellow ghetto hoods. yes his athletic talent has granted him celebrity status and anything he does will be in the public eye moreso than that of john q. citizen….but he’s still a ghetto hood…and yes, most people ARE better than him.

when i decide to not change my oil on time and wind up blowing my engine, THATS a bad decision.

when i pistol whip someone and then shoot at them, THATS a crime that should be punishible by doing jail time.

22. doe22us says: Aug 24, 2011 4:55 PM

This is guy is a clown, yep as people have commented, i do have everyday obstacles, and yes i will resolve them by getting a gun and pistol whipping and shooting my way through it. The only people supporting Talib and his position, are Buc homers and people who just dont get it. Sad case of humanity gone wrong.

23. scudbot says: Aug 24, 2011 4:58 PM

Speaking of equipment tossers, AT should try the Vince Young method: “I pray to God that Roger Goodell doesn’t come down hard on me.”

24. tylerdurden0 says: Aug 24, 2011 4:58 PM

When life gives you lemons… “B!#&H Where’s my money?!?!”

25. jacksaysfu says: Aug 24, 2011 5:36 PM

“my life is no different then neither of yours”
    Does Tampa only got 2 reporters covering Talib after meeting with Goodell after “allegedly” shooting someone ???
    If he was in Philly he would feel more surrounded then a girl in a locked bathroom with Big Ben…. Allegedly.

26. o37garcia says: Aug 24, 2011 5:54 PM

Why is nobody bashing his mother, she’s the one that started shooting first…everyone is talking about morality & humanity, who is it that normally teaches us that, in his mind he’s protecting his mom & sis the only way he’s been taught, with violence & aggression…

27. blastfurnaceknows says: Aug 24, 2011 5:56 PM

Talib is a turd. Talib will turd himself out of the league sooner rather than later. I’m just hoping that he doesn’t seriously hurt someone between now and then, because I’m sure the new “the Emperor has No Pants” Goodell won’t remove him from the population, despite it being obviously warranted.

28. kayotiicdat says: Aug 24, 2011 6:22 PM

Yea no different than the media.. Cuz they’re just shooting at people like you right, what a clown.. Lock him up

29. bigbwoy000 says: Aug 24, 2011 6:35 PM

jacksaysfu says:
    Aug 24, 2011 5:36 PM
    “my life is no different then neither of yours”
    —————————————-
    If he was in Philly he would feel more surrounded than a poor animal that “allegedly” underperformed for Mike & Quanis.

30. randomjim says: Aug 24, 2011 7:54 PM

Sad thing is, it’s possible where he grew up that this can be an everyday obstacles.

31. mojosmagic says: Aug 24, 2011 9:18 PM

He has the gift of God given talent and it’s time to stop pretending to be a gangster and use those benefits to help people not hurt them. Plenty of players come from the hood and don’t act like a punk.

32. preakin says: Aug 24, 2011 11:18 PM

All I know is I have 2 sisters. And if I found out some scumbag was beating them, im going after him with the intent for me to be the only one that walks away. What is wrong with you guys, your not men, cause if you don’t think men that beat women should not have things done worse to them than a beating, than you all need to be pistol whipped and shot at.