Polamalu, Mike Wallace will have to wait for extensions

Troy Polamalu, James Harrison AP

The Steelers opened the vault over the last month.

They paid big money to retain cornerback Ike Taylor and tackle Willie Colon.  They paid even bigger money to give monster extensions to linebackers Lawrence Timmons and Lamarr Woodley.   The vault is now closed.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports Troy Polamalu and Mike Wallace will have to wait until 2012 to get new contracts.

“All comments about the contract stay between the Steelers and my agent. Sorry,” Polamalu said. “I’d love to retire a Steeler.”

It’s interesting Timmons and Woodley took priority, but not surprising because of Polamalu’s age. The team could retain the safety with a franchise tag next year while working on a long-term deal.

Letting Wallace hit free agency would continue a path blazed by Plaxico Burress.  The Steelers also dealt Santonio Holmes, but Wallace has never had off-field issues like those two receivers.

“This is the last year of my contract. I kind of want to play it out,” Wallace said. “I’m not worried about that right now. I’m just trying to get back to the Super Bowl.”

That sounds like a player confident in his own abilities, sure he’s going to make huge bucks next year in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Polamalu, Mike Wallace will have to wait for extensions”
  1. japdouds says: Aug 25, 2011 9:09 AM

Much ado about nothing. Mike Wallace will be a Steeler next year because he is a RESTRICTED free agents, meaning they will retain his rights for about $1 million. Most likely they will work out a long term extension with him at that time.

Polamalu will get the franchise tag and likely a long term deal will be worked out just like they did with Woodley this year.

2. joeandfresh says: Aug 25, 2011 9:12 AM

Polamalu gets the franchise tag.
    Wallace will be an RFA.

They’ll work out a deal with Wallace next offseason.

As for why Timmons/Woodley got new deals over Polamalu? At the moment Polamalu’s stock is as high as it’ll ever be. Reigning defensive player of the year, due to his injury history he’s probably overvalued right now. Meanwhile Timmons is still underrated and his stock could soar next year. Lock him up now, and maybe Troy will be cheaper next year.

3. Stiller43 says: Aug 25, 2011 9:14 AM

Wallace will be a RESTRICTED free agent…Pittsburgh could put a 1st round tender on him while they work something out…likewise with the franchise tag on my boy troy.

Everything should be fine.

4. daburgher says: Aug 25, 2011 9:23 AM

Not worried. They will both get new contracts next year w/o tags. Steelers will have the room b/c a number of players will be cut after the season (Smith,Farrior,Will Allen, McFadden) Hate to see Smith and Farrior go but they are making a lot of money and are in the upper half of 30’s. We have young guys that can easily fill their roles.

5. ticalcaldwell says: Aug 25, 2011 9:27 AM

I hate steelers….love Troy…The guy is a beast…That move he did last year against the Browns (I think), where he time the snap count and jumped over the line…he should of signed his extension right after that play on the sidelines…guy is unreal

6. pdmjr says: Aug 25, 2011 9:30 AM

Gee I wish you bloggers would do your homework before making statements like Wallace leaving. RFA’s in the NFL hardly ever move. Polamalu will make less than 7 mil next season as a franchised player. Chump change because he is a safety and not a CB.

7. chizzle20 says: Aug 25, 2011 9:35 AM

That’s because Ed Reed is better.

8. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 25, 2011 9:38 AM

Wallace is an absolute freak of a WR. Even if the Steelers retain him for a 1st and 3rd round tender, I could see a handful of teams still wanting him. He is an amazing deep threat… the perfect WR for Big Ben to launch the ball to.

9. paulieorkid says: Aug 25, 2011 9:40 AM

Troy will get slapped with the Franny, extended like they did with LaMarr, will retire a Steeler and 5 years later – will be enshrined in gold jacket as a first ballot HOF’er, and Canton will be rocked by Steeler Nation (again).

Wallace figures to be RFA (not UFA) which goes a long way toward keeping him in Black and Gold for the foreseeable future. Barring injury, really looking forward to this cat’s gig this year. Ooooh baby!

So in the cases of Troy and Wallace, we have a couple of aces up our sleeves, which wasn’t the case with nearly all of the other signings. Big difference.

Colbert, Khan and the Rooneys are very savvy when it comes to taking calculated risks. Sure, CK&Rs make mistakes, but they’re very very rare (e.g. Sweed) — and the sequencing of the Woodley, Ike, Colon and Timmons contracts was genius.

Very appreciative of the CK&Rs’ contributions — goes a damned long way toward strong seasons year in and year out.

10. fancyleague says: Aug 25, 2011 9:59 AM

The thing about the Steelers is they’ve got other impressive guys behind Wallace. I might be tempted to tender Wallace at the first round level and see if any other teams bite. They Steelers have let really good receivers go and still thrived.

11. steelerdynasty2010 says: Aug 25, 2011 10:09 AM

@daburgher:
    i HOPE they cut mcfadden, but they probably wont. no so sure about farrior. real leader on the defense. i dont know how “easily” his production and leadership could be replaced, but it’s going to have to happen eventually.

@chizzle20:
    maybe in your little world, but not in the real one. besides, they play different positions with radically different responsibilities.

12. flagstaffphotos says: Aug 25, 2011 10:15 AM

Both need to show something. Antonio Brown is basically the same speed wideout as Wallace, and coming on strong.

13. daburgher says: Aug 25, 2011 10:33 AM

@steelerdynasty2010
    I think it wil be hard to replace his leadership but not so much his production. Stevenson Sylvestor is more athletic and stronger. I think he will fill the role just fine once he gets the playbook down. Either way the front office will do the right thing and we’ll get Wallace and Troy signed. I really thought we would have a hard time replacing the leadership and production of Joey P but turns out it can be done pretty easily w/ our stable of LB’s. There is always someone that will step up. In Keith Butler we trust.

14. carnboys says: Aug 25, 2011 10:36 AM

I will missed troy playing against the ravens. They were classic games.

15. carnboys says: Aug 25, 2011 10:37 AM

What is with the hair

16. holeinone09 says: Aug 25, 2011 10:38 AM

Unless something really bad happens to them this year that significantly impacts their careers, both Troy and Mike will get new contracts from the Steelers. There is absolutely nothing to worry about here. They can franchise Troy and Mike is restricted next year, so no reason to get tighter on the cap at this point. The Steelers have a long history of retaining key personnel, and there is no reason to assume that won’t continue to happen. They did it this year with Woodley, Timmons, Taylor, etc.

Troy will not play for another NFL team in his career. He will retire a Steeler and go into the HOF as one.

GO STEELERS!!

17. originalsteelcurtain says: Aug 25, 2011 10:39 AM

“flagstaffphotos says:
    Aug 25, 2011 10:15 AM

Polamalu crapped his pants in the playoffs with his achilles injury last year, and along with James Harrison’s no-show, cost them a Super Bowl. Both those guys should have been benched in the Super Bowl, as they weren’t covering, pressuring, or tackling. Troy needs to show he can play within his means injury-free for a whole season and still be effective. The last two seasons he has thrown himself around like a cazy person and torn up his knee and achilles – I don’t see what the value to the team is – all he accomplished was adding more hardware to his personal trophy case.”
    ——————————————————-
    …Troy crappin his pants? He had an Achilles injury that limited his effectiveness. Coaches felt a 70% Troy was still better than Mundy.

As far as “Flying around like crazy” comment, Troy’s injuries were from:
    1) An attempted blocked field goal, where Alge the Crumpler crumpled his knee.
    2) An Int return vs the Bengals.

18. wtf2812 says: Aug 25, 2011 10:51 AM

Simply put, as a Steelers fan for nearly 50 years I have learned to NEVER doubt how the Rooneys do business. Other than Rod Woodson, they have made no mistakes on free agents. The next possible error may have been Burress. Regardless, over such a long time that is an amazing record of success judging talent, performance and durability.

Holmes was no error. He was a train wreck waiting to happen and needed a wake-up call to upright his career. Let’s hope he has learned.

19. 3octaveFart says: Aug 25, 2011 11:00 AM

ticalcaldwell says: Aug 25, 2011 9:27 AM

“I hate steelers….love Troy…The guy is a beast…That move he did last year against the Browns (I think), where he time the snap count and jumped over the line…”

True that.
    You don’t see many sacks on quarterback sneaks.

20. axlviking says: Aug 25, 2011 11:05 AM

Oh my! Polamalu with extensions? His hair could be swingin’ down past his butt.

21. jobotjones says: Aug 25, 2011 11:06 AM

A 5% Troy is better than 100% Mundy…

22. Kevin Jameson says: Aug 25, 2011 11:07 AM

Just because Wallace is restricted that doesn’t mean the Steelers will definitely get to keep him. All being restricted means is that the Steelers get to match any offers made to him. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want him even getting the opportunity to see what he would be able to make on the open market.

23. giselleisasucubus says: Aug 25, 2011 11:09 AM

give a huge extension to a guy who plays like a kamikaze & has had injuries the last few years? What a travesty…..

24. carnboys says: Aug 25, 2011 11:25 AM

I am not a steeler fan. But, I always respected Troy. He is a HOF Safety. He always played the game right. He is a truth football Player. Unlike Smiley(Hines Ward). A very dirty Cheap Shot football Player. Hey Troy you can play for the Ravens.

25. daburgher says: Aug 25, 2011 11:51 AM

@carnboys
    your just mad our Wide out knocks out your safety LOL and you wouldn’t hate him if he played on your team. Troy would retire before ever putting on purple.

26. homelanddefense says: Aug 25, 2011 12:06 PM

Its not unheard of for players to leave as RFA, but it is rare. One I can think of is Wes Welker, he was a RFA in Miami and the Pats offered him a contract that he accepted. Instead of matching it the Dolphins worked out a trade with NE (2nd and 4th rounder I believe)

27. jmack1979 says: Aug 25, 2011 1:00 PM

@carnboys

YEP!

28. Steeler's Will says: Aug 25, 2011 2:53 PM

I like that there’s still a year to decide Troy’s and Wallace’s fates.

29. Deb says: Aug 25, 2011 4:14 PM

As holeinone09 says, barring some unforeseen injury, this will all be sorted out next off season. As it stands now, I have no doubt Troy will retire a Steeler. I expect we’ll re-sign Wallace, too, but we’ve never suffered as a result of our revolving door of receivers.

Yes, wtf2812, Woodson’s been the only huge, heartbreaking misstep I can think of, but that was on Tom Donohoe, and thankfully, Colbert’s not a jackass.

Have to say, though, given the headline, that photo is priceless.

30. trickbunny says: Aug 25, 2011 4:50 PM

Love that picture at the top.

Troy: “How could you? *sniff*.. How could you leave me… for him??” *sniff*

Other Dude: “Naw, Troy baby- You don’t understand. I love you, dawg. You and me are together forever. Don’t you cry…”

Seriously. Now go look at the picture again.

PS- I expect this post to get lots up thumbs up from Steelers fans! (I never stop joking…)

31. antibenapalooza says: Aug 25, 2011 7:40 PM

Who cares, I don’t. What I care about is Pig Ben having a career ending injury. I’d take that over winning the Lottery.