Cecil Shorts looks like a keeper

AP

The Jaguars have struggled to draft and develop wide receivers for years.  They’ve done even worse finding guys in free agency.  (Torry Holt and Jerry Porter, anyone?)

Jacksonville has an underrated starter in Mike Thomas and they are praying that Jason Hill steps up at No. 2 receiver.  (We’ll believe it when we see it.) After that, the Jaguars needed someone else to emerge in camp.

That someone has clearly been rookie Cecil Shorts, despite being a rookie from Mount Union.

“I love Cecil,” Jaguars quarterback David Garrard said this week. “I love the way that he plays, I love his intensity, I love his understanding of the game.”

Shorts looks like the team’s No. 3 receiver and rising.

John Oehsher of Jaguars.com thinks Shorts could be starting by midseason and could possibly be the “best receiver on the roster” by the end of the season.

We don’t do enough posts here that simply say “Man, this kid looks surprisingly good.”  It was kinda fun.

35 responses to “Cecil Shorts looks like a keeper

1. and tell me again…Why did you release Mike Sims-Walker?

Because the guy can’t stay on the field. He’s always hurt. Always

You forgot always doped the ball in key situations.

2. erock86 says:
    Aug 26, 2011 12:57 PM
    How can you possibly not mention the most absurd free-agent pickup (not to mention a contract extension too)….Troy Williamson!
    _______________

Because he wasn’t a free agent, he was acquired via trade. They gave up a 6th-round pick for him!

3. I really hate to say this, but Kiper nailed it leading up to the draft. On a few shows he specifically said that Shorts was his pick as a mid round gem.

Heh, now that I read what I just wrote.. the words “pick” and “Shorts” in the same sentence is just creepy. (As is that “hair” of Kiper’s)

4. I want to know who’s coaching the receivers at Mount Union. Last year they gave the Colts Austin Collie and this year they gave the Jaguars Cecil Shorts.

5. Mount Union Purple Raiders – Baby!

Him and Pierre Garcon two up and coming WRs from the little DIII school.. i mean they are a power house but still its a DIII school.

i love i get to see NFL talent every now and again living just 10 minutes from the campus..

Go Purple Raiders!

6. “vaporiizz3r says:
    Aug 26, 2011 12:45 PM
    and tell me again…Why did you release Mike Sims-Walker?”

They didn’t release him, he left as a free agent. Happens all the time in the NFL. The team didn’t want to pay someone that can’t stay healthy apparently. No big loss.

7. Screw all these Mt Union alums, when will the NFL give some chances to the Kings of Division 3, Wisconsin-Whitewater? Justin Beaver could be running circles around some of these clowns on NFL rosters!

8. marty2019 says: Aug 26, 2011 1:19 PM

_________________________

Ummm, Austin Collie went to BYU, not Mount Union

9. vaporiizz3r says:

and tell me again…Why did you release Mike Sims-Walker?

____________________________

Ask the Rams. They found out in the first game he put their uniform on.

10. There’s plenty of good solid talent at the D-III level of college football. The best part about these players is they’ll be, intelligent, hungry and humble since they HAD to be student athletes.

DIII players don’t get athletic scholarships, they have to go to class, almost all in the NFL have 4 year degrees and they had to fight for what they’ve earned, nothing was given to them just because they’re athletically gifted.

There’s a few DIII players on camp rosters right now, I hope a few make it, they deserve a chance.

11. sah0620 says: Aug 26, 2011 1:58 PM

———————————————

NFL Players
    UMU – 2 UWU – 0

National Championships
    UMU – 10 UWU – 3

12. medtxpack says:

No comment in the article of how tall he actually is though, hmmmm
    _______________________

Why, are you looking to date him?

13. Height has nothing to do with WRs. Unless the guy is like Maurice Jones-Drew’s height then you got a problem. But anyone 5’10 and up is fine, as long as they run good routes and get open.

14. I played against both Pierre and Cecil and I definitely held Cecil in higher esteem as a player.

Also, Derek Stanley, who graduated from UW-W (not really sure who UWU is) in 2007, was drafted in the seventh round by the Rams and led the league in kick off return yards/attempt.

15. Screw all these Mt Union alums, when will the NFL give some chances to the Kings of Division 3, Wisconsin-Whitewater? Justin Beaver could be running circles around some of these clowns on NFL rosters!

————————————————–

I didn’t know Justin Beiber played football….

16. @marty2019

At least know what your talking about before you post on here..Austin Collie didnt go to Mt. Union he went to BYU derr

17. brennankm46 says: Aug 26, 2011 3:07 PM

Turk plays for the Jaguars dummy

18. Cecil Shorts III
    “Triple Sticks”

This guy will move the sticks for you, very smooth catching the ball. Great hands.

Will play slot and outside some. Congrats on Gene Smith finding players, great work on hidden gem.

19. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Aug 26, 2011 3:11 PM

@marty2019

=========

Yeah, I know, I should have said Pierre Garcon.

Still, that’s two solid NFL receivers in a row from a D3 school. That’s my point.

20. “Also ajduhe77, you should probably get your facts straight. Matt Turk, a 16 year veteran, punts for the Texans and is a UW-Whitewater alum.”

———————————

I got the number of National Championships right.

21. Brennankm46 says I played against both Pierre and Cecil and I definitely held Cecil in higher esteem as a player. Also ajduhe77, you should probably get your facts straight. Matt Turk, a 16 year veteran, punts for the Texans and is a UW-Whitewater alum.
    ………………………………………………………………………………

I’m glad no one is actually taking advice from you and hopefully for Shorts, you’re not just blind as well as uninformed!

Uhhh, the Jaguars signed Matt Turk this offseason right after Adam Podlesh left via free agency to Chicago. The Jags brought in Turk and Sam Swank. Swank was cut after the first preseason game though he had a better performance that Turk who shanked a couple punts. Turk though has shown that he was just a little rusty with better performance last week against the Falcons.

22. You’re all uninformed!

Mount Union has another receiver on the Jags roster who was also teammates with Shorts and Garcon.

Can anyone name him???

Answer: Kyle Miller, Tight End.

His father (Mark Miller) started some games for the Cleveland Browns back in the late 1970’s. He’s also a beast!