ESPN Magazine editor defends “White Michael Vick”

Baltimore Ravens v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

ESPN the Magazine has been relentlessly criticized this week for publishing an article headlined, “What if Michael Vick were white?” and especially for publishing an image with the article of how the magazine pictures a white Vick would look.

Some of the harshest criticism of that imagery has come from the author of the article, who goes by the single name Toure, and who had nothing to do with the choice of art to accompany his writing. Toure has made numerous media appearances to distance himself from the picture of the “white Vick” and said he was “dismayed” and “horrified” by the image.

ESPN is usually deft at ignoring its critics, but the criticism over “white Vick” was apparently too much to dismiss, as ESPN the Magazine Editor In Chief Chad Millman has released a statement attempting to explain what he was thinking when he decided to publish this particular image.

“We had several conversations about how to support the essay with imagery that made people think as much as the words did,” Millman writes. “Ultimately, the resulting treatment felt like the strongest way to answer the question so many have been asking.”

If a weird photo illustration of a “white Vick” was the “strongest way” to add an image to the essay, then maybe ESPN should have scrapped the whole thing. I’m betting that’s what Millman wishes he had done.

Permalink 108 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
108 Responses to “ESPN Magazine editor defends “White Michael Vick””
  1. jacunn2000 says: Aug 26, 2011 4:53 PM

Eddie Murphy did it. But his was funny.

2. essentialsausage says: Aug 26, 2011 4:54 PM

I don’t see what the big deal is. I also wouldn’t care if they had a black Peyton Manning picture.

3. jdandcoke says: Aug 26, 2011 4:54 PM

i wonder if a black romo is in the works? an oriental brees might be cool as well.

all dumb jokes aside….does espn not have ANYTHING better to waste their time with?

4. 1stngoal says: Aug 26, 2011 4:55 PM

Somewhere out there, Rush Limbaugh is reading this story and laughing his ass off…

5. trbowman says: Aug 26, 2011 4:55 PM

It was dumb, and what a bad article too. Not surprised this is coming from BSPN

6. bhindenemylines says: Aug 26, 2011 4:55 PM

Why the h-3-l-l can’t NFL players just be “NFL players”?

Why does it have to be about black, white, or any color???

It’s 2011. Can’t we move past this???

7. blarch says: Aug 26, 2011 4:55 PM

Why would he wish he hadn’t run it? All the pageviews? All the chatter calling attention to them? How is any of it regrettable?

8. FinFan68 says: Aug 26, 2011 4:56 PM

That was one of the most racially stereotypical and retarded articles I have ever read

9. jacunn2000 says: Aug 26, 2011 4:56 PM

ICNN did that with a pic of Obama, black people would not vote for him.

10. goinghamonit128 says: Aug 26, 2011 4:56 PM

Then he would be called Ben Roethlisberger.

11. iamgoodkid says: Aug 26, 2011 4:57 PM

oh come on vick hey whats with the rushing touchdowns what are you hiding, lets change a light bulb vick

12. ny82jy says: Aug 26, 2011 4:57 PM

Whether hes white black or whatever dam color it doesnt matter. I would look at anybody exactly the same if they did what he did. To me what he did is a huge sign that he isnt right in the head and you cant change that.

13. tampajoey says: Aug 26, 2011 4:58 PM

Everything about ESPN sucks.

14. bostonbornandbred says: Aug 26, 2011 4:58 PM

Seriously, ESPN the magazine is dreadful… It is definitely the worst of the big three sports magazines (SI, and Sporting News) by far…. All of their stories are long winded articles that for all you know were written six months ago… It’s also pretty pathetic they have to use the magazine subscription as a way for readers to get “insider” on espn.com… I hate everything espn embodies…. Btw for my money I would take sporting news magazine anyday

15. cosanostra71 says: Aug 26, 2011 4:58 PM

The article was just as bad if not worse.

16. jeffpeabody says: Aug 26, 2011 4:59 PM

Why make a big deal about this? Who cares?

17. frankrizzo51 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

Can’t wait for Cindy Brunson to do the 6pm Sports Center in black face.

18. mvp43 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

I have no problem with the article, but a white Vick is probably best left to the imagination…

19. jvm127 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

Imagine if it was, “what if Ben Roethlisberger was black.”. Jessie, Al, and the whole crew would be out in full force. Way to go ESPN never letting the race issue die.

20. zn0rseman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

If Micheal (aka Ron Mexico, aka The Dog Torturer, aka Convicted Felon) were white, he would not have been allowed back into the NFL after serving his extremely short prison sentence.

In other news, if Tim Tebow were black he’d be an unquestioned starting QB right now with the media loving him like he were named Cam Newton.

21. krashie21 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:02 PM

Sometimes when an entity like ESPN gets too big and too powerful, it does things like this, that completely boggle the mind.

This has to be the most pointless, silly and baffling display by a broadcaster that is quickly losing a great deal of its credibility.

It’s too bad that the empire is so vast that there isn’t an alternative that people can turn to, when they do something so silly and meaningless.

I’m with many of the posters on this blog. Michael Vick is a football player as much as Mark Sanchez, as much as Tom Brady, as much as anyone who puts on a helmet…….

If someone can reasonably explain to me how this is important, I’d love to listen, because I’m having a hard time seeing it.

I thought the boys and girls in Bristol were better than this.

22. joelvis72 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:02 PM

White Vick kinda looked like Tim Tebow to me.

23. invisman52 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:02 PM

ESPN has a serious race problem. Whenever issues of race come up–especially on that strange morning show called ESPN FIRST TAKE–the discussion is always glib, problematic, and troubling. I think ESPN thinks that because several black people work for the network (the majority of whom were either players or coaches), they are racially enlightened. They aren’t.

They simply do not have the personnel (i.e. read intellect and perspective) to comment on larger social issues. In fact, they frequently don’t have the personnel to comment intelligently on sports, either.

24. johnnyoclock says: Aug 26, 2011 5:03 PM

Yet even more evidence (need we any more) of how the left wing of the country, those who are absolutley obsessed with race, are the ones who hold the country back. They don’t understand this yet. It’s things from people like this who can’t handle race in a mature, honest and responsible way that makes a mockery of the whole issue. And they insist they’re helping.

Usually the motivation is to be of one race, and reach over and pat another race on the head declaring you will be their Superman, in order to fill and feed ego.

All that does is cause problems.

Someone needs to be fired. Or else it’s yet another step toward the general public not caring to take race seriously anymore.

And who are the ones who continually do this in media?

25. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:03 PM

This that BS that BSPN does when they want site traffic. What in gods name reason do they have TOURE writing for them anyway???

26. hobartbaker says: Aug 26, 2011 5:04 PM

What if Mark Sanchez was white?

27. citizenstrange says: Aug 26, 2011 5:05 PM

What if Tim Tebow were one of us?

28. hobartbaker says: Aug 26, 2011 5:05 PM

If Michael Vick was white he would have used the alias Ron Canada.

29. zeussuperman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:06 PM

zn0rseman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

—————————

If White Michael Vick got out of prison and could still play football like Black Michael Vick can, he’d be in the league.

When are people going to realize, it’s not a privilege to play in the NFL. If it were, every team would have make-a-wish kids suiting up on Sundays.

It’s not given, it’s earned by being a complete physical freak of nature. If you can ball, you can play. That simple.

30. Topher says: Aug 26, 2011 5:06 PM

I think the picture was a perfect addition to the article.

Mike Vick is a very attractive black man. But man he’s a homely looking white man.

31. zeussuperman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:07 PM

I’m stealing this from a popular eagles blog, but…

What if Michael Vick were ACTUALLY an Eagle!?

32. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:08 PM

zn0rseman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

————-

NO. He would have been written off as “too short” (even though he’s 6’4″ — you never hear that about Brees or Rodgers who are both barely over 6′, Rodgers being 6’2″ MAX), as all Black guys have been who played QB over the years.

Or the euphemism about his “ability to play in the pocket” (wink for “Black guys aren’t smart enough to play the position”).

The fact that Tebow was even drafted was disgusting. No one in their right mind thought or thinks now that he could have been a real NFL QB.

33. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:09 PM

zeussuperman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:06 PM

zn0rseman says: Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM

—————————

——————-

If he were White (and you are not going to TELL me there aren’t White guys in any professional sports who have done this and still do this, and authorities don’t/didn’t know about it) he wouldn’t have even gone to prison in the first place.

But that’s beside the point.

34. footballfanatic2010 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:10 PM

What if Vick was white? Really? Okay well…he’d be slower, fatter, and far less interesting.

I firmly believe that if you’re a white football fan, you cannot be considered racist. My favorite players are Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Pat Willis, Mike Iupati, and Braylon Edwards. I like a lot of other players as well, but those are my favorites. So…none of them are white…how can I be racist?

Regardless of how you feel about the race issue, that was just a stupid article to write. I’m shocked that it came out now instead of during the lockout…there are actual topics concerning football that can be discussed now.

I also don’t see the problem with the picture. I thought it was interesting. I’d like to see them reverse the race on every notable player and show what it’d look like for the hell of it.

35. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Aug 26, 2011 5:10 PM

If he were white he’d just be a slow-footed dogfighting redneck that couldn’t play football.

36. skinsneedwins says: Aug 26, 2011 5:11 PM

How many of us are tired of ESPN “race baiting” its viewers/readers/listeners. Or, for that matter, tired of ESPN altogether…

37. lakedog19352 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:12 PM

Absoluetly ridiculous article by ESPN. Tim Tebow and Tony Romo are arguably the two most hated QB in the NFL and you dont get much whiter than those two fellas! (or at the very least catch the most criticism)…

38. schemefactory says: Aug 26, 2011 5:12 PM

what if espn cared more about effective, real journalism than attention-grabbing headlines?

39. crubenst says: Aug 26, 2011 5:13 PM

40. scudbot says: Aug 26, 2011 5:15 PM

What if ESPN wasn’t a bunch of hacks with a really slow website?

41. jsrdc says: Aug 26, 2011 5:16 PM

@ Mr Wright,

Well put. They are wanting more site traffic and attention. It was an interesting article, but unneeded and ridiculous to create a photo of what Vick would look like if he was white.

There are many ways to get more traffic to your site, and attention to ESPN. I guess NFL.com and NFL Network is getting more hits and viewers with regards to football in general with the season right around the corner, and the hunger for football so high due to the long lockout.

ESPN made a decision that has seemingly backfired by creating a white depiction of VIck, and I wonder who ultimately authorized this to be published on the site. They could have absolutely just submitted the article and left it at that. Just because people are wondering “what if Vick was white” with regards to his legal troubles, his jail sentence, and his eventual return and success in the NFL, those same people don’t need a literal photographic depiction of a white Vick to ponder the theoretical question “what if Vick was white”.

42. willisaldon9952 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:18 PM

I didnt know that we were still on the topic of race discrimination, The people voted for a multi cultural prez. I think that people that bring up race and discrimination against a certain race are the actual racist themselves!

43. tkraw33 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:20 PM

I find the whole thing to be more stupid than racist. What a waste of time.

44. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:23 PM

Stop falling for the gaffle!!! Everyone should have known BSPN’s M.O. with this from day one.

As a Black man, I can’t stand it. Every writer who’s Black there does nothing but imbue and infuse race into their column SOMEHOW, SOMEWAY, every time.

45. bigcali4life says: Aug 26, 2011 5:23 PM

@ joelvis72:

When I saw the pic, my first thought was, “He looks like the love-child of the “bleached” Sammy Sosa and Tebow.” LOL. Spot on.

46. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:25 PM

willisaldon9952 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:18 PM

———-

People who continue to cite this Obama nonsense as a barometer of where we stand today are probably just as disgusting as willfully closeted bigots. You know better than that, yet so many of you continue to assert this garbage.

Many people voted for him because they fell for the double-talk (don’t get me started on politics on here) from him, thinking he represented the antithesis of Bush. That, and he represents and champions their liberal ideas. The Incredible Hulk and his green skin would have won that election running on the same platform.

Although some would swear we’re “over race, because it’s 2011 and there’s a (half) Black president in office!!!”

47. tennesseeoilers says: Aug 26, 2011 5:27 PM

I’ve never had patience for coaches or fans who put black quarterbacks in a box. Sure, I was raised by a white father in the South. But this man weaned me on the brilliance of Oklahoma Sooners QB J.C. Watts. Watts and Joe Theismann were my first favorite quarterbacks. Since then, I’ve added Steve McNair and Jake Locker to the list. Yep, I’m a fan of toughness, smarts … and race–especially a 4.3 forty.

48. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:28 PM

jsrdc says: Aug 26, 2011 5:16 PM

@ Mr Wright,

————-

They don’t care about the firestorm. They know it will fuel the fire and fan the flames, and bring in someone else who doesn’t even understand the dynamics of sports (as Toure, one of my favorite hip hop writers from the day, doesn’t) and have them wax political about the inequities of race within sports.

I don’t support nor besmirch a player in sports because of race. If he’s on MY TEAM and CONTRIBUTING to us winning, I couldn’t care less. If he’s on a rival team, I hate him.

And that goes for Vick. Again, I’m a Black man and I’ve been a fan since we stomped his ash and the Hokies in the national title game in 1999!

49. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:28 PM

(as I am a Giants fan and he plays for the Eagles).

50. itsmammoth says: Aug 26, 2011 5:29 PM

I’ve always heard people call Tony Romo the “White Michael Vick”…

both run around in the pocket like goof balls.

51. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:30 PM

tennesseeoilers says: Aug 26, 2011 5:27 PM

———

I can get with this.

52. flavordave says: Aug 26, 2011 5:32 PM

“Mike Vick is black? Well yeah I suppose he is black. I tend not to see people in terms of color” – George Costanza

53. invisman52 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:34 PM

Actually, Tony Romo is part-Mexican. He passes for white–quite brilliantly, in fact.

His name is Antonio Ramiro Romo.

54. scudbot says: Aug 26, 2011 5:35 PM

It’s Disney Sports Network. They make up fantasy stupidness all the time. Next week: Penguin Manning and the Indianapolis Dancing Colts will warm your heart.

55. souldogdave says: Aug 26, 2011 5:38 PM

Stupid article that you wrote a stupid article about. I guess my last comment got under your skin, Silver, because it was deleted!You whoop this up here, and don’t even post the offending picture! BAD JOURNALISM. Your editor should have nailed you for it. I SAY IT AGAIN.Loser

56. ezmoover says: Aug 26, 2011 5:40 PM

Michael Vick likes to torture dogs for pleasure. And don’t you EVER forget that. Period.

57. mrplow3 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:42 PM

I’m so tired of this hyper sensitive politcally correct hell america has become.

You know what I miss? When men were actually men and ya know, had a pair. Not the overly sensitive “horrified” cry babies we have parading around today with their manicures and over styled hair.

I’m so very tired of it.

58. scudbot says: Aug 26, 2011 5:43 PM

crubenst says: “Fear & criticism of a picture like that is what’s keeping us from unity. We need to truly get over skin color.” A platitude, but laudable. One could start by not monetizing the race card, for example.

59. whatswiththehate says: Aug 26, 2011 5:43 PM

skinsneedwins says:Aug 26, 2011 5:11 PM

—————–
    ESPN has always been the “Reality TV” version of sports news. They will say and do anything to get a rise out of their audience. Sadly other sites like this one is just as prone to pulling the same stunt by posting what ESPN did, which in turn gives ESPN more attention.
    ——————-
    lakedog19352 says:Aug 26, 2011 5:12 PM

——————-

So I guess u feel the media’s racing baiting of African-American athletes like Cam and Vick is okay with u?

60. tlight131 says: Aug 26, 2011 5:44 PM

If he was Whichael Vick he wouldn’t be nearly as electric as he is and this wouldnt be an issue at all.

61. greenbay4ever says: Aug 26, 2011 5:45 PM

The Wayon’s brothers were white chicks in the movie White Chicks and no one was pissed. People should of been that movie was horrible.

62. terumiarai says: Aug 26, 2011 5:47 PM

Is this like the Wayan brothers in White Chicks? Did Disney put that out?

63. grandpoopah says: Aug 26, 2011 5:47 PM

Forget the image. The author should be distancing himself from that asinine article he wrote.

64. hobartbaker says: Aug 26, 2011 5:52 PM

In defense of the writer, titling the article “What if Michael Vick were brown?” wouldn’t have nearly the same impact.

65. buffaloniner says: Aug 26, 2011 5:53 PM

Why should anybody even care about this. The people that perpetuate racism are the one who get all worked up over stuff like this and slap the “racist” label one everything. Relax. Not that big of a deal. it was a stupid move by the magazine, but in reality they wouldn’t have even had to worry about the stupidity of publishing something like that if people would just grow up and stop getting offended over racial things that are not intenended to harm or belittle any race at all. If people could just ignore it and realize its no big deal, the HUMAN RACE would come a long way. By the way, I did not get pissed of at the wayans bothers when they made the movie “white chicks”.

66. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 26, 2011 5:56 PM

This article was a load of crap.

That picture did for that article what 3-D did for bad movies. It helped draw attention to a horrible product.

They didn’t hit on the points they needed to they just essentially said “if Michael Vick was white his life would be so much different and so much better.”

They outlined how bad his life was as a black man then compared that to a white person.

Way to blow the topic way out of the water. You’re way off base.

67. scudbot says: Aug 26, 2011 6:00 PM

buffaloniner: They played up the race issue for money. That’s what some of us are disgusted with.

68. krashie21 says: Aug 26, 2011 6:01 PM

I swear that the “White Michael Vick” beat me by two strokes in Match Play a few years back playing Tiger Woods ’08……..

69. axespray says: Aug 26, 2011 6:02 PM

jvm127 says:Aug 26, 2011 5:00 PM
    “Imagine if it was, “what if Ben Roethlisberger was black.”
    —————————————-

He’d be in jail from the get go, no one in pittsburgh would support him, and in 2 years he’d be back in the league talking about “redemption” .

70. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 26, 2011 6:04 PM

My biggest problem with this article.

He did the race-baiting.

He never answered his own question. “What if Michael Vick were white?” He blasted the question, lol and the people who asked it.

The whole essay is about how people can be so short-sighted not to think that him being white can change his whole way of thinking and how he grew up. Which is a load of crap.

He should have looked what Vick’s public perception would be if he were white and still in the same situation. Not ignore everything else and say just because he was white he wouldn’t have gotten caught in a dog-fighting scandal.

71. melonnhead says: Aug 26, 2011 6:06 PM

His name is Antonio Ramiro Romo.

———————————————————————

Jeez. Romo isn’t part Mexican. “Mexican” describes a nationality. He’s part hispanic and all American.

72. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 26, 2011 6:10 PM

I see a lot of people asking why ESPN brings up “the race issue” or “race card”.

Because this needs to be discussed and not ignored. I was in a barbershop when Vick was convicted and when he came back into the NFL and I had a bunch of people in there talking about it and wondering why ESPN was mentioning it or talking about it more.

People YOU CAN’T IGNORE RACE. Just because you don’t experience issues with race DOESN’T MEAN IT DOESN’T EXIST.

Race isn’t always the only reason something like this exists but is a factor. It’s kind of close-minded to just ignore it and hope it goes away.

73. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 26, 2011 6:17 PM

As a young black quarterback in H.S. or below I would be ashamed to read this article.

Why? Because no matter how successful I can be I will always be compared to a white man and my skin color will always define me.

74. hobartbaker says: Aug 26, 2011 6:22 PM

Myeeeh….things could have been a lot worse for Mike. I mean, what if he was burgundy? Or chartreuse, or mustard colored, or something?

75. buffaloniner says: Aug 26, 2011 6:22 PM

scudbot, agreed. Of course it was for money. Every article published in a magazine, every book written, every movie and television show made is all for money. My point remains the same.

76. hobartbaker says: Aug 26, 2011 6:23 PM

As a great man once said, “The race is not always to the mobile and athletic.”.

77. briang123 says: Aug 26, 2011 6:25 PM

This is why I don’t watch SportsCenter anymore, especially on SUndays. If they are running a 10-minute feature of how much whitey hates darky, they are running something in discrimination against women or gays. No one cares except those liberal dopes who hate white Christian heterosexual males with a passion.

78. icomehereforthecomments says: Aug 26, 2011 6:29 PM

I really don’t get all the ESPN hate that has been shown on this site. ESPN has enabled sports to the level they are at now. Their 24-7 coverage paved the way for blogs covering sports 24-7.

I didn’t see any other site or entity bring up the fact that Jay Feeley questioned Carson Palmers actions via Twitter asking the question, “if he were a black QB, would the media support Carson like they ate ??”. But that morning show, First take did, Skip Bayless talked about it on air with Chris Broussard I believe.

All the issues that the personalities at ESPN have had happen everyday at every Fortune 500 company, but since they aren’t on TV daily, we don’t feel like we have a personal relationship with them. ESPN has an ombudsman that regularly corrects and publicaly reprimands employee who do wrong, I don’t see foxsports, cnnsi, nbcsports etc etc offer that on their front page. First Take is the only place I’ve seen bring up race issues regularly, and Mike n Mike do too.

When did ” the lack of ability to play the pocket” become a euphamism for “black man not smart enough to play position” ??

Yes, this article should never have made it to press and the editor needs to lose his job.

79. melonnhead says: Aug 26, 2011 6:29 PM

What if Michael Vick had won a playoff game in the last 5 years? What if Michael Vick had won more than two playoff games in his entire career?

We’ll probably never know the answer to either question.

80. mostepicgnar says: Aug 26, 2011 6:34 PM

bearsrulepackdrool says:
    Aug 26, 2011 6:17 PM

—–

@bearsrulepackdrool, it sounds to me like someone has had bad parenting if you think like that already. That is part of the problem with your culture too, you are indoctrinated from youth to think you will fail in life. Shame.

81. buffaloniner says: Aug 26, 2011 6:48 PM

hobartbaker says: Aug 26, 2011 6:22 PM

—————-

How dare you! My family is burgundy and your implication that burgundy is somehow worse is the most offensive and racist thing I’ve ever heard! ….. then again, maybe I just looked too deep into it and instead of putting any intelligent and impartial thought into your statement I saw something about skin color and assumed you must be a burgundy hating racist… wait does this actually make me the most racist of them all?! GASP! what have I done?!

82. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Aug 26, 2011 7:00 PM

As a white guy I would like to know the proper time to play my race card.

83. buffedwhiteman says: Aug 26, 2011 7:07 PM

ESPN so full of PC/race baiting its sad in a way.Another reason liberalism (espn) = mental disorder.

84. stonecold1977 says: Aug 26, 2011 7:09 PM

I’m white, but I am a dog lover too. I don’t care if the guy who participated in those acts was white, I still would dislike him for it!

85. travispeters1 says: Aug 26, 2011 7:09 PM

White Vick looks like Tebow to me

86. blackqbwhiterb says: Aug 26, 2011 7:09 PM

all the honkies are so afraid of upsetting the black people….as always, what a laugh……let’s now try to explain we didn’t mean anything bad by it, while Al Freakin’ Sharpton breaths down our neck, yadayadayada…………what a joke

87. delshofner says: Aug 26, 2011 7:09 PM

White Mike Vick = Vanilla Ice … Noooooooooo!!!!

88. mostepicgnar says: Aug 26, 2011 7:18 PM

blackqbwhiterb says:
    Aug 26, 2011 7:09 PM
    all the honkies

This is called being a h-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e. Say it with me now.

89. oxycode30 says: Aug 26, 2011 7:26 PM

Who the hell is “Touré” anyway?
    What is “Touré?”
    I thought “Touré” was a model from Volkswagen.
    Or a high-priced hair-stylest…
    “Touré?”

90. backindasaddle says: Aug 26, 2011 7:33 PM

Hmmmm…If Michael Vick were white?

He would not have been into dog fighting.

He would not have such incredible athletic talents.

He would be more mentally dedicated to the QB position than Vick was in Atlanta simply because he would need to be without the incredible athletic abilities.

He would still have poor character because that’s more a product of your upbringing and there is certainly plenty of white trash out there in this world capable of raising nasty little white trash children.

I’m guessing a white Michael Vick might look something like….Ryan Mallet.

91. joelvis72 says: Aug 26, 2011 7:37 PM

bigcali4life: Bleached Sosa & Tebow would probably qualify as History’s Most Horrid Hookup.

92. zeussuperman says: Aug 26, 2011 7:57 PM

twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Aug 26, 2011 7:00 PM

As a white guy I would like to know the proper time to play my race card.

———————————–

Ideally, when you have another race card in the pocket and you catch the other two on the flop.

93. fatfreddystubbs says: Aug 26, 2011 8:03 PM

Can ESPN’s next question be “what if Stephen A Smith had his tongue removed?”

94. joyjoy69 says: Aug 26, 2011 8:05 PM

goinghamonit128 says: Aug 26, 2011 4:56 PM

Then he would be called Ben Roethlisberger.

————————–

Great point! Psychologists say that one of the commonalities they find among convicted rapers and woman beaters is a propensity toward cruelty to animals. This may be explained by the fact they see the suffering of non-humans as something other than a moral issue, and many rapists don’t see women as really human. Perhaps the better question to have asked is what would have happened to Vick if he went through the same situation Roethlisberger went through.

The exercise is futile, as there is no way to know, and any effort would only bring out our current biases. Still it seems likely Vick would have faced a longer road back to playing football than Big Ben did. I hope we never have to find out.

95. theytukrjobs says: Aug 26, 2011 8:07 PM

wtf did they use Madden customer player editor to create that image? Uncanney valley much?

I’d have to read the article to see what it is all about. But personally I think that if Vick were white he’d probably have been treated similar for the most part but likely wouldn’t have had as much good support coming out of the pen. I don’t know that Dungy would have been his pal.

When it comes to dog mutilation I like to think people are sort of color blind.

96. bearsrulepackdrool says: Aug 26, 2011 8:13 PM

@zeussuperman

When you don’t look like a bigot trying to get revenge.

97. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:00 PM

zeussuperman says: Aug 26, 2011 7:57 PM

twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Aug 26, 2011 7:00 PM

As a white guy I would like to know the proper time to play my race card.
    ——–

YOU DON’T GET TO PLAY A RACE CARD, as long as White privilege exists in this country and worldwide.

98. mumakata says: Aug 26, 2011 9:09 PM

Toure was qouted as being horrified by the picture. What an absurd thing to say. what a freaking pantywaist.

99. TheDPR says: Aug 26, 2011 9:27 PM

I stopped reading when the idiot said Vick went to prison for killing dogs.

He served ZERO seconds of jail time for killing dogs. He was charged with and sentenced for running an interstate gambling ring where the sport happened to be dog fighting.

He never got in trouble for how he treated the dogs or for the actual dog fighting itself even though there are plenty of laws he broke in those respects. The Virginia attorney decided not to bring charges against the local hero.

Perhaps race was involved in the amount of jail time Vick served, but not how the author thinks it was. See, the DA who let Vick off on slam dunk charges (Vick confessed on tape to the Feds who busted him) is black.

100. rcali says: Aug 26, 2011 10:27 PM

Not sure a “Disney” company should be backing this kind of stuff. Obviously somebody has to go.

101. seaochickens says: Aug 26, 2011 11:23 PM

I always wondered what Vick would be like if he was a midget… On one hand, with the lower center of gravity, he would be hard to stop and make every hole that the D line has open… But, how would he pass over the line? I don’t think him being white would be as interesting as a midget…

102. lance19 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:50 PM

I thought it was an interesting picture…
    weird, but I wasn’t offended.

That said:

Hey! ESPN, can you “Asian-up”
    my girlfriend, a little?

103. espnfeedback says: Aug 26, 2011 11:51 PM

The absolute ignorance and cold blooded fear masquerading as passive aggressive quips and outright lingering lynch mob mentality of some toward Vick that appears here is why the article needed to be published. Sport is not immune from the painful history and the real legacy of racism in America. No matter how much we love our game(s) we can’t ignore these issues or bury our heads in the sand, epecially when such positive changes can be made in and outside the game, with the game as the framework. Football is not a fantasy existing outside of the hard and at times dour realities of our everyday. To the contrary: Football and sport in general is the most honest incubator of us at our best…and sometimes at our worst. ITS THERE FOR EVRYONE TO SEE. The beauty of athletic accomplishment and pressure defying courage under fire. But that’s just the seen. The games also puts US on display as a culture. In the stands , on the sideline, in the executive offices, as media and as fans.

Honest conversation takes courage. The history is that our collective courage has catalyzed positive changes in American culture where race is concerned.
    …….We are Americans. GDamnit, Nothing scares us!

@ESPNFeedback

104. melonnhead says: Aug 27, 2011 8:30 AM

——————————————————————————

Well guess what, nobody needs to play the “race card” as long as people keep referring to what amounts to cultural and societal differences between white people and black people as “white privilege”. Doing the right thing does not make for “privilege”. Whites are not “privileged” because fewer white fathers abandon their children than blacks or that white people commit crime at a lower rate than black people. The term “white privilege” is nothing but a crutch. In fact I’m going to turn it around and say that it’s “black privilege” to make excuses for bad behavior. Quit committing crime at a level that’s disproportionate to your numbers, instead of demanding that someone else picks you up pick yourselves up, and quit abandoning your responsibility toward your children. Most of all quit listening to race pimps like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and Louis Farrakhan because they live luxurious lifestyles built on making sure that every black person in America believes that “privileged whites” are against them. Do these things and maybe you can be “privileged”, too.

105. melonnhead says: Aug 27, 2011 8:37 AM

———————————————————————

Plenty of black guys play in the NFL and aren’t subjected to the hate that Vick is subjected to. Do you think that the sociopath might take a lot of crap because he’s, you know, a sociopath that got off easy for the simple fact that he IS an NFL player?

I got news for you guys. You don’t stop being sociopathic at the flip of a switch and after giving a speech or by scoring a touchdown. The only thing that will keep Vick out of prison in the future is self-restraint, not getting caught or getting caught and getting more special treatment. Discounting a lobotomy or shock therapy, anyway.

106. Topher says: Aug 27, 2011 2:57 PM

sometimes articles like this just call for a token.

107. dycenyne says: Aug 27, 2011 3:44 PM

A more appropriate “white Mike Vick” picture is Steve Young!

108. MichaelEdits says: Aug 27, 2011 8:27 PM

From the novel I’m writing now:

“Do you know what Deng Xiaopeng said about this?”
    “No, I do not know what Deng Xiaopeng said about this.”
    “It doesn’t matter whether it is a white man or a black man. If it catches footballs, it is a good man.”
    “Deng Xiaopeng never said that.”
    “Well, he would have if he’d played football.”