Peyton Manning on playing opener: “I sure hope so”

Washington Redskins v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

Peyton Manning didn’t reveal much during a sideline interview with Sam Ryan of CBS Friday night.  Just the fact Manning granted the interview, however, should give Colts fans some hope.

Manning seemed to be in a good mood, joking around about making his trainers go gray and lose hair with all the extra work he’s doing.

“At the appropriate time, I’ll know what the right decision is,” Manning said when asked about his return.

The four-time MVP was asked if that return will happen by Week One.

“I sure hope so,” Manning said.  “I’ve never missed a game in my football career because of an injury since I was 13 years old. I sure don’t want to start Week One of this season on the bench.  That’s my goal to be out there to play and not just play but play competitively. . . .  That’s my goal.  I want to help the team win. If I’m able to do so, I’ll be out there.”

The words don’t mean a lot on their own, but his willingness to talk and his surprisingly upbeat attitude may indicate Manning still thinks he can get back in time for Week One.

Whether the Colts and their doctors feel comfortable playing Manning again that soon could be a separate issue.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Peyton Manning on playing opener: “I sure hope so””
  1. kenboslice says: Aug 26, 2011 10:22 PM

Golly Gee Willikers i hope those mean doctors let me play.

2. unbiased8383 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:35 PM

Peyton plays week 1. thumbs up yes down no.

3. heavythumb says: Aug 26, 2011 10:38 PM

I didn’t expect him to start Favre-ing for at least three more years.

4. nyyankeedave says: Aug 26, 2011 10:40 PM

I was too busy paying attention to Sam Ryan.

5. falconsphan says: Aug 26, 2011 10:41 PM

My hero!!!

6. benh999 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:42 PM

I smell another Oreo Dunk-Off championship!

7. gtorlone says: Aug 26, 2011 10:46 PM

Is Bill Polian the coach of the Colts.. or is it Jim Caldwell? Why doesn’t anybody ask Caldwell who he thinks should start week one if Manning can’t go?

8. bane1968 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:50 PM

They’ll have to hide his helmet to keep him off the field. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t play. I won’t be surprised if he stinks up the joint, but I think he’ll play.

9. bobbyb06073 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:53 PM

He really means, “Yeah, I hope I don’t lose my streak”….

10. tiffpats4eva says: Aug 26, 2011 10:54 PM

Kenboslice’s comment is spot on.

11. goatcheez says: Aug 26, 2011 10:58 PM

this picture is hilarious. LOL man he looks like a 65 year old Kansas native.

12. bloodhawk23 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:59 PM

This sucks for the colts, without Peyton they turn into the browns

13. thekingdave says: Aug 26, 2011 11:07 PM

Mark it down, he’s playing. As a Texan fan, I want it. Time to send a message that the tide’s turning.

14. backindasaddle says: Aug 26, 2011 11:13 PM

He’ll do everything he can to play…not because he’s ready…but rather because he’s far more concerned with his consecutive starts record. Peyton is hugely concerned with his stats and how he’ll go down in history. He knows he’s never going to match Brady/Montana/Bradshaw etc… in Superbowl victories, so he wants to pad his stats in every other fashion he can.

He’s a great QB…no doubt. But stats mean everything to him now.

15. djaehne says: Aug 26, 2011 11:20 PM

He’ll be out there come week one. Bet on it.
    While avoiding Mario Williams, JJ Watt will
    crush him.

16. iamgoodkid says: Aug 26, 2011 11:23 PM

colts suck balls how can you give up 8 points in the final 49 seconds thats pure sucking football

17. iamgoodkid says: Aug 26, 2011 11:24 PM

then you give up another 3 points thats 11 points in that last 55 seconds thats suck balls

18. randallcunninghamtheog says: Aug 26, 2011 11:25 PM

Pad his stats? You’re an idiot, you’re getting to watch one of the best QBs of all times and you’re talking padding stats… you’re a knucklehead.
    Why don’t you go complain that sun is too bright and the grass is too green, moron.

19. pecosbob says: Aug 26, 2011 11:29 PM

Paaayyyytonnnn, come out and plaaaaayyyy! We’ll work on that neck problem of yours – sonofbum

20. joelvis72 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:30 PM

Sam Ryan’s hair looked a little dirty but I couldn’t stop watching her too for some reason.

21. babyjebus says: Aug 26, 2011 11:39 PM

Peyton will play, I don’t know where this “nerves gotta regrow” crap came from, it takes up to a year or more for nerves to fully regenerate. Unless they actually “cut” a nerve on accident during a surgery, he does not have to “re-grow” a nerve.

There are incredible therapies for drastically improving recovery these days, including laser therapy and ARP (Accelerated Recovery Performance) therapy…

I would assume that being a world class athlete… Peyton is accessing the best rehab available. He will be ready.

22. bane1968 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:35 AM

He might play, but no way will he “be ready”. He usually spends all the OTAs and all of camp to get his timing down with his receivers. That finesse thing isnt “seat of your pants” football. That offense is a machine because they practice like one. He very well may start game 1, but he’s not going to be playing the Colts ball we’ve grown accustomed to for quite a while. Texans, if ever you had a year, this is it.

23. mkepackfan says: Aug 27, 2011 12:37 AM

Season opener in the Double Stuff Oreo Racing League maybe.

Peyton and annoying little brother Eli vs Venus and Serena Williams.

Peyton may have a sub .500 playoff record but he’s the clubhouse odds on favorite in the DSORL

24. hobartbaker says: Aug 27, 2011 12:39 AM

All the games will be sold out as the Peyton Manning quadrapalegia watch begins.

25. hobartbaker says: Aug 27, 2011 12:43 AM

Always the consumate team guy, Peyton has the Colt horseshoe logo tattooed on the polo shirt and hat he got for free, and the Gatorade symbol tattooed on the cup that holds his beer.

26. bdert says: Aug 27, 2011 12:53 AM

This player has been in playoff contention more than any other QB in the last decade…Gotta be the best regular season QB ever…But in the playoffs?? he’s below average… *Shrugs*

27. presidentjesus says: Aug 27, 2011 1:01 AM

PUP.

28. bane1968 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:23 AM

@bdert: I don’t think that’s a fair assessment. I root for one of his AFC South competitors, so Manning has been a bane for my team for a long time, but, Manning IS the Colts. They are a very average to below average team without him. He has playoff failures because he runs into good teams that can overcome him while his team can’t pick up the slack. Good teams pick each other up. Pressure the QB and they’ll eat you alive with the run game and screens etc. Good teams have defenses that give you good field position and turn overs. Good teams can burn clock. The Colts have rarely been capable of any of that. Manning hasn’t had that luxury for much of his career. It’s all been on his shoulders, and with all that in mind, he’s been pretty damn awesome. I would love to see what he could have done if he’d played for somebody like the Pats. I really think he’s a much better player than many people realize. He made a very mediocre franchise a contender for most of his career. Not many players at any position can say that.

29. football58 says: Aug 27, 2011 3:20 AM

He will play. Not sure how many years Manning has left, but he has been a joy to watch.

30. Wisconsin77 says: Aug 27, 2011 4:50 AM

Peyton Manning will do whatever is best for his public image.

31. jaydog76 says: Aug 27, 2011 5:35 AM

backindasaddle says:
    Aug 26, 2011 11:13 PM

He’s a great QB…no doubt. But stats mean everything to him now.

2018

*****************************************
    dude, ur a moron.

32. jaydog76 says: Aug 27, 2011 5:39 AM

One thing that I grew tired of fast was the way the “analysts” seemed to be tea bagging Rogers the entire first half. Yeah, the kid is good and he has potential, but a Manning or Brady, he isn’t yet..

33. hookset12 says: Aug 27, 2011 6:52 AM

I’d say there’s a 3% chance he abruptly retires in the next two weeks.

34. axespray says: Aug 27, 2011 9:23 AM

bloodhawk23 says:Aug 26, 2011 10:59 PM
    “This sucks for the colts, without Peyton they turn into the browns”

nah man, the browns have an oline/runningbacks that can make them somewhat competitive…
    The colts without Peyton are basically the 08 lions, but with a solid pass rush.

35. jasonculhane says: Aug 27, 2011 10:01 AM

In the picture he kinda looks out of shape. Does he really actually think he can just wing it? He’s never been considered a great athlete. Has he even been working out?

36. ericwitt2117 says: Aug 27, 2011 10:08 AM

Listen I had this procedure. They warn you of possible nerve damage and potentional inability to raise your arm (in his case throwing arm) for 6 months. Colts fan this is a serious injury, this isn’t some hamstring injury its his spine/nerves. His career is the important focus.

37. backindasaddle says: Aug 27, 2011 12:45 PM

jaydog76 says:
    Aug 27, 2011 5:35 AM
    backindasaddle says:
    Aug 26, 2011 11:13 PM

He’s a great QB…no doubt. But stats mean everything to him now.

2018

*****************************************
    dude, ur a moron.

*****************************************

What’s the matter ‘jaydog76′?????

Did I shatter your vision of your hero???