Ravens’ Doss gets a burger, halts a knife attack before game

Tandon Doss AP

Ravens rookie receiver Tandon Doss stopped for a burger at Five Guys before playing in Thursday night’s preseason game against the Redskins. He ended up playing hero to a man who was getting attacked inside the restaurant.

Doss wrote about the incident on Twitter, saying, “Jus had to break up a fight at five guys. Baltimore is too ratchet!!!”

After the game against the Redskins, reporters asked Doss about his Twitter posts, and Doss expanded on what happened.

I saw somebody start fighting, and I broke it up,” Doss said. “That’s all it was to me. . . . I mean, it was two dudes on one. I was trying to help the situation out. I broke it up.”

Doss may have saved the man’s life: According to Baltimore police, two former Five Guys employees attacked the manager with a knife, and the manager had to be treated for a cut on his chin.

The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Doss said after the game that he was just doing what he thought was right.

“I saw the guy on the ground bleeding, and I saw a guy on top hitting him,” he said. “So I stopped it.”

A fourth-round draft pick from Indiana, Doss had some people on Twitter hailing him as a hero and others telling him it was stupid to get into the middle of a potentially dangerous situation. Doss told the critics he’d never just stand by and watch someone get attacked.

“I’m not gunna sit there and let someone get jumped idk where ur from but we don’t do that in Indy,” Doss wrote.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh said the first he heard of it was when reporters questioned him about it after the game.

“I’m not on Twitter,” he said. “I’ll be looking into that.”

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
76 Responses to “Ravens’ Doss gets a burger, halts a knife attack before game”
  1. cornellsteelers says: Aug 26, 2011 8:49 AM

Welcome to Charm City, Tandon!

2. realitypolice says: Aug 26, 2011 8:49 AM

A Five Guys burger before a game?

Good Lord- after I eat there I can barely manage to walk back to my car.

3. sappdaddy99 says: Aug 26, 2011 8:51 AM

Too bad he wasnt around when Ray Lewis was murdering people. Just sayin.

4. dblockdedicated says: Aug 26, 2011 8:53 AM

Doss be a Boss

Real Talk

5. footballdog says: Aug 26, 2011 8:54 AM

Thank you for your empathy Tandon. I hope more people can think like you.

6. orakpownd says: Aug 26, 2011 8:55 AM

Bmore..get a burger ..watch a knife fight…long to drive back to NOVA.

7. sllib12 says: Aug 26, 2011 8:56 AM

baltimore a crime infested dump.

8. rayvens says: Aug 26, 2011 8:57 AM

As a resident of Baltimore for over 20yrs…let me tell u Doss, “Next time call the cops” I cant tell u how many ppl get injuried(or killed) for something that has not thing to do with them.

9. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Aug 26, 2011 8:58 AM

Hope he makes the team now. Baltimore is the ghetto of the east coast.

10. woofdwolf23 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:00 AM

cornellsteelers is a hater and not very original.

11. oranjellojones says: Aug 26, 2011 9:01 AM

Score one for the good guys. Nice move Doss.

12. jimmysee says: Aug 26, 2011 9:03 AM

I’d love to have Tandon on my team.

13. nokoolaidcowboy says: Aug 26, 2011 9:03 AM

Why do these guys go running to twitter with everything? Tooting your own horn?

That aside, he’s in shape and got involved. He could’ve dialed 911 but who knows how long that could take. He’s fortunate that his getting involved did not escalate the matter. His team sees him as an investment and coach will probably be talking to him about this.

14. skoobyfl says: Aug 26, 2011 9:03 AM

I would avoid five guys if you want to stay in shape.

15. willyalistentothis says: Aug 26, 2011 9:05 AM

Before a football game? Tandon, when they told you that Five Guys would make you explosive, they were not talking about your speed.

16. jdfrox says: Aug 26, 2011 9:06 AM

Yeah, Baltimore is the only city where a disgruntled ex-employee would attack his former employer. Never see that anywhere else.

17. richm2256 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:08 AM

Multiple suspects, with a knife, in Baltimore….. ?

Anyone check Ray-Ray’s alibi?

18. tatum064 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:13 AM

Cue the “Ray Lewis Murder alibi” smack.

So predictable.

19. realitypolice says: Aug 26, 2011 9:13 AM

willyalistentothis says:
    Aug 26, 2011 9:05 AM
    ==========================

Now that’s funny.

20. hoobsher says: Aug 26, 2011 9:16 AM

props for five guys burgers.

21. 3octaveFart says: Aug 26, 2011 9:16 AM

Those guys must have been really distraught about losing their one-in-a million minimum wage jobs.

22. humbleminded85 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:21 AM

@sappdaddy99

Who did he kill? Name them? Oh you mean when his childhood friends decided to commit murder like the animals they are, and over ten years later you don’t wanna get your facts right. Its truely sad what his friends did, im not defending those garbage human beings what so ever, but to keep saying Lewis is a murderer just shows how bad your parents raised you. P.S. Lewis did commit obstruction of justice so why not call him a obstructioner or somethin? The murdered thing is just old and lame.

23. jeffsmoker says: Aug 26, 2011 9:25 AM

Someone get Tandon Doss all 5 seasons of the Wire so he can learn what not to do in Baltimore. Also Go live outside the city or in annapolis then only drive in for games and get out.

24. bigred12 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:29 AM

Maybe he should have called Omar for backup.

25. paulbrownsrevenge says: Aug 26, 2011 9:30 AM

I’ve been to Baltimore twice while I was stationed in Quantico, VA. First time got my car broken into. Second time a friend of mine went outside of the bar we were in and got jumped by 3 guys. They took his cell phone and wallet. I lost all respect for that city.

26. thephantomstranger says: Aug 26, 2011 9:31 AM

That was a dangerous situation and breaking it up shows a lot of courage. You can dial 911 but by the time the cops got there the guy could be seriously injured or worse. Great job and praise God everything turned out okay. Looks like he’s a good receiver too.

27. essentialsausage says: Aug 26, 2011 9:31 AM

Keep him on the roster and give him a raise!

28. m2karateman says: Aug 26, 2011 9:35 AM

rayvens says:
    Aug 26, 2011 8:57 AM

———————————————————-

You ever heard the saying “When seconds count, the police are minutes away”? Tell me, would you have wanted him to stay out of it if you had been the manager getting attacked? Or how about if that manager was a family member of yours? Still want him to walk away?

Tandon Doss did what more people in this country SHOULD do, stop a crime when you see it happening. Did he put himself at risk? Yes. But risks need to be taken to stop a crime. Not getting involved keeps you safe, but allows crime to run rampant up and until it happens to you. And when that happens, you’ll probably be the one bitching because nobody stopped to help you.

Nicely done Tandon. I am now a fan of yours and hope you have a long and successful career.

(Oh, and you should have beaten the daylights out of the two guys attacking the manager…..but at least you stopped the altercation).

29. motherscratcher23 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:35 AM

Those are good burgers dude.

30. loripetty says: Aug 26, 2011 9:40 AM

Eating a cheeseburger before we go stretch and all that? Better get Rex Ryan on this, that’s unacceptable! :)

31. truthserum4u says: Aug 26, 2011 9:41 AM

sappdaddy99 says:
    Aug 26, 2011 8:51 AM

Too bad he wasnt around when Ray Lewis was murdering people. Just sayin.

==========================

Please, Ray didn’t commit murder, He simply helped out those who did.

32. truthserum4u says: Aug 26, 2011 9:46 AM

Upon review of the security tape, Commissioner Goodell fined Doss a game check for a hit to the head.

33. thegreatwhitemidget says: Aug 26, 2011 9:47 AM

Now I’m feeling hungry and patriotic

34. jdfrox says: Aug 26, 2011 9:49 AM

paulbrownsrevenge says:
    Aug 26, 2011 9:30 AM

——————————————-

Interesting. I’ve been going to Baltimore my entire life and have never had my car broken into or gotten into a fight there. Where the hell were you hanging out?

Look, Baltimore, like any other city, has some real problems. But unless you live there, there is little to no reason to go anywhere but the inner harbor and the stadiums and unless you are looking for trouble, it will rarely find you there. How many scenes from The Wire took place in those areas?

35. seabreezes51 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:52 AM

I’m thinkin a local commercial contract from 5 Guys would be a nice way to thank him……… Hear that, one of you five guys?

36. dhudge says: Aug 26, 2011 10:03 AM

To all you B’more & R.Lewis haters out there…

Get a life, would you?
    Baltimore is NOT anymore “crime infested” than any other city…period! For those who claim bad experiences here and vow never to come back…good riddance! “Stupid is what stupid does”…you probably left your (unlocked) car on a street with little light.

…and Ray Lewis did NOT murder anyone DUMB@$$’s! He made a poor decision to hang out with some bad people from his past. It happened 11 yrs ago…he was young and dumb…and I think his behavior since than exemplifies the kind of character he truly has. Get over it!

37. abninf says: Aug 26, 2011 10:05 AM

—————————————————

They do that in Philly.

38. citiciti says: Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Thank You Mr.Doss!

39. granadafan says: Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Great job, Doss! Of course being 6’3″ and over 200 pounds may have helped. :-)

Put these animals away for life as they are obviously useless to society.

40. ihavea2inchpenis says: Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM

twitter:Chapman_Jamie says:
    Aug 26, 2011 8:58 AM
    Hope he makes the team now. Baltimore is the ghetto of the east coast.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U must have never been to camden nj or north Philadelphia.

41. jobotjones says: Aug 26, 2011 10:12 AM

What people seem to be missing here is that an NFL player in this situation is pretty much qualified to diffuse a situation like this. Whether it be from training or just growing up in a rough area.

He has to be smart and safe but Doss probably just picked the guy up off the victim and tossed him in the corner head first.

42. supashug says: Aug 26, 2011 10:12 AM

half the posts about bmore are from NOVA where no one speaks ingles and is tied to… DC which is the true crime dump of the east, Philly which is too easy to comment on or Pitt where no one has a job

kudos is all that is needed, wish more people were like Doss

43. calminknowledge says: Aug 26, 2011 10:13 AM

tatum064 says:
    Aug 26, 2011 9:13 AM
    Cue the “Ray Lewis Murder alibi” smack.

So predictable.

As predictable as the “cue the” comments…
    you are a dufus, just shut up.

44. pftwstbshmc says: Aug 26, 2011 10:19 AM

Kudo’s to Tandon. Thanks for being real and doing the right thing instead of looking the other way. Could this have turned ugly for him – yes. Could this have ended any hopes of him being an NFL player if things went wrong – yes. Could the victim have been seriously injured or killed – who knows, but Tandon wasn’t about to find out. Glad you were there and glad you didn’t ignore what was happening. Not a fan of your team, but will be wishing you a long successful career (except against my team of course).

45. golonger says: Aug 26, 2011 10:19 AM

jobotjones – the dumbest comment i have ever read

46. nesuperfan says: Aug 26, 2011 10:32 AM

granadafan says:Aug 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Great job, Doss! Of course being 6’3″ and over 200 pounds may have helped.

Put these animals away for life as they are obviously useless to society.
    __________________________________

I am not a big guy, but I still would have stepped in, although in a slightly different way: I would have taken out the legal pistol I carry, turned on the laser sight, and pulled the trigger, if he didn’t get off after being warned.

47. denardsbig10inchdong says: Aug 26, 2011 10:32 AM

anyone taking jabs at this guy for helping a complete stranger out is a complete moron.

48. jobotjones says: Aug 26, 2011 10:32 AM

Yea well I wasn’t talking to the likes of you!

49. fcs34 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:48 AM

I can’t even think of anything funny or negative to say about this one. Tandon Doss is big man, and not just in stature.

50. dallasbaby says: Aug 26, 2011 10:50 AM

Way to be a stand-up guy, Tandon. How many people in those situations have a chance to help someone out and just look the other way? Always good to see someone exhibiting character.

51. steelnucs says: Aug 26, 2011 10:52 AM

By “stopped” it, I hope he means beat the crap out of the guys who were attacking the manager.

Sounds like a guy with his head on straight, hope he makes the team.

52. dayumyou says: Aug 26, 2011 10:54 AM

Bodymore is a dump…murder capitol of the country….rat infested hole…I have lived here for 50 years so take it to the bank…I’m laughing at all all these idiot baltimorons who are in denial….I’m sure most of them NEVER enter the city except to watch a Raven’s game…and the majority of the fans are drunks who cannot hold their liquor….look at the fight that broke out after the KC game and that was a pre-season game for god’s sake.

I’m just glad the dude wasn’t hurt…and yea right Ray Ray didn’t kill anyone he just helped his buddies murder two people.

53. bdickey33 says: Aug 26, 2011 10:56 AM

Golonger and jobotjones need to learn to copy and paste

54. cbass59 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:00 AM

Typical Baltimore. Everyone knows you walk one or two blocks from the Inner Habor and you’re playing with your life.

No one live is Baltimore by choice. Even the Colts left.

55. cbass59 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:01 AM

Typo correction:

No one lives in Baltimore by choice. Even the Colts left.

56. waitingguilty says: Aug 26, 2011 11:03 AM

I just hope these guys were not on Marlo Stanfield’s crew…Tandon would be in big trouble.

57. silversun60 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:05 AM

The best part of this story is Jim Harbaugh basically saying “What’s a twitter?”

58. silversun60 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:06 AM

my bad… John Harbaugh.

59. whatchutalkinabouthillis says: Aug 26, 2011 11:12 AM

Who are these people that say they wouldn’t help someone that was possibly being stabbed to death? Do you want people walking by when your life is in peril because it’s “too dangerous”. How selfish.

60. mswravens says: Aug 26, 2011 11:15 AM

Tandon Doss – you are a stud! Bless you for doing the right thing. Of course you risked your own well-being…I’d like to think I’d do the same, but no one knows how they would act until presented with the situation. You are a welcome member of our community!!!

…and to all the Bmore haters…I’m a conservative white guy, but I am soooooooo sick & tired of all you people who cower in the surrounding counties & complain about Bmore. Over the last 20 years I have been in this City almost every day, living & working in Bmore. I have NEVER been the victim of crime, nor do I know any of my friends & family to have been victims of crime. If you are not involved in drugs or domestic violence, your chance of being a crime victim in Bmore is no different than in the suburbs, and it’s the same story for every other large city in this country. So give it a rest & comment on football…

61. jessieboom says: Aug 26, 2011 11:22 AM

A Raven had Five Guys in his mouth? Not surprised at all.

62. cbass59 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:29 AM

Who’s cowering and complaining?

Baltimore is fun for about 30 minutes and then everyone wants to go to DC (to have fun and not risk their life)

63. dayumyou says: Aug 26, 2011 11:31 AM

@mswravens get your head out of your butt before you smother yourself….I call BS on you…I grew up in Remington in the heart of the city…..parents are both Bodymore cops….I do not hate Baltimore but I think we need to drug test you!!!

I Know what I’m talking about..can’t say the same about you.

Murder capitol of the county says not me but the FBI…while Pittsburgh is the 7th safest city in the country…look it up before spreading your lies.

64. nickster31 says: Aug 26, 2011 11:44 AM

Next time, don’t forget Rays burger!

65. zeussuperman says: Aug 26, 2011 11:46 AM

This guy is a class act. I have no idea if the kid can play or not, but if he can, I’d want him on my team.

66. mswravens says: Aug 26, 2011 11:54 AM

@dayumyou – really??? How do I not know what I’m talking about??? You think I’m lying about not having been a victim of crime or knowing a victim of crime??? Think whatever you want to satisfy your small mind…and why don’t you consider for a second that your mommy & daddy spent their careers dealing with the worst segments of society. Might that cause them to have a warped view of the City as a whole? No, I’m sure they are both saints and geniuses and whatever they say is gospel truth…

I know the stats – and we’re not the murder capital, by the way, so who needs to check themselves??? You can think what you want, but my experiences are what they are…and I know & have been to Remington and lots of other nasty places around town. And I still have not been the victim of crime. So what???

Did I say anything about Pittsburgh? What lies was I telling? It’s not like I was commenting about all the fat, toothless Pennsyltucky rednecks or anything, was I???

I guess it’s a good thing you left since you obviously aren’t man or woman enough to handle this scary, scary, place, LOL!!!

67. mswravens says: Aug 26, 2011 12:07 PM

@dayumyou – just happened across your 1st post & thought it would be interesting to compare it to something you said in your 2nd post:

1st post:

2nd post:

I do not hate Baltimore but I think we need to drug test you!!!

OK – so who is the liar, or perhaps drug induced moron now??? Having now seen your 1st post, say what you will. I won’t be responding to you. You aren’t worth the price of my spit.

68. valman61 says: Aug 26, 2011 12:29 PM

Nesuperfan:

I’m not sure where you’re from, but on the east coast it is nearly impossible to have a license to carry a loaded weapon. If you’re not law enforcement, which an NFL player clearly isn’t, you would actually get in more trouble stopping the crime using your weapon than those actually committing it. I’m not saying I don’t make the rules, but were all forced to follow them.

69. dayumyou says: Aug 26, 2011 12:32 PM

@mswravens…sorry to get you so worked up there….I still live in bodymore as does my family…..please get yourself tested cause a mind is a terrible to waste and baltimore still sucks no matter what YOU may think!

70. nesuperfan says: Aug 26, 2011 12:59 PM

@valman61 It is actually pretty easy in New Hampshire, where I am from. You cannot be denied unless you meet very specific disqualifying criteria (felon, mentally unstable, restraining order).

Currently, it is even major news here that our legislature will hopefully be overriding our liberal governor’s veto of a bill (it passed by a margin that was greater than needed to override) that would expand the use of firearms for self-defense, and the defense of others, beyond our own properties. It also includes provisions to decriminalize the displaying of a weapon as a warning, and blocks civil suits against the firearm owner.

Personally, after the Supreme Court decision in McDonald v. Chicago, I expect many of these laws will be loosened greatly as they are challenged anew.

71. Steeler's Will says: Aug 26, 2011 1:41 PM

Third attempt to make it past the eye in the sky…

Well done, Doss! Keep being a good citizen, the world needs more of those.

As for the attackers, they were lucky it was a WR and not one of the front seven.

72. Deb says: Aug 26, 2011 2:36 PM

I’m thankful Doss wasn’t hurt, and that he was willing and able to step in and help the victim. Well done!

Love 5 Guys. Only eat there about once a year, but best burgers in the world … yum. Shame people can’t go into a burger joint and eat in peace. But two former employees chose to attack a manager. That could have just as easily occurred in any town or city in the nation. It’s not about Baltimore.

73. birdmantd says: Aug 26, 2011 4:47 PM

If he gets cut they should give him a job with Ravens security if he wants. Seriously.

74. ravenator says: Aug 26, 2011 5:45 PM

Really people?! You’re going to take a jab at a guy because he stopped a fight? He put himself in harms way to do the right thing. Those criticizing him need to seriously look at themselves in the mirror. Grow up. I bet if you were that manager, you’d be calling him a saint. Stupid inbreds, I swear.

75. yukon672010 says: Aug 26, 2011 9:01 PM

I feel the brain cells being sucked from my head when I read the comments section on this site. I have never seen so many 20 somethings who live in their parents basement and work the 3rd shift at 7eleven.

Nowhere does this story have anything to do with Pittsburgh. The unemployment rate there must be 50 %, because every story, regardless of topic, has 100 ignorant, arrogant comments from steeler fans, clearly with nothing better to do (like work) during the day.

Get off the food stamps, get a life, get a girl, stop downloading so much porn, stop pretending PITT is a real college football team, get a job, stop smoking so much pot, and get out of your parents basement.

76. Deb says: Aug 26, 2011 9:45 PM

yukon672010 …

Any story mentioning Steelers has 100 childish, vulgar snipes from Ravens fans. If I believed blog comments represent an entire community–or that kids who make these posts care what I think–I’d rant as you have. But I’m smarter than that.