Byron Leftwich breaks his arm

Byron+Leftwich+5Dm1CwwHCJ9m Getty Images

There were points — and injuries — a plenty in Pittsburgh on Saturday night.

The good news for Pittsburgh is that the ankle injury suffered by center Maurkice Pouncey appears to be minor.  After the 34-16 win, coach Mike Tomlin told reporters that Pouncey’s aggravation of his ankle injury from the 2010 postseason “shouldn’t be a major deal.”  Tomlin seemed to suggest that the injury affected scar tissue from the past sprain.

The newest wasn’t as good for veteran quarterback Byron Leftwich.  He suffered a broken arm.  Tomlin said that the former top-ten draft pick will be out for a while.

“I’m sure it’ll be an extended period of time,” Tomlin said.

The injury leaves the Steelers with three healthy quarterbacks:  Ben Roethlisberger, Dennis Dixon, and Charlie Batch.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Byron Leftwich breaks his arm”
  1. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:10 PM

MERCY.

2. trbowman says: Aug 27, 2011 11:11 PM

Looks like Dixon isn’t getting cut/traded after all.

3. cbass59 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:14 PM

FORK!

There WAS a good chance Dixon was going to be traded. Not likely now. Why can’t Leftwich stay healthy for one full game???

4. flagstaffphotos says: Aug 27, 2011 11:15 PM

Dang – how many other teams have 3 backup qb’s on the roster who ALL have winning records as a backup for the team? Good thing they weren’t in a big hurry to trade Dixon this preseason, despite the media constantly calling for his trade.

5. iamgoodkid says: Aug 27, 2011 11:15 PM

6. forthelove says: Aug 27, 2011 11:16 PM

That picture just makes me think, “there’s that wind-up.”

7. scoboscobs says: Aug 27, 2011 11:16 PM

Doesn’t really hurt them…Dennis Dixon is comparable if not better and Batch is one of the better 3rd quarterbacks in the league.

8. finsfrontofficeisajoke says: Aug 27, 2011 11:17 PM

I hate the Steelers, but I wouldn’t mind any of those three qb’s starting for my Fins, except maybe Ben, and not for lack of talent. I think they’ll be just fine.

I like Leftwich, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

9. cobrala2 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:20 PM

Nice photo.

10. djaehne says: Aug 27, 2011 11:26 PM

Sorry to hear that. Thats gotta be minimum
    8 wks. Ouch.

11. redskinspike says: Aug 27, 2011 11:27 PM

Sucks for him.. But those backups aren’t bad. I think Dennis Dixon is widely underrated.

12. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Aug 27, 2011 11:28 PM

Cant he still hold a clipboard with a broken arm?

13. marjax says: Aug 27, 2011 11:31 PM

@iamgoodkid what the bloody hell are you rambling about?

14. rajbais says: Aug 27, 2011 11:40 PM

Did the ‘long release’ play a factor???

15. tobiathan says: Aug 27, 2011 11:46 PM

It’s so cute how the self-appointed holier-than-thou’s try to bash Big Ben while back-handedly admitting how much they wish he was on their team.

Apparently some of you tw@ts missed the memo:

Big Ben = no charges EVAR = not effing guilty.

Innocent until proven guilty; not “guilty by accusation.

If all it takes to make someone guilty of something is for someone else to say they are then i say all the Big Ben haters are closet man-lovers and POOF: they magically are!

Morons.

16. kosarsmyidol says: Aug 27, 2011 11:54 PM

Leftwich has the worst luck. He’ll bounce back, though.

17. progress2011 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:58 PM

Leftwich / 2 left foots is the least athletic person in the league ! He should never-ever-never attempt to walk too fast, let alone run. The guy falls like a tree. Just yell out TIMBERRRRR, whenever he runs. Usually something is sprained, strained or broken when he get up from an attempted run.
    I think he is a good guy and has good mechanics and knowledge of the game, he just doesnt have the body to endure the game. I think he would make a better quarterback coach etc.

18. DonRSD says: Aug 27, 2011 11:58 PM

you think the steelers release him?
    this may the end for Leftwich

19. buckfigben says: Aug 28, 2011 12:07 AM

“Broke and yellow, Broke and yellow, Broke and yellow!!!

20. icewalker946 says: Aug 28, 2011 12:11 AM

tobiathan says:
    Aug 27, 2011 11:46 PM

Big Ben = no charges EVAR = not effing guilty.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    I’ve been given one ticket for speeding yet I speed a lot. Just because I’m not caught or not charged does not mean I’m not guilty of speeding.

OJ was found not guilty, too. Not because he didn’t do it but because the jury didn’t think the prosecutors proved their case.

The court of public (or in this case PFT) opinion is a different story. I do see your point, however.

21. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 28, 2011 12:26 AM

Kinda looks like the right-handed black Tebow…but the white Vick is much better looking.

22. finsfrontofficeisajoke says: Aug 28, 2011 12:34 AM

So character doesn’t play into player selection? Allowing yourself to wind up in questionable situations TWICE doesn’t raise any red flags for you? Why do some fans constantly turn a blind eye to the obvious in regards to their favorite team?

Keep drinking the kool-aid, bro. Fact is, I’m entitled to my opinion, and I personally wouldn’t want a suspected rapist as the leader of my team. Deal with it.

23. dabearsk says: Aug 28, 2011 12:44 AM

Gotta go thumbs down on the guy who said Leftwich has good mechanics…is Leftwich a pitcher or a qb ? That windup of his is ridiculous… Kind of cool pic though…Too bad he got hurt…

24. steelcurtainn says: Aug 28, 2011 12:44 AM

Never fails…….starting up with the injuries already. Good thing we have two productive qbs in Dixon and Batch. At least we dont have to worry about cutting one now.

25. CKL says: Aug 28, 2011 12:48 AM

I haven’t seen anything as big and made of glass as Leftwich is since I worked in my last office building.

26. silkyjohnson937 says: Aug 28, 2011 1:10 AM

Its not like a broken arm can make his release much slower.

27. tile84 says: Aug 28, 2011 1:38 AM

tobiathan says:
    Aug 27, 2011 11:46 PM

Big Ben = no charges EVAR = not effing guilty.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

he payed her off moron.

28. wiscnsnpatfan says: Aug 28, 2011 1:48 AM

@marjax–AMEN! @iamgoodkid…what the hell is wrong with you? Every comment you post is a 50 word glob of crap. Did you get past 2nd grade? Ever hear of punctuation? Start small, add a few periods. Completely incoherent bulls**t.

29. redbeardxxv says: Aug 28, 2011 4:20 AM

buckfigben says:
    Aug 28, 2011 12:07 AM
    “Broke and yellow, Broke and yellow, Broke and yellow!!!

————————————————–
    OMG-I almost pissed myself reading this….it prolly helps that i’m drunk, but I gotta say… BRILLIANT!
    That will be stuck in my head for days….

30. americankris says: Aug 28, 2011 5:38 AM

If leftwich could stay healthy he would still be in Jacksonville

31. goawayeverybody says: Aug 28, 2011 6:28 AM

This looked really bad. I hope he makes a quick full recovery.

32. steelerfan9598 says: Aug 28, 2011 7:36 AM

Every year an injury seems to prevent them from having to cut one of those guys.

BTW, A: Read the police report before you pass judgement.
    B: OJ was actually CHARGED with a crime.

33. crambow says: Aug 28, 2011 8:05 AM

If on-field mobility scooter ramming trends in the NFL this year, all the more reason we’re fortunate to retain Charlie Batch.

34. 3octaveFart says: Aug 28, 2011 8:54 AM

iamgoodkid says: Aug 27, 2011 11:15 PM

“hahaha how about that for a blue’s clues favorite team win 35-32 over the jags congrats blue’s clues. but unfortunately falcons lost thats bad very bad too 34-16 bad bad bad but both teams should make the superbowl this year bills and falcons”

This is what happens folks, when politicians continue to cut funding for education.

35. 1historian says: Aug 28, 2011 1:19 PM

tile84@1:38 a.m.

1) work on your spelling
    2) What are you doing up so late?

30octavefart (AWESOME handle!!!)

education begins AT HOME WITH THE PARENTS

but yours is a point well taken