Skip to content

Perrish Cox misses practice for hearing

Perrish Cox, Chevis Jackson AP

One of the most glaring inconsistencies regarding the current application of the NFL’s personal conduct policiy comes from Denver, where cornerback Perrish Cox faces two years to life in prison on one count sexual assault against a victim who was physically helpless and one count of sexual assault against a victim who was incapable of determining the nature of the conduct.  The police affidavit from the September 2010 incident, which was released only days before the lockout ended, paints a very negative picture for Cox, who told police he didn’t have sex with a woman who passed out at his apartment.

The woman ended up being pregnant with Cox’s child.

Nearly a year later, Cox continues to play for the Broncos, with no discipline of any kind imposed.  On Friday, he missed practice for a court hearing that ultimately was delayed due to a snafu regarding certain evidence that the prosecution had disclosed to Cox’s lawyer.  The hearing has been rescheduled for September 16.

Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger six games (reduced to four) even though he never has been arrested, and Goodell presumably will punish Titans receiver Kenny Britt and Bucs cornerback Aqib Talib for transgressions allegedly occurring during the lockout.  The fact that no action has been taken against Cox, given the nature of the charges pending against him and the evidence detailed in the police report, boggles the mind.

We realize that Cox is entitled to the presumption of innocence, but that privilege wasn’t extended to Roethlisberger, Britt, or Talib.  Moreover, Cox’s persistent denial that he had sex with the alleged victim leaves him with little room to maneuver, given the DNA match between Cox and the fetus.

Cox currently is listed as a third-string cornerback for the Broncos.  Thus, we wouldn’t be surprised if he’s one of the players who becomes a former member of the team between now and September 3.

Maybe, at this point, that’s why the league has yet to take action.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Perrish Cox misses practice for hearing”
  1. hobartbaker says: Aug 27, 2011 12:36 AM

    They will let Cox’ NFL career Perrish of natural causes.

  2. pandapeep says: Aug 27, 2011 12:59 AM

    He’s not likely to get cut as he is a second year player who is the third string corner on a team that has a solid #2 and a hall of famer starting. He showed massive amounts of talent when he started in place of Goodman last year and already had a beautiful pick this preseason. Unless the legal issue becomes too much to deal with, expect him to remain on the team.

  3. atwatercrushesokoye says: Aug 27, 2011 2:10 AM

    pandapeep: I’m not sure I agree with you, obviously Champ and Goodman are locked in as starters right now, Syd’Quan Thompson has shown that he’s probably ready to play nickelback and Cassius Vaughn has looked good, and gotten extensive time with the first team this summer. That’s 4 guys, including 2 young guys, who are ahead of him.

    They could also keep McBath who can play both safety and corner and is a good special teams player.

    Once cuts happen there will also be plenty of other options with much less bagage available.

  4. mmmpieyummy says: Aug 27, 2011 2:12 AM

    What a bunch of BS…this guy shouldn’t even be allowed on the field.

    So Mike…instead of saying it boggles the mind, why not use your powers that be and call the league office to find out why in the hell this POS is not in trouble…yet.

  5. tunesmith says: Aug 27, 2011 2:41 AM

    Huh. I dunno, maybe it’s because in the other cases, there were public disturbances – violence, abuse of power, that were obvious outside of whether a crime was committed. In Cox’s case, aside from the allegations it looks like nothing more than a sleepover. No evidence of drugs, no witness accounts, nothing like that except for a paternity question. I am not sure how the commissioner fills in the blank of, “Even if you’re found innocent of the crime, you’re still guilty of ___”.

  6. rabidmike says: Aug 27, 2011 3:17 AM

    Actions by your employer due not carry the same burden as criminal prosecution. That being said, I don’t believe Mr. Talib or Mr. Britt have been suspended as yet either. One should not suppose that Mr. Cox will not be suspended. At this juncture in his criminal case, a suspension may be premature, given the seriousness of the allegations. It could be possible that the league is waiting for the criminal case, before determining an appropriate suspension. I don’t believe any of the other players you mentioned are or were facing life in prison. And allegations in criminal cases can change based on plea agreements made by counsel based upon the relative strength of their case. The league should wait. Suspend him for a year, 2 years and then he gets life in prison. I can already see how that plays out for the league. If they ban him for life and he is found not guilty or pleads to a significantly lesser charge, that would also be inappropriate. The case should be allowed to progress farther before the league acts. Everyone has a right to a trial and the presumption of innocence. If he enters a plea, the league will act.

  7. CKL says: Aug 27, 2011 6:12 AM

    This guy is the scum of the earth if these allegations are true. I understand that expecting choirboys is completely unrealistic but I would draw a line somewhere before “guys who drug women and rape them”.

  8. joetoronto says: Aug 27, 2011 6:37 AM

    That’s crazy, take out the friggin trash!

  9. txtuff says: Aug 27, 2011 6:42 AM

    Evidence is there, this turd should be banned from the NFL for life!

  10. buffordtjustice says: Aug 27, 2011 7:25 AM

    When I first read the headline, I thought he had a problem with his hearing. Like his ears. I had forgotten about his legal problems.

  11. bendhur says: Aug 27, 2011 8:09 AM

    enough of this sense of entitlements…HANG HIM HIGH!

  12. melikefootball says: Aug 27, 2011 11:06 AM

    Why oh why should he not be suspended the whole year and beyond.

  13. melikefootball says: Aug 27, 2011 11:16 AM

    I had to read this once more. No matter what team you are a fan of or teams you hate this is scum bag stuff. I now see the point of Harrison against the league office and when you figure Ben got 4 games and not charged you do have to shake your head on God-del respone to the three players mentioned. It makes no sense on how much and who gets any action by the league office.

  14. screamingsheep69 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:13 PM

    The immaculate conception.

  15. Deb says: Aug 27, 2011 1:46 PM

    Here’s your answer: “Cox currently is listed as a third-string cornerback for the Broncos.” For Goodell, it’s all about public perception, and Cox isn’t on the public’s radar. If his name were Brees or Brady, it would be a different story.

  16. CKL says: Aug 27, 2011 3:44 PM

    @ Deb,
    I bet you’re right…and that’s disgusting IMO. They think dumb stuff like having women refs may bring more women to the game (they’re wrong, I don’t know a SINGLE woman fan who gives a bleep what gender refs are) but ignoring actual crimes against women won’t make women who are already fans disgusted????
    Great companies first keep their best and most loyal customers.
    If this guy is found guilty and nothing or a sub 1 year suspension is given to him (and not something that runs concurrently with any prison sentence) Goodell WILL be hearing from me in some way. If it were up to me a rapist would be banned for life but I doubt Goodell would do that.
    If he’s found guilty and is allowed to return to the league, can you imagine a woman NFL beat writer having to interview this effing pig knowing he RAPED A WOMAN????
    I am not some PC oversensitive type but to me that is so many clicks past “wrong” I don’t know how strongly I can put it. Jobs where women work should never ever ever EVER have any convicted rapists allowed to work in proximity…EVER.

  17. Deb says: Aug 27, 2011 5:37 PM

    @CKL …

    That’s exactly how Goodell operates, as I posted on the Haynesworth thread. Although the evidence supports his innocence, I backed Roethlisberger’s suspension because his ego had run amok and he needed a serious comeuppance to rein him in. My issue with Goodell isn’t that he suspended Ben. It’s that he changed the rules to do it but hasn’t applied that same conduct standard since.

    Brandon Underwood hired hookers and got into a physical altercation with them that resulted in his innocent teammates being falsely accused of rape. Vince Young, who has a history of behavioral issues, was arrested for assault in a strip club. Perrish Cox will be tried for rape. Haynesworth, who has a history of behavioral issues, pleaded guilty of assault. Not one of these players has been suspended or disciplined in any fashion. But Goodell suspended Ben despite acknowledging NFL Security found no reason to suspect he was guilty of assault. He conducted a season-long investigation of Brett Favre’s two-year-old flirtation when no complaint had even been filed.

    The only difference between Roethlisberger/Favre and these other players is name recognition and public attention.

  18. MichaelEdits says: Aug 27, 2011 8:29 PM

    The lady managed an Immaculate Reception.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!