Reggie Bush busts his butt

Carolina Panthers v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

The impact of running back Reggie Bush on the Miami offense in 2011 remains to be seen.  But there’s no dispute regarding Bush’s level of desire.

As David Hyde of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel explains it, Bush is working hard.

Very hard.

The effort includes regularly catching two trash cans full of football and running sprints and hitting the blocking sled after a two-hour practice has ended.

“I’m all about respect, about earning respect, and the way you do that is hard work,” Bush said.  “That’s one of the things I wanted to show [teammates] right from the start to make people realize, ‘Oh, he’s not just here for glitz and glamour.  He’s the hardest worker out there.’  That’s what I always try to be.”

He has added motivation, now that he has gone from being a role player/decoy in New Orleans to being by all appearances the lead dog in the Dolphins’ backfield.

“I’ve been told what I can’t do for a while by many people,” Bush said. ” ‘You can’t do this, you can’t do that.’  All that’s done is motivate me.  I want to show what I can do.”

If he wants a little extra motivation, Reggie should listen to Saints play-by-play broadcaster Jim Henderson’s recent comments to 1560 the Game in Houston.

Asked to characterize Bush’s legacy in New Orleans, Henderson said, “Somewhat of a constant tease. . . .  He’s one of the greatest practice-field players I ever saw.  And so often — and I saw every game he ever played for the Saints — he’d get the ball in his hands and you’d go ‘Oooooooh’ and it’d be followed with a ‘Uhhhhhhhhh’.  That’s usually the way that it went.

“Reggie was [a] very scintillating performer, had great star power.  But if you really looked at his numbers, he was not a superstar.  He really not even a star.  He was below average in a lot of them.  But he was a person that had marquee value, and I really expected that some team would overpay for him this year just for that.  And I don’t know whether the Dolphins overpaid for him or not at $5.5 million a year but he was due to make nearly 12 [million] with the Saints this year.”

Of course, there’s a much bigger issue than desire.  It’s durability.  Reggie has had plenty of injuries, something he has blamed on the fact that he played his home games on FieldTurf.

Starting in 16 days, when the Fins host the Pats, we’ll find out if Reggie can stay any healthier on grass and infield.

Until then, there’s no denying the fact that he’s working hard as he awaits the official start of the next phase of his career.  The only question is whether it will matter.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Reggie Bush busts his butt”
  1. yankeemofo says: Aug 27, 2011 11:38 AM

2000 rush yds in 5 seasons pretty much sums it up.

2. kmurph1226 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:40 AM

3. We'reFineThere says: Aug 27, 2011 11:44 AM

this is his first contract year since high school…

4. skoobyfl says: Aug 27, 2011 11:46 AM

If Miami could pass, then people might not expect a run.

5. chademer07 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:47 AM

Say what you want about him but the dude deserves some props for this

6. qdog112 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:48 AM

I hope Reggie is for real because I hate the cheatin’ Pats and the overhyped-Jets. Oh yeah and I picked up Bush in my fantasy league, based on what he did to Carolina. I’m not so sure about that move, since they made Cincy look good.

7. tdl8 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:50 AM

Bush is over rated and has a bad case of fumblitis! Every time he gets the ball he looks more like somebody auditioning for Dancing With The Stars than a RB! Those retarded spin moves might work some in college but all they do in the NFL is get you hurt!

8. cwmorga says: Aug 27, 2011 11:52 AM

kmurph1226 says:
    Aug 27, 2011 11:40 AM

——————–

After watching him in practice and preseason prior to each of his 4 seasons following his rookie year, I was convinced he had “figured it out”. He never did, and I see no reason to expect him to “figure it out” in his 6th NFL season. It’s time to accept that Bush is a solid punt returner and servicable receiving threat and third down back.

9. dwntwnbadboy19 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:56 AM

kinda hard to judge a RB in the pass happy offence he was playing in. I am a Bucs fan and was happy to see him leave my division. I can see him shutting some haters up this year(if he stays healthy)

10. dawgpound3 says: Aug 27, 2011 11:59 AM

Speaking of busting butts, im sure reggie bush busted kim kardashian’s butt pretty good

11. mstrshake says: Aug 27, 2011 12:02 PM

2000 rush yds in 5 seasons pretty much sums it up.

————————————————————–
    Did you check hes receiving stats? Or you just trying to drown the guy with hate?

29 TTL TD’s in basically 4 seasons, last year I know he didnt get much work in. All this on a pass happy offense. You do realize that right?

The guy is a workhorse and he seems more dedicated than ever.

12. kayotiicdat says: Aug 27, 2011 12:03 PM

He working hard now, wait until he gets injured.. and trust me that will happen often. As a Saints fan i was glad to see him go. Have fun watching him run backwards Miami and enjoy seeing his cheer from the sideline.

13. hmpennypacker says: Aug 27, 2011 12:16 PM

Sounds like the man’s gearing up to prove he can carry the load. He could be Chad ‘Hand off’ Henne’s new best friend. Lord knows Miami’s passing games’ not gonna win squat!

14. massappeal12345 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:18 PM

The effort includes regularly catching two trash cans full of footballs ………….

I’d rather have the guy throwing those trash can filled with footballs..

15. 6thsense79 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:22 PM

Bush has been in the league for 5 seasons. So far he hasn’t shown he can be a reliable starting running back much less a star running back. Normally with running backs you know within 3 seasons if they’ll be a stellar running back. The only back in the past 20 years I can think of that went 5 seasons underachieving and then went on to put together a string of stellar 1000 yard seasons is Thomas Jones.

$5.5 million for Reggie Bush? Good luck Fins.

16. 6thsense79 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:38 PM

dwntwnbadboy19 says:Aug 27, 2011 11:56 AM

———————————————————-

It’s hard to judge a back in the Saints offense? Oh I beg to differ…

Chris Ivory – Saints – 2010
    137attempts 716yds 5.2yds/carry 5tds

Pierre Thomas – 2009
    147attempts 793yds 5.4yds/carry 6tds

Both were the main rushers for the Saints the past two years. Both put respectable numbers up that would be career season highs for Bush despite splitting carries.

Let’s get this straight….The Saints Offense was suppose to be a perfect fit for Bush due to his supposed multi talents. As I recall Bush entering the league was suppose to be Marshall Faulk 2.0

Stop making excuses for him. Less heralded running backs have been able to do much more toting the rock in the same offense as Bush.

17. heisthejuan says: Aug 27, 2011 12:43 PM

Woodhead is better.

18. 6thsense79 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:46 PM

mstrshake says:Aug 27, 2011 12:02 PM

2000 rush yds in 5 seasons pretty much sums it up.

————————————————————–

The guy is a workhorse and he seems more dedicated than ever.
    ———————————————-
    I never thought I’d here the word “workhorse” used to describe Reggie Bush. Did the definition of workhorse change?

19. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:53 PM

Reggie Bush played for a Head Coach that didn’t know how to use him. Sean Payton is over-rated..he stole Jon Gruden’s way of running a handful of signature plays and disguising them thru multiple formations..he runs the same plays just out of different formations…It’s the Oakland Raiders offense of 1998-2002.

If Reggie Bush played for Homgren, Mike Martz, or even my man Hue Jackson…His status would be in the stratosphere right now.

20. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 27, 2011 12:56 PM

Sean Payton = Jon Gruden wannabe. from the visor he wears to his theatrics on the sidelines.

Once he runs out of Gruden’s starter kit..and teams catch on to what hes doing..I doubt that he’ll be able to adjust and he’ll be exposed as the over rated coach that he happens to be.

21. cw3214 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:00 PM

No matter what Reggie does, I will still remember him crawling on his fists and knees after Sheldon Brown destroyed him. As well as the refs incorrectly calling it an incomplete pass.

22. raider316 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:09 PM

Exactly how many footballs does a trash can hold? 8?

Thanks Reggie for working so hard at your job. Who would have though that was the way its supposed to be.

23. justentertainingthestupid says: Aug 27, 2011 1:17 PM

hmpennypacker says: Aug 27, 2011 12:16 PM

—————————————————-

Hey everyone. STOP RUSHING TO JUDGEMENT AND LET HENNE HAVE A 2ND FULL YEAR IN THE LEAGUE FOR GODS SAKE. You all are so fast to just say “it didn’t work the first year lets just pull the plug”. Do people forget last year was the first full year he got to play? I’m tired of hearing all of your crying and whining “Oh we need and new quarterback who’s going to get the ball down the field WAAAAAAAAAAAA! . GO F YOURSELF. GIVE THE GUY A CHANCE OR HAVE FUN WAITING ANOTHER 3 YEARS TO GROOM A QUARTERBACK!

Sincerely,

I hate all of you

24. goawayeverybody says: Aug 27, 2011 1:18 PM

Hey Reggie why didn’t you bust your ass when you were in New Orleans?

25. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:26 PM

Reggie Bush’s time in New Orleans reminds me of Darren McFadden under Tom Cable.

It’s a sad thing to watch when a coach doesn’t know how to use a explosive player. Lucky for the Saints, defenses were still scared to death of Bush’s big play capability, because they over compensated for him, opening other things up for the offense…Lets watch the Saints offense this year.

26. realdraftgm says: Aug 27, 2011 1:31 PM

Reggie was a star he opened up everything for everyone else and had Marshall Faulk not quite Marshall but about the best receiving numbers since Marshall out of a back. Lets just see how explosive that offense if without Reggie in there. Sproels is good but no Regie.

27. hay1111 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:35 PM

Reggie had all the opportunity in the world to be the lead RB in New Orleans. He just isn’t good enough. The dude makes yards disappear.

28. meeky1985 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:39 PM

he is a better slot receiver/third down back it will prolong his career in this pass happy league

29. kayotiicdat says: Aug 27, 2011 1:40 PM

@Raiderlyfe510:

Are you dumb?? Sean Payton has made a team out of nothing and led them to the NFC Championship with only 6 original players.. Oh lets not forget he’s coached his team to one of if not the best offenses in the game. Oh yea and a Super Bowl. Let me tell ya man, he’s so overrated. Talking like that leads me to believe you’re related to Al Davis.

30. titknocker says: Aug 27, 2011 1:41 PM

pretty sure the saints offense will be just fine w/ brees, colston, sproles, ingram etc. don’t you worry about the saints, unless your team plays them. then be very worried.

31. dwntwnbadboy19 says: Aug 27, 2011 1:42 PM

6thsense79 says:
    Aug 27, 2011 12:38 PM
    dwntwnbadboy19 says:Aug 27, 2011 11:56 AM

———————————————————-

It’s hard to judge a back in the Saints offense? Oh I beg to differ…

Chris Ivory – Saints – 2010
    137attempts 716yds 5.2yds/carry 5tds

Pierre Thomas – 2009
    147attempts 793yds 5.4yds/carry 6tds

———————–

yea dude, trust me, i am not a Bush lover, he was however lined up as a WR or a RB in motion in basically every game because he fit the system… I would like to see him have a 250 carry season before i call him a complete bust.. And maybe I live under a rock? I never once heard him compared to Faulk. Glad Saints picked him 2nd overall though.

32. scomibord says: Aug 27, 2011 1:55 PM

reggie is awesome. I’ve never seen a rb run 40 yards to gain 5. 1 full season played, his rookie year. then the injuries he’s as durable as a wet paper towel

33. jacunn2000 says: Aug 27, 2011 2:28 PM

For where he was drafted, he is a bust. No ways about it. But kudos to him for nailing Kim K.

34. 6thsense79 says: Aug 27, 2011 2:45 PM

=========================

I don’t think a back needs 250+ carries in a season to determine if he can play the position or not. I’ve seen Bush try to bounce running plays to the outside too many times, and seen him pick the wrong hole or lose patience and run past his blockers…..

Reggie is lucky he went to the Saints and not the Texans where the explosive offense hide some of his deficiencies. Does anyone here honestly think he can carry an offense? Because that’s what he would have had to do with the Texans.

35. sieg1234 says: Aug 27, 2011 3:00 PM

Idk whose fault it was, whether Bush refused to switch positions or the Saints just failed to do it, but the point is Reggie Bush is NOT a RB and never will be. He’s a WR that can run a few times a game as well, and that’s what his forte should be – coming out of the backfield in the passing game religiously…then he would eat defenses alive (if he’s healthy of course). He was one of the worst picks at #2 I had ever seen and I called it a year in advance. He just isn’t an NFL quality RB. He can catch, he is explosive IN SPACE (that’s the key), but not between the tackles and he falls if someone sneezes on him.

36. eballa1 says: Aug 27, 2011 3:10 PM

Would have been nice if he would have worked this hard in NOLA

37. nekelund says: Aug 27, 2011 3:22 PM

If only Reggie Bush was all about earning positive yardage running between the tackles, then he might not be having to win over doubters in spite of his obvious physical talent. If NO hadn’t won the Superbowl, Bush would have been out looking for work at least a year earlier.

38. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 27, 2011 3:27 PM

@Kayo

Nah man…I’m the greatest football mind that ever blogged..I’m telling you…Payton is over rated.

I think you’ll realize it this year.

39. dkeyser says: Aug 27, 2011 3:31 PM

raiderlyfe510 says:

———————————————————-
    Were you born under powerlines?? The Saints under Sean Payton has been top 5 in offense, the past 4 years. So when exactly are the other 31 teams going to catch on?? They must be bigger idiots than you if they cant figure it out in 4 years.

40. raiderlyfe510 says: Aug 27, 2011 3:37 PM

To the blogger that called Reggie Bush a bust..you must be dusted.The Saints have contended for championships ever since they drafted him.

To the blogger that said he’s not a RB…what are you smoking? If Reggie Bush was in Chris Johnson’s position, where he can run Outside stretch Zone, or Inside Zone running plays heavy..He’ll be an absolute problem. Payton is an idiot. Plain & simple.

41. kayotiicdat says: Aug 27, 2011 3:38 PM

@raiderlyfe510

There are no factual statements that you can come up with to lead me to believe that he’s overrated. He’s one of the best coaches in the game, ask any top coach in the game and they’ll put Payton right up there with the BB’s of the game. Learn some football and stop talking out of your A$$

42. 6thsense79 says: Aug 27, 2011 4:02 PM

raiderlyfe510 says:Aug 27, 2011 3:37 PM

——————————–
    He’s not a RB. 5+ years in the league says so. It’s funny how other running backs on the Saints can manage to succesfully run between the tackles but somehow poor Bush can’t. And don’t compare Chris Johnson with Bush. I unlike you watch the two and Johnson is light years ahead of Bush as a runner. I’ve seen him make an effort to run between tackles. I’ve seen Johnson chose the right hole when needed. Nobody runs for 2000 yards in a season just by running outside.

Besides Tebow I’ve never seen so much excuses being made for a player. And at least Tebow defenders can say he hasn’t really gotten an oppurtunity to show what he can do….Bush has been in the league 5 years! He’s had 524 carries. He can’t stay healthy and when he does he isn’t an effective runner.

43. Exiled1 says: Aug 27, 2011 4:04 PM

That pic is brutal! Hats off to the photographer for getting the bottom lip being inertia-tossed!

44. goforthanddie says: Aug 27, 2011 4:13 PM

“I’ve been told what I can’t do for a while by many people,” Bush said. ” ‘You can’t do this, you can’t do that.’ All that’s done is motivate me.”

People have said that since you got to the league, it certainly hasn’t motivated you yet.
    The only motivation this hump needs is a week slinging burgers for chump change. Then he might develop a work ethic.

45. CKL says: Aug 27, 2011 4:16 PM

LOL @ that Raiders fan talking crap about Payton not knowing how to use Bush. Payton is one of only a few OC/playcallers who DID know how to make use of Bush. Bush was lucky to have had Payton as a playcaller.

46. liltifer says: Aug 27, 2011 4:35 PM

“He looked impressive running in between the tackles last game. I think he wants to prove the doubters wrong and I could see a strong season from him.”

As a Dolphin fan, I thought the same thing. But Cincinnati looked great against Carolina as well.

However, everything I’ve read about Bush since being in camp, if he fails to succeed as a lead back, it’s not going to be from lack of want-to or hard work.

He’s busting his butt and his messages on Facebook are extremely positive and encouraging.

47. WingT says: Aug 27, 2011 5:13 PM

Can the Saints ask for a partial refund? Seems reasonable to me

48. tunescribe says: Aug 27, 2011 5:23 PM

Misleading headline. I thought this was about an injury.

49. goforthanddie says: Aug 27, 2011 5:27 PM

WingT says: Aug 27, 2011 5:13 PM

Can the Saints ask for a partial refund? Seems reasonable to me

I’m sure the Saints will get their cash back the day after the Heisman people get their trophy back.

50. whatwouldlombardido says: Aug 27, 2011 5:38 PM

Talk is cheap. Catching-notice it’s “catching”, like a receiver-a trashcan full of balls after PRACTICE is easy. Running between the tackles in a real NFL game is hard. If Bush had less of an injury history and busted his butt on the playing field, his words would carry some weight. Tweeting that he’s working hard?! Please! The only thing thats a NFL running back about Reggie Bush is his initials.

51. hateonjags says: Aug 27, 2011 5:46 PM

He aint got nothin on MJD

52. promickey says: Aug 27, 2011 6:06 PM

yankeemofo says:
    Aug 27, 2011 11:38 AM

2000 rush yds in 5 seasons pretty much sums it up.

——————————————————————————————————————————–

Hey genius have you ever played on Field Turf?
    Most likely not because the closest you ever got to a real field is from your TV set being a couch potato. The numbers reflect Bush not being given the opportunity to carry the ball. How many carries over five years is a factor! I’ll bet you never lose from your position on the couch.

53. 504in860 says: Aug 27, 2011 6:10 PM

Yeah, Sean Payton is so overrated that the Raiders didn’t hire him when they had the chance.

Hue Jackson will be the latest in a long line of one-and-done coaches in Oakland.

54. americankris says: Aug 27, 2011 7:17 PM

Reggie should have been a reciever like percy harvin he would have been amazing

he is the youngest too reach 200 receptions

55. oldhamletman says: Aug 28, 2011 11:40 AM

the Phins were insane to get Reggie when
    - the 2 guys they had were avg 4 YPC together with poor blocking and played every game…..
    - they have poor blocking
    - they need a QB

when Reggie gets his butt busted in half before mid season, Ricky isn’t gonna be there with 4.2 yards per carry… then what are they gonna do? start throwing’

56. dolphincritic says: Aug 28, 2011 2:50 PM

The Dolphins have O/L problems that will keep any running back from fulfilling their potential. Vernon Carey looks bad at R/G and there is no clear replacement. Jake Long has that nagging sore knee! We have a Rookie Center and no blocking T/E!

57. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 12:01 PM

Dear Reggie,

We only told you what you couldn’t do when YOU SHOWED US that you couldn’t do it. We only doubted you when YOUR PERFORMANCE gave us reasonable doubt. We all believed in you until you showed us we were foolish for believing. You made us open our mouths and cheer loudly one play. And then on the very next play, you made us throw up in our mouths. We hope the change of scenery works out for you just as much as it worked out for the last Heisman winning running back we traded to the Dolphins. Stay away from the mountains.

Signed,

The Who Dat Nation

58. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 12:29 PM

___________________________________

This has got to be the DUMBEST thing I’ve EVER read on PFT. EVER. Payton used Bush in multiple ways, and he was on the field (whenever he was healthy) in position to make plays plenty of times. When the Dolphins ATTEMPT to make Reggie Bush a “workhorse” running back, we will see how much he was “misused” in New Orleans. And the notion that Sean Payton is overrated is just plain stupid. No need to even address that.

59. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 12:34 PM

___________________________________

Yes the Saints have been contenders since they drafted him, but that has been IN SPITE of Bush and not BECAUSE of Bush. The Saints contending has a lot to do with #9. And you can add to that the fact that the Saints defense was much improved in their Super Bowl season, but I guess the defense was that much better because they played against Bush in practice. I’m a Saints fan and I’m not going to defend Reggie Bush. He is what he is.

60. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 12:40 PM

The notion that Reggie Bush was misused and not properly utilized in New Orleans is baseless and foolish. The fact is he was given plenty of opportunities to use his talents. Sean Payton consistently put him in position to succeed (when he wasn’t injured). And the even more stunning fact is that he was consistently OUTPLAYED by two UNDRAFTED running backs (Pierre Thomas & Chris Ivory). Yeah, I guess him getting outplayed by those guys is Sean Payton’s fault too. Allow me to pull out the same violin I played when Vernon Gholston excused his career as the “Sackless Wonder” by saying Rex Ryan misused him.

61. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 1:41 PM

@promickey Pierre Thomas and Chris Ivory played on the same Field Turf that Reggie Bush played on, yet it did not prevent them from leading the team in rushing. The Field Turf excuse is ridiculously lame.

62. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 2:03 PM

Sproels is good but no Regie.
    ___________________________________

You’re right. SPROLES is no REGGIE. That is his best quality.

63. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 2:22 PM

___________________________________

Five years and counting, and no one has “caught on” to what he’s doing. I probably shouldn’t even respond to a Raiders fan making a comment about head coaches when your team has a new one every five minutes or so. Yeah, Payton’s overrated. So overrated that he led his team to a Super Bowl win. The closest any Raiders coach has gotten to a Super Bowl victory is Bill Callahan’s decisive defeat in Super Bowl XXXVII, in a season that Callahan basically ran the Jon Gruden offense (see whose REALLY a Gruden wannabe?) and the facts to prove it is that the Buccanneers got five picks in that game. After that it’s been a revolving door of coaches, all of whom have sucked big time. There is a chance that Hue Jackson will suck less, but even if he doesn’t, Weird Al Davis will see to it that every year the Raiders will overpay underwhelming players and let talented players walk.

64. pigskinswag says: Aug 29, 2011 4:17 PM

Chris Ivory – Saints – 2010
    137attempts 716yds 5.2yds/carry 5tds

Pierre Thomas – 2009
    147attempts 793yds 5.4yds/carry 6tds
    ___________________________________

Reggie Bush – 2007
    157 attempts 581 yards 3.7 ypc, 4 TD’s

Slightly more carries than two guys who weren’t drafted, a yard and a half less per carry. In this case NUMBERS DON’T LIE.