Florio wrote about the lack of interest surrounding Tiki Barber earlier, which got me thinking: What other big name veterans remain available?
Every year, the list of well-known players unable to get work comes as a surprise. (Even though we know the list is coming.) It seems that there are more notable veterans available than usual following the lockout.
A few free agents other than Tiki that you’d recognize:
2. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, receiver: Last with the Ravens, Housh got new representation to help him find work.
3. Dhani Jones, linebacker: Jones started 16 games on a decent Bengals defense last year.
4. Roy Williams, safety: The one-time Cowboys safety and former Bengal took a job in broadcasting.
5. Clinton Portis, running back: He’s worked out for the Patriots and Dolphins.
6. Leonard Davis, guard: The fact Davis remains available is a reminder the Cowboys waited a year too long to cut him.
7. Tye Hill, cornerback: Last with the Lions, this 2006 first-round pick may be out of chances.
8. Pat Williams, defensive tackle: One-half of the Williams Wall is one of the most surprising guys still available.
9. Mark Clayton receiver: It was believed Clayton was going to return to the Rams, but he may not be healthy yet.
10. J.P. Losman, quarterback: I’m only mentioning him because he went to Tulane.