Packers part ways with Spencer Havner, Brett Swain

Green+Bay+Packers+v+Arizona+Cardinals+Wild+kjHVfKne8EKl Getty Images

With 15 or so players returning from injured reserve to a team that won a Super Bowl without them, it’s safe to say that some recognizable names will be among the cuts that the Packers make over the next week.

First up?  Tight end Spencer Havner and receiver Brett Swain.

The Packers have announced that Havner (pictured) and Swain have been released, along with rookie tackle Theo Sherman.

Havner appeared in 16 games for the Packers in 2009, starting one.  He was waived last September by the Packers, and he ultimately was claimed by the Lions.  The Lions later released Havner in October 2010, after he appeared in five games.

On November 12, the Packers re-signed Havner after placing tackle Mark Tauscher on injured reserve.  Havner appeared in one game before he also landed on injured reserve.

In 2009, Havner caught seven passes for 112 yards and four touchdowns during the regular season.  He added two catches for 16 yards and a touchdown in that wild, 51-45 overtime playoff loss to the Cardinals.

Swain, a seventh-round pick in 2008, appeared in all 20 games last season.  He started in the team’s 31-27 loss to the Patriots.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Packers part ways with Spencer Havner, Brett Swain”
  1. skoobyfl says: Aug 28, 2011 12:27 PM

Havner might gets looks from the Bills & a few other teams for depth.

2. jimmysee says: Aug 28, 2011 12:33 PM

These guys are quality football players. Swain was a special teams monster lost in the NFL’s deepest wide receiver roster.

3. claymath52 says: Aug 28, 2011 12:39 PM

In other news the MN vikings just signed TE Spencer Havner, rookie T Theo Sherman and third-year WR Brett Swain…

4. kibawib says: Aug 28, 2011 12:45 PM

Que the litany of posts from Pucker trolls claiming their castoffs would be starters on most other teams….

5. arzcardinals says: Aug 28, 2011 1:03 PM

He had a good game in the LOSS to the Cardinals!

6. scudbot says: Aug 28, 2011 1:05 PM

kibawib says: “Que the litany of posts…” Ex post facto prognostication based on no knowledge of the skill level of these players could land you a job with ESPN.

7. Little Earthquake says: Aug 28, 2011 1:11 PM

kibawib says: Aug 28, 2011 12:45 PM

____

It’s the truth – deal with it. And learn how to spell.

8. ninjapleazee says: Aug 28, 2011 1:28 PM

Hilarious to read all the Packer fans thinking their reserve scrubs are all SUPER SKILLED hall of famers. LOL … if they’re worth so much gold, why not keep them on the roster… oh thats right… because the entire roster is going to be in the hall of fame… one day…… lol

9. buhbay1c says: Aug 28, 2011 1:28 PM

I’m sure a lot of packer fans are miffed seeing a guy with a mullett get his walking papers. One mullett down 50,000 to go in packerland.

10. cusoman says: Aug 28, 2011 1:34 PM

claymath52 says:
    Aug 28, 2011 12:39 PM

————-

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. The Vikes are DEEP at TE. You have a point on the WR part though…

11. batyuki says: Aug 28, 2011 1:58 PM

Anyone named Brett is undesirable in Green Bay

12. textexington says: Aug 28, 2011 2:18 PM

Vikings love that Packer’s sloppy seconds. Robert “Turd” Ferguson and BrINT Perve come to mind. Go Pack Go!

13. textexington says: Aug 28, 2011 2:19 PM

Packers just won Superbowl XLV.

14. packerfan1000 says: Aug 28, 2011 2:45 PM

Just one request…can we please stop referring to NFL teams like we’re all in 1st grade? That means no more Puckers, no more Vi-queens, no more Donkeys, etc.

15. textexington says: Aug 28, 2011 3:03 PM

Nope sister your request has been denied.

16. ikickgypsies says: Aug 28, 2011 3:07 PM

I agree with packerfan1000 and we also shouldn’t always say that all Packer fans are obese cowtipping inbred trailerdwelling alcoholics who beat their wives after every Packer loss cuz that would just be childish.

17. kennyrogerschicken says: Aug 28, 2011 3:18 PM

kibawib -

Puckers? Really? Grow up, dude.

18. schemefactory says: Aug 28, 2011 3:31 PM

i always liked putting the word “butt” in front of all the team names. like people do with the packers. my favorite is butt-dolphins, butt-raiders, and of course the toronto butt-roughriders.

19. stellarperformance says: Aug 28, 2011 3:52 PM

ikickgypsies says: Aug 28, 2011 3:07 PM
    ———————————————————–

When that’s all you got and all you ever have……go-ahead and throw your darts. Packer fans can take anything you can anonymously toss our way……we’re winners and we’re accustomed to winning. The childish sticks-and-rocks antics such as yours come with the territory. You want to be us but you have trouble saying so. We understand.

20. ikickgypsies says: Aug 28, 2011 3:55 PM

And while we’re at it, let’s put an end to this myth that every year thousands of pets of Packer fans are crushed to death by their owners accidentally falling on them during walks, including small ponies. Urban legend.

21. scoops1 says: Aug 28, 2011 3:55 PM

I liked Swain….great ST role player….

22. ikickgypsies says: Aug 28, 2011 4:26 PM

stellarperformance all I said was that I’m AGAINST everyone talking about packer fans like that.

23. ccous says: Aug 28, 2011 4:41 PM

buhbay1c- a mullet is business in front and party in the back. Swain has long hair, not a mullet.

24. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Aug 28, 2011 4:45 PM

Aug 28, 2011 1:34 PM

claymath52 says:
    Aug 28, 2011 12:39 PM

————-

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. The Vikes are DEEP at TE.
    ________

Yeah, those hammies never linger…

25. carlieatschmidt says: Aug 28, 2011 5:19 PM

if anyone is curious where my doppelgänger got that odd accent, he was raised and reared by siegfried and roy and he remains very close to both of them especially roy, in fact he heroically threw himself at the tiger who attacked roy. of course he was hideously disfigured as a result but he still has roy’s accent and eternal gratitude. god bless you, doppelgänger.

26. houndog50 says: Aug 28, 2011 5:30 PM

skoobyfl says: Aug 28, 2011 12:27 PM
    Havner might gets looks from the Bills & a few other teams for depth.
    ——————————————————–
    That’s right skooby,
    With that road you’re building through Buffalo you’ll need all the Packers’ cast-offs you can get!
    If you can pick up enough of them the Bills might even improve and go 6-10, but 4-12 is more likely!

27. gbfanforever says: Aug 28, 2011 5:33 PM

I think Swain’s drop in the SB that almost cost them the game stuck in the heads of the coaches.

28. imjinbrdgr says: Aug 28, 2011 6:09 PM

Too bad there’s not some way to keep this thread alive and see if they sign someplace else. You know maybe look at the facts instead of a bunch of trash talk.

29. beerbratscheese says: Aug 28, 2011 6:41 PM

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. The Vikes are DEEP at TE.
    ——————————–

Are you talking about the Minnesota Vikings?? Did they sign somebody I’m not aware of??? Last I heard they had the EXTREMELY overrated Shiancoe, some rookie, and Jim Kleinsasser.

I guess if the rookie plays like a three year veteran, the Vikes will probably be OK at TE, but it’s nothing to brag about, seriously.

30. keramidas21 says: Aug 28, 2011 6:42 PM

I’m loving all the haters. I’m assuming most of them are either Bears, Vikings, and Lions fans, so I have one question for you guys? How many super bowls COMBINED have you guys won? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

31. peopletrains says: Aug 28, 2011 6:54 PM

Hoping that West and Gurley stick around. Gurley offers something the Packers WRs are missing, size.

32. clayjustsackedyou says: Aug 28, 2011 7:13 PM

peopletrains says:

**************************************

There’s no way the Packers keep that many WRs. With Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and Cobb we’re already stacked. Through in our TEs with Finley, Williams, Taylor, and possibly Quarless there just isn’t room for more pass catchers.

Also Nelson is 6’3″ and Jones is 6’1″ so it isn’t like the 6’4″ Gurley is the only “size” WR we have.

33. mcinhd says: Aug 28, 2011 7:16 PM

Havner is mediocre, will catch when its right in front of him. Ok Blocking skills. Packers will be fine this year on O, although that 0-line is suspect.

34. c1d7 says: Aug 28, 2011 7:44 PM

@claymath52

In other news claymeth52 is still obsessed with the Vikings…come out of your purple cl0set already dude you’re pathetic

35. vikescry1 says: Aug 28, 2011 7:55 PM

mcinhd says:
    Aug 28, 2011 7:16 PM
    How is the o-line suspect? cuz we lost colledge? he had a mediocre season last year at best. he wasn’t consistent at all. and the only reason they haven’t been playing well in the preseason is cuz the coaching staff was trying to give sherrod a chance to play as a starter. the o-line will be fine.

36. textexington says: Aug 28, 2011 8:05 PM

Man the Packers are gonna win a TON of games this year.13-3 easily. Go Pack Go!!!

37. brewdogg says: Aug 29, 2011 12:48 AM

vikescry1 says:
    Aug 28, 2011 7:55 PM
    mcinhd says:
    Aug 28, 2011 7:16 PM
    ——————————————

So, you subtract a guy who, by your account, was mediocre and inconsistent, but apparently still better than anyone else on the roster, replace him with no one, and this does not give you any concern? And your 1st -rd pick is playing poorly enough to make the whole line look bad, and this is also brushed off?

You aren’t very good at making a convincing argument…..

38. brewdogg says: Aug 29, 2011 12:54 AM

And in other news, claymath52 has exposed himself as devoid of original thought…..

39. brewdogg says: Aug 29, 2011 12:59 AM

schemefactory says:
    Aug 28, 2011 3:31 PM
    ————————————–

lol I like butt-raiders. That’s amusing. But don’t forget the butt-chargers and butt-rams. And the butt-cowboys, just because anything mocking the Cowboys is funny…..

So is butt-saint a compliment? Not sure about that one…..

40. paulharghis says: Aug 29, 2011 4:07 PM

beerbratscheese says:
    Aug 28, 2011 6:41 PM
    That’s the dumbest thing I’ve heard all day. The Vikes are DEEP at TE.
    ——————————–

=================================
    Last I heard, Finley can’t stay healthy for a full season, and you have exactly who after that?
    A bunch of no names, yet since they are Packers, they are the best- and the Vikings have junk.

How pathetically homeristc are you?

That’s a rhetorical question.
    That means I don’t need an answer.

You’re welcome.

41. beerbratscheese says: Aug 29, 2011 6:58 PM

paulharghis says: Aug 29, 2011 4:07 PM
    =================================

How pathetically homeristc are you?

That’s a rhetorical question.
    That means I don’t need an answer.

You’re welcome.
    ————————————————

Can I give you some advice, Paul?

Make sure you fully understand what you are responding to, lest it makes you look like an utter and complete moron.

Case in point…where did I make any comment whatsoever as to the Packers TE group? Where did I say they were the best? Hmmm? I’m waiting.

I merely provided my opinion of the Vikings group, nothing more. If you think I’m wrong, prove it. But don’t accuse me of doing or saying something I didn’t. You look really stupid when you do that.

42. paulharghis says: Aug 29, 2011 8:40 PM

beer:

Now you are going to play Mr. Innocent?

You are running down a rival teams TE postion.

That usually means that you think your players are superior.

P.S. I don’t care what I look like on a anonymous website.

Again, you are playing innocent- it’s not hard to read between the lines- nice try though.

43. brewdogg says: Aug 29, 2011 9:41 PM

beerbratscheese says:
    Aug 29, 2011 6:58 PM

Can I give you some advice, Paul?

————————————

I think that the implication that a player cut by the Packers would be an upgrade for the Vikings is where it came from. And there is some validity to that….

Shiancoe, Kleinsasser, and Rudolph are obvious locks to make the team. Also in camp are veteran Jeff Dugan, who, other than being not quite as good of a blocker, is basically a younger version of Kleinsasser, and the performance that rookie Allen Reisner has put on in preseason this year. If waived, he likely won’t clear waivers to be put on the practice squad, meaning that the possiblity exists for the Vikings to carry 5 TEs this year, with an eye towards not resigning Shiancoe and Kleinsasser next year and going with Rudolph as the starter, Dugan as the blocker, and Reisner as the #3.

I really don’t see where Havner would fit in or provide an upgrade at this point. If he were available next year for a full offseason of competition, than maybe he would be worth a look, who knows, but right now, I doubt that Minnesota is his landing spot.

44. beerbratscheese says: Aug 30, 2011 8:00 AM

And now Paul is really backing himself into a corner.

First he accuses me of saying something I didn’t say. Then, after I point that out he was wrong, he changes his tune. Now, my words “usually imply” something else.

I got news for ya chief. My words meant what they said, and nothing more. I was commenting on someone else’s comment that the Vikings are deep at TE. That’s it. I wasn’t implying anything and there’s no lines to read between.
    ———————————————

brewdogg says:
    ———-
    And that’s a very good point, bdogg. However it was not me that made that statement about Havner. If I was, I admit, I’d be the one looking like a doofus here, but I didn’t. I didn’t even imply it. So if Vikings fans want to see things that aren’t there, I guess I can’t do anything about that.

45. paulharghis says: Aug 30, 2011 7:50 PM

beerbrat:

Then congratualtions. you are the FIRST Packer fan not to think that every single person on that roster isn’t the best ever.

I still think you’re full of crap though.

Shiancoe>Finley

“some rookie”> any other Packer TE.

Come on, you know you are a homerisitic loud mouth like the rest of the Packer fanbase.

46. brewdogg says: Aug 30, 2011 11:03 PM

beerbratscheese says:
    Aug 30, 2011 8:00 AM
    ———-
    —————————–

Granted. I believe it was the argument against the personnel that the Vikings have that led him to jump to that conclusion. It’s all semantic (and pedantic…haha, I made a funny), and really of no consequence, anyway. I know what you were saying, and what he thought you were saying….. and how sad is it that we are having a drawn out discussion about this?

Argue with you later!! :)

47. purpleisreallypinkyouknow says: Aug 31, 2011 4:52 PM

arzcardinals says:Aug 28, 2011 1:03 PM

He had a good game in the LOSS to the Cardinals!
    __________________________________

1) Yeah….the same game the Packers were completely screwed by a REF who didn’t seem to recognize a face-masking penalty on Rodgers in the closing seconds. Amazing.

2) So your team shot the wad in one game a year and a half ago and has since looked like the pansies of the NFC. Congrats on getting your rocks off.

3) Seeing how your cardinals have the weakest schedule in all of football this year, it’s safe to say you laid an egg since that game you’re hanging your hat on, and by the looks of the current roster, I’d expect you guys to do fairly well when getting handed the #1 pick in the draft next year.
    Has Larry Fitzgerald requested a trade yet..? He will be before long.

48. paulharghis says: Aug 31, 2011 6:52 PM

===============================
    I remember reading somewhere that Packer fans NEVER whine about refs…..riiigghhttt.