It’s our last preseason game recap for the third preseason week. If you missed our previous recaps this week, check them out for Thursday, Friday, Saturday’s nine-game slate, and Sunday.
Jets 17, Giants 3
1. The Giants lost the game, but they have to be more concerned with the injuries they suffered. Pass rushers Mathias Kiwanuka (groin) and Justin Tuck (“burner”) both left the game.
Kiwi insisted after the game he’d be ready for the season, but both he and Tuck will undergo more tests. Tuck also thought he was fine.
2. Eli Manning talked all offseason about avoiding bad decisions. He fell back into bad habits Monday.
3. The Jets talked all offseason about improving their red zone play. While Mark Sanchez and the starters didn’t move the ball well at all, they did convert their one red zone trip with a touchdown.
Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes lined up on the same side at the 17-yard line, with Burress drawing the safety over the middle. Holmes scored against single coverage. Expect to see more of that.
4. Perhaps Brandon Jacobs got his annual in-game meltdown out of the way early.
5. The Giants’ special teams has looked very poor all preseason. With questions elsewhere on the team, they don’t need another problem here.