Johnathan Wilhite among Patriots cuts

New England Patriots v Cleveland Browns Getty Images

Fourth-year cornerback Johnathan Wilhite was among ten players let go by the Patriots on Monday.

Whilite started 13 games in three seasons, including eight in 2009.  We mentioned longtime Patriots safety James Sanders was cut earlier Monday. Also gone: long snapper Matt Katula,  fullback Garrett Mills, defensive lineman Kade Weston,  kicker Chris Koepplin, defensive back Malcolm Williams, wideout Tyree Barnes, fullback Eric Kettani, and wideout Darnell Jenkins.

“Tough release on James Sanders,” Bill Belichick said Monday via the Boston Globe. “He’s been a really good guy to have on this team.”

The team signed wide receiver Tiquan Underwood and safety Ross Ventrone. Both will be longshots to make the final 53-man roster.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Johnathan Wilhite among Patriots cuts”
  1. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Aug 29, 2011 4:22 PM

I suspect it was a not-so-tough release on Wilhite.

2. homelanddefense says: Aug 29, 2011 4:25 PM

3. luckynumberlucas says: Aug 29, 2011 4:27 PM

Wow, didn’t expect Sanders to get cut…

Good backup and occasional starter, but I figure he will find another home quickly and will be a good player…

4. axltcu says: Aug 29, 2011 4:35 PM

@homelanddefense

Malcolm will be on the practice squad if he clears waivers.

5. iflounder says: Aug 29, 2011 4:48 PM

i wonder if brady is cut or uncut.

6. allisab says: Aug 29, 2011 4:53 PM

Honestly, I’m more shocked about Matt Katula getting cut.

7. thomasreilly says: Aug 29, 2011 5:06 PM

If Rob Ninkovich ends up as the long snapper this year it will be like playing with 54 players while every other team is playing with 53.

Still waiting for Ocho to get the ax, I think BB will decide he has lost whatever he once had and keep special teams ace (younger, cheaper, more years under team control) BTate…

8. talkintrashallday says: Aug 29, 2011 5:09 PM

WHO??

9. lowleadman says: Aug 29, 2011 5:32 PM

I am getting concerned about our wide receivers.
    Branch has been invisble, and Ocho doesn’t seem any closer than he was when he got here. How hard can this be? The quarterback throws the ball and the receiver catches it.

Tom needs some weapons, althogh Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker and Edelman are not bad options to have. Nonetheless, I wonder if the Pats might be better off saying so long to Ocho or Branch and bringing back Moss. He knows the system, and even if he only has 80% left in the tank, that puts him in the top 5 wr echelon. I am sure that Moss will be motivated and on his best behavior for at least this year.

None of that will matter much if the O-line plays like it did against the Lions.

10. flagstaffphotos says: Aug 29, 2011 5:51 PM

Funny! I thought BB never missed on draft picks. It must be true – ESPN and PFT told me so about a billion times.

11. CKL says: Aug 29, 2011 5:55 PM

When they drafted Willhite & Wheatley I thought Wheatley was going to be the one who stuck around the longest in NE. Wrong again. I wish them all well.

12. insider7 says: Aug 29, 2011 6:22 PM

The headline should not have mentioned Wilhite because him getting cut is not news. He’s been a non-factor since Day 1. Sanders being cut IS news.

13. patsandsox says: Aug 29, 2011 6:30 PM

The people still dreaming of the bringing Moss back should wake up and smell the coffee, that ship sailed last season. They dont want him.

I think Ocho might be a bust at this point he cant seem to catch which seems really strange for an all pro receiever with many years in the league. kind of reminds me of the Galloway deal.

I think Price has a real chance of blossoming this season, Edelman also. I think Bill will be looking at other teams cut downs over the next weeks.

14. tiffpats4eva says: Aug 29, 2011 7:40 PM

Like most Pat fans, I am not surprised.

15. oldhamletman says: Aug 29, 2011 10:31 PM

Haynesy made it without playing a single snap…. awesome…. where are the twinkies?

16. oopsnaly says: Aug 29, 2011 10:36 PM

the malcolm williams draft picked sucked when they made it this year, and now it really sucks.I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Lindasunny2002 on–a’ge’l’es’s’da’te.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

17. homelanddefense says: Aug 30, 2011 9:52 AM

“axltcu says: Aug 29, 2011 4:35 PM

@homelanddefense

Malcolm will be on the practice squad if he clears waivers.”

_______________________________

Doesnt change the fact that it was a wasted draft pick. You could have had him as an undrafted free agent.

18. elyasm says: Aug 30, 2011 12:43 PM

homelanddefense says:
    Aug 30, 2011 9:52 AM
    “axltcu says: Aug 29, 2011 4:35 PM

@homelanddefense

Malcolm will be on the practice squad if he clears waivers.”

_______________________________

_______________________________

He was a 7th rounder, 219th overall, who cares if that pick is wasted or not?