Titans formally place Chris Johnson on reserve/did not report list

Washington Redskins v Tennessee Titans Getty Images

Here’s one we weren’t going to mention, since it’s meaningless.  But since plenty of you think that there’s something potentially ominous or nefarious about the development, it makes sense to address it.

Briefly.

The Titans placed running back Chris Johnson on the reserve/did not report list on Monday, roughly a month after he did not report for training camp.  The move coincides with the team’s effort to trim the roster to 80 players.

By sliding Johnson to the “reserve” designation, he doesn’t claim a spot.

The fact that they hadn’t put Johnson on the list previously means only that the Titans chose not to take advantage of the decision to allow teams to bring 90 players to camp, due to the lockout.  (Several teams didn’t have the full allotment of 90 players.)

Johnson will remain on the reserve/did not report list until he (duh) reports.  That way, the Titans can have 80 players for the preseason finale — and 53 for the first week of the regular season, if Johnson doesn’t show up by then.

Barring a major development, he likely won’t be showing up by then.

UPDATE (9:48 a.m. ET):  Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that the two sides will talk again today.  “Don’t expect much,” Coles tweets, “but talking is better than not.”  (Actually, not talking is better than talking if the talking consists of an exchange of insults and/profanity.)

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
41 Responses to “Titans formally place Chris Johnson on reserve/did not report list”
  1. tomsd1 says: Aug 30, 2011 9:30 AM

Yes, it is a meaningless move by the Titans. Pay Johnson what he is worth you dummies.

2. 7to10for6allday says: Aug 30, 2011 9:34 AM

Hope he’s not on your fantasy team lol

3. descendency says: Aug 30, 2011 9:44 AM

What do you call the list where you are done for the year?

It’s “something/did not report”… but what is something?

4. jpb12 says: Aug 30, 2011 9:51 AM

They aren’t going to win this year. Running backs usually have short careers, and he’s more likely to get injured this year than have another 2,000 yard year.

5. pigskinswag says: Aug 30, 2011 9:59 AM

This is the first step in them Carson Palmering CJ2K. I love it.

6. Land Snark says: Aug 30, 2011 10:04 AM

He’s not going to get the kind of money he wants. He should just press for the same kind of cash as Peterson and leave it at that.

It won’t be long before he’s cast to the side of the free agent pile looking for some place to take a shot at a once great player.

7. readysethike says: Aug 30, 2011 10:05 AM

This is sad, hes going to mess up his career numbers…and its unfortunate that hes not in practice and on the field with his team

8. denardsbig10inchdong says: Aug 30, 2011 10:16 AM

i think it safe to say that we’ve been exposed to the harsh fact that the NFL is a business above anything else in this year more than any other. that being said, Chris Johnson (whether you like/love/hate him or could care less and simply view him as a “greedy” football player), is doing the right thing. he has EARNED top $$$ (nothing insane, but a top 5 RB salary), and should be paid as such. the fact that he could step on the field and be injured in game 1 (tom brady a la 2009) means that he could potentially never hit his deserved “pay day”…i mean, if it was me and i’d busted my butt for an organization and did EXACTLY everything they told me to do AND WAY MORE, id expect to be compensated as such, if not, i would resign and go to a company that did want my above-average expertise. simple as that.

9. carnboys says: Aug 30, 2011 10:16 AM

Money is more important to him.

10. fthrvic says: Aug 30, 2011 10:21 AM

Over/Under on the first game he plays in?

11. lawyermalloy says: Aug 30, 2011 10:24 AM

Let him sit for the season. I’m hoping this idiot knows he’ll still owe them two years at his current salary.

12. lexnekst says: Aug 30, 2011 10:25 AM

Chris John is a dummy. Hmmmm losing $30,000 a day, for weekns on end- in the hopes of making more money. He’s dumber than he sounds when he opens that shiny mouth.

13. carnboys says: Aug 30, 2011 10:29 AM

I think these players get paid alot of Money anyway. I was hoping for a lockout all year to let these players know how hard get can be. Well they come back they may respect there pay and game.

Because they are gifted players and they make alot of money.

14. scudbot says: Aug 30, 2011 10:33 AM

The first time CJ took the Wonderlic he scored a 10. Give him a $1 billion back loaded deal and gold plate his locker.

15. sippindasyzurp says: Aug 30, 2011 10:56 AM

For what it’s worth John Clayton this morning said the Titans want to make him the highest paid running back at 9 million per, but he wants 13 million per…. Unfortunately for CJ the Titans will not be very good for a few seasons and by the time they are he will be hardly worth that 13 million a season…. I still believe the best option for them right now is to trade the player for some draft picks, or possibly a player in position of need for the future.

16. pigskinswag says: Aug 30, 2011 11:01 AM

This just shows the double standard in people’s minds. If a player receives a lucrative contract, and he doesn’t live up to the contract or the team needs extra salary cap space, people are quick to say “he should take a pay cut”. Yet when a player outplays his contract, playing at a higher level than what he’s being paid, people are quick to say “play out your contract”. You can’t have it both ways. At the same time though, players have to realize that teams have finally grew a pair and won’t get bullied into lucrative contracts because of holdouts. Holding out hurts the player more than the team. ALWAYS.

17. adlent says: Aug 30, 2011 11:11 AM

I don’t really understand people who are criticizing Chris Johnson for wanting to get paid. Maybe he is reaching for the moon with his figure, but, he definitely deserves to be paid. I’m shocked the Titans didn’t do something already to lock him into top running back money. This is probably his only shot at a real pay day, so go for it! The NFL will chew you up and spit you back out without a second thought and without guaranteeing a contract. Why do we vilify the players who use the little leverage they have when they DESERVE a pay raise. This isn’t Albert Haynesworth holding out after taking 22 million because he doesn’t like where he will play on the defense. This is a guy being woefully underpaid and he needs to get a better contract.

18. pigskinswag says: Aug 30, 2011 11:17 AM

___________________________________

In what has become a two-back league, $13 million for ANY running back is too much. Its called “negotiations” for a reason. The two sides come up with what they want and meet somewhere in the middle. He should take the $9 miilion a year and be happy. He always has his record label Flashy Lifestyle Entertainment to fall back on for his other $4 million (not).

19. gottapoop says: Aug 30, 2011 11:35 AM

Ok I agree with him as far as not playing another season making less then 2 mil a year. He could have a season ending injury and never be able to make it big. But being greedy about wanting 13 mil instead of 9 mil is ridiculous.

20. FinFan68 says: Aug 30, 2011 11:46 AM

5 day letter should have been sent

21. bturner032002 says: Aug 30, 2011 11:48 AM

His body is his business. He knows he will be in pain when he gets older day in and day out. He is basically sacrificing the elder years of his life for his family so I say get as much as you can.

22. TurdSandwich says: Aug 30, 2011 11:59 AM

What can CJ do with 13 Mil a year that he couldn’t do with 9 Mil a year?

Answer: Pay the freakin agent his preposterously large cut.
    This is where we stand people..

23. drew05 says: Aug 30, 2011 12:05 PM

Johnson is ruining his carrer…he’ll sit out the season and…

Guess what…be in the same damn place he is now.

He’s overrated, and the Titans know it.

13 carries for -10 yards…

3rd and 16…(passing down)…Boom 80 yard TD run!

His 2000 yard season was full of that crap.

24. kebija says: Aug 30, 2011 12:09 PM

He was offered to be the highest paid RB in the league from what I have heard but he wants more. CJ is a joke right now and is only hurting his own career, he is virtually even making himself untradeable if the Titans decided to part ways; which is highly unlikely.

25. drew05 says: Aug 30, 2011 12:15 PM

Before I am flamed…

Cj is a talented back…has to be accounted for every play…

In my book…he isn’t top 10.

Too much dancin’…sometimes ya gotta take the three yard gain…someimes, the line of scrimmage is all you got…

Take the 9 million and run Chris, run.

26. jbcommonsense says: Aug 30, 2011 12:19 PM

Morally, CJ is a unique talent that deserves to get paid as such now.

But the reality is that given the current unfair FA structure for young RBs, the best he is going to get is Peterson’s level of compensation, plus 10%. If his agent is not telling him this he is not serving CJ’s best interests.

27. kingjoe1 says: Aug 30, 2011 12:35 PM

While I understand CJ’s desire for a new deal, sitting out is only damanging his future. If he does not show, he doesn’t get paid, or credit towards FA. If he shows up late, he like almost every other player who has a holdout, will get injured, which will hurt his future earning potential.
    Idiot!
    He should have come to camp on time and worked on a new deal. Vick got 100 million

28. drew05 says: Aug 30, 2011 12:57 PM

I’ll take Peterson’s compensation….plus 10%.

Hell…I’ll take 10% of Peterson’s compensation!

I get the “chancing our bodies/future” …

I get the fact that America pays dearly for entertainment…if the owners are making billions…the players should get a hefty cut…

But the greed…the greed…I’ll never get.

I’d like for teams to start sending these guys to the streets…

tell CJ2K…”No thanks”

Go get a real job.

Make 30 grand a YEAR…
    (not 30 grand a snap)

Bet he’d take 9 million.

29. drew05 says: Aug 30, 2011 12:58 PM

Put him on the …

“No longer in the league list”

30. tombradyswig says: Aug 30, 2011 12:59 PM

Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that the two sides will talk again today. “Don’t expect much,” Coles tweets, “but talking is better than not.” (Actually, not talking is better than talking if the talking consists of an exchange of insults and/profanity.)

OR, if the “talking” consists of unintelligable speaking like qualities and sounds….

31. bennyg420 says: Aug 30, 2011 1:02 PM

@7to10for6allday

He’s on my fantasy team. I was pick #4 and he was my first pick. Now I’m worried.

~~~~~

I haven’t done research on this yet, but can someone explain why the Titans won’t pay him? What does Johnson want and what do the Titans want to give him? I am baffled as to why the Titans won’t pay him. Unless he wants $15mil a year, then I can understand but if he wants $10mil a year, then why not pay him?

32. jackfnburton says: Aug 30, 2011 1:07 PM

At least Tim Tebow’s name wasn’t mentioned.

33. tinbender2000 says: Aug 30, 2011 1:20 PM

If the guy can’t speak English, (or any other earthly language) chances are he’s not a math wizard either…

34. pigskinswag says: Aug 30, 2011 1:29 PM

I wonder how things would work out if I decide to refuse to report to my job until I get a raise…

35. gcsuk says: Aug 30, 2011 1:32 PM

bennyg420 says: Aug 30, 2011 1:02 PM

———————————————————————–
    pigskinswag says: Aug 30, 2011 11:17 AM

———————————————————————

Benny, reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. You should try it some time.

36. peanutbutter&jelly says: Aug 30, 2011 1:33 PM

i’m all for players being compensated for what they do and in cj’s case i think he should be paid but he’s asking for way more than what he’s worth there is not a rb in the game thats worth 13 mil. a year sorry but it is true because it is easy enough to get a decent back in the draft or a proven back in f/a and them be productive enough to open up the offense in the passing game you may not get 2000 yards from him but it’s quite clear you dont need a 2000 yard rusher to win a championship infact none of the previous 2000 yard rushers were on a superbowl team.to me cj is not asking to be fairly compensated he is quite simply being a greedy self centered person and i hope this blows up in his face i hope he continues this hold out into the reg. season and he’s fined so much that he can’tafford to pay it.thats what he deserves for being so greedy he needs to understand his true value and i think the titans were being generous offering him 9mil. a year if he has any brain cells in his head he should be all over that but its’s clear he aint that smart

37. oldhamletman says: Aug 30, 2011 1:41 PM

I think the NFL would have much better fan relations if they didn’t coddle these jerks so much…. you got a contract… show up to work like your fans have to….

38. cityofsharks says: Aug 30, 2011 1:57 PM

Pay him already… C.J is the best person Tennessee has!!!!

39. destroyedbydansnyder says: Aug 30, 2011 2:26 PM

Im the FOOL that drafted him in my league because:
    A) he was best available at my pick #
    B) I thought surely this can’t go into the regular season.

Even though he is on my team, I hope he doesn’t get a new contract. How will he survive off of those ‘peanuts’ when hes not collecting a check?

He’ll be back but he’ll be different and not as good as he used to be.

40. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 30, 2011 3:23 PM

I’m so sick and tired of you doughy hacks who sit home and hide behind a computer with all this faux self-righteous “Doesn’t he realize he signed a contract?!” and “What a dummy, get into camp, you make too much money to be playing a KID’S game anyway!!!” BS. Each and every one of you make me sick.

And for the ones who gave the guy the thumbs down for saying Johnson was doing the right thing, you are an embarrassment to grown men.

… if you are indeed one.

His stance is especially important, because he’s a top 5 back. It’s all about precedent.

41. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 30, 2011 3:23 PM