Wilkerson on ejection: “Was it smart? No. Do I regret it? No”

Brandon Jacobs, Muhammad Wilkerson AP

Giants running back Brandon Jacobs and Jets rookie defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson were both ejected for throwing punches at each other on Monday night, and Wilkerson acknowledged today that getting kicked out of a game isn’t a smart move.

But Wilkerson also said that Jacobs started it, and that he isn’t the type to back down when someone starts something with him.

“I was just pass rushing and he came up to pass protect and I ran into him the first time, the ball was thrown and he approached me, threw a blow at me and that’s what it was,” Wilkerson said, in comments circulated by the Jets’ PR staff. “I retaliated. Was it a smart move? No. Do I regret it? No. It’s football and I am not going to let somebody try to take advantage of me.”

Still, even if he doesn’t have any regrets, Wilkerson said he knows he can’t afford to get kicked out of any more games and can’t afford to cost his team any 15-yard penalties, and so he’s going to keep his temper in check going forward.

“It was a rookie mistake,” Wilkerson said. “I let my anger get the best of me there, but that is something that I have to learn from and move forward.”

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Wilkerson on ejection: “Was it smart? No. Do I regret it? No””
  1. cakemixa says: Aug 30, 2011 6:07 PM

ADMIT SOMETHING ISN’T SMART.

SAY YOU’LL DO IT AGAIN.

2. nokoolaidcowboy says: Aug 30, 2011 6:11 PM

You go Boyyy!

Branson Jacobs ain’t feces!
    (is that better PFT censor?)

3. joetoronto says: Aug 30, 2011 6:12 PM

“But I’d do it again.” Wow.

4. notthekiller says: Aug 30, 2011 6:13 PM

He is a football player, that does not mean he is all that bright! “I know it was wrong, but I will do it again because Johnny stole me Butterfinger”!

5. descendency says: Aug 30, 2011 6:15 PM

Next time, actually knock some sense into Brandon Jacobs… please?

6. ny82jy says: Aug 30, 2011 6:16 PM

I love him already. Hes a rookie and hes showing hes not gonna take crap and be pushed around by anyone. I know the Jets love that.

7. doctorfootball says: Aug 30, 2011 6:19 PM

It wasn’t smart to get ejected, but he also got the Giants’ starting running back (Jacobs) and goaline rusher, ejected. The Jets ended up stuffing the Giants on 4th and goal at the goaline. Jacob’s ejection probably cost the Giants a touchdown.

8. dcsween says: Aug 30, 2011 6:20 PM

So the way he tells it, the mountain came to Muhammed. But on most plays, it was Muhammed coming to the mountain. [Except when the Giants swapped out Jacobs for Bradshaw ... tried to make a mountain out of mole hill.]

9. jacksaysfu says: Aug 30, 2011 6:21 PM

Who can blame him , Who doesn’t wanna punch a Giant ?

10. tinopuno says: Aug 30, 2011 6:22 PM

Jacobs throws a couple of these bully boy tantrums each season. He’s no more mature now then when he broke into the league.

Maybe he’s just really stupid. He certainly looks and speaks as if he is.

11. tunescribe says: Aug 30, 2011 6:22 PM

Typical Wrecks Ryan undisciplined approach to the game. This is why he didn’t get the Baltimore job. Things get tense and chippy and the laundry starts flying. Great for this dumb rookie to get in on the ground floor.

12. achap39 says: Aug 30, 2011 6:23 PM

…and with that, Roger has made the rook’s wallet $50K lighter.

13. mikemyditka says: Aug 30, 2011 6:27 PM

If I’m Belichick, how do I not send some scrub o-lineman after Wilkenson on the first play of the game?

If hes “not backing down” from a fight then when they are both tossed it will be a net loss for the jets due to his stupidity.

14. hscorpio says: Aug 30, 2011 6:32 PM

Was it a smart move? No. Do I regret it? No.
    ==================================

Does it sound really odd when people interview themselves? Yes it does.

Why not just say “It wasn’t a smart move but I don’t regret it”?

15. ampats says: Aug 30, 2011 6:33 PM

Welcome to the Newark Jets,

Another loud mouth who has accomplished nothing playing for the team that has won anything for 43 YEARS and playing for the HC of the NJ Jets Harold Camping !

What a perfect match !

J ust
    E nd
    T he
    S eason

16. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 30, 2011 6:34 PM

What Wilkerson did was unnecessary to begin with. For him to even say this is puzzling, except the fact he plays for our lessees, which makes perfect sense.

Jacobs got riled up on two previous runs and I will say that on the long run, his reaction of being trampled at the sideline was out of line. But his reaction to Wilkerson was warranted.

17. toddlvin says: Aug 30, 2011 6:34 PM

However, Jacobs was kicked out too..and then came 4th and 1 and the 1…and no Jacobs…nice job Wilk…it was all worth it… :)

18. luckynumberlucas says: Aug 30, 2011 6:37 PM

Wilkerson was down after the first “punch” by Jacobs.

Big J would’ve torn him apart.

Sissy.

19. rectumnearlykilledem says: Aug 30, 2011 6:39 PM

Their coach posts online adds begging for men to come check out his wife and her feet. Their QB was arrested in college on sexual assault and now dates high school girls. And now their big draft pick admits to being a moron. Great organization right there. Same Old Jets.

20. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 30, 2011 6:44 PM

toddlvin says: Aug 30, 2011 6:34 PM

———–

That mindset is why the Jets will never win anything.

Unlike the Raiders, who could BALL, they backed up such swashbuckling behavior on the field. The Jets just talk.

… and choke.

21. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 30, 2011 6:44 PM

ampats says: Aug 30, 2011 6:33 PM

Welcome to the Newark Jets,

What a perfect match !

J ust
    E nd
    T he
    S eason
    ==============

I SWEAR.

22. tjacks7 says: Aug 30, 2011 6:45 PM

Should I keep asking myself questions and answering them? Yes.

23. kd75 says: Aug 30, 2011 6:56 PM

“But HE started it Mr. Goodell! Why am I fined $25,000?”

24. gcsuk says: Aug 30, 2011 7:00 PM

jacksaysfu says: Aug 30, 2011 6:21 PM

Who can blame him , Who doesn’t wanna punch a Giant ?
    ———————————————————————–
    Sure Jack. Why don’t you go look up Brandon Jacobs and punch him in the face one time? See where that gets you…like, the emergency room, maybe?

25. paulsdamnblog says: Aug 30, 2011 7:01 PM

In a related story, Rex Ryan tickled Wilkerson’s feet after the game.

26. gcsuk says: Aug 30, 2011 7:01 PM

toddlvin says: Aug 30, 2011 6:34 PM

———————————————————————–

27. keyshawn22 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:07 PM

This is exactly what I want from our #1 pick. This is the type of attitude an elite defensive end should have. Our whole defense plays with this kind of attitude and thats why the JETS defense is the best in the league.

Brandon Jacobs is a punk and got punked by a rookie

28. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:09 PM

Yeah, they’ve been bragging about winning the SNOOPY BOWL, not the SUPER BOWL, all day.

29. jf203 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:10 PM

gcsuk says:
    Aug 30, 2011 7:01 PM
    toddlvin says: Aug 30, 2011 6:34 PM

———————————————————————–

YES there is a matter of fact the METLIFE trophy SNOOPY Giants are done

30. ripcurl2121 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:12 PM

“Yep, congratulations, Jets. You won a Pre-Season game. Is there a trophy for that?”

actually there is dumbazz – the snoopy trophy. and the jets have it. nanananaa.

jacobs is a punk, always was and always will be.

jets will win 11-12 games and the division. the giants, lol, not so much. have fun winning 6 games jacobs you low life punk!

31. sanchize6 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:12 PM

toddlvin says: Aug 30, 2011 6:34 PM

———————————————————————–

================================

Actually, yes, the Jets did win a trophy for winning that game dubbed the MetLife Bowl. Fail by you, huh?

Also, last year Giants fans were out in force when their backups came back and beat the Jets in the preseason. Now all of a sudden putting up 3 points doesn’t matter.

Furthermore, what is this, like the 6th time in Jacobs’s career that he’s been involved in something like this? The guy is a loud mouth punk who is a backup. Go Brandon! Christmas Eve will be really nice to see when the Jets smack the 6 win Giants around for real.

32. eaglesfan290 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:13 PM

That was a classy Lady GaGa move by Jacobs………….Giants 5-11 wait for it!

33. melonnhead says: Aug 30, 2011 7:15 PM

———————————————————————–

haha get real, Brenda Jacobs is all mouth, no ass. I remember when Bradie James shoved him on the shoulder pad after a play once it knocked him to the ground and he was writhing in pain.

34. omegaichiban says: Aug 30, 2011 7:17 PM

Just where does it say he’d do it again?

35. paulsdamnblog says: Aug 30, 2011 7:35 PM

@sanchize6—–
    Relax kid. Even though they call it the METLIFE Bowl, and award a trophy for winning this preseason game, doesn’t mean they’ve accomplished anything other then getting more out of the 3rd and 4th stringers then the Giants. Even Rex Ryan would tell you to calm down, its a meaningless game.

36. Deb says: Aug 30, 2011 7:39 PM

Hey … can we get a photo of the Snoopy Trophy?

37. jpb12 says: Aug 30, 2011 7:42 PM

Logan Mankins

38. freedomispopular says: Aug 30, 2011 7:44 PM

The Steelers have “zero tolerance” for ejections like this.

39. bcar1023 says: Aug 30, 2011 8:30 PM

Hmmmm, no “dirty player” comments?

40. paulbrownsrevenge says: Aug 30, 2011 8:48 PM

I love how people say football players are dumb, most people who post on here couldn’t learn a college playbook let alone a pro one. Not to mention, all the pre snap reads and audibles.

41. tatum064 says: Aug 30, 2011 8:51 PM

Hood rules….but it costs your team in terms of penalties. Machismo is expensive…is it worth it…at the time of the infraction, of course.

in the aftermath…no.

“Hell yeah, I’d do it again”
    -George W. Bush

42. muffpuffer says: Aug 30, 2011 9:37 PM

j3ts83 says: Aug 30, 2011 8:37 PM
    LOL, you are really such a pathetic human being. Any Jet related topic you just spew out worthless garbage non-stop. You do realize your franchise has been a joke since its existence, right? Your stadium was empty before you guys started cheating, no one cared. Then you guys got caught cheating and won NOTHING. Jets still have a better overall record heads-up against the Pats and so does Rex/Sanchize. Keep hating you fat slob and try to get out of the house every once in a while.

At least they made it back to the Super Bowl after they “cheated” . So this will be the 3rd year the Jets are going to the Super Bowl?

43. gcsuk says: Aug 30, 2011 9:58 PM

ripcurl2121 says:
    Aug 30, 2011 7:12 PM

actually there is dumbazz – the snoopy trophy. and the jets have it. nanananaa.
    ————————————————-
    Are you sure you’re old enough to be using your parent’s computer? Holy God, can they PLEASE administer a maturity test on this site?

Go back to worshipping your big bad “Snoopy Trophy” now, and don’t forget to brag to all your friends in school tomorrow.

44. gcsuk says: Aug 30, 2011 10:01 PM

And honestly, shouldn’t you Jet fans have a bit more respect for the Giants? I mean, at least they were able to do something that the Jets COULDN’T do (2 chances, no less) in 2007…beat the Patriots.

Can you imagine if the Patriots fans had THAT to hang over your heads till the end of time? An unbeaten season and the J-E-T-S did nothing about it?

Don’t worry guys. The Giants took care of that for you. You’re welcome.

45. j3ts83 says: Aug 30, 2011 10:02 PM

muffpuffer says:
    Aug 30, 2011 9:37 PM
    j3ts83 says: Aug 30, 2011 8:37 PM

________________________________

Hopefully? Who gives a **** if you make it to the super bowl but don’t win it because you didn’t get to tape pregame walk-throughs. Jets are headed in the right direction, that’s all that matters. Rookie head coach/QB make it back to back AFC Championships, yet they suck to all you morons.

46. jacksaysfu says: Aug 30, 2011 10:57 PM

@gcsuk : I dont have to punch Jacobs , my team (EAGLES) punch the giants in the mouth twice every year (last 6 gms Philly 6 wins nyg ZERO) . Face it , Brandon Jacobs and the NYG’s are pretty much my personal punching bag . 2 guaranteed wins every year , Philly loves the nyg !

47. waitingguilty says: Aug 30, 2011 11:57 PM

“Do I sound very stupid right now? Yes.”

48. muffpuffer says: Aug 30, 2011 11:58 PM

J3ts83 at least they made it back to the SuperBowl. How mqny Super Bowls have the Jets been to? Whats the right direction? You said it yorurself. Who gives a s*** making ot to the superbowl if you dont win it. I guess that goes for the AFC Championship game as well.

49. gcsuk says: Aug 31, 2011 12:31 AM

@jacksaysfu
    “My personal punching bag”? Are you on the team? Didn’t think so.
    I love how Philly fans conveniently forget that this rivalry is more than 3 years old. Let’s forget that the Giants have won more games in that rivalry. Nah, forget that…let’s just count the last 6 games.
    That’s the Philly school system for you. Kids can’t count past 6.

50. texmexdeux says: Aug 31, 2011 12:40 AM

Yeah, Wilkerson. No one wants a defensive lineman who’ll stand up to a running back. Jeez. You big meanie!

51. macjacmccoy says: Aug 31, 2011 2:01 AM

Wow, there probably wasnt a better way he could have handled that. He admitted that it was dumb, he said why it was dumb which makes you realize that he gets it and that he is a smart thoughtful kid that understands the game of football, and then he was honest and said he doesnt regret. Which shows his toughness and his heart.

It also makes me believe that he wrote it himself. Because if the last few years had taught me anything its that the Jets PR department is horrible. Their players and coaches are constantly in controversies for the things they do and say. And they usually come off as a$ses when it is all said and done. So The fact that Wilkerson didnt, should show you that he was the one making those comments and that they werent prepared by the Jets.

I wish this kid nothing but success in the future. But with all my confidence I doubt he will need it. He was my favorite player at the back end of the draft and I believe he will end up being a better DE/OLB then every player picked ahead of his draft slot the last 3 years. There might be a sleeper that no one knows that out does him but of all the 1st round OLB/DE drafted the last 3 years I believe Wilkerson will be the most productive.

52. jetfanfolife says: Aug 31, 2011 5:14 AM

Tunescribe…

Stick with golf, it’s more your sport you sissy

53. hailvictory44 says: Aug 31, 2011 5:52 AM

Anyone ever notice that after EVERY single play Jacobs is jawing and in a scrum with another player? It’s insane how much talking this jackass thinks he has to do after a 3 yd run. I gotta think even his teammates either want to or do tell him, “Hey B…STFU!”

G-men fans, is Jacobs’ act tired for you all?

54. ganggreen4life says: Aug 31, 2011 11:52 PM

Here’s to hoping big Mo goes on a Jihad against opposing QB’s this season.