ESPN’s Wilbon blasts reporting of Vick deal

Muhammad Ali's Celebrity Fight Night XVII - Show Getty Images

PFT has spent much of the last few days pointing out that Michael Vick’s “$100 million contract” isn’t $100 million at all, and the original guaranteed money in the deal was artificially inflated.

We have an unlikely ally in this movement against phony numbers in Michael Wilbon.  Asked on PTI if the Eagles made a risky move, Wilbon vented.

“No [it's not risky]. I don’t even see it as being true,” Wilbon said. “I’m taking a shot at my brethren, an industry I’ve been apart of for 30 years. Sportswriting, which reports these numbers breathlessly and they’re not true! Michael Vick is not going to get $100 million and we ought to stop saying it. He’s not going to get close to that. The $40 million guaranteed, he’s not getting that either!”

We love the smell of ESPN-on-ESPN crime in the afternoon.

We also love adding clips from PFT Live when the topic overlaps the topic of a post.  Take it away, Florio:

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
35 Responses to “ESPN’s Wilbon blasts reporting of Vick deal”
  1. capslockkey says: Aug 31, 2011 5:01 PM

Colin Cowturd was basically saying the same thing about the deal today.

2. descendency says: Aug 31, 2011 5:02 PM

32.5 million guaranteed and 80 million over 5 years isn’t bad.

3. bmorebullets says: Aug 31, 2011 5:05 PM

im waiting on my contract, i’ve think i’ve held out long enough now.

4. packerjer says: Aug 31, 2011 5:10 PM

Uh oh. The 4 letter network isn’t going to like Wilbon exposing the sham on air. Good for him, though.

I was watching Mike and Mike this morning and all morning they were talking about his $100 million contract; about all the other athletes who got $100 million and how Vick has gotten 2 such contracts in his career. Just completely pretented they didn’t know it was a lie.

Same thing yesterday on First Take (and probably this morning as well). I guess Wilbon didn’t get the memo. Or he didn’t care.

5. nagaswan says: Aug 31, 2011 5:13 PM

I thought of this website when I heard him say that yesterday. Then again I usually think of this website when I think of football. Great job!

6. turk2875 says: Aug 31, 2011 5:13 PM

I like Wilbon, he’s the only guy on ESPN worth listening to.

7. seneca1ss says: Aug 31, 2011 5:19 PM

blame the greasy AGENTS who leak this info.

8. drevilstolemymojito says: Aug 31, 2011 5:20 PM

I don’t think Mike Vick will be eating Ramen noodles three meals a day regardless of what the final numbers turn out to be in terms of performance incentives, etc. in his new contract. With $32.5M for certain and owing around $20M to the bankruptcy court, he should be set for life unless he pisses away the remainder of the money.

9. troybulletinboard says: Aug 31, 2011 5:26 PM

Wilbon sucks.. PTI sucks even harder. Wilbon and Tony are complaining queens who could easily be replaced by any of the other talking heads on ESPN. Wilbon’s mannerisms on that show are that of a southern belle being bothered with the silliest of questions.

10. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 31, 2011 5:45 PM

Well then why didn’t Wilbon break it out as it really is. It’s like a politician who says the other guy is wrong, but doesn’t have a solution either. Wilbon if everyone else is wrong, explain how.

11. laeaglefan says: Aug 31, 2011 5:46 PM

How many NFL players EVER actually get the total amount of money that’s reported to be in their mega contracts? Why is everyone making so much fuss about how much Vick is or isn’t receiving? Its between him and the Eagles, and as long as Vick is happy and the Eagles are happy, then that’s all that matters.

12. melikefootball says: Aug 31, 2011 5:48 PM

I like Wilbon but why, as other contracts been reported in the same way with no hoop a la but when Vic’s name is involved out comes the protecters.

13. razorbyrd says: Aug 31, 2011 6:15 PM

I don’t care what the true numbers are… Vick is happy, and the Eagles are happy… he got the show of respect he wanted from the team, and they got a franchise QB to make a few runs at a SB with… I think it’s a win-win, why does everyone have to nitpick over every last freakin’ detail?!

14. vicksprman says: Aug 31, 2011 6:17 PM

Hmm whats the big deal with Vick’s deal why isn’t everyone’s real deal reported? Anybody wanna guess? The NFL plays with monopoly money anyway.

15. socco6 says: Aug 31, 2011 6:22 PM

And Nate Burleson wasn’t going to get 7 years for $49Mil, where was the outrage on that one?

16. salvaje50 says: Aug 31, 2011 6:23 PM

Wilbon is a idiot. He is the same moron who said McNabb was a better QB than Brady. I don’t care what he said unless he said that he is quitting ESPN and going to work at Popeye’s Chicken where he belongs

17. terrellblowens says: Aug 31, 2011 6:25 PM

Who cares? Money is money and Vick is getting paid a ton either way. The deal is good for both Vick and the Eagles so I don’t see the problem.

18. mhalt99 says: Aug 31, 2011 6:39 PM

I have a $100 million contract too. Just with mine I have to work about a billion hours and a few hundred years to see the entire amount…..oh and management can void at any time.

So I got that goin’ for me, which is nice.

19. spacincasen says: Aug 31, 2011 6:43 PM

Wilbon is the realest person on espn, hands down! hardly ever succumbs to the usual media bias that has come to define ESPN, and sports media in general (and for that matter, any kind of news media these days).

This is an example of why he is one of the few people in sports media you can count on to tell it exactly the way it is, even if he has to throw his own network under the bus in the process! Hooray for ethical journalism and honesty. This world needs more of it…

20. breedja says: Aug 31, 2011 6:52 PM

Ahhh, what? WGAF what Wilbon says???

21. thetooloftools says: Aug 31, 2011 6:55 PM

Since when has the media let the truth get in the way of a good story?
    Who could possibly be surprised?

22. dfeltz says: Aug 31, 2011 7:15 PM

I’d bet my illegitimate son that gregg rosenthal would work for ESPN tomorrow if they offered him a job. This guys busts on ESPN all the time, but all I can tell is that he listens and watches ESPN all the time.

23. sarcasticks says: Aug 31, 2011 7:34 PM

Vick has to pay Uncle Sam his cut before he can repay the creditors, and in his tax bracket that’s around 50%. He’d have to play into his fourth year on this contract just to break even. So, if you’re a Vick hater, which I’m not, rest assured that he’s still gonna be broke.

Of course, that’s pro athlete broke, not like, you and me broke.

24. xli2006 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:20 PM

He’s probably also talking about sites like PFT which run with these “sources” or “reports” regardless of their validity and aren’t very quick to correct themselves.

25. deenice810 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:28 PM

Would be nice to have one day without a story on Mike Vick and I’m a Eagles fan.

26. omniscientballer22 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:32 PM

Let’s see, Wilbon is from Chicago (as was McNabb), and love’s McNabb. In fact, they are very good friends. He has been stingy against the Eagles ever since “he felt” they treated him poorly. Of course he would use Vick’s new contract to blast. What a phony…

27. pragmaticobotsunite says: Aug 31, 2011 8:39 PM

Actually sarcasticks, aren’t you forgetting that the NFL money isn’t his only income? Its nice that the Nike deal’s financial terms was kep It away from the bytchazz media, but its more than likely Vick will get just about as much money from Nike as he would the Eagles.

28. santolonius says: Aug 31, 2011 8:44 PM

i strongly suspect wilbon arrived at his position after reading your original post on the actual numbers. the timeline fits. you posted earlier in the news cycle on the afternoon of that particular pti. and by the way, it is perfectly legit if wilbon came to that position by way of this website. what would be slack would be if he read the info and ignored it.

29. salvaje50 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:32 PM

Why is it that Wilbon has the most to say about black QB’s??? I dont’ hear him talking about Peyton Manning’s contract and how much he really is going to get

30. 1509lucky says: Aug 31, 2011 9:44 PM

Wilbon is one of the LAZIEST media hacks in the industry. I remember listening to him getting his butt handed to him over Lazy reporting on a local station here a few years ago by one of our local sportstalk show hosts. He is always in Captain Outrage mode…….

31. theharshestreality says: Aug 31, 2011 9:51 PM

If this irks Wilbon so bad then why didn’t he do the same when Manning sign his contract or Brady his? ESPN blows.

32. sdw2001 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:51 PM

sarcasticks says:
    Aug 31, 2011 7:34 PM

Of course, that’s pro athlete broke, not like, you and me broke.
    —————–

You know your understanding of taxation is idiotic, right?

33. macjacmccoy says: Aug 31, 2011 10:28 PM

We love the smell of ESPN-on-ESPN crime in the afternoon.

Come on Rosenthal, you dont get involved in another man’s vendetta against a company just because you happen to work for him, Mike is the one with the ESPN grudge because they fired him not you. You have no reason to hold any resentment towards them. And you have no reason to attack them and act as if your vindicated every time they do something contradictory.

I know the 14-20 year old generation your apart of listens to rap music but this is real life where you dont get involved in a “beef” with someone else just because one of your “crew” members feels like he got “dissed” by them. That’s the whack thing to do yo. Ya digg?

34. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 1, 2011 1:05 AM

Vick will get what he deserves in this deal. Sensationalism beyond that.

He’s being paid as a star attraction and the guaranteed money lasts as long as he will continue to be able to outrun people, which is about 2-3 more years.

35. greymares says: Sep 1, 2011 10:59 AM

“LIES” says Wilbon the absolute worst P.O.S. IN SPORTS BROADCASTING.