Troy Aikman wonders what he’d do if he saw Skip Bayless

Pacquiao Clottey Boxing AP

Fifteen years ago, Skip Bayless wrote a book about the Dallas Cowboys called Hell Bent, and in that book Bayless delved into rumors that then-Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman was gay.

Time has passed, but Aikman is still so upset with Bayless that he hinted in a recent radio interview that if he were ever to see Bayless again, he might take a swing at him.

“I will tell you this,” Aikman said on 1310 The Ticket, via the Dallas Morning News. “I’ve not seen — I’ve not physically seen Skip Bayless since that time. That was in ’95. And I still kind of wonder what I might do to him when I do see him.”

Asked whether he might have a physical confrontation if he saw Bayless, Aikman said, “Well, I mean, I don’t know. I don’t know.”

Aikman says it still irks him that Bayless used rumors about his personal life to help sell books.

“When a guy like that comes out and, whether it’s intimated or stated, and there’s no substance to that claim, and he’s doing it purely to gain interest in a book, that’s a problem,” Aikman said.

Aikman declined to take the high road in commenting about Bayless, saying, “I’m not so sure Skip’s not gay.” Aikman says he has never read Bayless’s book, but it’s clearly a book that still gets under Aikman’s skin.

Permalink 110 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
110 Responses to “Troy Aikman wonders what he’d do if he saw Skip Bayless”
  1. commandercornpone says: Aug 31, 2011 7:31 PM

how else would skip know?

2. raiderfanforlife says: Aug 31, 2011 7:33 PM

I can’t wait to see how Skip is going to respond to this one on First and 10 tomorrow. LMAO.

Way to go Troy!

3. zaavonb says: Aug 31, 2011 7:33 PM

please beat him up he always talking nonsense the guy is stupid literally one time he said he will pick vince young over vick and manning last year to get him a win and one time he said shaq was never any good like really

4. tayloner says: Aug 31, 2011 7:35 PM

Aikman by first round KO.

5. cured76 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:36 PM

Skip is a moron and I can’t believe people think it’s a good idea to hire him for their show.

I loathe the Cowboys but I’ve always respected Troy Aikman. Glad Troy ain’t takin’ no ish from this dbag.

6. drevilstolemymojito says: Aug 31, 2011 7:37 PM

Skip Bayless is a worm IMHO, and I’m happy he’s no longer involved in sports media in the DFW area. I’m no Cowboys/Jerry Jones fan, but Aikman was a great, tough player, and he deserved nothing that Skip Bayless dished out. I turn off the TV whenever ESPN shows Skippy’s mug.

7. raiderfanforlife says: Aug 31, 2011 7:37 PM

I sense another Crissy Evert moment coming just like Jim Rome and Jim Everett on Up Close back in the day.

“Go ahead and say it again, I dare you!”

8. djbleedthestar says: Aug 31, 2011 7:38 PM

I hate Aikman’s commentating on cowboys games. Sometimes I wanna just watch the game on mute.

9. drmonkeyarmy says: Aug 31, 2011 7:38 PM

Skip Bayless is a clown. He long ago lost any credibility he once had. It boggles my mind that anybody would take him seriously.

10. petehemlock says: Aug 31, 2011 7:39 PM

Aikman is working on a tell all autobiography called ‘In the Booth with Buck’.

11. legaleagle513 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:41 PM

He’s not?

12. rethinklogic says: Aug 31, 2011 7:42 PM

About 7 people read Skip Bayless’s book

13. skins3yearplan says: Aug 31, 2011 7:43 PM

I’m a Skins fan, and I’ve always Troy was a classy guy. Messing with someone’s life to sell your own book is very low-class. Troy doesn’t need to do anything but ignore this clown.

14. 1buckeye76 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:44 PM

Hope Troy has been working out. Despite his nerdy look, Skip is pretty ripped.

15. manofsteel22 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:46 PM

Yeah Seriously . Skip is ” Queer eye for the Sports guy” without a doubt.

16. gpete1962 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:46 PM

Scratch his eye’s out, you silly savage

17. flaccounibrow says: Aug 31, 2011 7:48 PM

Pucker those cheeks Skip, He’s comming hard for you.

18. flaccounibrow says: Aug 31, 2011 7:48 PM

coming not comming

19. sportsreporterusa says: Aug 31, 2011 7:49 PM

@drevilstolemymojito – You know that it is funny that you do turn off ESPN when he is on. I do the same thing.

As for Bayless – he is another example of a classless reporter who sensationalizes his topic. I would love to see Aikman take care of this guy.

I am willing to bet that ESPN no longer had this guy on their shows. Everytime I see him, I know that it is comedy hour.

20. phillyphever says: Aug 31, 2011 7:52 PM

Wait in line Troy, there’s a whole lot of people who want a swing at Skip’s ugly mug.

21. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Aug 31, 2011 7:52 PM

He always stated that football came first. Look, I’m a life long ‘Skins fan, but this guy ain’t gay. He devoted every oz. of his being to the Cowboys. So many QBs would be way better than they are/were if they just put in the effort Troy did. Plus you never know what someone really wants when you meet them if you’re a star QB. Peyton met his in college before he was even that good. Many get worked over both mentally and financially by meeting and getting married to women that aren’t really sincere. So he avoided that trap, played the field a little(he was the QB of the Cowboys after all) dedicated himself soley to his team, then waited to meet that important person? That’s gay? I think that’s pretty fing smart. Just as it was, if you read up on his history, that he banked his first contract in case he never made it, then only spend anything upon contract #2 and only considered himself set when he signed contract number 3. Not that there is anything wrong with that…

22. hendeeze says: Aug 31, 2011 7:53 PM

sounds like the last time they seen each other they got a little *close*

23. towniesman says: Aug 31, 2011 7:56 PM

Punch that loud-mouth in the nose Troy an I’ll donate 500 dollors to the charity of your choice

24. seahawk77 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:57 PM

Skip is to sports reporting what Geraldo is to war time coverage….Skip= Jerry Springer!

25. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 31, 2011 7:59 PM

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

26. trbowman says: Aug 31, 2011 7:59 PM

I love Skip Bayless. Gotta appreciate a fellow contrarian.

27. skulman7 says: Aug 31, 2011 7:59 PM

Skip Bayless knows what he’s doing. He’s a “shock-jock” who makes bold/ridiculous/usually stupid claims in order to piss off people. Love him or hate him (hate him), he’s made a name for himself doing it. Kinda the sleazy way of becoming a nationally known analyst, but good for him I guess.

28. deucedropper says: Aug 31, 2011 8:01 PM

Not an Aikman fan, but Bayless is the type of journalist/TV personality that makes journalists/TV personalities on cable news channels look almost respectable by comparison.

29. asublimeday says: Aug 31, 2011 8:04 PM

Go away Troy.

30. The Baseball Gods says: Aug 31, 2011 8:08 PM

I love how you are not allowed to say one thing about Troy Aikman possibly being gay.

31. knew8411 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:09 PM

If I were Troy, I’d ignore it….Skip’s a TOOL.

32. seneca1ss says: Aug 31, 2011 8:10 PM

Well, I know what Joe Buck secretly wants to do with Troy :o

33. zeussuperman says: Aug 31, 2011 8:10 PM

As an Eagles fan, as hard as this is to think about, Aikman would vault himself into my top 20 all-time favorite players if he laid down a righteous, Old Testament-style beatdown on Skip Bayless.

34. madamschefter says: Aug 31, 2011 8:12 PM

I. Can. Not. Stand. Skip Bayless.

If you would have asked me who, of the two, was gay I’d have said Bayless. And it’s not even a close race.

35. zeussuperman says: Aug 31, 2011 8:12 PM

Naturally, Joe Buck would be watching this fight with the rapt, loving attention he always gives Troy Aikman.

Now, there’s a dude if you want to talk about someone who sets off Gaydar…

36. pattunya says: Aug 31, 2011 8:13 PM

Hey Troy,
    I thought people only became mad at rumors about themselves only if they were true.
    Come on dude. “F” that guy. You are a Hall of Famer. Brodcaster. Father. Who cares if you took more balls across the chin than Cartlon Fisk.

37. lexnekst says: Aug 31, 2011 8:13 PM

Skip Bayless doesn’t leave his house. Even his neighbors hate him- out there in San Francisco.

38. noodlecbs says: Aug 31, 2011 8:13 PM

Troy has turned down more trim than this Dbag has ever fantasied about in his entire life. I would pay to see Aikman kick that azz.

39. deanvernonwormer says: Aug 31, 2011 8:14 PM

Aikman’s a fruitcake. And Skip Bayless is all man. As they sail into the moonlight on this manly ship.

40. rcampore says: Aug 31, 2011 8:15 PM

Not sure about Troy, but pretty sure Joe Buck is in love with him. He always stands so close and stares at Troy like he’s just mesmerized by him.

And Skip Bayless is one of the most annoying sports commentators on TV.

41. iflounder says: Aug 31, 2011 8:15 PM

aikman went on to say “i’ll show him how gay i’m not with a game of just the tip.”

42. bigjimatch says: Aug 31, 2011 8:17 PM

In Skip’s defense, Aikman was frequntly sceen vacationing with Piazza at Sandals resorts around that time.

43. tampajoey says: Aug 31, 2011 8:18 PM

Skip Bayless is just another example of ESPN crap.

44. changsteinelgamal says: Aug 31, 2011 8:18 PM

Don’t we all really?

45. chobes68 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:20 PM

Bayless, Mariotti, etc, are nothing but hack alarmists. No different the political alarmists that spew bs everyday. Amazing that people would even give those two any credit for anything.

46. buccaboo says: Aug 31, 2011 8:23 PM

Is it really that important who has sex with whom? Troy was a great QB, that’s all that matters.

47. belairirish says: Aug 31, 2011 8:27 PM

“You’re gay.”

16 years later…

“No, you’re gay!”

48. scudbot says: Aug 31, 2011 8:34 PM

Sorry, Troy. Skip’s got a thing for Cutler now.

49. steelerhypocrite says: Aug 31, 2011 8:36 PM

Bayless just talks for the sake of getting people fired up…that is it. He’s not serious…he’s like Al Sharpton.

50. justentertainingthestupid says: Aug 31, 2011 8:38 PM

Loving this. Want updates when available. Skip Irks me too. I want this to grow legs.

51. cgalaxy says: Aug 31, 2011 8:47 PM

raiderfanforlife says: Aug 31, 2011 7:33 PM

Way to go Troy!

—————————————————————————–

I wasn’t aware that anyone actually watched 1st and 10. Learn something new every day.

52. jutts says: Aug 31, 2011 8:47 PM

I’ve never did a pay per veiw., but that I’d pay to see………

53. deadmanwalking47 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:50 PM

trbowman says: Aug 31, 2011 7:59 PM

I love Skip Bayless. Gotta appreciate a fellow contrarian.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid?

54. rajbais says: Aug 31, 2011 8:50 PM

Get on him (whatever way possible) to the point where he’ll cry!!!

Then we’ll see that he’s a bigger woos than he’d want us to think!!!!

55. rajbais says: Aug 31, 2011 8:52 PM

Bayless is a despicable human being who gets excessively praised by a corrupt enterprise like ESPN!!!!

56. jstorm6 says: Aug 31, 2011 8:55 PM

Bayless sucks!

57. Uncle Leo says: Aug 31, 2011 8:58 PM

Funny how anyone who agrees that Aikman is gay gets the thumbs down.

Like it or not people, there are gay NFL players.

He was a great QB, great athlete, great leader.
    Personally I think he is good on TV.

If he is not gay, and was so upset this book, why did he never sue for defamation?

If you have gay friends, ask them what the view of the gay community is on Troy.

58. whatswiththehate says: Aug 31, 2011 9:05 PM

Skip Bayless could never put out a book announce he was gay cause it would never sell. So, he does it to someone else.

59. axespray says: Aug 31, 2011 9:07 PM

isn’t skip the same dude that ripped on Ted Thompson for choosing Aaron over Favre?

Then last week, the dude is all in on the tim tebow “youth movement” bandwagon….

Guy just tries to go against the popular opinion just for the sake of it.
    for all we know, he’s probably gonna start accusing Michael Bay of being a magical filmmaker.

60. philwauke says: Aug 31, 2011 9:11 PM

uh oh…slap fight!

61. jerryd1 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:16 PM

take a swing = slap & pull hair

62. dddynasty says: Aug 31, 2011 9:22 PM

It’s a well known fact Troy can’t pass a wet ball.
    Rock me!
    Seriously though, Bayless is a joke – would love to see Troy knock him out.

63. thetooloftools says: Aug 31, 2011 9:23 PM

Skip just needs to come out.

64. girlsinthesouthlovefootball says: Aug 31, 2011 9:24 PM

Before Ocho did Skip have Troy?

65. danphxariz says: Aug 31, 2011 9:37 PM

Who cares if either of them are gay or not. Nobody cares about that. But, if Aikman really isn’t gay, I doubt he’d be acting like is so upset about it still that he’s going to take a swing at Bayless. He’d be more like, “whatever I don’t care.” Usually people with something to hide are the most vocal, I guess trying to deflect suspicion or something. Look no further than the long string of vocally anti-gay politicians who get caught with some boy – 2 more of those guys have been busted in just the past couple of weeks. And the guy’s name is “Troy” – what more evidence do you need.

66. harpoo51 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:41 PM

Never been a Cowboys fan but I do respect Aikman. As for Bayless, he’s the Chaz Bono of sports reporting.

67. stixzidinia says: Aug 31, 2011 9:52 PM

————————

You mean like Tom Brady and his child-like love of water slides?

68. melonnhead says: Aug 31, 2011 9:55 PM

————————————————————————-

Two reasons. First because it didn’t meet the legal definition of defamation, and secondly because that would have just given Bayless publicity.

69. managod777 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:57 PM

I will always hate the Cowboys. I’m a Hurricanes fan, so I love Jimmy Johnson and Michael Irvin. Troy Aikman, I respected a great deal along with Emmitt Smith. He didn’t date much because he was a hard worker. Skip put this out because many wondered about his sexual orientation. If I were betting, it would be on the fact that Skip likes men sexually. Anyone with sense knows Skip is a joke, especially based on what comes out of his mouth. It would be funny if Troy knocked the s**t out of Skip. I’d love to see that.

70. texline1 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:57 PM

@ Uncle Leo: They couldn’t prove defamation because they couldn’t find anybody that read the book.

71. trollaikman8 says: Aug 31, 2011 9:58 PM

Skip Bayless, reason #823119 to hate ESPN.

72. rodericksilva says: Aug 31, 2011 10:01 PM

I’m an Eagles fan and have always hated Troy but only because he was Cowboy.

Troy is a class act.

73. ctiggs says: Aug 31, 2011 10:01 PM

Troy wants’s Joe’s buck

74. fishercob says: Aug 31, 2011 10:09 PM

Thumbs up if you hate Skip Bayless for than Jay Mariotti.

Thumbs down if you hate Mariotti more.

Hmm, we need a third button for Woody Paige.

75. twindaddy says: Aug 31, 2011 10:13 PM

Bayless is an effing tool and one of many reasons I no longer watch the Evil Sports Programming Network.

76. phillysoulfan says: Aug 31, 2011 10:16 PM

If Troy beats the crap out of Bayless, I propose the Eagles put him in their ring of honor.

77. paulieorkid says: Aug 31, 2011 10:21 PM

Bayless is a worm who’s never done anything meaningful in his life. The paparazzi who pimp Michael Jackson autopsy photos think Bayless is a classless weasel.

Aikman, by contrast, was and is a legend. No way he’s gay either.

This from a lifelong Steeler fan who hates the Cowboys.

78. timtimxl says: Aug 31, 2011 10:33 PM

Its been alleged that Troy Aikman is gay and has been dating his roommate from college his whole life. His old roommate is a doctor and lives in TX also. Its alleged by multiple sources that Troy’s type is young blonde “twinks”

79. coastbreak321 says: Aug 31, 2011 10:34 PM

Listen- I have nothing against gays or the gay lifestyle- in fact, I have a lot of gay friends. That said, Skip Bayless should not be accusing anyone of being gay- if anyone’s gay, it’s Skip. What, with the perfected manicured hair, fake tan, makeup, and numerous face lifts, to me he’s as queer as a 3 dollar bill.

80. ctiggs says: Aug 31, 2011 10:39 PM

i also think its strange that since 1995 that these to men heavily involved in sports and boardcasting have yet to run in to each other

81. pmad1 says: Aug 31, 2011 10:56 PM

Aikman gay or not would shake like a rag doll just like Jim Everett pushed over Jim Rome for calling him Chris Everett. People have a tendency to think QB’s are little guy’s…. Troy stands 6’5″ 235lbs……..

82. bearfan51 says: Aug 31, 2011 11:05 PM

Tebow

83. captaintriumph says: Aug 31, 2011 11:07 PM

Gay feud starting up again 16 years later. Reminds me of the gay Star Trek feud. Sulu writes a book a few years ago, coming out of the closet, and also ripping Shatner. Shatner responds by saying ”wow that took courage to come out of the closet…30 years after your career ended”.

84. jcustodi says: Aug 31, 2011 11:26 PM

Hey troy, im sure skip would like to thank you, you just made him and his show that much more popular

85. tarken10 says: Aug 31, 2011 11:43 PM

There exists a new type of reporting and commentating that cuts across all genres of journalism. People who call themselves journalists, but just don’t have the talent to attract listeners/viewers/a following, are left to say and/or write outrageous things as a means of attracting attention.

These people have zero insight or critical thinking/analysis ability and are left to planting innuendo and spewing hatred in order to be heard.

The Skip Baylesses of the world are dishonest and are not really journalists at all.

86. drevilstolemymojito says: Aug 31, 2011 11:45 PM

It doesn’t matter if either Aikman or Bayless is gay. Skippy is an opportunistic d-bag who cares nothing about the truth. I’d love to be in the room if Troy drops him. I volunteer to dispose of the rotten carcass.

87. wiscnsnpatfan says: Aug 31, 2011 11:54 PM

I have to agree with several previous posters …that skip is gay. I’ve actually seen 1st and ten a couple of times by accident (channel surfing ) and based on the way he speaks and his mannerisms he sure seems gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Hell, my brother is gay, so I’m certainly not being a hater. Just sayin, it seems like skips got a little sugar in him.

88. gravity4164 says: Sep 1, 2011 12:02 AM

If you’ve ever seen Bayless talk about Tim Tebow you know who’s gay…….

89. Spencer says: Sep 1, 2011 12:02 AM

People who get upset when their sexuality is questioned usually have something to hide.

90. 4512dawg4512 says: Sep 1, 2011 12:16 AM

Iused to hate Skip too, but he’s just doing his job. No when he starts hating on T.O thats when I get pissed!

91. themightywhitey says: Sep 1, 2011 12:17 AM

for the record ……Skip Bayless is not gay ……….his boyfriend is , but he is not

92. imjinbrdgr says: Sep 1, 2011 12:38 AM

Troy should sue him. I mean who the Hell does he think he is insinuating that?

93. imjinbrdgr says: Sep 1, 2011 12:38 AM

NOT THAT THERE’S ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT.

94. puntpassandkiss says: Sep 1, 2011 1:22 AM

I believe that most of the females working at ESPN could kick Skip Ball-less’s butt.

95. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Sep 1, 2011 1:34 AM

trbowman says: Aug 31, 2011 7:59 PM

I love Skip Bayless. Gotta appreciate a fellow idiot.

————————–

Fixed

96. hedleykow says: Sep 1, 2011 1:42 AM

DOWN!!! GOES!!! BAYLESS!!!

97. grandpoopah says: Sep 1, 2011 1:49 AM

“Troy Aikman wonders what he’d do if he saw Skip Bayless”

Umm… he’d kiss him?

98. steelnucs says: Sep 1, 2011 5:12 AM

Gotta love Shatner…SHATner. Heh heh…

Anyway, as a Steeler fan I of course don’t care for the Cowboys, but I care for Bayless even less. Aikman was a great QB and seems like a good guy, even if he’s not the best color guy in the booth. Bayless is like a little yapping ankle-biting dog. Not sure how he has a job…oh wait, he’s on ESPN. He is a talking douche.

99. MVQB7 says: Sep 1, 2011 6:10 AM

Skip Bayless is the same idiot that predicted that Vince Young would win 2 superbowls with the Titans. How is that one working out for you, Skippy?

100. MVQB7 says: Sep 1, 2011 6:20 AM

Let them duel it out with curling irons and powder puffs at ten paces!

101. jpk6044 says: Sep 1, 2011 6:34 AM

Wait, Troy Aikman’s not gay?

102. metzgerf says: Sep 1, 2011 6:45 AM

Bayless is the biggest clown in sports analysis. And I don’t mean that in a “funny jokester” sort of way. He’s a douche. He’s an arrogant douche, and most of what he says in incorrect — even his personal opinions.

103. stairwayto7 says: Sep 1, 2011 7:06 AM

Bayliss woudl knockout Faikamn, give him another concussion and then Troy’s boyfriend, Joe Buck, woudl come to the recuse!

104. dreno322 says: Sep 1, 2011 7:29 AM

Skippy is a joke, sits there and runs his suck with no merit or substance to what he’s saying. I guess once you establish an audience the sheep will listen to anything…C’mon people, turn this guy off!

105. captaintriumph says: Sep 1, 2011 7:51 AM

Don’t get me wrong; Shatner is NOT gay. But Sulu is and admitted he wished Shatner was.

106. EJ says: Sep 1, 2011 7:55 AM

I’m sure he’s read that book head to toe. If they ever turned the book into an NBC special movie, Troy could play one of the lead characters since he can probably recite the book word for word.

Hell Troy, you should have used the book to your advantage…
    I mean, the guy pretty much did all the hard work for you, you know, the whole coming out thing…
    Since you didn’t use the shot when it was given, your still sitting in the closet, bad move.
    One more thing…
    The whole, I don’t know what i’m gonna do when i see him thing… Drop it. Its not you. The whole tough guy thing dropped out of the window years ago, what am i talking about, it was never there.
    If it wasn’t for that amazing front five and a running back named Emmitt in the early 90′s, we wouldn’t even be talking about you right now. You would of been an average Joe, or an average Troy.

107. jwash1989 says: Sep 1, 2011 8:40 AM

i wish more people felt this way about skip more athletes meed to speak up

108. jlb10 says: Sep 1, 2011 8:46 AM

i’d love to see skip get socked in the mouth

109. melonnhead says: Sep 1, 2011 9:57 AM

Bayless also said that Aikman threw games.

And he said Aikman as a racist.

On his radio show during an interview, Bayless told Mark Stepnoski that he wasn’t a very good athlete, and that he (Bayless) was the better athlete of the two, trying to provoke a response.

Trash under the guise of “journalism”.

110. tobiathan says: Sep 1, 2011 9:10 PM

Wait….this Bayless guy called Aikman gay?

Doesn’t that make him racist?

(whistling)

*This post got deleted too (x2) for some unimaginable reason. Not allowed to mention “gay”, “racist” and “whistling” all in one post or what?