Fred Taylor will retire a Jaguar on Friday

Getty Images

Tania Ganguli of the Florida Times-Union first noted the honor when former teammates got excited about attending the ceremony via Twitter. Taylor played 11 seasons in Jacksonville before finishing his career in New England.

Taylor was a lot of fun to watch play. Jim Taylor once said on NFL Network that Taylor had the “fiercest” running style in the league, which says it all.  Taylor’s last truly great season was in 2007, when he rushed for 1,202 yards for the Jaguars team that won in Pittsburgh in the playoffs.

Maurice Jones-Drew was Taylor’s backup then, and has taken over Jacksonville’s short but strong tradition of dynamic running backs.

Taylor ranks 15th all-time in rushing yards.

62 responses to “Fred Taylor will retire a Jaguar on Friday

1. Thanks for the memories Freddy T.

Most yards in both of the Pittsburgh stadiums. Retiring Marino.

And to think, we got you from the Bills for Rob freakin Johnson! HAHAHAHA

2. Taylor was a great player and would maybe have been one of the all-time best running backs if he wouldn’t have been hurt so often early in his career. He ruined many a fantasy football season in those days.

3. Too bad he spent so much time out with injuries early in his career. Glad he was relatively healthy for a long stretch later in his career. 15th all-time in rush yards with all that time missed! That’s pretty incredible.

4. Sad to see him go, it seems guys like him are exiting the league faster than they can be replaced. It’s a shame.

5. hardate says:
    Sep 1, 2011 11:44 AM
    Thanks for the memories Freddy T.

Most yards in both of the Pittsburgh stadiums. Retiring Marino.

And to think, we got you from the Bills for Rob freakin Johnson! HAHAHAHA

Thats damn near criminal

6. I liked Taylor as a player (and I’m saying this as a Colt fan). He seemed to always play hard and physical, very good attributes to have as a running back. Injuries derailed him early on, but he put up a helluva career when on the field. Top 15 in rushing yards, wow.

7. Fred was one of the good ones. One of those guys who are statistical anomalies. You’ll always overlook him because he only really had two “great” seasons rushing yardage-wise. But he WAS consistent. Kids who are 8-12 now will look up in 15-20 years and be like, “WHOA, I NEVER KNEW HE HAD THAT MANY YARDS!”

8. Oh, and personal confession — it took me a LONG time to get over that drubbing in the National Championship Game in 1996. We Noles fans had all but checked that game off and that ended up being the worst we ever lost a football game.

9. I swear I was borderline homicidal the past few years hearing people bring up the “importance” of their ridiculous fantasy teams with regards to player injuries/suspensions, etc. I’m pretty sure I’m going to lose it this year. This FF nonsense is getting out of control, and how people interweave it with every possible news aspect of the game.

10. Pats fan here – wish he had been more healthy with our team. When he was on the field he was a beast for them.

Loved watching him play no matter where he was. Enjoy the retirement.

11. you make an announcement about Taylor retiring as a Jaguar but show a pic of him in Pats gear???? what is wrong with you??? and I am a Pats fan, but the guy deserves more respect than a 2 minute hack job of an article. a simple google image search of him will show you tons of pics in Jag uniform.

12. 234 Yards against the Steelers!

A great RB, injury plagued middle of his career (i think fragile freddy was a little over the top though)

You’ll probably be hearing more about his son in the upcoming years though

13. I had the honer to watch Fred play H/school
    College and pro, A real commodity to his community.

Watch out for his son Little Fred, already a horse in High school.

Good luck and a happy retirement.

14. Truly one of the most gifted RBs of all time. No lie, this guy is right below Barry Sanders in the talent department. Amazingly rare compliment of power, speed, and agility. That 234 yard game on National TV in Three Rivers was amazing. The guy was playing with kids out there. Also, that came where Mike Doss called him out before the game and Fred Taylor ends up breaking through the line with only one man left… Safety Mike Doss, and he trucks him and looks back as he walks in for the game winning Touchdown. That’s some MAN ish right there.

15. chrishousand says: Sep 1, 2011 12:12 PM
    He’s gotta be the first player ever to be retiring a Jaguar since they haven’t been around that long. Congrats Fred!

——————————————
    Actually, he’s the third one this year. Paul Spicer and Donovin Darius went earlier in the year. But certainly the most recognizable of the three.

16. ” chrishousand says:
    Sep 1, 2011 12:12 PM
    He’s gotta be the first player ever to be retiring a Jaguar since they haven’t been around that long. Congrats Fred”

Tony Boselli did. Boselli is also the only current player in their ‘ring of honor’. Fred will join him soon.

17. As a Pats fan, I am grateful to him for being a nice, classy veteran presence for my team. It is a shame how much he was hurt though because he would likely been known as one of the best of his era if he wasn’t. I wish him well.

18. stanmackley says:

best regards Fred.

Buffalo makes the playoffs this year

____________________________
    Preseason pipe dreams.

19. @mr. Wright 212–i couldn’t agree more. I’m not into fantasy football, but I respect those who are…to each his own. What pisses me off though are the CLASSLESS FF fools…you know the ones I’m talking about. Every time there’s a story about an injured player they feel the need to post a comment telling everybody how it sucks because. “I’ve got him on my fantasy team”. NOBODY EFFING CARES! But the worst is when a player gets injured and they rejoice, saying “cool…I almost picked him for my fantasy team”. Pathetic …they find validation in a pro football player getting hurt. Nice. Again…NOBODY CARES WHO YOU DO OR DON’T HAVE ON YOU’RE FANTASY TEAM.

20. Even though I’m not a Jaguars fan, I always enjoyed watching this guy play. He had a very underrated career and should be mentioned among the top backs of all time

21. DonRSD says: Sep 1, 2011 12:42 PM

To all of us fantasy guys he will always be known as Dead Taylor, for all the times he was injured.

——–

See what I mean wiscnsnpatfan?

22. anyone that gives a thumbs down to Fred Taylor and to people who are thanking him for playing hard his whole career really should stop being such a douche. It’s ok to respect a man for his accomplishments even if he didn’t perform for your damn fantasy football team.

some of you guys really should take a long look in the mirror tomorrow morning and work on being better.

23. What a great player and a real class act.

Very much like Curtis Martin…….two quiet and underappreciated guys that just practiced and played their hardest every Sunday.

I’d say he belongs in the HOF one day……he was the best offensive player in Jags history.

24. sickpuppyz says:
    Sep 1, 2011 12:27 PM
    ————————————————–

You took the words out of my mouth. That’s like announcing Joe Montana retires and put up a pic of him in a Chiefs uniform where he spent his final years. Two words: google images.

25. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Sep 1, 2011 1:42 PM
    DonRSD says: Sep 1, 2011 12:42 PM

——–

See what I mean wiscnsnpatfan?

—————————————–
    You know what’s just as annoying as all the people posting about their fantasy football teams? All the people posting about how much they hate people posting about their fantasy football teams.

26. Mr. Wright 212 – it’s about respect for the man and respect for the game. armchair athletes and the drooling masses don’t seem to understand the kind of lifelong commitment and talent it takes to play any sport on the professional level. These athletes put in the kind of work that most people can’t even comprehend.
    Respect the effort and the talent. That’s the point.

27. In his prime. Fred Taylor was one of the most explosive runners, I have ever seen. Such a great running style. RB’s have a small window to shine and display their full talents in their prime. Taylor, unfortunately had a small window where he was truly great. Not many people realize how superb of a talent he actually was.

I remember Jim Brown, when asked who he thought was the most talented back in the league 10 years ago. He gave the nod to Fred Taylor.

28. Wow maddog111, that’s so original. Did you come up with that all by yourself? I love it…goes to show what a moron you are. You’re not smart enough to come up with a valid counter argument, so you post that horses**t…impressive.

29. Fred Taylor and Randy Moss were both rookies the same year. Fred Taylor had 300 more yards from scrimmage and an equal number of TDs, but they gave rookie of the year to Randy Moss. That still pisses me off.

30. I loved watching Taylor play. He is the type of player that will be missed, glad to see he’s going to retired a Jaguar.

31. fred taylors best quote came when he was riding in a plane and the door flew open:

The plane door flew open at around 6,000 feet, causing panic, prayer and several uneasy minutes as the pilot landed at a nearby runway.

“I thought that was it,” Taylor said Monday following the final day of Jacksonville’s three-day minicamp. “I put my head down and started praying. The runway was about two miles away, but it seemed like it took 10 or 15 minutes to get there.”

Taylor joked that it was the first time he felt like he was near death “since I was playing for (coach Tom) Coughlin.

32. Running back Fred Taylor’s underrated career will officially end on Friday, when he signs a ceremonial one-day contract to retire a Jaguar.

—————————————————————-
    True to form however, he gets a case of turf-toe leaving the signing table, and ends up on Injured Reserve for the rest of the year.

33. @jjrs89–your lame attempt at humor is a failure. Why? A classy player retires and you have to make some dumbass remark. And what exactly is a high knee sprain? I’ve heard of high ANKLE sprains, but I’ve never heard of a high knee sprain. Idiot.

34. great player, great diplomat for the game of football. always loved to watch Fred play and agree with many that he could have been one of the best had he avoided all those early injuries.

35. Fred Taylor is a true football player. Fred Taylor could’ve kicked Maurice Jones Drew to the curb and kept all that football knowledge to himself. Instead he embraced the kid with open arms and they both had great success as teammates. I have no doubt when it’s time for Maurice Jones Drew to pass the torch to the next guy, he will embrace him like Fred Taylor embraced him. that’s what the game’s all about.

36. Okay since the first comment I made PFT did not like.

I will say it again nicer. You dropped the ball the blog is way to short for one of the greatest rb in the history of football. Almost as exciting to watch as Barry was to Detriot

Plus the majority of time he was number 28 for the Jags not number 21 for the Patriots. NE is not retiring his number Jacksonville is.

Plus fantasy football is fun and all. But a great player is not trash cause you had him but he got injured.

A awesome athlete A great role model we will miss you Fred. Def belongs in HOF. At least lock for pride of Jaguars.

37. @wiscpatfan. Sorry I didn’t know you and fred taylor were dating.

I respect fred taylor and as a titan fan, he gave us the business when he was our division rival on the reg but I don’t think he is gonna read this and get his. But if he did he hurt reading this, I guess he really is still “fragile fred”