NFL details its 9/11 remembrance plans

Giants Jets Football AP

The NFL will recognize the 10th anniversary of 9/11 with synchronized pregame salutes before all of its afternoon games on the first Sunday of the season, the league announced today.

Pregame events will be shown simultaneously during CBS and FOX telecasts, followed by a Sunday night presentation on NBC. All games will feature a video introduction followed by performances of “Taps” from near the sites of the attacks, and moments of silence.

For the 1 p.m. games, “Taps” will be performed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. For the 4:15 p.m. games, “Taps” will be performed at Arlington National Cemetery. And for the Sunday night game “Taps” will be performed in Hoboken, New Jersey, across the Hudson River to Ground Zero. TV viewers will see the ceremonies, and they’ll be played on videoboards in every stadium.

Coaches and players will join local first responders to hold field-length American flags for the playing of the National Anthem before each game. Players, coaches and sideline personnel will wear a special NFL 9/11 ribbon and all stadiums hosting games on September 11 will feature the ribbon logo on the field.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “NFL details its 9/11 remembrance plans”
  1. darthvader89 says: Sep 1, 2011 3:23 PM

So cool that we get to remember this day with Bin Laden dead.

2. bolt4life says: Sep 1, 2011 3:23 PM

God Bless The USA!

3. gbaird25 says: Sep 1, 2011 3:25 PM

Let’s hope for somber and subtle (not old Roger’s specialty). I’m not comfortable with industry capitalizing on tragedy.

4. techstar25 says: Sep 1, 2011 3:28 PM

… because when I think about the national tragedy that was 9/11/01, I immediately picture Hoboken, NJ.

5. armchairqb says: Sep 1, 2011 3:29 PM

Taps will be performed in … Hoboken?

6. zaggs says: Sep 1, 2011 3:32 PM

Someone remind me again why both NY teams could not play in NY on 9/11?

7. zaggs says: Sep 1, 2011 3:34 PM

“armchairqb says: Sep 1, 2011 3:29 PM
    Taps will be performed in … Hoboken?”

Bloomberg threaten to arrest the honor guard if they brought guns with them.

8. bearsnoah says: Sep 1, 2011 3:37 PM

We still not have the full story of what happened that day.

9. grudenthediva says: Sep 1, 2011 3:47 PM

Sure we do, bearsnoah. It was all Obama’s fault, along with the sinking of the Titanic, the bubonic plague and Justin Bieber.

Sorry, got caught up in all the wingnut hysteria.

10. lightningboltz says: Sep 1, 2011 3:49 PM

zaggs says:
    Sep 1, 2011 3:32 PM
    Someone remind me again why both NY teams could not play in NY on 9/11?
    ————-
    The Giants are playing in DC; remember DC was attacked on 9/11 too.

11. blaz0037 says: Sep 1, 2011 3:55 PM

wait, 3 people already “thumbs down” for the post….”God Bless America”?

wow.

12. allisab says: Sep 1, 2011 3:55 PM

@zaggs Because neither “NY” team actually plays in NY? There’s only one NY team and they play upstate.

13. medtxpack says: Sep 1, 2011 4:00 PM

@ bearsnoah

you might not ya derp, i do.

Freedom in your face dude. love it or leave it.

14. audient says: Sep 1, 2011 4:04 PM

I assume they picked Hoboken, NJ, because there are great views of Manhattan from there. The trumpet, the city in the distance across the water, should be quite moving.

15. FinFan68 says: Sep 1, 2011 4:05 PM

“you might not ya derp, i do. ”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    CJ?

16. zaggs says: Sep 1, 2011 4:12 PM

“zaggs says:
    Sep 1, 2011 3:32 PM
    Someone remind me again why both NY teams could not play in NY on 9/11?
    ————-
    The Giants are playing in DC; remember DC was attacked on 9/11 too.”

And DC plays against the Eagles (from what state?) twice. Hence they could have had both NY teams (yes that play in New Jersey) play on 9/11 along with a DC and philly game.

17. sportfreak1996 says: Sep 1, 2011 4:15 PM

—————–

Nothing says “America” like home games in Toronto.

18. hailskins75 says: Sep 1, 2011 4:24 PM

I hope Obama doesn’t come to FedEx. Nothing against the president but it’s a fiasco around here when the prez shows up to public events. I got into a Nats game two innings late when I was on time because GW was there and they put everybody through metal detectors.

19. whitemike55 says: Sep 1, 2011 4:25 PM

Am I am the only one that got goosebumps reading this article?

Going to be a sight to see watching the Texans and Colts players hold the American Flag along with the armed forces.

God Bless the USA!

USA USA USA USA!!!!

20. dave0320 says: Sep 1, 2011 4:43 PM

It would be very nice if the fans at Arrowhead Stadium would refrain for singing “Home of the Chiefs'; just 1 time in memory of September 11.

21. lightningboltz says: Sep 1, 2011 4:44 PM

zaggs says:
    Sep 1, 2011 4:12 PM

——–
    True. I can see that argument being made. United 93 went down in Pennsylvania.

However, (with no disrespect intended) Pennsylvania was not the target, in only crashed there due to the passengers, who were hero’s. The intended target was very likely located in DC. Probably the Capitol Building or White House.

So all and all I am happy with the schedule.

22. Deb says: Sep 1, 2011 4:50 PM

blaz0037 says:

wait, 3 people already “thumbs down” for the post….”God Bless America”?

wow.
    ———————————————–
    PFT has a lot of readers from outside the U.S. who thumbs-down anything pro-American.

23. Little Earthquake says: Sep 1, 2011 4:59 PM

techstar25 says: Sep 1, 2011 3:28 PM

____

Ha, actually I do. That’s where I was – saw the towers fall from directly across the river on the waterfront after working out at the gym on Washington St. But I get your point.

24. cburmester85 says: Sep 1, 2011 5:03 PM

This is going to be a good thing to see and to bring people together. I have faith the NFL will do this in a classy way and really make it something to remember. I also can’t wait to see America’s team the Dallas Cowboys kick off their Super Bowl run with a win over the Jets.

25. zaggs says: Sep 1, 2011 5:12 PM

“dave0320 says: Sep 1, 2011 4:43 PM

It would be very nice if the fans at Arrowhead Stadium would refrain for singing “Home of the Chiefs’; just 1 time in memory of September 11.”

Disagree. The Giants first game after 9/11 was in KC I believe. They got a huge welcome. Very classy.

26. gadzod says: Sep 1, 2011 6:26 PM

Bills fan here. I’ll be traveling to Kansas City to watch that game. It’s pretty much the only game I’ll be able to go to this year, because I’m leaving for the desert shortly after that. It will be hard to hold emotions in. Dad was in the ARMY when it all went down. I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday. We were on Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri, and everything was shut down. We couldn’t go anywhere for a few days. Now, being in the military myself, I’ve learned to appreciate everything even more now. I still pray for those lost in 9/11, and I still pray for those affected for those injured mentally, physically, and emotionally for an eventual recovery. God Bless the USA!

27. qbofthefuture says: Sep 1, 2011 6:36 PM

@darthvader89:

I rejoiced when we got bin Laden. But this is a solemn occasion, and I’ll be grieving. Nothing about this anniversary is “cool.”

28. waldoampere says: Sep 1, 2011 6:53 PM

“because when I think about the national tragedy that was 9/11/01, I immediately picture Hoboken, NJ.”

Hoboken is closer to Ground Zero than Times Square, Central Park, and Yankee Stadium.

29. getit28 says: Sep 1, 2011 7:12 PM

Yes you will be the only one with goosebumps

30. whichiwhichwawa says: Sep 1, 2011 7:13 PM

Not looking forward to hearing the blow-horn Joe Buck on this somber day!

31. steelnucs says: Sep 1, 2011 7:20 PM

@ qbofthefuture –

I’m pretty sure darth wasn’t saying the anniversary itself is cool. It is sobering. What he’s saying is cool is that we don’t have to make it through one more anniversary knowing that goat-loving piece of crap is still out there. Seems obvious to most I think.

32. realnflmaster says: Sep 1, 2011 7:39 PM

OHHHHHH CANADAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. packmanfan says: Sep 1, 2011 8:14 PM

The NFL just HAS to do this otherwise the terrorists win.
    Is it just me or does this seem a bit tacky?
    It’s the wrong place and wrong time for it.
    People died.