Emmanuel Sanders looks good in return for Steelers

Emmanuel Sanders,  Robert McClain AP

The defense may be old, but the Steelers receiver group is remarkably young and dynamic after Hines Ward.

Following the return of Emmanuel Sanders to the lineup on Thursday night, the group is also healthy.  Sanders caught four passes for 60 yards in his first action of the preseason.

Sanders had foot surgery at the start of camp, his third surgery of the offseason. You wouldn’t know it watching him on a 33-yard catch and run against Carolina.

Pittsburgh may have the deepest receiver group in football with Ward, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Sanders, and Jerricho Cotchery.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Emmanuel Sanders looks good in return for Steelers”
  1. clintonportisheadd says: Sep 2, 2011 9:19 AM

Let’s not jump the gun here. It wasn’t like they were playing against a playoff quality team. The Panthers (at least this year) will be lucky to win 3-4 games this year.

2. myspaceyourface says: Sep 2, 2011 9:30 AM

The deepest WR corp besides G.B.

3. aldashex86 says: Sep 2, 2011 9:38 AM

@Clintonportisheadd

The point is not that he shredded a good defense, the point is he looked healthy. Everyone already knows what he can do when healthy, especially with all the other talent around him.

4. cornellsteelers says: Sep 2, 2011 9:48 AM

If our O-Line could just be average we would have a top-3 offense. And clintonportisheadd, the fact that it was the Panthers doesn’t mitigate the fact that Sanders’ speed and elusiveness both appear to be back.

5. tomosbornesretirementcostjoepaatitle says: Sep 2, 2011 9:59 AM

Young money crew ftw

6. thevoiceofreason1 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:01 AM

Yes cornellsteelers. And if I had wheels I would be a wagon.

7. mistersmith22 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:12 AM

Seriously, the Steelers are rocking the ugliest uniforms in football. The entire Pittsburgh black-and-gold nonsense is horrible, only the Penguins look any kind of good.

Just because their stadium was built with ketchup money doesn’t mean they need to dress like French’s mustard.

8. jw731 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:21 AM

He’s almost as good as Limas Sweed, who a year or two ago, was the second coming of Jerry Rice……Right Stillers fans…….

9. steelerdynasty2010 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:31 AM

@Clintonportisheadd:
    not like he was putting him in the pro bowl. just said the kid looked good out there. relax. he’s recovering from 3 surgeries

10. grant444 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:41 AM

dear jw731 – when was Sweed touted as Rice? Sweed never made it on the field enough because he was injured or messed-up in the head. If anything, he was always bashed by the fans for not showing up. Get your facts straight.

11. udontknowjaq says: Sep 2, 2011 10:48 AM

mistersmith22 says:

_________________________

This had nothing to do with with Sanders return which look good I might add being he’s jus comming back from both feet being broken and with Brown & Wallace the Steelers have arguable 1 of the fastest group of wideouts.. but all that hate bro is not a good look!

12. kevinbobrow says: Sep 2, 2011 10:48 AM

They are saying this guy runs way better routes than Antonio Brown, and from what I recall of watching him he’s stinking fast. I definitely like him better than Brown this year. My only question is whether any of the Steelers WRs will be top options in fantasy. I drafted Mike Wallace in a couple leagues and I’m now nervous about that choice with all this depth…

mydailyff.com

13. jw731 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:50 AM

13 minutes…….a new record…..I may never buy lunch again……..

14. thoff1525 says: Sep 2, 2011 12:24 PM

Steelers defense IS old, but still obviously very effective. Very deep at receiver and a good running game behind Rashard (who I think has looked even better so far this preseason). I am tired of hearing about their “shaky” O-line. People have been considering them the weak point of the Steelers for the past 6 years. Well this “shaky” line has helped them win 2 rings in those 6 years so you won’t hear a complaint out of me.

15. KIR says: Sep 2, 2011 12:39 PM

Who are the Steelers backup running backs? They appear to be extremely thin at that position. Also, considering the age of their defense they’ll be lucky to make it through the year. Is this the last year before that defense is going to need a major overhaul? Steelers look vulnerable.

16. wtf2812 says: Sep 2, 2011 1:12 PM

@KIR … Their top backup RB is Redman, who is young and has looked pretty darn good in pre-season. They may not be as deep as some teams are at that position, but in the salary cap NFL, you can’t have the deepest WR, LB and DL group and have a $100 million quarterback and be the deepest at every other position as well.

I like where this team is now, overall. I’m looking forward to the start of the season.

As for jw731 and the other haters: Keep it up if it makes you feel good. As I said a year ago, all the sh*t talking on here doesn’t mean squat on the field and the Steelers DID reach the SB last year. You guys root for your team and I will root for mine.

Like I said, I like my team’s chances … again.

17. samb27 says: Sep 2, 2011 1:32 PM

There is not a better receiver core in the league, no matter which ones are on the field. Just imagine if they did a 4 spread wideout, and there’s no defenses that can cover 3 of them on the field at the same time, I’m feeling a Super Bowl repeat, for the black and gold

18. engymass2 says: Sep 2, 2011 5:56 PM

I say this team DOES have the best WR corps in the
    league. Young, fast, can catch, smart and a WHOLE lot of heart… and lets not forget Miller at TE. Teams will put their 4 or 5 WR fronts against the Steelers defense and the Steelers will counter with a 4 or 5 WR set of their own. I say they win that battle with ANY team in 2011.

19. engymass2 says: Sep 2, 2011 5:59 PM

… PS… Brady would give his eye balls for a WR group like this one…

20. brownssuckgosteelers says: Sep 3, 2011 5:29 PM

Awesome wide receiver depth bad for Wallace fantasy hopefuls. This unit will have amazing collective numbers but no one guy will have top stats league wide. But this does of course mean a big opportunity for Big Ben to be a fantasy, and far more importantly to Steelers nation, a dominant force this year.