End of holdout solidifies top spot for Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson AP

Rotoworld’s online draft guide moved Chris Johnson into our No. 1 overall spot a few weeks ago.

Yes, he was in the middle of a holdout.  Yes, we were confident it would end in time for Week One.

Arian Foster remains a great top-three pick, but his hamstring troubles are a big enough concern to knock him down slightly.  We also wonder if he’ll get fewer carries this year. Johnson has proven how special he is for three years. Adrian Peterson has done it for four.

This is the last big weekend of fantasy drafts, and Rotoworld’s award-winning guide is completely updated with the latest projections and rankings after all the preseason action. Thanks for the record amount of support this year.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “End of holdout solidifies top spot for Chris Johnson”
  1. thephantomstranger says: Sep 2, 2011 1:22 PM

I don’t think I would draft a guy #1 if he missed all of training camp after no organized offseason workouts and he just signed a big money contract. This has nagging injuries all season written all over it. I’ll take the guy who’s been in camp all preseason and is playing for his next contract, thank you very much.

2. wkinsomnia says: Sep 2, 2011 1:32 PM

Personally, although I am a little disgusted at the way these athletes hold out for Uber amounts of cash, I can also understand that they are just trying to solidify the remainder of their lives with a substantial amount of livable income. I am glad CJ is back with Tennessee as he is the face of that orginization and Tennessee would’ve suffered huge losses in ticket revenue had he not been there playing.
    Here’s hoping that he stays healthy and can have a great season ahead of him.

3. berniemadoffsides says: Sep 2, 2011 1:37 PM

Based on 2010′s rush defense stats, CJ has the easiest run defense schedule (Believe me – I’ve done my research…) and AP has the 4th easiest.

Believe it or not, Turner is second, Frank Gore is theird, and Foster has the 5th easiest run defense schedule. Thing is, Gore, Turner and Foster are all somewhat replaceable with solid backups. CJ and AP are one-man wrecking balls.

So if you want the safest pick in the draft, it’s technically CJ, though I still think AP is most motivated and will have the best season of his career in 2011. You could very easily flip a coin on either of these two, but Foster is undoubtedly the third choice.

PS: Rice = #15. That’s what happens when you face that Steelers run D twice a year, I guess.

4. kevinbobrow says: Sep 2, 2011 1:43 PM

I completely agree with thephantomstranger. I could not draft him # 1 without any pre-season activities, pre-season games, time to grow with your new QBs, etc. He will be good, and could run for more yards and TDs this year than last, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

To me, there is no clear cut # 1 right now. It’s a matter of feel. I’ve seen 6 different guys go # 1 in my drafts. I think the safest pick is Peterson and most upside is CJ or Charles…

mydailyff.com

5. crunation says: Sep 2, 2011 1:55 PM

say Go CJ yea that’s my CJ go CJ yea that’s my CJ go CJ yea that’s my that’s my that’s my.

6. ss3walkman says: Sep 2, 2011 2:08 PM

“Foster and Jamaal Charles are fine options at No. 1 too, but we’ll go with the guys that have proven they can hold up in the season after having a big workload.”

A season after a big workload??

Am I the only one who remembers Jamaal Charles going bananas in the NFL after the Chiefs cut cuckoo Larry Johnson? That was his REAL coming out party.

He may have had almost the same amount of carries after cutting Johnson as he did splitting with Jones last season.

2009 190 attempts 1,120 rushing yards and 40 rec for 297 yards.

2010 230 attempts 1,467 yards and 45 rec for 468 yards.

Charles not proven? FAIL!

7. rmm1984 says: Sep 2, 2011 2:19 PM

I’m so glad my draft was last week. People in my draft panicked over the holdout. I got Johnson at #15 overall.

8. thephantomstranger says: Sep 2, 2011 2:33 PM

ss3walkman says:
    Sep 2, 2011 2:08 PM

A season after a big workload??

2009 190 attempts 1,120 rushing yards and 40 rec for 297 yards.

2010 230 attempts 1,467 yards and 45 rec for 468 yards.

Charles not proven? FAIL!
    ____________

I would hardly consider 230 touches a big workload. Johnson and Peterson have consistently had 350+ touches every year.

9. 6thsense79 says: Sep 2, 2011 2:34 PM

Actually ss3walkman your reading comprehension is a fail. The article says Charles hasn’t proven he can carry a huge workload like AP and CJ and come back strong the next season. That is all true. In fact didn’t Thomas Jones lead the Chiefs in rushing attempts last year? Wasn’t Jones the goal line back? Didn’t the coach say he would stick to the same strategy?

So why act shocked and claim the blogger is failed?

10. depotnator says: Sep 2, 2011 2:56 PM

I won’t be surprised if CJ is a fantasy bust this season.

11. ss3walkman says: Sep 2, 2011 3:25 PM

Charles hasn’t needed 230+ carries to be proven. He can do what most can do with 300 carries in 200 carries.

Yes he may not have what one would consider BIG workloads but without them he still has elite numbers. So maybe he doesn’t need to be in this conversation then because he doesn’t get the carries CJ2k, AP, Foster, Rice, MJD etc does but with what he get’s he still is as proven as them. You know what your gonna get when you pick him draft him and that’s what I call safe. Am I wrong?

Back to back 1,100+ rushing yards and 300+ receiving yards is proven numbers.

So how is that not as safe of a pick if he’s already has two seasons of above average production? If anyone is wrong is the author for even putting Charles in the big workload category if you believe that wasn’t a big workload.

In 2009 the only player to finish with more carries than him after he got the starting gig was none other than CJ2K himself.

So technically games to carries ratio 2009 his workload was much larger than 2010.

12. lanflfan says: Sep 2, 2011 5:52 PM

Big workloads = shorter career.

Not saying Charles is better (he isn’t), but high workloads, like CJ and AP annually have, increase injury risk and usually lead to an early retirement. Especially in RB’s, a highly fluid position where few are ever safe (and not for long).

13. rushbacker says: Sep 2, 2011 7:41 PM

Telling people to take CJ over Peterson at this point is just bad advice. Look at how far CJ’s YPC dropped last year, and add in the fact that he hasn’t played in a real football game since December or early January, and there’s no way he deserves to go ahead of Peterson. This is a fine site to come to for injury news, but I hope no one is using this site as a serious FF resource.