Happy Haynesworth says New England will be his last stop

Getty Images

Albert Haynesworth’s debut on Thursday night went well.

He pushed around the Giants’ backup offensive linemen (no surprise), then spoke glowingly about his new team after the game, calling New England a “career-saving place.”

“If God forbid, I got cut from this team, I know I could go out there and play for another team,” Haynesworth said via the Boston Herald. “But, I feel like this is going to be the last place I’m going to play. If it doesn’t work out here, I’m not going to play anywhere else.”

So what’s different in New England?  Haynesworth says he’s supported.

“Everyone’s here for you. I really enjoy that,” said Haynesworth. “I know my head coach is for me. I know my owner’s for me. My players are for me. I feel relaxed. I’m having fun again. I’m having fun playing football again.”

It’s about this time that Titans and Redskins fans are thinking: Wait until the real games start. In the meantime, the Patriots will enjoy this honeymoon period. They are keeping Haynesworth happy by rotating their defensive linemen a ton.

Haynesworth wishes he came to New England two years ago instead of Washington.

That’s easy to say now, but it has to be music to Bill Belichick’s ears.

100 responses to “Happy Haynesworth says New England will be his last stop

1. he likes to get the practice tape of opposing offense before the games. HE says it helps a lot when you know what the offense is gonna do in advace

2. If BB can keep Randy Moss happy with a backup QB and missing the playoffs, he can keep Haynesworth happy long enough to get past the Jets at least once in the playoffs.

3. I have no doubt that New England has a better culture than Washington did the last few years. But:

No chance I believe this.

4. I’m fascinated with the Patriots defense unit this year. I gotta think that Belichick hasn’t really let much of his plans out in pre-season, and the personnel makes them interesting. With Hayensworth, Ellis, and Carter, amongst others, they have the personnel to go 4-3. They also have the personnel to run a devastating 30 front, but the question would be the edge pressure. There’s depth, there’s talent to do both. Then, there’s the young cornerbacks, to go with the big question mark at safety.

As for Haynesworth, I’d guess that he’s in “prove it” mode, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he had a big season.

5. I think people need to start recognizing that Belichick has a knack with these superstars. He had the same effect in NY, w/LT(he is quoted as saying he “loves” Belichick). Moss clearly took to him, and when he had his brain cramp last year, basically pleaded to return here(still is). Corey Dillon was the worst criminal in the history of the league. Look it up. There is no debate. He was great in NE. Brian Cox- headcase- yet it was his hit on Jerome Pathon on 2001 that set the tone for the last 10 years(no bs here either, that hit changed everything)- he succeeded in NE. There is something about Belichick that most of us dont know, and it is clearly a special quality he has.

6. Shanahan tried to be a tough guy last year publicly embarassing Al but it backfired in his face. Shanahan needs to realize that Elway isn’t under center and he hasn’t done anything as a coach in over a decade. Look how he treated Mcnabb. I hope Donovan and Albert have monster years and the Redskins have another losing year.

7. jw731 says:
    Sep 2, 2011 10:12 AM
    Should they annoint him for Sainthood now?

================================

He is a good player who plays like a great player at times. He is a dirtbag who hopefully can control his behavior the next 3-4 seasons.

8. @giselleisasucubus

The difference between those guys and Haynesworth is they were not fat, out of shape turds who could actually go more than one play without having to come off the field to hit the oxygen tank. Haynesworth will be cut by NE’s bye week. He does you no good standing on the sideline 85% of your teams defensive snaps @ $5,000,000 a year.

9. If he was able to put up one good year with New England, it could be a huge difference for a defense that needs an impact player. Sure, he may start acting up and be cut midseason, but winning puts everyone in a good mood, and outside of Moss’s brief antics last season, there are hardly any instances where the problem children come in and remain that. Even in Moss’s case, he had a few years before his inner moron emerged.

10. Belichick is great with less than desired players but Patriots fans are forgetting one major thing. The other people that Belichick was dealing with WANTED to play football. Haynesworth doesn’t. He is the laziest player in the NFL the last 20 years. If he put in effort, he could have been one of the best d-linemen of all time. Haynesworth doesn’t listen to anyone and refuses to be in shape. I can’t imagine that being a great recipe for a professional athlete.

11. “You know what, when all is said and done, hell, I’d give that money back and I’d come here.”

hahaha…so what’s stopping you from giving the money back then Albert? If nothing else give all $41 millin guaranteed to some DC charity.

12. If Haynesworth didn’t WANT to play football, why is he doing it? Wasn’t he paid an outrageous sum of guaranteed money? I cannot imagine he has blown through it all yet. I’d say the laziest player of the last 20 years list would include players who have flunked out after a year or so because of their laziness (like Jamarcus Russell), not someone who has been in the league and playing for many years.
    What is it about putting a Pats uniform on that makes people say ridiculous things?

13. paintan, he is getting paid 1mil, and he can EARN 5 mil if he hits his bonuses, which will be difficult to hit. Cut before bye week? Yeah, sure he will. Listen, this guy was drafted by Floyd Reese, who is in NE’s front office. Clearly the Pats knew what they were getting, and if his motivation is money, well, that is why he has an incentive based contract. BTW- watch the games. He played 16 out of 23 snaps in the first half, and he looked good.

14. Im sure the skins would gladly take the CHECK THAT U CASHED BACK ALBERT. U cashed the check. He cashed the check so he should’ve played. Wait he did cash the check right? I think he did cash the check. Gosh that got old…..it was funny now when u look back on it.

15. There is something about Belichick that most of us dont know, and it is clearly a special quality he has.

——————————————————–
    SpyGate.

16. How could he give the money back? What is the currency exchange rate for already eaten Big Macs, Twinkies and Ding-Dongs?

17. The Onion Editors Correction:

The quote was actually “New England will be my last stop… before Prison.” – per Albert’s lawyers news release.

18. First Dillon, then Moss…now Albert.

It’s almost as if they put some sort of drug in their food when they go to NE…that completely changes their personna….And judging some of the highlights shown on news, the guy still has it.

No secret why NE, Pitts, GB & NO win…they are solid from top to bottom….and the other 28 teams are not…all missing some things.

Some Redskin fans will be sad to see this,,, but Haynesworth and Carter will excel this season.

19. brutus9448 says: Sep 2, 2011 10:13 AM

________________________________________
    Look fellow Pats fans! Another poster who doesn’t understand the first thing about what cameragate actually was but won’t let their ignorance stop their usage of it to try to insult our team! Isn’t it…special????( NOT)

@toonsterwu…fascinating is a good way to put it. It’s either going to work pretty well or be a 2002/05 style defensive disaster.

Albert can say all the nice things in the world (and yes, it’s nice to hear) after participating in one preseason game, but none of that matters until we see how this plays out for real.

20. all you patriot haters out there, why is it that veteran players love playing in New England??? Younger players leave NE for more money and then come back later in their career saying they miss NE and wish they never left.

21. Please come off this Belichick is a Swami B.S.

This is exactly what Al said when he came to the skins. I’m happy, I’m having fun, I’m supported, blah, blah, blah, blah.

He’ll make some plays, no doubt. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

But if you think Bill has some magic that’s suddenly turned this guy into a decent person and good teammate, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that’s for sale.

22. If he had given up the money and taken what Bill is willing to pay, how would he afford the legal problems he gets himself into every 17 minutes.

23. I am a Bills fan who really only starting hating the Patriots when Pete Carroll was the coach. Sure I loath their success now especially the ban wagon fans it brings, lots of Bills ban wagon fans from the 90’s, but I am jealous of their owner. I give all credit of Patriot success to Robert Kraft. I know he’s not in the trenches but if I could pluck any one person from that org it would be him.

24. should not they be considered Chokers now?……Great regular season, no playoff wins in like 4 years….Kinda like the Chargers

25. “You know what, when all is said and done, hell, I’d give that money back and I’d come here.”

Or he could give it to the guy he left as a parapalegic while driving recklessly on the interstate…hopefully this is his last stop, this chump is the ultimate loser

26. It remains to be seen how everything will work out over the course of the season…..but the real reason for all of the skepticism here is that many people WANT him to fail.

27. so is he retiring after this year because if i am right it’s a one year deal and i dont see much teams offer him big deals anymore.

28. jw731 says: Sep 2, 2011 11:01 AM

Nah, they have the most wins in the NFL the past 10 years, an undefeated regular season, 4 Superbowl trips (following up on the 1985 & 1996 trips). I think most fans would take that. I know as a Pats fan, I do!

29. “I am a Bills fan who really only starting hating the Patriots when Pete Carroll was the coach. Sure I loath their success now especially the ban wagon fans it brings, lots of Bills ban wagon fans from the 90′s, but I am jealous of their owner. I give all credit of Patriot success to Robert Kraft. I know he’s not in the trenches but if I could pluck any one person from that org it would be him.”

Its bandwagon genius

30. Unfortunately we always tend to think that History will repeat itself ( for example PRESIDENTS), but it looks to me that Albert will turn out to be a beast this year. not only for money but because BB will make him.

31. @holdthemayo123: Yes it is conceivable that he’s blown through all that money. When you around punching people in traffic, pawing at waitresses and getting into car accidents, all those millions have a way of not lasting too long. Plus, do you know how many boats and yachts he has?

32. So Haynesworth is supposed to help the Pats get by the Jets who inevitably will whip them again if they make the playoffs on their road to SB champs? Highly unlikely. Sanchez already caught up to Brady and it showed in the playoffs.

33. He’ll be real happy when Nick Mangold and crew flatten his fat butt like a pancake. He should bring a fork and some syrup to the Jwets games – he can have himself for second or third breakfast.

34. 1. willysantos says: Sep 2, 2011 11:26 AM
    ——

Oh? Did Sanchez win 4 AFC Championship games and 3 Super Bowls while our backs were turned?

Did you know that Brady won 2 AFC Championship games in a row? Has “The Sanchize” won an AFC Championship game?

Jets…Always the bridesmaid

35. Looks like Boston has become the destination for the turds. The fact that Boston itself is one big toilet bowl, that’s not surprising.

36. Be honest…Everybody on this planet with the exception of Gates, Buffet, and Richard Simmons would cash a $23M check just to show up on a ball field. We’ve all admitted it.

Last year – Haynesworth fails the conditioning test.

Shanasham – “He’ll keep going through this until he passes, even if it’s twice a day!”

This year – Haynesworth fails the conditioning test.

Belichick – “He’s right where we expected him to be. He’s doing all we ask of him.”

Hayensworth – “I won’t play in a 3-4, and only third downs.”

Last year – Haynesworth finally plays in the last pre-season game and is gassed.

Shanasham – “This is all he can do is play with the thide stringers.”

This year – Haynesworth finally plays in the last pre-season game very effectively.

Hayensworth – “I’ll do anything I can to help this team, they’re there for me, for the first time in my life.”

Do you see a pattern here?

37. the patriots …the team where all the guys that get cut from their former team go, and then after being fired all say how great the new team is………classic

38. So Haynesworth is supposed to help the Pats get by the Jets who inevitably will whip them again if they make the playoffs on their road to SB champs? Highly unlikely. Sanchez already caught up to Brady and it showed in the playoffs.

—————————————————-
    Classic Jet’s fan comment. Where as the Jets built a team with the sole purpose of beating NE, the Patriots organization realizes there are 14 other games on the schedule and builds accordingly. That’s why you will only ever be a wild card team.

39. As much as I hated Shanahan for what he put Al through, I can never respect/root for a grown man that whined his way off the field no matter what assignment he was given!! When you get $40mill in 2 years you should clean the toilets if they ask you to

40. “My players are for me”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Most guys would have said “teammates” …good luck with this guy

41. Who cares if he’s happy? Being happy hasnt done much for Ochocinco game lately…

I’ll believe it when I actually see him play well on the feild against starters.

42. Who cares if he’s happy? Being happy hasnt done much for Ochocinco game lately…

I’ll believe it when I actually see him play well on the field against starters.

43. Funny how the haters like to say things like “the Patriots tape PRACTICES of other teams” to somehow enhance their weak justification for the Patriots making them cry over losses over the past decade. Not true, never has been true, never could be true and never will be true.

The only thing the Patriots were guilty of is taping hand signals from 3 coaches (2 dummy signalers (why would a team have those?? Hmm) and 1 real signaler). These signals were IN PLAIN VIEW to 70,000 people in the stadium. Every man, woman and child could sit there with a bad of paper and some binoculars to record the down, distance, signal and play call.

Yet, somehow this created a Dynasty…got it. No mention of the fact that the Patriots offense WASN’T EVEN THAT GOOD early in the decade. They won the Super Bowls on DEFENSE. Brushci, Harrison, Vrabel, McGinest, Seymour, etc, etc. Keep hatin’ haters. We’ll keep smashin’ your team into the next decade! #getusetoit

44. PS – You know you’re the Team of the Decade when you can’t have a Patriots story without 100’s of comments from non-Patriots fans. We’re under your skin and have been for a decade:-)

#keephatin’
    #wekeepwinnin’
    #pahk-the-cah-in-the-hahvid-yahd

45. “everyone one here is for you”….. that’s Haynesy… but as soon as ANYBODY isn”t saying exactly what he wants to hear…. queue “lay lady lay”

I like the Pats and hope it works out, but do Pats fans really believe that Bill is really going to say exactly what Al wants to hear all year long? no. way.

46. patriotsdefense says:
    Sep 2, 2011 11:43 AM
    that picture is hilarious.

___________________________________

That picture is obviously photoshopped or taken right before Albert grabbed that kid by the head and pulled him out of the stands….only to then say that it was the kids fault.

47. If Haynes worth becomes a dominant defender again this year, I hope at least some fans in DC are smart enough to understand how poorly Shanahan handled that situation last year.
    It seemed like he wanted to punish Haynesworth throughout Training Camp.
    I mean, I’m not sticking up for Albert, but this conditioning test thing lasted for weeks, to the point where I was saying ‘just get him out there, conditioning test or no conditioning test.”
    But for Shanahan, he approached it with an “I’ll show him…” attitude, followed by criticizing Haynesworth thru the media; another real dumb thing to do, especially for a Head Coach.

Shanahan’s an egotistical idiot and a lousy coach. He’ll certainly prove that to Redskins fans this season.

48. If he had come to NE 2 years ago, the Patriots would have won the Super Bowl last year.

The DL has needed someone with his talent.

49. Haynesworth was and always will be about Haynesworth…Hes all about I,I,I…me me me me me ….I,I,I,..I,I,I,I,…me..me..me..me…Good Luck Bill!!!

50. well said patriotinvasion.

Funniest comment in post by williesantos(jests homer).

Sanchez has caught up to Brady? He hasn’t caught up to Chad Henne ! Sanchez is the weakest QB in the AFC East.

Time for the the McElroy era begin in NJ

51. Fat albert is a picec of crap, he is why NO money should be guaranteed, these me first crybabies want to be paid and coddled. Then they can just tank it after getting their up front money and teams are screwed. and I dont want to hear how teams can cut players, they own the damn team!

52. brutus9448 says: he likes to get the practice tape of opposing offense before the games. HE says it helps a lot when you know what the offense is gonna do in advance

George Halas and Lamar Hunt said the same thing, as anyone who knows anything about football knows they were the pioneers of spying in the NFL

Of course some fans still need to delude themselves that such things haven’t been going on since the 1950s

53. @paintan

You’d be taken a lot more serious if you had any facts right or any idea of what your talking about.

1. His salary is like 1.5 million with incentives to get him up to $5 million. Something tells me if he hits those incentives he won’t be getting cut any time soon.

2. If he is cut any time after week 1 of the regular season his salary is 100% guaranteed, since he is a 10 year veteran. Thus cutting him at the bye week saves zero dollars on the cap or for the Kraft’s pocket book.

Any more analysis for us?

54. willysantos says: Sep 2, 2011 11:26 AM
    Sanchez already caught up to Brady and it showed in the playoffs.
    ————————————–
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

Sanchez of the 50% completion rate Sanchezes? Is the equal to the first unanimous league MVP in NFL history? That will reset the record for consecutive passes without an interception with every pass he throws to begin the season?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

55. I predicted this. Simply put, Shanarat betrayed Haynesworth. Bellichick isn’t stupid, and uses Haynesworth in the way that will work for both of them. The result will be getting the most out of the player, instead of , well, what Shanarat does. Albert will be a force this year, and McNabb may even surprise you. Shanarat won’t.

56. sirmixalotalotalot says:
    Haynesworth is broke. I am not kidding that he has literally blown almost all of his money including almost all of the 40+ million the Skins gave him in 2 years.
    —————————————————————-

I didn’t know Fat Albert’s accountant posted here.

How exactly do YOU – of all the people in the world – know this, Einstein?

brutus9448 says:
    —————————————————————

Yeah, except for the fact that the Patriots were punished for taping DEFENSIVE signals, genius; and as someone else pointed out, they were GAME signals, not practice.

The only thing worse than a hater, is an IGNORANT one …… which is pretty much all of them anyway.

57. Fellow Pats fans, know whats cool ? All the
    Patriot Hatred. I love it. You know what it means
    ? It means they’re good. They win. If you ain’t
    a fan, you’re a Hater. They are the most hated
    team in Pro football. Why ? Cuz they are the
    best team in Pro football.

People forget they won 18 games in
    a season just 4 years ago. Then they missed the
    playoffs because the best player in the league
    got hurt. Last 2 years they’ve come up short.
    That, they need to fix and ASAP. My opinion is
    they count too much on Brady (need to run the
    ball more often) and I think their center and
    RG positions need upgrading. They’ve been
    dominated inside last 2 playoff games. That
    has to be dealt with. Run it, run it, run it. Makes
    Brady even better. If they don’t win the Super
    Bowl this year, it’ll be because their center got
    dominated in a playoff game by blitzes up the
    middle or a big Nose Tackle. Or injuries of
    course…

58. sirmixalotalotalot says:Sep 2, 2011 10:28 AM

He is the laziest player in the NFL the last 20 years.

——————————————-

I have two words for you:

1. Jamarcus
    2. Russell

59. skins4343 says:Sep 2, 2011 1:27 PM

—————————————–

Having lived five miserable years in DC, I know that being a 4skins fan is hard but the problem was not solely Fat Albert’s…

Shanarat couldn’t lead flies to feces…

60. Pay no attention to the details, brutus.
    You just keep up the good fight on this 5+ year-old story.

And don’t let the “everyone else has moved on with it” element impede you in the least.

61. When Bill Belichick screams at him to ” do your job”, he’ll start pouting and slack off.
    ___________________________________

Well, at least he wont start crying into his jersey like Manny Wright did when Nick Saban got on his arse.

62. Sometimes people just need a change of scenery. However, Haynesworth had 100 million reasons to put forth his top effort no matter the circumstances. He failed and the Redskins failed.

63. @unbreakable02215

Didn’t they won 11 games when Brady got hurt?

Must be nice to always have that kind of team around you.

He’s 3-0 in SBs as a game manager and 0-1 when the offense runs through him.

64. patriotinvasion says: Sep 2, 2011 12:50 PM

PS – You know you’re the Team of the Decade when you can’t have a Patriots story without 100′s of comments from non-Patriots fans. We’re under your skin and have been for a decade:-)

Which decade?