Before we moved on to regular ol’ veteran signings, we wanted to do one last summary of interesting waiver claims from around the league.
1. Kyle DeVan, who started at guard most of last season with the Colts, was claimed by Philly. DeVan knows Howard Mudd’s offensive line scheme well. Defensive tackle Cedric Thornton was released.
2. The Rams can’t be pleased that Cleveland claimed quarterback Thaddeus Lewis. The Rams said Lewis was challenging A.J. Feeley for the backup job and they wanted to keep him on the practice squad. Trying to sneak him through waivers didn’t pay off.
The Browns also claimed linebacker Quinton Spears (Miami) and defensive lineman Emmanuel Stephens (Atlanta). They cut Auston English, Benjamin Jacobs, and Derreck Robinson.
3. We told you that Brandon Tate, Brandon Meriweather, and two Patriots tight ends landed elsewhere. In all, six ex-Patriots got new jobs. Five were claimed off waivers.
OL Thomas Austin has landed with Houston and DL Landon Cohen has been picked up by Seattle, according to ESPNBoston.com.
4. The Bengals claimed C/G Mike McGlynn (Eagles), and TE Mickey Shuler (Dolphins) in addition to Brandon Tate. To make room, the Bengals cut WR Quan Cosby, C Reggie Stephens, and former Hard Knocks star TE Chase Coffman.
5. This isn’t a waiver move, but the Cowboys replaced veteran offensive lineman Montrae Holland with Derrick Dockery.