Colts will address Manning’s status for opener by noon

Colts Camp Football AP

The Colts are well known for burying injury information, but they know they can’t just ignore all the questions about Peyton Manning.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Colts plan to address Manning’s status for the season opener by noon ET Monday. Schefter echoed Chris Mortensen’s report from Sunday night that there are no plans for Manning to undergo more surgery.  (Schefter left off the “as of now.”)

This isn’t the only news the Colts will break Monday. Owner Jim Irsay said vice Chairman Bill Polian would have a statement about new replay assistant Jim Tressel’s status.

Florio reported on air Saturday that the NFL would review Tressel’s status with the team. Tressel’s hire was made without approval by the league, which goes against protocol.

The last time we saw Polian at a press conference, he was helping to announce Manning’s monster contract extension.  This one won’t have the same celebratory vibe.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Colts will address Manning’s status for opener by noon”
  1. wawa33 says: Sep 5, 2011 9:28 AM

They should all wear Colts sweater vests to the press conference.

2. grogansheroes says: Sep 5, 2011 9:32 AM

By another “procedure” is that a tightening of the neck bolts?

3. jasonculhane says: Sep 5, 2011 9:38 AM

Is this not the worst organization in sports as far as mishandeling injuries? He’s done for the year. I hate this organization because they waited until their ticket sales were completely sold out and now they announce this, I just cannot stand this sh!t in sports. If everyone knew he would be out for 5 weeks they wouldn’t buy tickets. All along everyone kinda speculated it takes atleast 6 months to heal from this particular surgery and they hid or acted, misled or anyway you want to put it, the fans for selling out these Colt games this year.

4. georgeanderson2 says: Sep 5, 2011 9:45 AM

If he needs another neck surgery, shouldn’t he just walk away from the game? Do you need to risk the rest of your lifes health for 2-3 years more of football.

Hall of Famer, top ten qb of all time, no doubt.

Colts could be the surprise team winning that Andrew Luck pick.

5. CKL says: Sep 5, 2011 9:51 AM

Done without protocol, huh?
    Will there be a big media stink over this though? Nope. Colts are one of a few franchises that does whatever they want and the media never calls them out. It’s good to be on the competition committee.

6. iminurheadz says: Sep 5, 2011 9:52 AM

Without Manning, screw the Colts. Especially the doper Irsay and polian. Jim Kelly is still looking for bill

7. billinva says: Sep 5, 2011 9:55 AM

Maybe they can screw in some Frankenstein style bolts to Mannings neck. He does look a little bit like Fred Gwynne.

8. touchdownroddywhite says: Sep 5, 2011 9:56 AM

I wonder if the DE that ends his career will feel proud or bad?

9. scudbot says: Sep 5, 2011 10:07 AM

I’m very concerned about what Tressel’s future will be. Jim, if you’re reading this, and since you can’t go back to Ohio, there’s an opportunity listed today on CL in Indy. “Maintains a safe, clean and orderly dorm by effectively controlling student behavior. Provides counseling and guidance to students in assigned dorm on attitude, behavior and inter-personal relationships with others. Monitors student activity in the dorm and ensures appropriate student behavior.”

10. jim12385 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:10 AM

I am a Patriots fan, but I hope Manning is back early in the season. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoy watching Manning lose, but I still respect the guy for what he has done.

I may be tired of hearing the media fall all over themselves about him and seeing him in 25% of all commercials on Sundays, but I still want to see the guy healthy and have him play.

I enjoy watching my team beat the best competition and a Manning-less Colts team is definitely not in that category.

11. rubicon202 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:11 AM

If I hear 1 more GD report about Manning I’ll go f’kn crazy!

12. polegojim says: Sep 5, 2011 10:17 AM

Sadly – once they start cutting/operating on the neck, it’s pretty close to ‘over’ for active football.

He’s got lots more in the tank, but we may never see it.

13. duerson1985 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:18 AM

Cue the Superman music for this one please…”Now starting for your Indianapolis Colts #4 Brett Favre!” have fun colts fans bwhahahahahaha.

14. 4512dawg4512 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:25 AM

It’s all fun and haha, but in reality this is a serious condition. I hope Peyton, his doctors/training staff and everyone involved take all the necessary precautionary measures. I’d like to see him on the feield but you gotsta fix that thang first yo

15. adx321 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:28 AM

jasonculhane

There’s been a waiting list for tickets for 7 years now sparky

Tickets were sold out before the CBA ever got signed.

Sorry to interrupt your day with reality.

16. KIR says: Sep 5, 2011 10:30 AM

Longterm contract for a player coming off neck surgery? Yes, he’s a great player but how many Superbowls have they been in? How many have they won? This seems to be the criteria that everyone wants to use.

17. ppdoc13 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:35 AM

jasonculhane says:
    Sep 5, 2011 9:38 AM
    ———————————————-
    This is exactly why Indy has one of the worst fan bases in the NFL. This idiot says that people will base buying tickets to thier local football team solely on the basis of Manning being there. Do you think that Pittsburgh would have trouble selling out if Ben were out? Baltimore if Flacco were out? The Pats if Brady were done for the year? The answer is no.

Bottom line is that before Manning came the Dolts couldn’t sell out. They couldn’t sell out until 3 or 4 years into Manning winning. And when Manning leaves the stadium will be empty unless they “Luck” into the 1st pick in the draft.

Indy is a minor league town and the owner is a guy who was born on 3rd base thinking he hit a triple. And when Peyton Manning rides off into the sunset, we’ll also see the truth of that statement.

18. rhymeswithpunt says: Sep 5, 2011 10:39 AM

He should stop being a human bobblehead then maybe his neckbones wouldn’t be shredded. Ever watch an interview with this delta bravo?

19. laeaglefan says: Sep 5, 2011 10:45 AM

Peyton is done. Stick a fork in him. I hope that he enjoys all of those guaranteed millions that the Colts just threw away on him.

20. nooittall says: Sep 5, 2011 10:54 AM

Finally, with Peyton not being able to play everyone will see how poor Bill Polian is as a talent evaluator. Peyton’s ability has covered for this con since his arrival. His only talent is manipulating the national press to hype his abilities. Polian’s only talent is being the luckiest man in the NFL, walking into a team that had already drafted Jim Kelly, being pawned off on an expansion team and spent like a drunken sailor on every veteran free agent in the league for a one year run and almost bankrupting the Carolina Panthers two years into their existance and getting shipped off to Indianapolis where he had first pick in the draft to get Peyton, and even then he almost admittedly picked Ryan Leaf. I guess it’s true, it’s better to be lucky than good at what you do.

21. golonger says: Sep 5, 2011 10:56 AM

When the Colts go 12-4 behind Collins…..the scuttlebut about Manning’s greatness will incur a serious ding…..as it should…….over-rated…..over-rated…..over-rated

22. darthobama says: Sep 5, 2011 10:58 AM

PUP LIST

23. wizahdry says: Sep 5, 2011 10:58 AM

This one is not a big surprise. Neck surgeries are no joke. I think he needs the whole season off since he only had it done in May. If the fans were gullible enough to believe Manning would be on the field only a few months after this kind of procedure then it’s on them. Same goes to the fools who took Manning in Fantasty Fb in round 1.

24. mrvikingsfan11 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:58 AM

I agree with ppdoc13; Your a fan of your TEAM or your not, through good times and bad, after last year as a Vikes fan, I still am a fan always have been and always will be through great times and horrible times!!!!!!!

25. scudbot says: Sep 5, 2011 10:59 AM

“…neck bolts?” Enough. Please stop.

26. hoggers44 says: Sep 5, 2011 11:01 AM

jasonculhane you are a moron! Are you a Colts season ticket holder? If you are then you would know that the Colts are sold out and season tickets renewed in March! The Colts organization is not hiding information so they can sell tickets. They are being prudent when discussing an injury that is not healing as fast as expected!

And ppdoc13 what makes you think this idiot is a Colts fan! Based on your comments you must be Jason Whitlock!

27. macker1283 says: Sep 5, 2011 11:07 AM

I’ve seen people posting on here saying without Manning, the Colts MIGHT go 8-8. Are they insane? They went 10-6 WITH Manning last year. The Colts will be lucky to win 4 games. They have nobody else but him and some decent receivers. However, their receivers will be irrelevant with Kerry Collins. They have no running game. Their defense has never been that good. They are a 4-12 team right now if Manning doesn’t play this year. Maybe now the league will realize, “Hey, maybe Polian really isn’t that good of a GM and Manning made all of his draft picks better?” We all know the Patriots went 11-5 the year they lost Brady, anyone expect that to happen with the Colts?

28. CKL says: Sep 5, 2011 11:14 AM

jim12385 says: Sep 5, 2011 10:10 AM

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    I agree that I love the Pats beating teams @ full strength and don’t wish injury on anyone even players I hate, but most of us didn’t make the “waaahhhhhh Cassel” excuse when the Colts beat them in 08 (for me it’s more of a WAHHH, Dave Thomas acted like a MORON excuse)so I will laugh if Colts fans pull that one.

What ppdoc pointed out looks true to me also from my experiences. There are some great and loyal COLTS fans out there who love their TEAM, but there are also a HELLA lot of “PM only” fans who root for them only because he is there. They are ever so annoying.

29. onegamedoesnotaseasonmake says: Sep 5, 2011 11:37 AM

I don’t get all of the hate for Manning. We all know that he’s a great qb and is an intelligent guy, so what gives?

30. jasonculhane says: Sep 5, 2011 11:51 AM

@ppdoc13 and all you other Colts facials..

I’m not a season ticket holder in Indianapolis, glad I’m not your state sucks and the only you got is Nascar and the Colts. And if you buy your season tickets 7 years in advance your the F&*ckin morons bro. Who in the hell buys anything in advance, especially 7 years down the road deserves a punch in the face, slap upside the head and a swift kick in the ass. And if you don’t believe the Colts DON’T hide their injuries then you need to be taken out right away and be beaten with your own arms:)

31. jasonculhane says: Sep 5, 2011 11:53 AM

@hoggers44

Sounds like your the idiot who thought Manning was actually playing when you bought the ticket in March, then later found out in late May there was hope….Read your statement you made my point for me:)

32. kellystatas says: Sep 5, 2011 2:35 PM

Your neck who be hurt to if you had to hold up that 5-head he has, or maybe it was the oreo licking??

33. vetdana says: Sep 5, 2011 4:19 PM

I wonder why they gave Peyton that Mega rich contract knowing about his neck condition ? Any surgery about the neck from the basal skull down to the shoulder blades is critical in terms of healing time and potential career termination.This story has many unanswered questions.