For 9/11 anniversary, Colin Powell will serve as honorary Redskins captain

Former US Secretary of State Colin Powel Getty Images

The NFL has made league-wide plans to remember 9/11 on the 10th anniversary of terrorist attacks that changed our nation forever.  When the Redskins host the Giants on Sunday, one of the men who played a key role in the United States’ adjustment to our new reality will have a key role in paying tribute to those who died that died.

The Redskins have announced that former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell will be the team’s honorary captain.

Also, 150 family members affected by the terrorist attack on the Pentagon in Arlington, Va., along first responders from Arlington County, will be honored before the game.  The family members and the first responders will hold, with players from both teams, an American flag that covers the entire playing surface during the singing of the National Anthem, by Ne-Yo.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
65 Responses to “For 9/11 anniversary, Colin Powell will serve as honorary Redskins captain”
  1. luckynumberlucas says: Sep 5, 2011 5:48 PM

War criminal, as an HONORARY captain?

Welcome to ‘Merica…

2. bullethead527 says: Sep 5, 2011 5:56 PM

Where are the weapons of mass deception, oh I mean destruction?

3. qdog112 says: Sep 5, 2011 5:58 PM

So they told Dick ChainHe he couldn’t bring his shotgun and he backed out, huh?

4. eastsideballa says: Sep 5, 2011 5:59 PM

Interesting that they would allow one of the masterminds of the 9/11 attacks be an honorary captain, how diabolical is that?

5. Davo says: Sep 5, 2011 6:05 PM

Powell is a humble and loyal servant of this country, and his inclusion is poignant and well deserved.

Ne-Yo? Seriously, NFL, there isn’t *one* Marine in the Corp. that can belt out the Star Spangled Banner? This particular day is about Country, not entertainment.

6. redbeardxxv says: Sep 5, 2011 6:06 PM

Eastsideballa- you’re gonna get flamed for that comment, but I salute you.
    For anyone else, head over to HULU and watch the free movie “Loose Change”. Unless you’re scared to know the truth.

7. wicky888 says: Sep 5, 2011 6:08 PM

eastsideballa:

You’re ignorant, and this site has no time for your conspiracy theory BS. Save that ish for people who care. Stupid hippie.

Now that Im done with that jerk off, whats the over/under for how many times Pat Tillmans name is mentioned on opening Sunday?

8. papertiger418 says: Sep 5, 2011 6:10 PM

“…a key role in paying tribute to those who died that died.”

For the love of all that is good and holy, please PROOFREAD any article that addresses such a sensitive topic! I’ll let typos slide when we’re talking about the Panther’s 3rd string running back, but this was the most horrific event in recent American History. Get it right!

Also: USA! USA!! USA!!!

==================
    ==================

10. tatum064 says: Sep 5, 2011 6:19 PM

eastsideballa says:
    Sep 5, 2011 5:59 PM
    =========================
    Agree 100%, too bad people can’t face the fact that they’re own Government considers them expendable in the face of profits from a war already prepared for.

“selective memory” we remember what we want and let “it must be those people over there” fill in the rest.

“Behind every great fortune…there is a crime”
    -Balzac

11. whiskysauer says: Sep 5, 2011 6:27 PM

Can he play QB for the Redskins too?

12. redbeardxxv says: Sep 5, 2011 6:28 PM

Wicky888, you’re a tool if you think it went down the way they claim it. Go ask a firefighter who’s testimony was banned from the 9-11 commission.
    You know, the testimony that was backed up by multiple sources: firefighters, paramedics, port authority officers, and victims who all claimed they heard multiple secondary explosions as the towers began to fall?
    There’s much more info out there for those brave enough, or smart enough to look. Apparently you don’t fit either category. Go back to your 9 to 5, and ignore the world around you like a good little sheep.

13. dbldmr says: Sep 5, 2011 6:33 PM

War criminal? One of the masterminds? Are you people delusional?

14. bearsrulepackdrool says: Sep 5, 2011 6:35 PM

Anybody else see anything wrong with celebrating America at the home of a team called the “Redskins”? Do your reseach people.

15. gbfanforever says: Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM

Powell seems like a decent man who was a loyal patriot to a fault. His role in the My Lai coverup and the presentation of misleading intel before the UN are two of the most tragic and embarrassing episodes in recent US military history and they maybe would have both been prevented by a more courageous man. I don’t harbor the hatred for him I have for Cheney, Rumsfeld and the like who will never feel the remorse for their actions that Powell seems to.

That said, if you want an honorary captain pick a veteran of the war in Iraq he helped to start or perhaps even a 9/11 firefighter, at least someone who showed backbone.

16. SpartaChris says: Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM

Wow, the tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nuts are in full force on this thread..

17. kegowhisky says: Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM

I wonder if the Giants will have Rudy Giuliani or someone else as connected with the attacks as a co-captain. It does seem fitting.

18. bennyd720 says: Sep 5, 2011 6:46 PM

A black man the honorary captain of a team that uses a racist term to describe their mascot?…How fitting

19. Uncle Leo says: Sep 5, 2011 6:49 PM

@redbeardxxv

So 110 story towers, that had just had two fully fueled planes plow into them, had secondary explosions?

Wow, you make a compelling argument……if you are addressing the National Society of Idiots.

20. tcawa757 says: Sep 5, 2011 6:58 PM

Racist name of the team…wow….now I’ve never read that in any history of the team’s founding. Please expound so we can air the racist tendencies of the founder. We all deserve to know after all. There must be a computer program that allows the user to activate a shortcut key to “insert tired old phrase here”. Seems the usual suspects got duped into purchasing it. “write it down” oops…sorry…that stupid F8 key again….meant to hit the F7 “Shanarat” while holding the shift key to bring up the “Luck” word in the same sentence…. to get things back to meaningful football discussion….my bad…

21. redbeardxxv says: Sep 5, 2011 6:58 PM

SpartaChris says:
    Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM
    ————————————————–
    As are the uneducated, ignorant masses who confuse patriotism and blind faith. Do some research and weigh the facts, then tell me you don’t believe things were a little suspicious.

It just so happened that on 9-11, NORAD was inexplicably running a training excercize that has planes slamming into WTC and the Pentagon, confusing the nations security forces and leading to HORRIBLE response times? Or the idea that Dick Chaney, for the first time in HISTORY took control of the excercize and NORAD that morning?
    Coincidentally, the fighter jets that were put in place to patrol the East Coast were sent to Canada on Sept 10th?
    There’s tons of info out there, but you bray like a donkey anytime someone says anything that make shake your faith in the US government.
    Oh, and BTW, before you start that tinfoil hat, anti American BS again, know who you’re talking about. I, for one, am a PROUD VET OF THE US NAVY, who served with a Special Ops unit of the US MARINE CORPS. (HM3 FMF, 8404 for those that know) I am ANYTHING but anti-American, but I know a BS story when I hear it.

22. RexCanCoach says: Sep 5, 2011 7:02 PM

See what happens when you give idiots Internet access and a keyboard?

“Mastermind of the 9/11 attacks”? Oh that is rich. And the Simpsons really exist too.

23. luckynumberlucas says: Sep 5, 2011 7:03 PM

So you doubt he is a war criminal?

In charge of major cover ups, he was the one who spread propaganda and wrong evidence on the security council, he was in charge of the army who commited major war crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq, he was one of the deciders [SIC!] that decided to attack Iraq on false claims, against all laws of the UN, etc.

In 1945 in Nuremberg, this dude would’ve been hanged or would’ve faced life in prison.

Granted, I don’t think he masterminded all this Iraq mess, but was certainly a major player.

Enough for me and any sane person to say he is a war criminal.

They should honor the REAL heroes, which are the brave firefighters and policemen, as well as the volunteers who were badly screwed by your Gov’t and now are in a horrendous health condition without the help of your Gov’t.

24. thewizardsrevenge says: Sep 5, 2011 7:03 PM

Another sports blog overrun by left wing kooks.

Too bad. This place was cool for awhile.

25. sdw2001 says: Sep 5, 2011 7:33 PM

thewizardsrevenge says:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:03 PM
    Another sports blog overrun by left wing kooks.

Too bad. This place was cool for awhile.
    ————————

Yeah, really. Pretty blown away by the comments, actually. I really didn’t expect it here.

26. sdw2001 says: Sep 5, 2011 7:38 PM

Reading some more. It’s the typical tin foil hat people that claim they have indisputable proof. Meanwhile, many of the claims they are making have been debunked. For my part, I’ll just state that anyone who believes the government was involved in planning 9/11 is not to be taken seriously.

As for Powell, I want to address this comment in the story: “At a time when excitement is building for the start of the 2011 regular season, it’s important that we all reflect on the suffering caused by 9/11 — and on the sacrifices made by so many Americans after that day to help keep us secure over the past decade.”

The thing is I don’t agree with that. It’s football. It has nothing to do with 9/11. Have a pre-game moment of silence or Army chorus or what not. We don’t need former administration officials and politicians and whomever out there grandstanding.

27. redbear18 says: Sep 5, 2011 7:42 PM

Someone must’ve posted a link for the parasprites on those anti-American, conspiracy theory, radical political blogs out there. Hate these guys, they just burn and destroy everything in their path without regard for anything, especially common sense. Jeez, you didn’t hear any of this crap for at least a couple months after 9/11.

28. burntorangehorn says: Sep 5, 2011 7:44 PM

gbfanforever says:
    Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM

==========================
    I have some inside anecdotes about how all that went down, and how Rumsfeld kept rejecting assessments that disagreed with pre-determined conclusions. I agree that Powell was loyal to a fault, but here’s a must-read article if you want to know about his involvement in selling the WMD line to the UN assembly:

At any rate, I served in Iraq, I despise Bush II, want Cheney to be buried neck-deep in a rat’s den, and think Rumsfeld’s the most damaging SECDEF in my lifetime. But Powell’s done a lot of great things, and having read that article, I tend to think that it would be unfair to harbor those types of feelings toward Powell.

For you 9/11 conspiracy theorists, I’d like to point out that even if the official version isn’t completely accurate, that doesn’t make the whole thing a conspiracy, and it definitely doesn’t make it all a plan hatched by the US government against thousands of its own people.

For you who call him a war criminal Colin Powell was the secretary of state, not in charge of NASA or anything in the Dept. of Defense. If anything, Powell was responsible for misrepresenting evidence in front of the UN, but he did not order troops to battle in OIF or even OEF. He hasn’t held a command over defense personnel of any sort since long before the second trip to Iraq.

29. burntorangehorn says: Sep 5, 2011 7:48 PM

thewizardsrevenge says:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:03 PM
    Another sports blog overrun by left wing kooks.

Too bad. This place was cool for awhile.
    ========================
    9/11 truthers often aren’t left-wingers; many are actually libertarians. This isn’t an issue of left vs. right. Reasonable people can be found on the left and right. This is an issue of reality vs. delusion.

30. burntorangehorn says: Sep 5, 2011 7:53 PM

luckynumberlucas says:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:03 PM
    So you doubt he is a war criminal?

======================
    This is all anyone should need to read from you to know that you haven’t actually performed any research on this issue. He wasn’t even in charge of the army or any other military component in Iraq or Afghanistan post-9/11, and he did not decide to attack Iraq, as that was actually the vote of the congress (including people like John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, and Hillary Clinton) and ordered by Rumsfeld, Cheney, and Bush.

31. redbeardxxv says: Sep 5, 2011 7:53 PM

I’d respond, but it would just get removed again. I’m done. Go look it up for yourself, or go on believing what you were spoon fed. Whatever.

32. philriverslovespenis says: Sep 5, 2011 7:58 PM

@burntorangehorn and all other vets past & present: Thank you for the freedom!!!!

33. bennyd720 says: Sep 5, 2011 8:00 PM

tcawa757 – “Racist name of the team…wow….now I’ve never read that in any history of the team’s founding.”

Redskin is a derogatory term for American Indians…try doing some research outside of NFL stats

34. burntorangehorn says: Sep 5, 2011 8:06 PM

redbeardxxv says:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:53 PM
    ==========================
    I wasn’t spoon-fed anything. I don’t think everything happened exactly like it’s written in the 9/11 commission report, but I’ve done a significant amount of professional research on the matter. Things that are within interpretable distance of the official line are supported by far stronger evidence than the conspiracy theories. This whole 9/11 truther movement seems to be to young people as the birther movement is to senile people.

35. goldenblurb says: Sep 5, 2011 8:11 PM

Watch “Blueprint for truth” and try to shoot holes in the tin foil hat wearing architects and engineers ( 1500 plus) that use physics to call BS on the fairytale most of you gladly accept.

I finally watched it about three years ago and it changed my whole outlook. I’m afraid science trumps lying politicians padding their bank accounts with patriots blood.

36. luckynumberlucas says: Sep 5, 2011 8:21 PM

@burntorangehorn

No, of course not!

What was I thinking?

How could I be thinking, the secretary of state had anything to do with foreign issues concerning the US.

That is, of course, utter nonsense by myself, isn’t it?

And just FYI, the SecState supervises and controls the Department of State, Department of Defense, the CIA, NSA, Homeland Sec and any other foreign intelligence division, thus making him the person of being “in charge” of the presentation of wrong and false evidence and orchestrating a well planned propaganda campaign against Iraq.

Advisor to the president, 3rd most important member of the cabinet, yet you think he wasn’t part in the decision process to attack Iraq?

Wake up!

37. mrvikingsfan11 says: Sep 5, 2011 8:27 PM

Get off our sports site you looney followers, any high school kid can write an article or make a movie and then say it is fact and you people would believe it, this site is to talk about sports not for all your wish wash crazy talk conspiracy crap!!!!! P.S. We don’t care if you say there is proof out there, did you not read what I just wrote? WE DON’T CARE!!!!!

38. bossisforboston says: Sep 5, 2011 8:28 PM

Him being there is understandable.. but as a captain? too much…

39. procre8te says: Sep 5, 2011 8:30 PM

AT redbeardxxv

Hey man, you kinda lost credibility at “excercize ”

Just sayin…

40. getit28 says: Sep 5, 2011 9:32 PM

Honestly don’t care!

41. dolphandan says: Sep 5, 2011 9:52 PM

I hope Pat Tillman gets 5 min with him, Dick Cheney and George W. Bush when they die, so he can personally send all 3 to hell.

42. skinsfantom says: Sep 5, 2011 10:01 PM

THIS IS YOUR CUE TO LEAVE THE GREATEST COUNTRY ever x 100 left wingnuts. PICK UP A WEAPON AND STAND A POST, ya snot nose little mommas boy. if my country did what you say, wouldn’t you want to leave it? DISMISSED.

43. countsnail says: Sep 5, 2011 10:19 PM

Week 1 will certainly be awkward for Rashard “The Truther” Mendenhall…

44. saintez says: Sep 5, 2011 10:20 PM

Seriously? This is football…. I can’t believe how wackadoodle people are. Pump the brakes folks… Really.

45. redbeardxxv says: Sep 5, 2011 11:02 PM

procre8te says:
    Sep 5, 2011 8:30 PM
    ———————–
    sorry spelling Nazi- I knew it was wrong, but being at work at the time, didn’t have the time or inclination to correct it. Truth be told, that was the 3rd time I rewrote the word and could not find the spelling. Mental lapse, my bad, next time I’ll let you proofread for me. As far as my credibility, I’m not asking you to trust me or anything I say. In fact, I want you to prove me wrong. In doing so you will find enough inconsistencies in the reports, pictures, suppressed information, testimony never allowed in court, physical evidence tampered with or out and out removed from ground zero BEFORE investigations were complete, or plain bold faced lies to at least cast a shadow of a doubt in your mind.
    “Loose change” and “Blueprint for truth” are a good start. Again, if you’re afraid to know the truth, ignore it. Everyone else did. If you consider yourself a reasonable and well informed person, and you haven’t seen the evidence, please go have a look. Don’t trust me. Find out for yourself.
    For the rest of you, calling a person names doesn’t win an argument. Try using facts to dispute me. Braying “I DON’T CARE/WE DON’T CARE” like a donkey also proves nothing other than your ignorance. So, someone killed your neighbors, and you don’t care who? You’re satisfied blaming the Boogie Man? Pathetic.

46. redbeardxxv says: Sep 5, 2011 11:11 PM

skinsfantom says:
    Sep 5, 2011 10:01 PM
    ———————————————–
    And where did you serve? I have a DD214 with “Honorable Discharge” written on it. Do you? “Snot nosed kid?” I’m guessing I’m old enough to be your daddy. Anyway, you’re implying that the US wouldn’t do something like this? What about the Gulf of Tonkin? The Teskeegee Experiments? Project MKULTRA? Operation Paperclip? Plum Island? Lyme Disease? I bet you don’t know what any of these are, look them up. They are all documented and admitted fact. The Freedom of Information Act led to the release of documents that left the US with a lot of explaining to do. The US government and the heavily biased media glossed over most, but the info is out there. Again, go look it up. Educate yourself, because it looks like your teachers failed.

47. goldenblurb says: Sep 5, 2011 11:15 PM

You can love your country, swear an oath to defend the Constitution and still question your government. We the people are this country not the bastards in DC.

DISMISSED

48. burntorangehorn says: Sep 5, 2011 11:21 PM

luckynumberlucas says:
    Sep 5, 2011 8:21 PM
    @burntorangehorn

No, of course not!

What was I thinking?

That is, of course, utter nonsense by myself, isn’t it?

Wake up!
    =========================
    Uh, no, the secretary of state does not control the DOD, NSA, Dept. of Homeland Security, etc. In fact, there’s only one intelligence organization the secretary of state directs, and that’s the State Dept’s Bureau of Intelligence and Research (INR).

Secretary of State is an executive level 1 position, reporting directly to the president. Secretary of Defense is also an executive level 1 position, reporting directly to the president, and is actually the one in charge of the military services, National Security Agency, Defense Intelligence Agency, National Geospatial Intelligence Agency, and a few other orgs. The only one in charge of the CIA is the director of the CIA (will be Petraeus as of tomorrow), and he reports to the Director of National Intelligence, who reports to the president.

I don’t have the time to explain to you the structure of the executive branch of the US government, but suffice to say that you don’t know it right now, because there’s really not any kind of ambiguity to the fact that the secretary of state is absolutely not anywhere in the chain of command for the military or any other part of the DOD. That you’ve now said twice otherwise has been to your own embarrassment.

In case you have any further questions of who is in charge of what department, I refer you to this list of executive level 1 positions:

Each is in charge of a department (most of them), office (USTR, OMB, NDCP), or other high-level org (Social Security Admin, Federal Reserve, etc.). But both Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta would probably be pretty surprised to find that you think that Clinton is in charge of Panetta’s department.

49. tcawa757 says: Sep 5, 2011 11:27 PM

bennyd720 says:Sep 5, 2011 8:00 PM

Redskin is a derogatory term for American Indians…try doing some research

So you mean do some research other than that which involves the founding of the team, the founder and his views as well as those who supported his position in the American Indian community? I’ve done that…clearly you haven’t.

50. karlpilkington says: Sep 5, 2011 11:38 PM

Wow. Unbelievable. I am actually speechless. Mastermind of 911. Wtf is wrong with you people. You call yourself football fans. This sport is as American as it gets.

51. tatum064 says: Sep 5, 2011 11:46 PM

dbldmr says:
    Sep 5, 2011 6:33 PM
    War criminal? One of the masterminds? Are you people delusional?
    ====================
    No, just not brain-washed sheeple. He wasnt a mastermind, but he benefitted from the War that followed, nit-wit.

Ever heard of Carlyle Group?

The gullibility of people is laughable.

52. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Sep 5, 2011 11:48 PM

burntorangehorn says:
    Sep 5, 2011 8:06 PM
    redbeardxxv says:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:53 PM
    ==========================

———————–

I can’t believe that I am typing this – I agree with you burnt…

I live in Saudi Arabia and most people here are on the side of redbeardxxv and luckynumberlucas…Now that is it an interesting dynamic!

53. tatum064 says: Sep 5, 2011 11:48 PM

SpartaChris says:
    Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM
    ==============================
    Yeah? you believe that “hole in the wall” with no plane debris Penta-con garbage, too?

idiot.

54. tatum064 says: Sep 5, 2011 11:56 PM

skinsfantom says:
    Sep 5, 2011 10:01 PM

====================

this is your cue to remember; My Lai Massacre, Vietnam, Haditha, Abu Gharib and several other massacres of innocent people over wars.

And i dont live in the country. I left 5 days after Sept 11th.

It’s a great country, and nobody is leaving it, they will question the official story demand answers until the truth comes out. There isnt any fight, insult or childish chest banging thats going to bring back those lives lost, because some international bankers, politicians and intelligence agencies took a “war game” to its final stage.

55. rockieschef says: Sep 6, 2011 1:23 AM

uhat does an honorary captian do anyway? Call plays? What,,,,? Does he get a free jersey with a 1 on it and a C? 2 more minutes of fame b4 the game,,,,just play

56. duffer58 says: Sep 6, 2011 2:04 AM

Bush,Cheney,Rice,Rumsfeld all should be in jail for complete incompetence. Powell is a great American.

57. vacman9100 says: Sep 6, 2011 2:16 AM

RexCanCoach says:
    Sep 5, 2011 7:02 PM
    See what happens when you give idiots Internet access and a keyboard?

————————————————–

Hey you also forgot to say that the Transformers movies are really documentaries.

I agree with you. I have not heard 1 time from any credible places that Colin Powell was a “mastermind” in the 9/11 attacks.

58. dbldmr says: Sep 6, 2011 8:07 AM

Reading the comments from the conspiracy theorists is astonishing. Our government could screw up a one-car funeral but was capable of orchestrating 9/11? You give that bunch way too much credit.

Delusional.

59. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Sep 6, 2011 8:28 AM

tatum064 says:Sep 5, 2011 11:48 PM

SpartaChris says:
    Sep 5, 2011 6:40 PM
    ==============================

idiot.

————————

Pot meet kettle…

60. blackqbwhiterb says: Sep 6, 2011 8:30 AM

If the Islamic lunatics came out and took credit, have acted in every way like they did it, have never cried foul that they were being wrongly accused and cast as killers, why oh why do you wackos persist???Further if you knew ANYTHING about firefighting or building construction, it is obvious how and why the towers fell.

Having said that, I think after leaving the Bush administration Colin Powell turned out to be everything I thought he always was…..

61. orakpownd says: Sep 6, 2011 8:31 AM

What a bunch of dumb hippies. Please read more propaganda…..

62. mpayne12 says: Sep 6, 2011 10:40 AM

Sad everyone is squabbling over who’s to blame. I think your all forgetting the point that this is about the victims of 9-11 and paying a tribute. I think its going to be quite an emotional game to watch.

63. burntorangehorn says: Sep 6, 2011 8:58 PM

tatum064 says:
    Sep 5, 2011 11:46 PM

Ever heard of Carlyle Group?

The gullibility of people is laughable.
    =========================
    Yes, what about it? It’s a private-equity enterprise, and therefore is not publicly traded. It’s going public soon, just like one of its recently-sold subsidiaries, Booz Allen Hamilton. My guess is that the reason you brought up Carlyle is because you think Booz is/was evil. Couldn’t be further from the truth, as I can tell you from personal experience. What personal experience do you have with any of this?

64. smellmyface says: Sep 6, 2011 11:07 PM

Can we please have a way to flag comments that have nothing to do with sports?????????

65. dikshuttle says: Sep 7, 2011 1:42 PM

After the performance by Ne-Yo the fans will be asked to ingest either a blue pill or a red pill. Fans taking the blue pill will continue to perceive an improvement in the team’s play….
    ….
    Takers of the red pill will realize, breaking out in a cold sweat, that Rex Grossman is their starting QB.