Saints extend Sean Payton through 2015

Sean Payton AP

Sean Payton told PFT Live last week that he expected to have at least “another good 5-6 years” coaching the Saints.

On Monday morning, the team made it official.  The Saints announced via Twitter that Payton is officially on board through 2015.

Owner Tom Benson was predictably pumped.

“I am very pleased to announce this contract extension today for Sean that will run through the 2015 season. Our goal is to continue to build a TRADITION of winning here in New Orleans and Sean represents that tradition,” Benson said.

It’s easy to forget what a lack of tradition the Saints had before Payton. He’s guided them to the playoffs three times, with a Super Bowl title and another NFC Championship appearance in only five years.  The franchise had one playoff win since they came into the league in 1967 before Payton got there.

Payton joked to Florio that he wanted to stay at least as long as Drew Brees is around.  The next order of business for New Orleans is to get Brees signed at least through 2015 as well.

Despite a “huge gap” between the Saints and Brees at the negotiating table for now, we fully expect the team to make sure Payton and Brees stay together for a while longer.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
39 Responses to “Saints extend Sean Payton through 2015”
  1. freidasboss says: Sep 5, 2011 12:07 PM

So, what happens after 2015?

2. goawayeverybody says: Sep 5, 2011 12:07 PM

Awesome.

Saints will win Super Bowl XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII, and XLIX.

3. favrespeckerpictures says: Sep 5, 2011 12:12 PM

Drew Brees……….good call Nick!!!

4. vikescry1 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:14 PM

Good for him he is a good coach, I actually wanted him in Greenbay. But I must say i’m happy with McCarthy, he’s made a believer out of me. I have no doubt Payton will keep the saint’s competitive. (Just not this week ok, Payton)

5. mikemcsaint says: Sep 5, 2011 12:16 PM

To all the prognosticators and savants who said he was going to Dallas, I guess you were wrong again.

6. mdd913 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:20 PM

Bring on the haters

7. mikebyrne1502 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:25 PM

What if Brees doesn’t sign and extension?

8. chrishousand says: Sep 5, 2011 12:26 PM

Hmmm…what a coinsidence. Everybody gives all the credit to Sean Payton. Isn’t that when Drew Brees got there too. I would love to see what kind of team Payton would have built without Drew Brees. Pretty sure there is no Super Bowl title and no playoffs…

9. patpatriotagain says: Sep 5, 2011 12:27 PM

so he won’t be geauxing to dallas?

10. cwmorga says: Sep 5, 2011 12:29 PM

It’s a good time to be a Saints fan. I hung out with a Niners fan and a Seahawks fan yesterday and listened to them rant about how bad their teams are gonna suck this year. I’ve weathered waaay to many of those seasons. It’s great to root for a contender, and Payton has a lot to do with that.

11. jpb12 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:29 PM

How much of his money does he have to give to Greg Williams?

12. ranksarot says: Sep 5, 2011 12:42 PM

so will he be moving the family back from dallas now?

13. kingmj4891 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:44 PM

Epic Failure Saints Gonna go 4-12 this year.

Brees = Overratted System QB

Gregg Williams is the master while Payton just had a fluke year.

The SeaChickens beat the Saints come on Saints are done till at least 2016.

14. mikemcsaint says: Sep 5, 2011 12:46 PM

@chrishousand, intelligent post, I must say. Can I ask you, how manySuperbowls has Belichick won without Brady? A great qb is a requirement in today’s NFL.

15. cobrala2 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:50 PM

First order for business?
    Get a fresh prescription with 4 years of refills.

16. pmars64 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:55 PM

Asking how many SB titles Payton wins without Brees is like asking how many titles Belichick wins without Brady or Walsh wins without Montana. Virtually every SB winning coach has had an elite QB at the helm. Maybe the 2000 Ravens, 2007 Giants (sorry, Eli), and who else (?) have one without one?

Payton, Loomis, and Brees have done something that is really hard to do: turn a historically lousy franchise into a champion. It doesn’t happen often in any league. It’s shocking to think that this former crappy franchise, who was among the dregs of the NFL for decades, has actually equaled or bettered the post-season success in the last five years of marquee franchises such as Dallas, New England, San Francisco, Baltimore, Philadephia, etc. In my wildest dreams 6 years ago, I never thought that would have happened.

17. getweird4u says: Sep 5, 2011 12:56 PM

Smart move he is a great offensive mind and solid all around coach.And a pillhead!

18. valman61 says: Sep 5, 2011 12:56 PM

Chrishousand

I tend to agree with coaches impact are a bit exaggerated, good players make good teams great. But Brees was cut from SD and basically told he’s not big enough or good enough for the league. Payton and the front office took a shot and it worked big time. He and their GM deserve allot of credit. He is a great coach, and my favorite team plays in the NFC east.

19. mrcogburn says: Sep 5, 2011 1:01 PM

Way to go, Lee Harvey.

20. mikemcsaint says: Sep 5, 2011 1:09 PM

@kingmj4891, I must say, you are another brilliant poster. Wow, your vast knowledge of football is amazing. The first qb in league history to through for 4000 yards 5 years in a row is a”system quarterback”, whatever that means. Every qb is a “system quarterback”. Smart coaches design systems to maximize the talents of their quarterback. Who’s your team (s)?

And as for epic fail, look at the Saints record since both of these guys came into the league. Again, intelligent post though.

21. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Sep 5, 2011 1:12 PM

ranksarot says:Sep 5, 2011 12:42 PM

so will he be moving the family back from dallas now?

————————————–

Nope…Not sure why it matters to you since Benson has no issue…

22. dkeyser says: Sep 5, 2011 1:19 PM

Overrated system quarterback???? The man was 15 yards shy of throwing for 5000 yards..Also tied the completion record in the Super Bowl..id like to know what system they are using in N.O….Im sure 31 other teams are wondering too….

23. turbodog1027 says: Sep 5, 2011 1:26 PM

chrishousand says:Sep 5, 2011 12:26 PM

What an idotic statement.
    Great players make great coaches and vice-versa. Trust me, Joe Montana doesnt make it to the Hall of Fame without Bill Walsh.

24. turbodog1027 says: Sep 5, 2011 1:28 PM

kingmj4891 says:Sep 5, 2011 12:44 PM

Epic Failure Saints Gonna go 4-12 this year.

Brees = Overratted System QB

Gregg Williams is the master while Payton just had a fluke year.

The SeaChickens beat the Saints come on Saints are done till at least 2016.

THUMBS UP FOR MOST IGNORANT POST EVER!!!!

25. goawayeverybody says: Sep 5, 2011 1:31 PM

Wow I can’t believe people here are still posting about the Vicodin incident.

All I can say is LAME. You all wish Sean Payton were your head coach and you know it.

26. prmpft says: Sep 5, 2011 1:49 PM

THAT’S why it’s taking so long to get Brees’ deal done…

27. scomibord says: Sep 5, 2011 2:21 PM

People hate on what they fear! Congrats sean, you deserve it.

28. rajbais says: Sep 5, 2011 2:22 PM

Why was there all this moving-to-Dallas talk???

29. hobbstweedle says: Sep 5, 2011 2:44 PM

jpb12 says: “How much of his money does he have to give to Greg Williams?”

Don’t know… but I’m sure it got offset with a new key to the medicine cabinet.

Oh, and as for the “Well, I guess this shoots down the Payton-to-Dallas haters” comments, explain to me, please, what it is in this new contract that keeps Payton from Dallas once he pill-pops his way out of New Orleans, or once Jason Garrett proves his true worth.

30. shadow1018 says: Sep 5, 2011 2:47 PM

@KINGMJ4891, YOUR AN IDIOT!!!!

31. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 5, 2011 2:51 PM

Will be funny if Brees can’t come to terms. Payton’s arrogance will be shut down (looking like he did as our PUTRID offensive coordinator when Collins was here) and Saints fans can go back to brown bags over their heads.

32. shadow1018 says: Sep 5, 2011 2:54 PM

@DKEYSER, ACTUALLY DREW BREES THREW FOR 5069 YARDS THAT YEAR. JUST SAYIN’….

33. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 5, 2011 3:40 PM

He’s one of the brightest football minds in the league and is at the top of his game.
    I don’t expect rival fans to have love for him, in fact, I’d be a little worried if everyone did. All that matters is that he turned around the Saints franchise from perennial losers to a competitive team that can hang with anyone in the league.
    For those of you who keep bringing up the baghead comments, you need to live in the NOW. I’m sure we can all go back in your team’s history and find darker days, unfortunately for you, the darkest days are probably happening right now, so I understand why you would want to look back on the past.
    That’s all cowboys fans ever do!

34. mikemcsaint says: Sep 5, 2011 3:49 PM

@hobstweedle, you’re another brilliant poster. If he’s under contract to the Saints to be the head coach, he can only leave if he’s fired or the Saints let him go. Remember Gruden leaving Oakland? Dalla then would have to compensate the Saints. And as far as the pill popping comments go, have you seen Payton stealing and ingesting pills? I’m sure you haven’t. Do you know how many coaches in the NFL don’t live in the city they coach in? I’m sure you have this information.

35. hobbstweedle says: Sep 5, 2011 4:25 PM

No, I haven’t “seen” that. I wouldn’t breath the same air as Sean Payton for all the tea in China – the man gives me the creeps.

Anyway, when you say, “he can only leave if he’s fired or the Saints let him go,” how does that differ from “pill-pops his way out of New Orleans”? It doesn’t. Glad you’re on board.

36. goawayeverybody says: Sep 5, 2011 4:27 PM

Saints go no worse than 11-5 this year and Failcons/Falcants go 9-7. Failcons fans, your coach is weak and gutless and you know it.

37. mikemcsaint says: Sep 5, 2011 4:44 PM

How does it differ? if I need to explain that then i won’t waste my breathe. You make an accusation that you can’t substantiate. Do you know that he uses drugs? Do you know if he’s ever abused drugs? NO you don’t. You read something, and you believe it. Pretty shallow.

38. getweird4u says: Sep 5, 2011 6:43 PM

@mikemcsaint
    So all those missing pills just disappear,i abused vicodin for five years following a car accident and it takes one to know one trust me….pillhead!!! It is a VERY hard thing to overcome i could only imagine how hard with millions of dollars at your disposal.So no its not me being shallow its me putting 1+1 together.I LIKE sean peyton i really do but i knows what i knows…

39. mikemcsaint says: Sep 5, 2011 7:04 PM

@getweird4u, so you know that an ex employee with an axe to grind wouldn’t fabricate the truth. You know that Sean Payton took the vicodin, not one of the other people who had access. You know nothing but what you think. While I’m sorry for your addiction, don’t assume one shoe fits all. You’re assuming Payton had a reason to take them. You’re assuming he had, or has, an addiction, while you have NO proof. ASS U ME all you want.