Jonathan Goff gone for the year with torn ACL

Jonathan Goff AP

When Tom Coughlin became head coach of the Giants, he famously (or perhaps notoriously) railed against a rash of injuries that plagued predecessor Jim Fassel’s final year on the job.  And in what could be Coughlin’s final year on the job with the Giants, there’s a rash of injuries.

The latest?  Middle linebacker Jonathan Goff has been lost for the year with a torn ACL, per a league source.

A fourth-year player, Goff started every game last year.  His roster spot is expected to be taken by former Giant Kawika Mitchell.

The Giants have lost players like cornerback Terrell Thomas and linebacker Clint Sintim to knee injuries.  Defensive end Osi Umenyiora also is out, but not for the season, with a knee injury.  Rookie first-round cornerback Prince Amukamura suffered a broken foot early in camp.

UPDATE:  Adam Schefter of ESPN confirms the report, adding that Goff banged his right knee with a player on offense during practice on Monday.

Permalink 67 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
67 Responses to “Jonathan Goff gone for the year with torn ACL”
  1. johnnycamparm says: Sep 6, 2011 4:50 PM

Redskins 72 – Giants 0. Never forget 9-11

2. bluefan204 says: Sep 6, 2011 4:50 PM

Man, I just…..someone in that organization must have done something to piss the football gods off, because this crap just won’t stop.

Totally at a loss for words.

3. jamrho5 says: Sep 6, 2011 4:51 PM

go eagles

4. ticalcaldwell says: Sep 6, 2011 4:51 PM

I already know the expression on Coughlin’s face right now…….

5. berniemadoffsides says: Sep 6, 2011 4:52 PM

This is absolutely ridiculous… the season hasn’t even started and we’ve lost 1/3 of our defense!?

6. youdownwithjpp says: Sep 6, 2011 4:53 PM

Just when he started to show promise in regards to his pass defense. What’s next?

I hope Mitchell can step up and fill the spot. I would like to see Greg Jones make a run as well.

This will be interesting..

7. pattyarbuccholz says: Sep 6, 2011 4:53 PM

These Giants can’t catch a break. The defense is seriously depleted. Now is a perfect time for the Herzlich feel good story to continue, nevertheless.

8. dohpey28 says: Sep 6, 2011 4:53 PM

That’s terrible. He looked really improved over last year, and a lot more comfortable in the middle.

I wonder if they’d consider Herzlich for the middle. Kawika Mitchell did a decent job during the supper bowl run, but he was slow then so I’d hate to watch him running in place all season long.

9. jamesneuf says: Sep 6, 2011 4:54 PM

Unfair.

10. 7to10for6allday says: Sep 6, 2011 4:55 PM

Giants will suck!

11. sdelmonte says: Sep 6, 2011 4:58 PM

I thought it was bad to be a Mets fan the past few years, in terms of injuries.

Nope. I was wrong. It gets much, much worse.

12. hus10188 says: Sep 6, 2011 4:58 PM

This particular injury has decimated my team.

It’s safe to say there is nothing I despise more in football than a torn ACL. Damn!!!!!

13. carolinajimbo says: Sep 6, 2011 5:01 PM

Maybe Tiki can play defense?

14. scudbot says: Sep 6, 2011 5:02 PM

There have been so many ACL injuries this year already and the season hasn’t started. Has to be related to the lockout.

15. americankris says: Sep 6, 2011 5:02 PM

Fewell is working the defensive to hard

16. orakpownd says: Sep 6, 2011 5:04 PM

(Salivating)

17. weweresafe says: Sep 6, 2011 5:05 PM

18. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 6, 2011 5:05 PM

And all the losers keep blaming it on luck… wake up. Give all the thumbs down you want. Something needs to change.

19. broncobeta says: Sep 6, 2011 5:06 PM

bluefan204 says:
    Sep 6, 2011 4:50 PM

Totally at a loss for words.
    —————————————-

Bluefan… the username describes the emotion rather than the team’s color.

20. Patriot42 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:06 PM

The Giant fans just don’t get it, the Jets are favored by the football gods and are taking them out until they don’t have any players to compete.

21. rajbais says: Sep 6, 2011 5:06 PM

Hello Lofa Tatupu!!!

22. Kaz says: Sep 6, 2011 5:06 PM

Maybe they need to take a look at the weight training staff…

23. cured76 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:10 PM

Giants are snakebit so far. It’s a real shame, even though they are a rival. Most of the injuries are ACLs, too, ouch. Sorry, Giants fans :(

24. casamato21 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:10 PM

25. youdownwithjpp says: Sep 6, 2011 5:10 PM

sdelmonte says: Sep 6, 2011 4:58 PM

I thought it was bad to be a Mets fan the past few years, in terms of injuries.

Nope. I was wrong. It gets much, much worse.
    =====================================
    Now imagine my position as a Mets and Giants fan lol.

26. youdownwithjpp says: Sep 6, 2011 5:11 PM

sdelmonte says: Sep 6, 2011 4:58 PM

I thought it was bad to be a Mets fan the past few years, in terms of injuries.

Nope. I was wrong. It gets much, much worse.
    =====================================

Now imagine my position as a Mets and Giants fan lol.

27. pilot2011 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:18 PM

I don’t know much about the Giants, so NY fans help me out…

Carolina has Dan Connor sittin behind Jon Beason, and that will never, ever, change…But, Connor is a capable starter in this league.

G-Men have any DT’s or CB’s worth trading to the Panthers for an awesome middle linebacker?

28. tampajoey says: Sep 6, 2011 5:18 PM

Eli Manning will throw even more than 25 interceptions this year with the Giants playing catchup from always being behind in games.

I can’t wait to watch elite Eli squirm!

29. gcsuk says: Sep 6, 2011 5:25 PM

7to10for6allday says: Sep 6, 2011 4:55 PM

Giants will suck!
    ———————————————————————-
    Glad to see the Eagles fan cheering for another Giant injury. Please don’t rail against us if we cheer when we see Vick and/or Jackson carted off with a season ender at some point.

Heck, cheer? I’d be laughing my ass off. Stick it, 7to10.

30. youalldrinkhaterade says: Sep 6, 2011 5:27 PM

The Giants will still beat the Redskins…and I’m an Eagles fan…

31. gcsuk says: Sep 6, 2011 5:27 PM

casamato21 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:10 PM

———————————————————————–
    Another typical scumbag Eagle fan. I now officially can’t wait till Vick and Jackson have a career-ending injury. Break out the #7 and #10 voodoo dolls.

32. hawkman84 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:36 PM

Hey NY,

Doesn’t feel good, does it?

Yeah, I know…

Yeah, yeah yeah…and before you all throw back all the old stale cliche “no one even thinks about Seattle” “who the hell cares about Seattle” “where the hell is Seattle anyway” “we blew you guys out the last 2 times we played you” “7-9, 7-9″ lame comments as you absentmindedly rush to your nearest Starbucks the very next morning, standing in line as you constantly check the clock hoping you’ll make it to work on time, just think about all that East Coast bias you and NY media market constantly spew out.

Cuz I’m pretty sure you all were the same ones laughing it up back then.

Call it East coast Karma!

Sip on that on your next gulp of Pike Place Roast!

Good luck in that NFC East.

33. connorchew says: Sep 6, 2011 5:37 PM

spokem from an eagles fan.. the skins will still get wrecked

34. bunjy96 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:37 PM

Typical NY whiners.

Look at last year when some teams lost about a dozen or more to injuries. Didn’t hear them whining. A couple of them had decent seasons.

Wait till it happens to Jets. You ain’t really heard whining.

35. gcsuk says: Sep 6, 2011 5:40 PM

pilot2011 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:18 PM

I don’t know much about the Giants, so NY fans help me out…

————————————————————————
    Nope. Giants have been hit worse at CB, lost 3 (and counting) for the year so far. As far as DT, lost Cofield to FA and Marvin Austin to a torn Pectoral. We DO have a diva DE who wants a new contract (and who just had his knee scoped) available. How about him?

36. east96st says: Sep 6, 2011 5:41 PM

casamato21 says: “Keep them coming.. Next 1 that needs to go down is Justin tuck!! I hate the friggin giants.. Go birds!!!”

For the few normal and rational Eagles fans, this is why your fanbase is despised throughout the nation and voted the worse in the country. For every one “hey, it’s just a game, I don’t want anyone to get hurt” Eagles fan, there are twenty “next 1 that needs to go down is Justin Tuck”. Honestly, one of the best schools in the nation with U of Penn right in Philly and these are the kind of dregs you guys parade out every Sunday.

37. gcsuk says: Sep 6, 2011 5:52 PM

bunjy96 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:37 PM

Typical NY whiners.

Wait till it happens to Jets. You ain’t really heard whining.
    ————————————————————————
    Everyone talks about how many games the Packers starters lost last year. Total of 91 games they lost. So far, the Giants have lost 34 games to starters (2 out for season, Osi will miss at least 2 games), and 5 players who were immediate back-ups are now gone for the season. Included in the loss are the Giants first 2 draft picks this year. I would say the Giants are WELL on their way to breaking that Packers mark.

And I don’t hear the team “whining”. It’s us fans that are bitching and moaning. You would be bitching if it was your team, and don’t bother denying it.

38. bhindenemylines says: Sep 6, 2011 5:53 PM

Can Tiki play MLB???

39. gcsuk says: Sep 6, 2011 5:56 PM

hawkman84 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:36 PM

Hey NY,

Doesn’t feel good, does it?

Yeah, I know…

Cuz I’m pretty sure you all were the same ones laughing it up back then.

Call it East coast Karma!

Sip on that on your next gulp of Pike Place Roast!

Good luck in that NFC East.
    ———————————————————————
    Who asked you, anyway?

Try not to choke on all that bile and hatred that you’re washing down with your Starbucks, OK?

40. RussianBreadMaker says: Sep 6, 2011 6:02 PM

All these injuries are disappointing, I want to see the Skins beat them while they are at their best. Then again, the Skins did lose their 2nd round draft pick for the year.

41. clavette says: Sep 6, 2011 6:05 PM

dan conner never should have made it past the giants in the draft a few years ago, for that matter neither should james laurenitis.

this injury hurts more than TT in my opinion. goff like TT was ready for a break out season in line to get a huge paycheck.

i would LOVE lofa coming to the giants. im luke warm about kawika just cause hes really not that good anymore but he will always be a giant after that super bowl

jones/herlich, 1 will be the starter by november

42. philly2boston says: Sep 6, 2011 6:07 PM

As a philly fan I have no love for anything New York sports related.. but being the week that is I would like to extend the olive branch. Jon Goff is a good player that I respect.. Have a quick recovery.. I hope that I see you getting pushed around by an Eagles G ASAP. In a much more important aspect.. I wanna wish the Great American city of New York best wishes this weekend. It will be filled with emotion and my hope.. American unity.

43. hawkman84 says: Sep 6, 2011 6:08 PM

@gcsuk:

I don’t drink Starbucks, homie.

You must be one of the those people in line in the morning!

Hahaaaaaa!

44. gcsuk says: Sep 6, 2011 6:27 PM

hawkman84 says: Sep 6, 2011 6:08 PM

@gcsuk:

I don’t drink Starbucks, homie.

You must be one of the those people in line in the morning!

Hahaaaaaa!
    ———————————————————————–
    I’m not your “homie” scumbag, and I don’t drink your homebrew swill, either.

45. normthegreycat says: Sep 6, 2011 6:28 PM

This is exposing Reese…. The Giants, who are historically a team rich in LB history, have no depth at linebacker.
    Hopefully he will hold himself/be held accountable for this and not try to pass the blame..

46. wferg1121 says: Sep 6, 2011 6:31 PM

Giants IR totals
    2011 11 and counting
    2010 12
    2009 11

hawkman84 says:
    Sep 6, 2011 5:36 PM
    Hey NY,

“Remember a few years ago when this injury plague hit Seattle the same way it’s hitting u guys right now?”
    Nope don’t remember. I do remember how sucessful Pete Caroll was in NY and how he helped USC.. I am sure Seattle will get a football team real soon.

47. pnut87 says: Sep 6, 2011 6:33 PM

Holy…. He was starting to look good too. Herzlich, Let’s see what you got man. I know you have it in you.

48. zeussuperman says: Sep 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Yikes! Back again for my weekly condolences to Giants fans for another season-ending injury.

Players getting hurt is never funny, but there is always a small, selfish part of yourself that thinks “Well, it weakens a rival, so there’s a silver lining…”

Even that part of me can’t feel good anymore. I’m disappointed FOR you guys.

On the bright side, you could lose the rest of your defense and still be better than the LOLskins.

49. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Sep 6, 2011 6:35 PM

wow! i’m shocked at the bad luck the g-men keep having. i keep trying to tell myself that we can still keep it together but man it’s getting harder to keep a positive attidude.
    GO BLUE!!!!

50. balzosteel says: Sep 6, 2011 7:00 PM

You idiot “Coasties” going back and forth on your Iggles, G-Men and Redskins is hilarious to me. Meanwhile, not all too far away is a team that makes no excuses for the injuries they’ve faced…..that fills the stands regardless of weather or record……that has more World titles than the Eagles, Vikings, Texans, Chiefs, Jaguars, Patriots, Ravens, Bucs, Jets, Seahawks… Panthers, Titans, Bengals, Saints and Falcons COMBINED!! Your defending Super Bowl XLV Champion…Green Bay Packers.

51. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:24 PM

We’ll be fine. Jones and Herzlich have a lot to prove. Glad we cut Dillard, he wasn’t doing anything other than special teams anyway.

Mitchell will at least be able to shore up that weak side. No more injuries though, we have no depth at any position on defense, even on the line.

Perry was gonna run a lot of nickel and 5 DB sets, anyway, meaning there would only be 2 true LBs on the field about 1/3 of the time. Grant’s playing time will be increased even more than originally intended. Good thing we brought him back.

52. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:26 PM

balzosteel says: Sep 6, 2011 7:00 PM

———–

Giants fans have no problems with Packers fans. Don’t start. With a Super Bowl in hand and a healthy team, you’d think you’d be quiet. The minute fans of a team start to gloat, things start to happen like this. Just be quiet and hope your guys can stay healthy. Good luck to Green Bay from this Giants fan.

53. jredshoes says: Sep 6, 2011 7:26 PM

Should be Green Butt Packers if you ask me

54. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:27 PM

zeussuperman says: Sep 6, 2011 6:34 PM

Even that part of me can’t feel good anymore. I’m disappointed FOR you guys.

———————-

You could have kept that to yourself. And “weakening” a rival just shows how much of a loser mentality you Eagle hag fans have.

55. jakek2 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:37 PM

Packers’ fans should be forever in debt to the Giants for knocking them out in 2007 and ushering in the Rodgers era.

56. david7590 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:43 PM

balzosteel says:
    Sep 6, 2011 7:00 PM
    —————————————–

57. udwnwitjpp says: Sep 6, 2011 7:52 PM

Greg jones will do fine he gunna bring wat goff brought his first year starting

58. sadskinsfan89 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:56 PM

Skins will start season 1-0. This giants team is a wreck.

59. mjtn says: Sep 6, 2011 8:29 PM

Every team has to deal with some injuries throughout the season. But I cannot recall any team suffering this many losses before they have even played their first regular season game. I have no love for the Giants, but I do have sympathy…

60. jpietrefesa says: Sep 6, 2011 8:47 PM

If the Giants had back luck it would be better than what they got right now.

Kawika Mitchell? Ehhhh. Sigh.

61. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 9:23 PM

Mitchell is okay outside, as long as there is a safety shadowing. And given that Grant will play more and Kenny will be free more this year, it won’t be too bad. But Mitchell isn’t going to be playing every day anyway, so that’s not a big deal.

62. jayaredee says: Sep 6, 2011 9:54 PM

No Matter who you root for or what team that you might hate, whoever roots for an athlete to get injured from any team is an idiot. Never hope anybody gets hurt. THATS JUST DUMB.

63. zeussuperman says: Sep 6, 2011 10:24 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:27 PM

zeussuperman says: Sep 6, 2011 6:34 PM

———————————————

—————————————

Says the guy who routinely gets on Eagles thread and trolls the Birds.

I don’t hope any more Giants get hurt, but I would laugh pretty hard if you fell down and broke something during your GTL time or whatever it is you greasy, Jersey Shore rejects do in your free time.

64. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 10:34 PM

Says the guy who routinely gets on Eagles thread and trolls the Birds.

———

Damn right I do, but I NEVER wish injury on anyone nor make light when someone does get injured. That’s where I draw the line. Keep my name out of your mouth unless you’re talking about something truthful.

65. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 6, 2011 10:35 PM

Says the guy who routinely gets on Eagles thread and trolls the Birds.

———

Damn right I do, but I NEVER wish injury on anyone nor make light when someone does get injured. That’s where I draw the line. Keep my name out of your mouth unless you’re talking about something of substance/truthful.

66. punkymagee says: Sep 7, 2011 1:20 PM

“His roster spot is expected to be taken by former Giant Kawika Mitchell.”

I think you mean former Chief Kawika Mitchell. And yes, we wish we had him back. lol

Sorry about the luck, Giants fans. Maybe you’ll get all the injuries out of the way early this season.

67. balzosteel says: Sep 7, 2011 7:37 PM

david7590 says:
    Sep 6, 2011 7:43 PM
    balzosteel says:
    Sep 6, 2011 7:00 PM
    —————————————–

You’re an idiot. Those teams combine for same amount of titles and three of those team are less than twenty years old, all but the Eagles are less than 51 years old, not 91 years old like the Packers. 13 titles in 91 years is NOT very impressive.
    —————————————–

Eagles 4 + Chiefs 1 + Patriots 3 + Ravens 1 + Bucs 1 + Jets 1 + Saints 1 =12

Last I checked 13 > 12, idiot. But thanks for trying to prove a point….you almost did.