Lance Moore misses practice, shaky for opener

New Orleans Saints v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

We know the Saints defense won’t be at full strength in Week One with defensive end Will Smith suspended.

The offense may be down a key player as well. Lance Moore missed the team portion of practice for a second straight day Tuesday and his status for Thursday’s game against Green Bay looks very much in doubt.

Moore was second on the team in catches and receiving yards last year. Moore appears to be headed for an even bigger role after getting re-signed to a surprisingly large contract.  New Orleans is mostly healthy otherwise, although kicker Garrett Hartley will miss the game.

The Packers will be without linebacker Vic So’oto, who hurt his back in the weight room this week according to coach Mike McCarthy.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Lance Moore misses practice, shaky for opener”
  1. mdd913 says: Sep 6, 2011 2:48 PM

If Moore could stay healthy people would mention him in the same breath as Welker. He’s that good.

2. medtxpack says: Sep 6, 2011 2:54 PM

Pack is Back!

3. talkintrashallday says: Sep 6, 2011 2:56 PM

Who cares about Lance Moore?? How long before Manning gets on the field.

4. crabboil says: Sep 6, 2011 2:59 PM

Aw nuts. Lance has great hands and is typically money on third downs.

5. jimmygrahamchrisivory says: Sep 6, 2011 3:09 PM

More catches for Jimmy Graham, the better!!

6. mjs2012 says: Sep 6, 2011 3:19 PM

that sucks that So’oto will be out for the Pack. i was looking forward to his debut.

i think Woodson should shadow Graham. Williams and Shields should hold up fine against Colston and Meachem/Henderson.

7. mdd913 says: Sep 6, 2011 3:27 PM

————————————————————–

Someone is going to get theirs. GB’s nickel and dime corners are no match for Henderson and Meachem.

Having said that I expect the Saints will go with a lot of jumbo packages and pound the rock with some zip screens to Sproles and Thomas.

8. goawayeverybody says: Sep 6, 2011 3:27 PM

Any word on Frank Zombo?

9. cantonbound13 says: Sep 6, 2011 3:35 PM

Play Meachem instead!!! I need a 3rd receiver on my fantasy team.

10. axespray says: Sep 6, 2011 3:37 PM

so this means we’ll have Finley and Cobb for the opener then?

11. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 6, 2011 3:55 PM

He probably won’t play at this point. Too bad for the Saints, he’s the best route runner on the team.

12. mjs2012 says: Sep 6, 2011 4:01 PM

lol at the comment that GB’s Nickel and Dime is no match for Henderson and Meachem. one of them will have Shields on them, the other will be clouded by Nick Collins.

13. mdd913 says: Sep 6, 2011 5:35 PM

—————————————————————–

LOL at your overconfidence.

There’s a reason the Saints have had the #1 offense in the league for like 4 of the last 6 years.

Henderson and Meachem have both beaten better DB’s than Sam Shields, I can promise you.

14. jrmbadger says: Sep 6, 2011 6:31 PM

mdd913 says:
    Sep 6, 2011 5:35 PM

—————————————————————–

LOL at your overconfidence.

====
    LOL at YOUR overconfidence and your lack of football knowledge outside of the Saints. The Packers secondary is top 2 in the league with Tramon Williams, Charles Woodson, Sam Shields, Nick Collins and Morgan Burnett.

I’m pretty sure that combination wont have a lot of trouble with Colston, Henderson and Meachem.

To be honest with you the Saints best option is probably to try and establish a pounding ground game and then branch off into play-action through the air. I still have my doubts about the Packer D against the run.

Additionally, on the flip side, you wanna talk about the NO secondary for a bit? I’d be plenty worried if I were you about how your secondary is gonna cover Driver, Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb and Finley especially when GB goes 5 wide or 4 wide with Finley split out wide. Especially if GB goes no huddle.

15. scomibord says: Sep 6, 2011 6:55 PM

_______________

Let’s wait until Thurs nite, Oh Yeah….Who Dat!

16. mdd913 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:44 PM

—————————————————

Oh noes! Now he’s attacked my “football knowledge.”

You can claim the Packers secondary to be “top 2 in the league” but last year they weren’t number 2. They were number 5.

Guess who was number 4?

17. mdd913 says: Sep 6, 2011 7:54 PM

—————————————————–

And if I were you I’d be plenty worried about how your DB’s are going to match up with Colston, Graham, Meachem, Henderson and David Thomas with Sproles and Pierre catching screens from the backfield. Especially with Ingram and Pierre punishing your front line. Especially if Brees has his typical early-season pinpoint accuracy.

See how easy this is? I could go on all day!

18. woodyg says: Sep 7, 2011 5:31 AM

mdd913 says:
    Sep 6, 2011 7:44 PM

Guess who was number 4?

___________

My guess is that it’s the same secondary that gave up four TD passes in round 1 of the 2010 playoffs in a losing effort …… Am I close?

19. mdd913 says: Sep 7, 2011 7:45 AM

——————————————————

Not really considering 3 of the 4 starters were out. But this hate is all very refreshing.