Colts owner: Peyton Manning will be out “awhile”

J. Irsayoutof car Getty Images

The news about Peyton Manning’s injury is going to get worse before it gets better.

The latest from Colts information director/owner Jim Irsay, via Twitter:

“NFL Season opens 2nite!We had a good practice yesterday and r guys r fired up 4 the season.#18’s out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE,” Irsay wrote.

That followed up a tweet on Wednesday night from Irsay that said  Manning hasn’t had another surgery, and that the Colts would add information and clarity to the situation soon.

This much is clear: Manning’s injury is not going to be a one or two week problem. This is going to take “awhile.”

Permalink 62 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
62 Responses to “Colts owner: Peyton Manning will be out “awhile””
  1. eagleswin says: Sep 8, 2011 9:23 AM

Things have just about come full circle since the Indy radio station said that Manning had another neck surgery and the team denied it.

The next tweet will most likely be about Manning having another surgery, followed by Peter King explaining how they just now decided on the surgery and that the earlier report still has no basis.

2. j0esixpack says: Sep 8, 2011 9:24 AM

Since Polian prides himself on being such a good GM I’m sure they’ll easily surpass the 11-5 record of the Patriots without Brady.

3. dolphindad says: Sep 8, 2011 9:27 AM

i believe too. i believe your season is over and you are going back to the the 1-15 team you were before Peyton got there. hope you enjoyed the sweet days Indy fans, cause they are over. take it from me, I know. been there since Marino left.

4. rayvens says: Sep 8, 2011 9:29 AM

.#18′s out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE,” Irsay wrote.
    ——————————–
    Try again…without Manning the colts are .500 at best.

5. ny82jy says: Sep 8, 2011 9:29 AM

I have a feeling he will miss at least half the season. The way they are handling this by being so hush hush makes me think so. It would crush their entire fanbase and team if they came out now and said hes done for the year. I still think the colts with collins still will have a decent chance at winning the division. The Jags just threw the towel in on the season, Houston will be pretty good i think and i dont think Tennessee is going to be that great. If Manning doesnt play it will be a good tight race in the South.

6. rsxfan says: Sep 8, 2011 9:29 AM

joesixpack,

Now that you mention it, it will be one more item to use as proof the Pats are and have always been better than the Colts.

Kind of unintentionally funny now that I think of it.

7. cletusvandam says: Sep 8, 2011 9:30 AM

At least Manning has a huge pile of cash to roll around in

8. liltifer says: Sep 8, 2011 9:31 AM

Indy will be trying to do the same thing Miami has been doing for 10 years – find a replacement for a star QB.

Good luck. Mannings and Marinos don’t grow on trees.

9. belairirish says: Sep 8, 2011 9:31 AM

Stick a fork in the Colts. They’re done.

10. captainwisdom8888 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:35 AM

manning hasnt as much as thrown a ball yet. I agree with the consensus though. Im an Eagles fan, but I love watching Manning play. If you are a fan of the sport you are a fan of this guy by default. Its looking like there will be one less contender in the AFC this year

11. bigfranky75 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:43 AM

Phew….. Payton fell to the 9th round of my Fantasy Draft and I actually considered grabbing him given the possible quality payoff in that particular round (we can play multiple QBs in flex spots each week)…. glad I opted not to take him… Ryan Fitzpatrick was avail so I grabbed him instead….. sounds like I’ll be having Aaron Rogers and Fitzpatrick QBing my team and not a Manning. WIN.

12. elotrain says: Sep 8, 2011 9:44 AM

This makes the Jags look even more stupid. Good chance to win the AFC South for the first time and they release their starting QB and replace him with a Detmer brother… I mean McCown brother

13. gonzagylot00 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:45 AM

Well, there goes my fantasy season…

14. sippindasyzurp says: Sep 8, 2011 9:45 AM

Do they take Andrew Luck with the first pick and develop him under peyton?? I guess they could get a whole lotta other picks for the first overall… Should be an interesting draft next year…

15. bigfranky75 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:46 AM

Sort of surprised that the Colts arent all over David Garrard at this point. Just sayin.

16. patswhatsup says: Sep 8, 2011 9:51 AM

Matt Schaub should be careful doing those celebratory backflips!

17. joeg4343 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:51 AM

Looking forward to seeing how Gary Kubiak manages to fumble away the division title this time around…

18. tiffpats4eva says: Sep 8, 2011 9:52 AM

Since precious Peyton won’t play this season, won’t the NFL have to cancel 2011 in its entirety?

19. to147 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:53 AM

I’m kind of surprised they haven’t put him on the PUP list so they can get another player on the roster.

20. to147 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:54 AM

^ Might be indicative of some optimism that he’ll be able to come back prior to week 6?

21. crownofthehelmet says: Sep 8, 2011 9:55 AM

I’m not sure if I’m more disappointed that one of the best QBs in the league is out, or that a 50 yr old owner is twittering like a schoolgirl. Please stop the twitter madness, or in 10 years no one under the age of 30 will know how to spell the freakin word “are”.

22. all4patriots says: Sep 8, 2011 9:59 AM

to147:

He isn’t eligible for the PUP list, since he practiced (briefly) in the preseason. If he had not been activated from the preseason PUP list, he would then be eligible for the regular season PUP list.

Their choices are to put him on IR or to keep him on the 53-man roster

23. clavette says: Sep 8, 2011 9:59 AM

this is gonna turn into another saga like brett favre…

colts wont get to pick andrew luck, they will at least win more than the bills/bengals/redskins.

possibly combined? lol

24. football58 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:01 AM

What are the Colts going to do if they have the worst record and Andrew Luck is on the board? Probably can’t pay Manning and Luck huge cash.

25. kellyb9 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:03 AM

@j0esixpack – I’m not sure what I’d rather see as Patriots fan. If they succeed despite Manning being out people will say that they are a great team, and even worse, if the fail, than people will say Manning is the greatest QB to ever live. It should be interesting either way, but I imagine people will use this to either solidify Manning’s legacy or the Colt’s.

26. hotep999 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:04 AM

I need to favors,

1. Update Skip Bayless.
    2. Punch him in the face after he receives the update.

Thanks!

27. hotep999 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:04 AM

*two..

28. bleedsoe9mm says: Sep 8, 2011 10:09 AM

talk talk talk ! tweet out the MRI’s already

29. jpb12 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:15 AM

This guy is talking to Vega$ – not the fans

30. xx4zu1 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:16 AM

The issue with minimally invasive surgeries in the spinal area is just that, they are minimally invasive. As someone who has had neck and back problems I can attest to the fact that even the best doctors can miss something and have to go back in. I’ve had one surgery on my lower back and 9 months later a second on the same level because something was missed. The same issue with my neck but the second surgery was 3 months later. The minimally evasive neck operation eliminated pain but had a side effect of loss of sensation in my right arm. The concern is that the feeling may never come back. When the nerve is pinched it becomes overstimulated once the pressure is removed it needs time to recover and return to normal operation. This according to doctors at John Hopkins and the Rothman Institute can take up to two years and greatly depends on how long the nerve was pinched in the first place. I can only hope that Payton’s injury isn’t as severe as what I’ve encountered and his recovery is more accelerated. I know personally at times I can’t hold a drinking glass let alone throw a football. Good Luck Payton and put your and your family future before the game we all love. BTW I’m not a Colts fan but I am of a fan of all the men that put it on the line and as much as it pains me to say Payton is one of the greatest to do it.

31. ravensfan4life52 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:21 AM

i bet they still give him the MVP award at the end of the season

32. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 8, 2011 10:23 AM

hotep999 says:
    Sep 8, 2011 10:04 AM
    I need to favors,

1. Update Skip Bayless.
    2. Punch him in the face after he receives the update.

Thanks!

————————————————-

Is this really Hugh Douglass? Either way, I’d want to punch Skippy right in the suck hole myself.

33. gook1034 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:28 AM

as long as he’s out week two so the browns can make them 0-2!

34. balewsquare says: Sep 8, 2011 10:29 AM

Had my fantasy draft this past weekend…my friend’s computer messed up and he ended up getting Peyton at #1 overall! We all laughed at him of course, but that pick is looking worse and worse every day!

35. all4patriots says: Sep 8, 2011 10:37 AM

I remember Colts fans (along with Steeler fans and Jets fans) were extremely happy when Brady blew out a knee.

I’m not happy at all that Peyton is hurt.

Karma, however, has made an appearance.

36. bturner032002 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:38 AM

As crazy as it may sound, he should have been released and all that money from the big contract used to bring in ALOT of youth at all positions to get ready for a new QB and the future.

37. goawayeverybody says: Sep 8, 2011 10:43 AM

It’s okay Colts fans! He was overrated anyway and Kerry Collins will be just fine. The only thing you need to be worried about is if Manning is okay in time for the post-season. In that case, Manning will arrive just in time to throw a pick six and flush the playoff hopes of Colts’ fans down the toilet.

38. tiffpats4eva says: Sep 8, 2011 10:44 AM

sippindasyzurp says: Sep 8, 2011 9:45 AM
    ****

Are you kidding? Precious Peyton wouldn’t be comfortable with that kind of an arrangement. His ego is extremely fragile.

39. shallowfan says: Sep 8, 2011 10:53 AM

I don’t see how the colts compete for the division this year…

Too bad Jacksonville already flushed their season down the toilet with their stupid personnel moves just before the reg season and lame duck coach.

Tenn is a mess because of lockout and all the changes, don’t see them doing much.

Best bet for that division is hou…they have to be smiling about now…

40. nickster2k says: Sep 8, 2011 10:55 AM

j0esixpack says:
    Sep 8, 2011 9:24 AM

==========================

You mean the year the Patriots played the easiest schedule ever in the history of the NFL and still missed the playoffs while the DOLPHINS also posted an 11-5 record and won the division playing the same easy schedule? The 1 -15 Dolphins from the previous year who haven’t had a winning record since?

41. nickster2k says: Sep 8, 2011 10:58 AM

all4patriots says:
    Sep 8, 2011 10:37 AM

I’m not happy at all that Peyton is hurt.

Karma, however, has made an appearance.

==========================

You mean like how Bellichick illegally video taped Defensive signals and told Brady exactly what the defense would do on every play and greatly aided Brady’s ablity to develop and read defenses and then finally in 2008 Brady blew out his knee in the first game of the season. That kind of karma?

42. blackqbwhiterb says: Sep 8, 2011 10:58 AM

Personally, I think he’s never going to take another snap in the NFL, we just won’t be told that for a while

43. blackqbwhiterb says: Sep 8, 2011 10:59 AM

Of course, that’s just a hunch with zero proof or evidence to back it up…..like most stories you see here

44. tiffpats4eva says: Sep 8, 2011 10:59 AM

@nickster2k

Did you have a point?

45. serr8d says: Sep 8, 2011 11:02 AM

Hmmmph. In our AFC South division, Peyton (pbuh) Manning could miss 5 or 7 games, come back in and still win the damned thing. I say that as a Titans season-ticket holder who is facing looking at a disgruntled season of rebuilding from scratch.

Hell, we don’t even have a decent mustache on the team anymore. How are we going to get 3 wins?

46. gfan8611 says: Sep 8, 2011 11:16 AM

Do the right thing 18. Tear up that absurd contract they just gave you and sign yearly vet minimums until you retire. You know your on the downside of your career. Hey, it was a good run, you proved to be a better version of Dan Marino.

47. wikidpissah says: Sep 8, 2011 11:17 AM

@ nickster2k

“You mean like how”

“You mean the year the Patriots played the easiest schedule ever in the history of the NFL ”

Is English a second language for you?

Eleven and five is eleven and five; with a QB who hadn’t started a game since high school. Be careful talking about easy schedules while the Colts win their division 2 conference year after year.

If Polian is as good as he’s supposed to be, why have they paid Painter as a backup for multiple years, but when it’s time for him to step in they sign an out of work QB, not to back up Painter, but to start after 3 weeks with the team?

48. noodlecbs says: Sep 8, 2011 11:21 AM

Sad news, Peyton is HEAD and shoulders above the next best QB in the league. Haha had to go there, get well soon Thorton Melon Manning.

49. m2karateman says: Sep 8, 2011 11:34 AM

I think the Colts really need to start thinking seriously about life without Peyton. Manning has performed remarkably well, but is not immortal and with a neck issue that isn’t going away will likely never be the same again.

There is a whole bunch of money that this team is paying Manning that can be used to shore up other areas of concern come the start of the 2012 free agency period. Seriously, they need to consider cutting Peyton and moving on without his services. You can’t base the teams future on the hope that Manning will return to health. If he’s not healthy by seasons end, time to move on.

50. scudbot says: Sep 8, 2011 11:34 AM

One day it could be fun to read all the posts that get inexplicably censored.

51. cantarguefacts says: Sep 8, 2011 11:35 AM

This will show that the pats are a better team than the colts but it will also shed light and make people realize how vital manning is to the colts and that he his a better qb than brady. Brady doesnt have to do it himself. Manning almost always had to. Two best qb ‘s to play the game in a long time. Im glad I could grow up watching that rivalry. Get well soon peyton

52. kellyb9 says: Sep 8, 2011 11:43 AM

@nickster2k – I could make a point regarding the multiple accusations against the Colts illegally pumping sound into their stadium so that the opposing team’s offense couldn’t hear the QB’s cadence.

53. kellyb9 says: Sep 8, 2011 12:01 PM

@cantarguefacts – That’s debatable. Cassel took the Patriots, a team that almost went undefeated, to a non-playoff 11-5 season. Since then, Cassel has been more than serviceable for the Chiefs. Maybe, it just shines light on the fact that Cassel was a decent QB on a great team. I’d still love to see Peyton Manning do what Tom Brady did with Reche Caldwell as his number 1 reciever instead of hall of fame bound Marvin Harrison.

54. Henry says: Sep 8, 2011 12:09 PM

Just curious, how much of Manning’s contract is guaranteed??
    Don’t think they’ll be bringing any high-priced draft picks in next year……..

55. doe22us says: Sep 8, 2011 12:10 PM

gfan8611 says:
    Sep 8, 2011 11:16 AM

Downside of career 30 plus td’s the past couple of seasons right..

56. rcali says: Sep 8, 2011 12:10 PM

Has that new Peyton contract treating you Colts ownership?

57. indyff955 says: Sep 8, 2011 12:32 PM

Hey Manning hater Patriots fans…

Your precious Patriots have become immensely predictable. They will win 12+ games, get a first round bye, then they will get dominated/embarrassed at home in the playoffs like the past two years. It’s not 2004 anymore.

Texan fans…

Even without Peyton, Indy will be competitive in the division. Houston hype makes me laugh. They have been picking them to unseat the colts for three years now. Yet they have had one (1) winning season in franchise history. They celebrated like they won the superbowl last year when they beat Indy week one. Then went 5-10 after that. So they are clearly an all world team this year. Laughable!!

58. oldbyrd says: Sep 8, 2011 1:03 PM

Payton is one of the greatest football players ever. I hope he realizes that very bad things can come from returning to the game. A neck injury is forever. Even if it gets better, manageable, it will always be a danger of permanent injury. I don’t even want to suggest what else. Take this advise Payton, call it a career. their is more to life than football. Make sure you have one. God Bless a great person in Payton Manning.

59. wikidpissah says: Sep 8, 2011 1:10 PM

indyff955 says: Sep 8, 2011 12:32 PM

Hey Manning hater Patriots fans…

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Funny, with a one year exception, you just described the Colts for the past ten years.

The difference is while we remain fans, Patriots fans don’t consider the past two years a success. If we were like Colts fans we’d spend all our time rationalizing how it wasn’t Brady’s fault, or demanding rule changes.

BB has put the focus back on defense, so hopefully they’ll be less Colt-like this year.

60. catfish252 says: Sep 8, 2011 1:12 PM

Peyton:

I wish you a speedy recovery and I am hoping to see you back on the field real soon. That being said — Go Giants!

61. chefjayson says: Sep 8, 2011 1:17 PM

I’m tired of all the Fins fans acting like the Colts are like you. First off…we weren’t a 1-15 team before Peyton. We got him after and injury plagued 3-13 season. Something that MANY other teams mirror year after year without injuries. A couple years before then we went to the AFC Championship game against the Steelers. Led by Jim Harbaugh not Manning. A game that most of you will remember as the reason there is a coaches challenge now…since the receiver ran out of bounds, illegally catching their only td pass of the game. I would love to borrow the crystal ball some of you look through to say the Colts will get Luck next year with the worst record in football. The Colts just came off of “arguably” their best draft since Manning. Beefed the o-line. Beefed the running game. They’re ignorantly talented at receiver and everyone saw the damage Tamme can cause at TE. Add to that more depth at d-line both with draft, in Nevis who was very disruptive in preseason, and FA…along with some very talented UDFAs. Also keep in mind that Collins, though aging, is still very talented. Id say the Colts are in a better position that a lot of other teams. Why don’t we wait and see what the season holds before everyone writes Irsay’s and the Colts’ obituaries.

62. hairpie says: Sep 8, 2011 1:28 PM

nickster2k says:
    Sep 8, 2011 10:58 AM
    all4patriots says:
    Sep 8, 2011 10:37 AM

I’m not happy at all that Peyton is hurt.

Karma, however, has made an appearance.

==========================

————————————-

how exactly was Belichick able to tell Brady what was coming if the Offense has to be set before the defense and coach to qb communication is cut off at the 25 second mark?