Lance Briggs: I’ll get fined for wearing red, white and blue on 9/11

Bears linebacker Lance Briggs says he’s going to wear red, white and blue when he starts the season on September 11, and he won’t let the NFL’s uniform police stop him.

In a series of Twitter messages on Thursday, Briggs said he has received special red, white and blue cleats and gloves from Reebok, and he’s going to wear them on Sunday despite the NFL’s strict uniform rules that prohibit players from wearing colors of their choosing.

“For the anniversary of 9/11 game why is it if I wear shoes and gloves that are the colors of our nations flag..I will be fined by the league,” Briggs wrote. “Shaking my head . . . looks like I’m getting fined this week.”

Briggs pointed out that players can wear pink shoes and gloves in conjunction with the league’s breast cancer awareness efforts, and he doesn’t see why he shouldn’t be able to wear read, white and blue on a day that the NFL and the nation are recognizing the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Briggs indicated that he’ll violate the uniform rules and take the fine, writing, “By far the best fine I will ever have to pay.”

121 responses to “Lance Briggs: I’ll get fined for wearing red, white and blue on 9/11

1. We love ya Lance but lately you’re becoming a bit of a headcase. Just play football, ok? We’ve got Atlanta to think about… taking on the NFL’s uniform policy seems an unnecessary battle right now.
    GO BEARS!

2. Funny, for a guy begging for more money he doesn’t seem to mind throwing it away. Nice gesture and all, but he needs to shut up about his contract if he’s going to pull this stuff.

3. Awesome. If I was a player; I’d be getting fined too. Every player in the league should step up and get fined. I wonder what Goodell would think about that. More importantly; What would he DO about that?

4. NFL should make an exception that week. And also limit the pink shoes to one week, not one quarter of the season.

5. It’s too late now, but the league really missed on this one. Every team that plays on 9/11 should be wearing red,white, & blue spikes & gloves. They do pink for breast cancer awareness so why not red/white/blue for 9/11. Needless to say he should NOT be fined.

6. He hasn’t been fined correct? And nothing says he will be fined. They don’t fine them for wearing pink for breast cancer so I am sure that the NFL can agree that if they want to wear red, white and blue on 9/11 then the fines should not be levied.

Let’s wait to see what happens before stirring the pot.

7. Well the reason they do it is so you con’t use a unique uniform for a competitive advantage, not because Goodell hates America. So get off your high moral horse because this isn’t the purpose of the rule.

8. He won’t be alone…already saw Matt Hasselbeck’s sick kicks for Sunday.

I think the NFL may decide to pull their collective heads out and opt to not fine players on Sunday for uniform violations. If not, they will set a one-day record for fines. I hope they at least pick a 9/11-based charity to receive the funds from Sunday.

9. He has a very good point. If players can wear pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness then what’s wrong with wear our nation’s colors on the 10th anniversary of 9/11?

10. Goodell isn’t going to fine a player for wearing Red White & Blue on Sept. 11.

In fact, every NFL, MLB and US Open tennis player should be rocking the Stars and Stripes on Sunday.

11. Nice to see somebody coming out and doing it. Really surprised that somebody is Briggs, but still nice.

12. shut the f up, you ignorant twit.

isn’t there going to be enough jingoistic crap going on that weekend? why not just wear your regular uniform and donate your money to charity, if you feel the need to waste it.

13. That’s cool and all that he is doing this, but why the need to announce it? Seems like he is trying to make it more about drawing attention to himself then what the purpose of the gesture should truly be about.

14. Trying to get the fans back on his side because he has taken a beating here in Chicago.

If that were not it then he would have just worn the stuff and paid the fine without going public about it.

15. Hopefully more do it, and just are being quite about it. Good for him, Roger should be fined for not doing this.

16. Lance is spot on

I understand why the NFL has uniform rules in place, but sometimes the NFL lacks all sembelance of taste & decency. If he gets fined, this would be such an occassion

17. No wonder he has been asking for a new deal. He’s expecting to pay a fine for being a patriot. Atleast Ocho won’t get fined for doing the same.

18. Those cleats and gloves look wicked cool. The NFL does the pink stuff for an entire month for breast cancer. Why not have all players wear this stuff on opening day?

19. Right on Buffalohogan! /Maybe the NFL can get on board with that ASAP. The billionaire league can get this done in three days! God Bless America! Lance is the man this week…. Tell me where to send the some money if he gets fined. If every fan throws in a buck he will have enough to do it every week this year to remember the victims of 9/11

20. Really? Lance Briggs is being received as a great American and patriot because the best he can do is make red, white, and blue part of his uniform? Sports, sports, sports, our whole lives are just sports, what a joke…

21. Well the positive note is that some of the fines go to charity so if he does get fined will be for a good cause.

I do appreciate the patriotism that he’s trying to exhibit, but doesn’t come across as the smartest cookie in the world. He’s bitchin about how he wants a raise, (1/2 way through a 6 year deal for 36 million I might add) and now going to bitch about getting fined for something that’s 100% his choosing. Don’t think he’ll be anyone’s financial consultant!!

22. Good for Briggs and Charles!! On a day like 9/11, they SHOULD be allowed to wear our nation’s colors!!

23. Goodell and Co. are going way over the top with their regulations. I’m actually missing the days of the “No Fun League”. It’s become more of a Dictatorship because the popularity of football supersedes common sense.

24. Shut up Lance. Have you ever been over there?
    Google Lance Briggs USO Tour and you get bupkus. Oh there’s the stories of other coaches and players going overseas, on the same day Lancey was making news with his other mid-contract tantrum. Nice, real nice.

25. Would have been much more powerful as a surprise. In other words, just walk out on the field and let the announcers notice, let THEM talk about your fine etc. Then just quietly pay it without further comment.

Instead we get ‘LOOK AT ME! I’M A PATRIOT! EVERYONE GET READY FOR ME TO GIVE UP A TRIFLING TO ME SUM OF MONEY BECAUSE I LOVE AMERICA!’

Kind of sad really.

26. How about enlisting in the military, Mr Patriotism? Just drawing attention to himself. I hate these phoney patriots.

27. maybe ocho cinco will agree to pay the fine for u. but lance theres an easier solution that wont get u fined for wearing red white and blue just ask to be traded to the giants

28. Anyone who thinks he shouldn’t is just ate up with stupid. He apparently is proud to be an American. We would be much better off if more were proud. And to the idiot that said how is covering yourself in the flag and rolling around in mud comment its not the flag its our nations colors and more should take his approach being in the national spotlight. Get em Lance and Jamal

29. The only thing worse than him getting fined for this is everyone crying about it before any fine is even handed down.

Everyone just take a deep breath and enjoy the fact football season is finally here.

30. Fined? It should be mandatory for all players!!!

If the NFL dare fine him or any other player for this, I can imagine the revolt… fines won’t happen.

31. kremis says: Sep 8, 2011 9:32 PM

=================================

And what does that do for you?
    Do you really need a football player to wear special gloves or shoes to remember that day?
    It was not a good day and it is not something that should be “celebrated”
    Remembered yes but it does not need to be turned into another excuse to drink and BBQ like Memorial Day and the 4th of July have become.

32. Hey Massa Goodell, couldya pleeez allow us common foke playin’ futbawl to respect the almost 3,000 people that was innocently killed as a resut of Ronald Reagan’s failed policy to support the Taliban, which ends up supporting bin Laden, and also supported Saddam Hussein against Iran. If Ronald Reagan, the liar, was held to a standard of honesty 9/11 would not have happened. Also, if Bush read his mail, which told him about a month ahead that Al Qaeda was hoping to attack US mainland. Since we survived as a country please allow athletes to celebrate the fans, for once. Because they want to celebrate the people I totally love and respect American pro athletes. Here, let the men be men!!!!!

33. This guy wants to give us the shirt off his back, but wants to make sure everyone knows about it…. What a tool! I wish Dick Butkus would wander down to Halas Hall and give him a good kick in the sack!

34. Where do I send my donation to the “Fine Fund?” I like the Commissioner when others don’t – but he has no leg to stand on to fine this upstanding AMERICAN! Thank you for your dedication Mr. Briggs!

35. This is a gimme for the NFL. They should release a statement, tomorrow, stating that no players will be fined for wearing red, white, and blue gloes and cleats on Sunday or Monday. No-brainer.

36. WOW! I have so much respect for you! Some of these guys are so pathetic, Yes, I’m including you Briggs. Just do! Talking about it is ALL a PR move. You do something like this for the meaning of it. Stop doing it for attention and start doing it for the right reasons. Anybody worth anything would just do it without trying to get everybody to “LOOK AT ME!”.

37. profootballwalk says:
    Sep 8, 2011 10:09 PM
    ======================

So let me see if I have this straight:

The ONLY way to show patriotism is to join the military?

So every American who displays an American Flag on their lawn is also a “phoney patriot” because they didn’t enlist?

Or is that a standard you only apply to the professional athletes you loath?

38. Hey, you wanna show your patriotism? Go visit V. A. Hospitals … donate your time and money to veterans’ affairs, etc. Do something genuine. Don’t turn this into a big self-serving P.R. show in order to make yourself look like something you’re not. You’re just wearing some shoes and gloves, for Chrissake.

39. “…he doesn’t see why he shouldn’t be able to wear read, white and blue on a day that the NFL and the nation are recognizing the 10th anniversary of 9/11.”

you dummy. How can you spell a color wrong. it must be written on one of the crayons in the box you use.

40. Hey Lance. Here’s a thought for you…..

Instead of getting a set for yourself, how about you order a set for each of your teammates. Better yet, get 20 or so players from every team and order them each one, on your dime. Then get Reebok to donate the bill to a 9/11 charity. Keep your mouth shut, and after the game, when you or anyone else is asked about it, just tell the part where Reebok was giving the proceeds away. Eventually the fact that you footed the bill for all of it will come out. Now Reebok looks good, you look good, you get an endorsement deal from Reebok, and everybody thinks you are a great guy.

Instead, you order one for yourself and cry about the fine before it’s given, and now you look like…..something I won’t write because the moderators will pull my post.

Time for a new PR dude, Lance. I’ll do it, so long as you keep your mouth shut about everything but what happens on the field unless you clear it with me first. Because, quite frankly, I doubt you have the mental acumen to to beat out Jeffrey Dahmer in a popularity contest.

41. If players are seriously fined for this, Goodell needs to be fired on the spot (he should’ve been gone awhile ago, but this will be serious b.s.)

42. man..can some of you people allow an actual fine to happen before piling on Goodell. Many of you are speaking in past tense like it’s already occurred. Relax…they might not say anything at the league office especially multiple players participate.

Also enough with the hot air about pitching in for the fine. The guy probably makes about 100+ times the average salary of anyone here..and if you earn 100k+ then forgive me, only 50x your salary. Either way, he can afford the fine.

43. In general, I hate the bears and think that Briggs is an overrated tool, but yeah, I’ll chip in if he gets fined.

But then, if everyone wears it (and you know Reebok can make that happen) there will be no fines and a lot of prouder than usual football fans that day.

44. I don’t think there’s a good reason to fine these guys on 9/11 for this. The rest of the year outside of Breast Cancer Month, sure. It would be free advertising for every big name athlete to trot out onto the field with their own signature cleats and gloves in goofy colors if they didn’t have restrictions on that. Not to mention Ochocinco would have a constantly revolving selection of crap to wear if he could get away with it. I think this is a valid exception that should be made.

45. What an @$$. The pink shoes were authorized after a team owner brought the idea to the league and they approved it. I have little doubt that if Briggs had brought the idea to the commish, it would be approved. Briggs is just trying to revamp his career by scoring fan points being forced to pay a fine for something most of us support. What do you bet this was his agent’s idea, and the agent will be paying the fine? Wake up. Reebok or Briggs and his agent couldn’t think of this in time to put the idea forward in a way the league could stomach? With such a public rant, the commish will have to fine him now!

46. Get god back in the pledge of allegiance an it Briggs for pres! I don’t have the energy to properly attack those who r hatin on this but I’d be sayin it to an I hate the bears but obviously not just him but b proud scream it buddy f the haters! Btw judge not lest ye be judged! Also let those without sin cast the first stone! Join the military go on USO tour quit telling him an u do it! What I’m a fake patriot bcuz I’m not in military f u

47. “njdevil7 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:14 PM

Well the reason they do it is so you con’t use a unique uniform for a competitive advantage, not because Goodell hates America. So get off your high moral horse because this isn’t the purpose of the rule.”

Feel free to exchange your Goodell Fan Club pass for a Good’old American Flag! Its the one that is RED WHITE AND BLUE in case you “con’t” figure out what Briggs is trying to represent.

I remember where I was on September 11th and anyone that wants to support our country in honor of everyone that died that day can do it how ever they please.

48. oh fxxking c`mon….stop bashing the dude. i think all of us, dems and repubs, can get behind him on this one. good for you briggs.

49. But he’ll be able to wear pink all October long.
    —————————

That’s the first thing I thought. But the league has been on uniform policy for a long time now. I think of when they made a big deal about Clinton Portis and Sean Taylor wearing different socks and Chad’s gold shoes. But this should be expected and accepted for 9/11.

50. I can’t work out if he’s doing this because he feels passionately about it or because he wants a cheap PR boost after acting like a tool for most of his adult life. If he was that passionate, I think he’s just do it.

I wouldn’t bet against him not even going through with it and citing financial reasons.

I would bet, however, that many Bears fans wish he’s gone to the 49ers 3 years ago!!!

51. Personally I think it’s a little over the top, but I also think Briggs has the right to “say it” as he wants to.

My question. Are these shoes/gloves for sale via Reebok? Are you selling the game worn stuff for big money? If these is just a way to pimp your shoe company then honestly, you can eff right off and I hope they fine you till it hurts.

52. If Goodell fines these players for wearing Red, White and Blue on 9/11, ten years later, he needs to have his head examined.

Everyone who’s watched Goodell over the years knows his ego is out of control. But this? This is the same NFL that had the players wear pink shoes for breast cancer awareness. If Goodell doesn’t support the players on this, it will leave no doubt about how he views himself. Hell, Brad Childress wasn’t this much of a control freak.

This is as dumb as Mayor Bloomberg prohibiting religious clergy from the 9/11 ceremony. I really am starting to think Goodell and Bloomberg are spending too much time together.

53. Excellent gesture. If the NFL fines him, GODell will AGAIN look like a complete fool. The NFL should have had all players do this in the first place, they blew the chance to make a patriotic statement. I hope many other players do the exact same thing.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

54. while he’s at it, he can put Halliburton, C.A.C.I., Titan, Raytheon, Exxon and KBR. The contractors that raked billions off the war that 9/11 caused.

And yeah, it’s a cheap PR boost after that idiotic trade demand. (just so we keep it on football).

55. guvsta says:
    Sep 9, 2011 7:04 AM

_______________________________

This is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.
    He may have become a bit annoying in the last few weeks with all his public yapping, but he’s never been anything less than a BEAST on the field, and I have yet to hear a single fellow Bears fan say anything other than “THANK GOD Briggs never went to S.F.”

56. Hey Lance, nice way to distract the meatball fans from the fact you are acting like a total D-Bag regarding your contract. PFT Planet, don’t think for a minute this is about Country. This about Lance doing damage control on his selfish, greedy, lambo crashing, image.

57. The NFL: Distracting us from the important things in life and pumping us up with empty patriotic gestures since 2001.

…because something just isn’t meaningful unless the NFL acknowledges it.

Or does the acknowledgement, and the appropriation of gravity from something that actually has gravity, help put aside the nagging feeling that pro football is completely meaningless?

58. I will help pay the fine. 🙂

I think that the players playing on 9/11 should wear red white and blue since they wear pink for breast cancer awareness in October. Why didn’t the league think of this?

I know some may think it’s self serving or superficial, I think that it’s great. Maybe it’ll keep 9/11 in the minds of everyone who doesn’t live in NYC and see the Freedom Tower’s construction on what devastation we endured that day.

Good for you, Briggs. Now, stop being a crier about your contract.

59. Roger Goodell would be wise to lift the NFL’s uniform rule on such items as gloves/shoes for this weekend considering the situation. It would not make him a well-like man if he didn’t. I believe players won’t get fined if they honor the anniversary of 9/11 in that manner.