Marion Barber likely out for Sunday

Marion Barber, Jairus Byrd AP

The Bears changed up their running back rotation this offseason when they signed Marion Barber and dumped Chester Taylor, but it looks like they’ll need to wait at least one more week for a look at Matt Forte’s running mate.

According to Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune, Barber will miss Sunday’s opener against the Falcons with a calf injury suffered in the team’s third preseason game. Barber drew a lot of praise from Mike Martz during the preseason, an indication that the offensive coordinator would find ways to use both of his tailbacks in games.

If Barber does miss the game, the Bears will be without an experienced option to match with Forte. Kahlil Bell, who had no carries last season, would step into Barber’s spot, but it is hard to imagine the Bears would go to him as willingly as they would Barber.

Forte might actually appreciate the chance for an increased workload. With contract talks stalled, any chance he gets to put up big numbers will help him win more hearts and minds toward his belief that he should get what he wants from the Bears in a long-term deal. That runs counter to the path Taylor took to big money from the Bears, but after the way that went you’d imagine Chicago would try something different this time around.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears, Home, Injuries, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors
6 Responses to “Marion Barber likely out for Sunday”
  1. zamco17 says: Sep 8, 2011 8:33 AM

He’s all yours Chicago, be ready for dissapointment. Signed a Dallas fan.

2. talkintrashallday says: Sep 8, 2011 9:12 AM

Tiki Barber – “Now’s my chance!!”

3. brennankm46 says: Sep 8, 2011 9:16 AM

zamco17 says:
    Sep 8, 2011 8:33 AM
    “He’s all yours Chicago, be ready for dissapointment. Signed a Dallas fan.”

I don’t know if I can ever prepare my self for the type of disappointment you feel on a regular basis.
    Signed, the Rest of the League’s Fans.

4. Land Snark says: Sep 8, 2011 9:18 AM

Hard to see why Dallas cut him. He’s a machine.

If only…then they could replace the broken parts.

5. eaglesblow says: Sep 8, 2011 9:55 AM

Signed, the Rest of the League’s Fans.

==================

It’s not like they are the Jags, Cardinals, Redskins or any other team that hasn’t won a championship for every decade of existence and amassed a win/loss record that is second only to the Bears.

6. medialovesthecowboys says: Sep 8, 2011 12:36 PM

Signed, the Rest of the League’s Fans.

==================

—————————————————
    Yeah, really. I mean I’m a Cowboys fan and I’ll tell you, when they lost in the Divisional playoff game against Minny (2009) I was super mad. But in reality they finished two games short of the Super Bowl. Cowboys fans are routinely disappointed, because we expect Championships.