Your weekly blackout update

Seahawks AP

A bunch of blackout news came out at the same time Thursday.  Which is good, because it’s really not that interesting and now we can combine it all into one post.

1. Bucs-Lions are officially blacked out in Tampa.  That’s no surprise; all of last season’s Bucs games were blacked out.

2. The Rams officially avoided a blackout on Thursday. It’s a little surprising they struggled to get to the finish line considering it’s the season opener against Michael Vick.

3. The Chargers opener against Minnesota will be aired in San Diego.

4. Dolphins-Patriots in Miami was officially declared a sellout.  Again, it’s remarkable a Monday night opener against New England took so long to sell.

5. Cardinals-Panthers in Arizona was officially announced a sellout.

6. The Jaguars got a 24-hour extension to sell more tickets.  4,000 seats remain.  Usually a team is prepared to find some way to buy up the tickets if they get an extension.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Minnesota Vikings, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
37 Responses to “Your weekly blackout update”
  1. david7590 says: Sep 8, 2011 5:43 PM

The Bucs have not had a home game air in Tampa since 2009. Thats just sad.

2. dude317 says: Sep 8, 2011 5:56 PM

Given the unemployment situation in the Tampa area, not surprised they are blacked out.

3. bradygazelle says: Sep 8, 2011 6:01 PM

At $9 per ticket Jacksonville only needs to come up with $36,000 so I’m sure they will get them sold to somebody.

4. nineroutsider says: Sep 8, 2011 6:06 PM

The Jags can use the money saved with the Garrard releasing to buy up tickets all season long and they will need it.

5. robigd says: Sep 8, 2011 6:09 PM

The Bucs blackout and it is an economy issue. The Jags blackout, and they have the worst fans in the world and are moving to LA. It’s not like they are in the same state or anything, and could possibly share the same economic issues.

6. hux308 says: Sep 8, 2011 6:13 PM

you guys should provide a weekly broadcast map

7. trbowman says: Sep 8, 2011 6:16 PM

Sad the Bucs can’t sell out.

8. NoHomeTeam says: Sep 8, 2011 6:17 PM

Those St. Louis fans are terrible.
    That team gets no support there at all.
    It’s not a surprise that the city failed with the NFL once before.
    They don’t deserve a team.
    How many teams does Missouri need?

9. discosucs2005 says: Sep 8, 2011 6:23 PM

Why are the 49ers tagged in this post?

10. bucsfan5000 says: Sep 8, 2011 6:36 PM

Lee Roy Selmon is spinning in his grave that the game is blacked out.

11. fhuizar says: Sep 8, 2011 6:36 PM

Why is Arizona on this list? They usually sell out.

12. egetto says: Sep 8, 2011 6:58 PM

So funny that the Jags are in the best shape on here, but bradygazelle and the small fat trolls still come with same cool taglines. Did you morons hear there was a lockout?

Your opinion really bothers us (meaning the 63K of us that will be in the stadium sunday) that you think we are bad fans. which by the way, is in the middle of the pack in NFL attendance, even for one of the smallest markets in the NFL.

Blah blah blah tarps, blah blah move to LA, blah blah blah.

13. bluefan204 says: Sep 8, 2011 7:11 PM

Tampa fans at their finest. They all magically have money for tickets when the playoffs start, and that goes across the board for all three major sports in the area. For now, they’ll be content to sit back and blame the Glazers, and the economy.

14. emma333 says: Sep 8, 2011 7:22 PM

Game in Tampa shouldn’t be blacked out in honor of Lee Roy Selmon( c’mon NFL)…This coming from a Jags fan in Jacksonville.

15. bucsfan5000 says: Sep 8, 2011 7:39 PM

If the Bucs make the playoffs, they’ll probably get one of the last wild card spots, so they’ll have to go on the road. But the Rays and Lightning are able to sell out playoff games.

16. jutts says: Sep 8, 2011 7:54 PM

L.A. Bucs?

17. samtheram says: Sep 8, 2011 8:13 PM

Vick don’t matter, Sam’s going to fill the stadium along with Spags D, winning cures all.

18. schmitty2 says: Sep 8, 2011 8:38 PM

NoHomeTeam says:
    Sep 8, 2011 6:17 PM

Those St. Louis fans are terrible.
    That team gets no support there at all.
    It’s not a surprise that the city failed with the NFL once before.
    They don’t deserve a team.
    How many teams does Missouri need?

Nice try at a dig at the Rams. If your trying to defend the Chiefs as the only needed in Missouri then try telling me who has a more recent Super Bowl banner hanging there Dope

19. dogsweat1 says: Sep 8, 2011 8:39 PM

In honor of promoting every NFL team to move to Los Angeles……………….

Let’s go down the list.

Los Angeles Bucs.

Los Angeles Dolphins(Sounds good!)

Los Angeles Panthers

Los Angeles Jaguars

20. marshb13 says: Sep 8, 2011 10:06 PM

where in the world does bradygazzle keep getting these 9$ tix from. Im from jax and never seen that crap

21. zl1vette says: Sep 8, 2011 10:08 PM

What’s sad is that the NFL teams take in over NINE BILLION DOLLARS per year/approx $600 MILLION per game, and they’re worried about a few hundred thousand in revenue every week.

When I was a kid growing up in Dallas in 1979, the endzone seats cost $6 and the rest cost $8 per seat. A family of four could go to the game, park near the stadium, get a program, a few Cokes and some greasy burgers, all for about $70. According the the Department of Labor CPI, that’s $218 in today’s money.

In 2011, four of the absolute cheapest tickets now cost $236 (average $640) and that doesn’t include $75 parking, $20 programs, $13 burgers, $6 Coke, or for the low price of $60 you can get a pizza! At least in the 1970s they went to five Super Bowls. The rest of the league isn’t far behind as far as pricing.

When you figure that it now costs $700-$800 for four persons to attend an NFL game, is it really any wonder that most of us stay home or go to our local sports bar???

Time for the NFL to end this blackout bull****!

22. kiltherl says: Sep 8, 2011 10:22 PM

Sorry the economy has hit so hard in Tampa, but that’s a bad excuse. It’s a bad economy everywhere, and no one fails to throw Jacksonville under the bus even after 8 straight sell-outs last year. It’s easy to make fun of Jacksonville unless you actually do some research.

23. firemarshal1 says: Sep 8, 2011 11:13 PM

To zl1vette,

I concur, the NFL needs to lift the blackout rule, along with lowering the price of tickets. Hey, our President trying to do right thing by the helping out the middle class and poor. I know it’s a pipe dream, it’s worth mentioning it. Most football fans are just commoners, hardworking just trying to survive with less and less, while the RICH get richer. Nobody seems to get it. We’re all just working for the top 2 percent. Why hasn’t any of the S&L Bank Presidents, not been arrested and locked up. Watch Inside Job…….

24. vegas2phx says: Sep 9, 2011 10:34 AM

“Why is Arizona on this list? They usually sell out.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unfortunately they are on the list and even more unfortunately they did sell out and that crap game will be aired instead of real NFL football.

25. michael713 says: Sep 9, 2011 11:36 AM

What a shame for Bucs fans, and for fans of Lee Roy Selmon..
    In a community that already dislikes the ownership, I can’t understand why the Glazers would not fork over the cash to air this game as a “tribute game” for all the fans to see in honor of our only Hall of Famer. Not only would the locals get a chance to see any improvement our team made as well as maybe build some more interest, but maybe improve the view of the Glazers in the eyes of the community. A huge “Shame-On_You” the ownership !!!

26. larrycokeguy says: Sep 9, 2011 5:49 PM

I am a Bucs fan for years and I think this blackout rule stinks I have three kids and barely keep my bills paid but I can’t watch the team that I love so much because I can’t afford to go, well I guess I could go to the game instead of feeding my kids, I got the chance to go to a couple of games and it was fun but I can’t afford to go if the tickets weren’t given to me something needs to change

27. discosucs2005 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:36 AM

Does anyone have an actual reason for thumbs downing my post? I’m just curious as to who could possibly have been offended by my question “why are the 49ers tagged in this post?”

28. belicheckyoself says: Sep 10, 2011 9:08 AM

Prolly all disco fans.

29. truthseekerone says: Sep 10, 2011 12:00 PM

One would think that TV exposure would be THE most important goal to achieve for sport team owners. I guess not for the Glazers and other rich pigs. Death to greedy corporates!

30. recon163 says: Sep 10, 2011 1:29 PM

For STL, Vikings, Chargers, Jaguars, and Bills fans:

Getting closer…….

31. recon163 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:11 PM

@ truthseekerone:

“Not only this rule absolutely stinks but even with the games blacked out there’s no discounts on last minute tickets like for the Rays games.”

MLB does not have a like blackout rule. Point is moot.

“One would think that TV exposure would be THE most important goal . . .”

They are already getting it. The TV deal pays them even if there is a blackout.

“I guess not for the Glazers and other rich pigs. Death to greedy corporates!”

As you flip on your Sony bigscreen, while logging onto your Apple iMac, and checking your voicemail on your AT&T smartphone.

Please take your ‘peoples revolution’ crap somewhere else. You know places where the state can keep power on to your neighborhood for a good 70% of the day.

32. alreggie says: Sep 10, 2011 8:33 PM

Jeez, it’s only 8 games a year. How did some of these places get a team in the first place. Sad.

33. discosucs2005 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:15 PM

@recon163

You’re a pretty sad person. I don’t know what team you rot for (in my head it’s the Raiders), but imagine that team was potentially going to leave your town and move to a different city, or even across the country. Your “getting closer” post is just such a douchy post to make. There is no reason for it, and it just is a sad attempt to try and bring fans of other team’s down. I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but I hope you never have any actual power over any people, clearly you couldn’t help but abuse it.

34. discosucs2005 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:16 PM

@belicheckyoself

Didn’t even occur to me. I bet that’s it.

I don’t mind people giving a “thumbs” down to my follow up comment. Given the post, it was too tempting not to.

35. mnajb says: Sep 10, 2011 10:13 PM

Not to be a jerk, but the Los Angeles Buccaneers does have the best ring to it of all the possible movers.

36. mnajb says: Sep 10, 2011 10:14 PM

P.S. Arrrrrrrrr!

37. recon163 says: Sep 11, 2011 12:53 AM

@ discosucs2005:

“You’re a pretty sad person.”

Not really I am very happy. Just came back from a great Japanese dinner with my family and am heading to NY tomorrow for a Monday business meeting. How about you?

“I don’t know what team you rot for (in my head it’s the Raiders) . . .”

I don’t rot for anyone.

” . . .but imagine that team was potentially going to leave your town and move to a different city, or even across the country.”

Is there a difference, emotionally that is?

“Your “getting closer” post is just such a douchy post to make.”

How so? It is the truth.

I find it ‘douchy’ that you slam a music genre that many people have many fond memories of. But that is OK isn’t it? You can say what you like but others can’t?

“There is no reason for it, and it just is a sad attempt to try and bring fans of other team’s down.”

How so? Fans should only be concerned if they believe their teams are in danger of moving to LA. And if you read any of their posts they all agree that it isn’t going to happen. Don’t you read these boards?

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you, but I hope you never have any actual power over any people, clearly you couldn’t help but abuse it.”

Actually I have lots of power over people and have had for many years. And I am one of the nicest bosses anyone has had.

I saved lives in New Orleans, served in Iraq, and still work in the homeland security world today. What have you done that makes you so much better than me? That is what I thought, nothing.

But then again, I am not some Pollyanna simpleton like you who doesn’t want to hear any bad news.

Face it simpleton, the NFL is a business and I recognize it as such. The fact of the matter is that a team will move because they will make lots of money in LA or many other cities. The fans? They matter little. Ask Baltimore, Cleveland, Houston, St Louis, LA, or even Oakland about it. The NFL shed few tears and neither should we.