Steve Smith may play for Eagles, Vince Young likely won’t

Vince Young AP

When the so-called “Dream Team” takes the field for the first time ever, the man who gave the team that label likely won’t be available.

Eagles backup quarterback Vince Young is doubtful with a hamstring injury.

“[H]e actually took snaps today, but we have him listed as doubtful,” coach Andy Reid said Friday, in comments distributed by the team.

One guy who may play is one of the players who may help this team’s dreams come true.  Receiver Steve Smith (knee) isn’t on the injury report.

“There’s a chance he does [play], yeah,” Reid said.  “There’s a chance, but I can’t tell you how many snaps or that.  But there’s a chance he does play.”

If Smith plays — and if he plays well — look for a revolt from Giants fans, given that Smith’s former team seemed to think it would be a while until Smith would be able to suit up, opting not to sign him and giving the Eagles a chance to swipe him.

Permalink 54 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
54 Responses to “Steve Smith may play for Eagles, Vince Young likely won’t”
  1. vahawker says: Sep 9, 2011 3:13 PM

The Giants team is a train wreck

2. descendency says: Sep 9, 2011 3:14 PM

I guess “hamstring injury” is a lot better than “too immature to play”

3. derekjetersmansion says: Sep 9, 2011 3:16 PM

I mean, Smith’ll only be out there for like 5 plays.

4. Nikhil Balakumar says: Sep 9, 2011 3:17 PM

giants are going to regret. great route runner, great hands and good work ethic

5. boswivel says: Sep 9, 2011 3:18 PM

Given the weather along the east coast lately, this will be the wet dream team taking the field.

6. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 9, 2011 3:18 PM

Smith will play? What, Jackson, Maclin, Avant and Cooper won’t? He’s going to regret coming back too soon to shove to the Giants.

7. dgreenfi says: Sep 9, 2011 3:20 PM

Vince Yound would be doubtful to play even if he were 100% healthy. Rather have Steve Smith at full strength.

8. pastorinisflak says: Sep 9, 2011 3:24 PM

So what I’m gathering from this is that Smith has a chance to play. Is that a fair assumption?

9. bigbirdsfan says: Sep 9, 2011 3:31 PM

@ boswivel….the game is being played in a dome in St. Louis… I am fairly certain the forecast will be 72 degrees and dry…domes should be outlawed…

10. afan10 says: Sep 9, 2011 3:32 PM

But what Steve Smith are they getting?

11. willisaldon9952 says: Sep 9, 2011 3:37 PM

its not like Young was gonna play anyway, unless something happened to Vick.

12. vbe2 says: Sep 9, 2011 3:38 PM

I guess to Coughlin the “long haul” is up until week 1… lol

13. willyalistentothis says: Sep 9, 2011 3:39 PM

As a Giants fan, my initial reaction was to hope that Smith failed.

Then my better senses kicked and my second reaction was to hope that somebody gives Jerry Reese a swift kick square in the arse.

Then I realized that even though Steve Smith is a class act and made so many huge chain moving catches for the Giants, that he is now Philadelphia Eagle, so I hope he fails.

14. greymares says: Sep 9, 2011 3:46 PM

Mr Wright 212 maybe your Giants are not the only deep team in the division. and maybe the Giant doctors and trainers are not as sharp as their Eagle counter parts. and why wouldn’t he want to shove it to the Giants after all they tried to low ball him. I have read almost every post you have made on this site and I conclude Mr. Wright 212 = Richard Cranium.

15. jakek2 says: Sep 9, 2011 3:47 PM

Smith is great but Vick better make sure he throws it right in between his numbers or else he’ll tip the ball up for a pick. He’s one of the reasons why Eli had 25 of them last year. You’ll see She-Gal fans

16. claydefayette says: Sep 9, 2011 3:48 PM

“Huge” loss not to have Young. The Eagles really need him for their wild cat packages.

17. jnks10 says: Sep 9, 2011 3:55 PM

willyalistentothis says:
    Sep 9, 2011 3:39 PM
    As a Giants fan, my initial reaction was to hope that Smith failed.

———–

I saw 2 grown men throw beer on a 14 year old for wearing a Dawkins jersey a few years back in NY, but ya kept talking nonsense.

18. jpennjr says: Sep 9, 2011 4:02 PM

boswivel says:
    Sep 9, 2011 3:18 PM

Yeah, but they’re playing in St. Louis under the dome so they’ll just be the dream team again.

19. greymares says: Sep 9, 2011 4:04 PM

Mr Wright 212 just read on the Tuck post where you called me a coward where do you suggest we determine where we see if i will talk to your face i will start by telling you my first name is George and i live in N.J.

20. pftlhp says: Sep 9, 2011 4:07 PM

willyalistentothis…

And there are no unruly Giants fans? Or any other teams for that matter? Gee, are you prejudiced, too? Grow up.

21. wcdunkenfield says: Sep 9, 2011 4:15 PM

I’ve been to many games in Philadelphia, and I lived 2 miles from the old Meadowlands stadium. I’ve been to Giants @ Eagles, and Eagles @ Giants. While Philly has a reputation of being the intense atmosphere that it rightly deserves, the EXACT SAME kind of behavior is evident at Giants stadium. Like it or not, Eagles and Giants fans share the same ethnicities, religions, schooling, backgrounds, manners, attitudes, and that certain propensity for “in your face” behavior. For any one side to accuse the other of more outrageous acts is silly. They are the same people separated by less than 100 miles. They just THINK the other guy is worse. ‘Taint so…

22. sfwillis52 says: Sep 9, 2011 4:16 PM

willyalistentothis says:
    Sep 9, 2011 3:39 PM
    As a Giants fan, my initial reaction was to hope that Smith failed.

__________________________________
    My cousin was 8 and was at an Eagles game with my Aunt (who owns Eagle season tickets). My cousin was wearing a Barry Sanders jersey and the Eagles were playing the Giants. As my Aunt (dressed in Philly attire) walked my cousin to the bathroom, she was holding his hand. Some guy spit on my 8 year old cousin…for wearing a lions jersesy…to an eagles/giants game…I hate Philly more than anything

23. gtmann says: Sep 9, 2011 4:25 PM

P L E A S E……………….P L E A S E stop the “dream team” nonsense

24. Land Snark says: Sep 9, 2011 4:30 PM

@wcdunkenfield

Taint indeed.

25. Land Snark says: Sep 9, 2011 4:34 PM

@sfwillis52

@willyalistentothis

Do us all a favor and leave the “one time at band camp” stories.

Sorry to hear that someone in your family or an acquaintance of yours had a negative experience at an NFL game.

Truth is though there are few places in the NFL where you can take your family to see a game unless you can afford a suite.

So while the world appreciates your anecdotes and blanket stereotyping based upon a single event, it’s better if you’d save it for the family reunions.

26. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 9, 2011 4:36 PM

willyalistentothis says: Sep 9, 2011 3:39 PM

As a Giants fan, my initial reaction was to hope that Smith failed.

———–

Why would you be angry at Reese? He offered Smith fair money and Smith overvalued himself. Then got hurt. No sense in paying a guy who ain’t going to do nothing worthwhile until the end of the season.

27. wcdunkenfield says: Sep 9, 2011 4:36 PM

“P L E A S E……………….P L E A S E stop the “dream team” nonsense”

Amen to that.

Vince Young has NO IDEA of the bulletin board material he created for the other NFC East teams.

Moron…

28. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 9, 2011 4:39 PM

greymares says: Sep 9, 2011 4:04 PM

——–

You are still a coward. Who goes out of their way to repeatedly mention someone who doesn’t even respond to them nor give them permission to address me?

29. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 9, 2011 4:40 PM

———-

Stop lying.

Eagles fans are still worse.

30. jacunn2000 says: Sep 9, 2011 4:43 PM

I hate to say it, but I am afraid the Eagles are in for an epic failure this year. To much hype and not enough time to gel as a team. To many “Look at Me” guys on one team is never good.

31. lbdpatch says: Sep 9, 2011 4:44 PM

Ive been to numerous eagle/giant games at meadowlands and have been yelled at, Insulted and all the same crap they accuse philly fans of doing. Giant fans should really shut up half their team is hurt and talk about a over paid and over rated quarterback. Oh and remember just last year the Eagles 189 pound WR ran the ball back through every single defensive player on the Giants to win the game.

32. alaricsrevenge says: Sep 9, 2011 4:45 PM

I go to Eagles games all the time and spit on myself for good measure…

33. nfl fan says: Sep 9, 2011 4:53 PM

willyalistentothis…

And there are no unruly Giants fans? Or any other teams for that matter?
    —————————————–
    None that pee on 5 year olds…but then again, you’re the “Gold Standard”.

34. indianheadmeatpackingcompany says: Sep 9, 2011 5:08 PM

I like the Eagles. They aren’t my number one team and I won’t lie and say they are. I’m from the mid-west, where my team is also from. I moved to the Philly area and have my team’s stuff EVERYwhere. I have NEVER gotten any type of trouble from any Eagles fan. It’s not that it goes unnoticed, I am approached almost daily about my team and how I think they will do and what do I think about the Eagles. I even drive my car to the Linc and to 6ers games with stickers and my teams license plate on my car. NEVER any trouble. I wouldn’t label Philly the dream team but after some additions via free agency I would say that they are in the top 5 in the NFL.

35. greymares says: Sep 9, 2011 5:10 PM

a certain Giant fan seems to think he is smarter than not only the fans of other teams but also smarter than his fellow Giant fans the truth is he is dumber than a box of rocks, has no clue as to whether a football is blown up or stuffed and uses the word coward frequently because thats what he see’s when he looks in the mirror. THERE AND I DIDN’T MENTION YOUR NAME.

36. eaglesblow says: Sep 9, 2011 5:10 PM

I saw a team have to put a court and jail in their stadium because the fans there couldn’t handle the watered down beer they were chugging.

37. cursivel says: Sep 9, 2011 5:15 PM

You Giants fans are rediculous really. I need you all to stop. Oakland fans beat up San Fran fans and vice versa. Giants and Eagles fans don’t get along either. Everybody has jackass fans, but that doesn’t represent the team or fan base as a whole. If that was the case, there would be no way in hell that y’all are classy. Get it together people….

38. dallassux says: Sep 9, 2011 5:22 PM

eaglesblow says:
    Sep 9, 2011 5:10 PM

———————————————————————————–

The whole world saw a stupid drunk new yawker throw an ice ball at coach and knock him out. Nice! Guess he couldnt handle the watered down beer at the meadowlands.

We could go on all day. New yorkers are dopes too.

39. thefiesty1 says: Sep 9, 2011 5:24 PM

If Vick gets hurt (highly possible first game or any game) the Eagles better hope VY is available to play.

40. wcdunkenfield says: Sep 9, 2011 5:29 PM

Two things ALWAYS cited by Philly haters: 1) the police substation/court, and 2) snowballs at Santa.

Philly defense: 1) the stadium(s) are fairly isolated in the south of town, and it is practical to have a drunk tank there. All cities arrest fans during games (I’ve seen it in every stadium I’ve been to) and this way the problem is handled quickly. BTW, the ultra-conservative mayor of Philly (Frank Rizzo) started this practice, as I believe. Blame him. 2) Santa was drunk and extremely shabby. The fans were offended that such a poor example was offered up by the front office. NY fans would not only have throw snowballs, but I would offer up that more serious things would’ve happened in the parking lot. Not for nothing were mob hits buried in the Meadowlands.

Philly haters, especially NY based Philly haters, grow up. Similar things happen in your town too.

41. zeussuperman says: Sep 9, 2011 5:49 PM

willyalistentothis says: Sep 9, 2011 3:39 PM

——————————————–

Once, I saw a video of Giants fans BURNING A CAR and stomping on it because the Giants lost to the Eagles in the playoffs.

I’ll see your scumbags and raise you some serious property damage.

42. zeussuperman says: Sep 9, 2011 6:06 PM

@wcdunkenfield:

Thank you for an intelligent take on the “boorish fan” situation between NYC and Philly. Very well put.

43. zeussuperman says: Sep 9, 2011 6:14 PM

jacunn2000 says: Sep 9, 2011 4:43 PM

To many “Look at Me” guys on one team is never good.

————————————

You have a good point about the team gelling. But that’s why they play the games. As for the “me-first” players…

Which ones? Desean on offense, Asante Samuel on defense.

I’ll front you those two. Even with those two, can you get to just five “look at me” players without lying or showing you don’t know a whole lot about the Eagles?

44. seabreezes51 says: Sep 9, 2011 6:56 PM

Hey, I am an Eagles fan………. Went to an Eagles Cowboys game in Texas, the one the Eagles beat the ‘boys 10-6 or so. The last year in T stadium.
    The fans were nice before the game. I had cheesesteaks, they had tacos and we all traded stuff and palled it up before the game.
    After the game knife fights broke out in the parking lot, all over the place, my son got his jersey cut, but the scum missed his body………….
    It isn’t just Philly folks.

45. seabreezes51 says: Sep 9, 2011 6:58 PM

BTW… I NEVER saw a knife fight in any Philly lot.
    Never…….

46. roadhogster says: Sep 9, 2011 7:08 PM

One time I was at a Eagles Giants game at the Meadowlands and I saw a Giants fan take a leak on a toddler because he was wearing a McNabb Jersey..
    Another time when I was up in the Meadowlands
    I saw two Giants fans throw an 80 yer old granny to the ground poor beer on her head and kick her in the face because she had a Westbrook jersey on. Of course none of this is true…
    I have been an Eagles season ticket holder for years
    and have never seen anyone spit on or abuse people as mentioned by some of the Giant fans posting here.
    In every city you have your A$$holes Giant fans included. If I ever saw an Eagles fan spiting on or physically abusing any kids that were fans of any other NFL team I would most definitely want kick them in the face.

47. eaglesdynasty says: Sep 9, 2011 7:23 PM

llyalistentothis says:
    Sep 9, 2011 3:39 PM
    As a Giants fan, my initial reaction was to hope that Smith failed.

Once at an Eagle game I saw a grown man spit in the face of a 9 or 10 year old kid because the kid was wearing an Eli jersey. I saw a girl of about 14 years old punch a man in the face because Tiki Barber scored a TD. I hate the Eagles.”

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

first off I highly doubt your story as their is security everywhere at Eagles games and if a grown man spit in the face of a child he would have been immediately kicked out and likely face chargers. Eagles fans would turn on a fellow fan who assaults a child without a second thought

either way EVERY team has a group of beliegerant fans, its retarded to try to use those outliers and act like all Eagles fans are like that.

I am born and raised Philly native and the VAST majority of Eagles fans are knowledgable passionate fans, who have families and are normal people who would NOT FOR A SECOND tolerate violence towards chhildren over a football game.

your idea of what Eagles fans are is incredibley twisted and inaccurate and I find it very likely to be based on fabricated stories that you decided to make up after ESPN spoon fed you nonsense about what Philly is like. pathetic dude

48. laeaglefan says: Sep 9, 2011 7:25 PM

One can only hope that the Eagles won’t be needing Vince Young this weekend anyway. In a way though, it would be interesting to see what Kafka can do. The Eagles offensive line is going to be under a lot of pressure (pardon the pun) to keep Mike Vick healthy.

49. mwcarolina says: Sep 9, 2011 8:17 PM

Young isnt needed unless Vick is hurt, so it’s not a huge loss that a backup QB may not play.

50. philly4lyfe says: Sep 9, 2011 8:57 PM

Dont call ny fans just as mean or intimidating as Philly fans. I routinely go up to giants/mets/rangers games all decked out in my gear. Not one person has ever said a word to me, luckily for them.

51. nyfan63 says: Sep 9, 2011 9:30 PM

The Giants in general and GM Jerry Reese in particular seriously dropped the ball on Smith. While his injury is probably greater than he or the Eagles are letting on, it sounds like at some point this season he will be back at full strength. The guy is a difference maker, precise route runner, sure hands, smart, and gifted with an ability to find holes in a defense and get open in them. You got a guy like that – you re-sign him, so what if he misses 6-8 weeks, your signing him for 4-5 years. Reese has been living off the reputation he made with his 2007 draft and he hasn’t lived up to it (don’t get me started on his decision to have only RFA’s available to back up middle linebacker Jonathan Goff). Eagles fans are going to love what Smith eventually will bring to the offense, so will Mike Vick.

52. slick3 says: Sep 10, 2011 1:46 AM

Andy Reid’s gonna have to stop being so damn talkative. Can’t he keep a secret?

53. pxeeks says: Sep 10, 2011 11:29 AM

Smith will be the quiet unsung hero for the Eagles this year. I love how Philly has been showing up NY i.e. Nnamdi Asomugha & Cliff Lee. Philly is the place to be nowadays.

54. oldbyrd says: Sep 10, 2011 12:45 PM

SIDE THOUGHT….TAKEO SPIKES IS FAR BETTER THAN OUR MLB. HOW DO YOU FIGURE THIS KID A 5TH ROUND UNDERSIZED…SHORT FOR THE POSITION, WEAK , UNDERWEIGHT MILB. I JUST HOPE I AM WRONG…GOOD LUCK EAGLES I TRULY WISH YOU WELL.