Despite millions earned over the years, T.O. has financial concerns

owens_display_image AP

As receiver Terrell Owens continues to work toward getting back to 100 percent, he continues to pursue his career as a reality TV semi-star.

But, apparently, being a reality TV semi-star doesn’t pay as well as some would believe.

In a recent episode of The T.O. Show, Owens talks about his finances until having a “that’s my quarterback” moment, with a tear running down his cheek.

Then again, there’s a break in the shot before we see T.O. with a line of moisture on his face.  So it’s possible that he was cutting onions or something.

Regardless, the point is that T.O. continues to have bills, even when he has no football income.  And he apparently hasn’t saved or invested enough over the years to live the way he wants to live.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
80 Responses to “Despite millions earned over the years, T.O. has financial concerns”
  1. asyd1827 says: Sep 10, 2011 1:52 PM

I wish I could feel bad for the guy

2. Mr. Super-Cool Awesome says: Sep 10, 2011 1:52 PM

has financial concerns.

Nothing to see here.

3. dawkinseffect says: Sep 10, 2011 1:54 PM

we all have bills, that’s life. I don’t feel bad for players of his level, who has made so much money, and then cried for even more money, and now has nothing. that’s what you get for being greedy in life.

4. firemarshal1 says: Sep 10, 2011 1:54 PM

I’m T.O., money is no object, I just spend it.

5. glac1 says: Sep 10, 2011 1:54 PM

Now that’s a surprise! It takes discipline, common sense and having goals to gain financial security. I doubt many of today’s jocks have those talents.

6. ramofsteel says: Sep 10, 2011 1:55 PM

Could’ve been a superstar for all the right reasons. Kinda hard to feel sorry for a guy who threw not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 different QBs under the bus.

7. cakemixa says: Sep 10, 2011 1:55 PM

That’s my finances, man.

8. jabroni1 says: Sep 10, 2011 1:55 PM

Poor T.O. I guess those “I love me some me” t-shirts weren’t flying off the shelves. How about an “I would of loved me some sound financial planning with my millions I have squandered”

9. jutts says: Sep 10, 2011 1:55 PM

Maybe he spent too much on Popcorn…

10. badtimeoutcaldwell says: Sep 10, 2011 1:56 PM

Its the greedy owners fault… Because of them, T.O. was only able to earn $70 million over his career instead of the $80 million that he really needed to comfortably retire…. Hows a guy supposed to make it beyond football with only having earned $70 million… damn greedy owners!

11. seneca1ss says: Sep 10, 2011 1:57 PM

I think it’s hilarious when these guys blow thru millions (you literally have to have NO BRAIN)

12. vdaigglesfan says: Sep 10, 2011 1:58 PM

I love me some KARMA. Sweet, sweet schadenfruede.

13. liltifer says: Sep 10, 2011 1:59 PM

Ok, I just watched the clips and he says his credit score is in the 5- to 600’s. How can his credit be so bad unless he’s already been having payment issues?

14. h3min1230 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:00 PM

so thats why he was telling djax to get as much money as he can while he can. got it now

15. steveohho says: Sep 10, 2011 2:00 PM

Loving me some of me some Chapter 7!

16. arkadyrenko says: Sep 10, 2011 2:01 PM

Football player with massive diva rep winds up broke after 15 year career. What a surprise.

17. jutts says: Sep 10, 2011 2:02 PM

I don’t get it. This guy made more money in one game than most people make in a lifetime. Yet he’s broke?.. Plus every place he went he got freebies, I’m sure. It just goes to show you Jane, ” People are Stupid”……..

18. tjacks7 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:03 PM

Anybody who makes over 10 million bucks by their mid 30s and is financial unstable, gets no sympathy from me. TO has made wayyyy more than that though.

19. ajknox88 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:04 PM

That’s truly beyond comprehension.

20. voiceofrealism says: Sep 10, 2011 2:05 PM

A big mouthed idiot who doesn’t manage his millions responsibly. Gee, who’d a thunk it?

21. seattlecvd says: Sep 10, 2011 2:07 PM

That’s just sad and pathetic. With the various contracts and signing bonuses this guy has had over the years, he could have easily stashed away $10M and still had a few million left over to play around with – buying toys, houses, etc. during his playing days.

Take the $10M and put it in rather safe, bonds and T-bills etc. Even if you only earn 2-3% in a crappy economy on this money, it amounts to an annual income of $200,000-$300,000…which is an extremely comfortable way to live…especially if you were able to pay cash for a nice $2M house somewhere.

I just don’t get it.

22. kwalk4780 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:08 PM

Great pic. Your career is over. Now go away!

23. conseannery says: Sep 10, 2011 2:21 PM

That pic is just asking to be turned into a demotivated poster.

24. anthony7727 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:22 PM

I actually just got done crying cuz after paying rent im broke as hell:(

25. teal379 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:44 PM

“That’s my quarterback!” *sniff*

Who knew he was actually looking for change in the couch cushions?

26. tk1966 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:47 PM

Says a lot about the guy when there seems to be not one comment of support.

27. effjohntaylornorelation says: Sep 10, 2011 2:51 PM

Seriously, who didn’t see this coming? All to predictable.

28. TurdSandwich says: Sep 10, 2011 2:52 PM

I love me some broke me!

29. brandyontx says: Sep 10, 2011 3:03 PM

See: Plaxico Burress in 7 months

30. godofwine330 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:07 PM

It is the 20’s and early 30’s where athletes make more money than they will make for the rest of the years of their lives COMBINED. This is significantly different when compared to the lives of most citizens, who usually struggle financially through our 20’s and gain better footing in our 30’s and beyond. Government employees see step and grade increases go up every year, not including the cost of living increases, so they as most others make more money in the rest of their lives than they do in their 20’s.

Athletes need to realize this and get smarter. Lay off the jewelry, the multiple expensive cars, the multiple luxury houses. Realize that they have to live off of what they make in their “dumb 20’s” for the rest of their lives. Pay cash for a house or a car instead of financing, so at least they will have something when their career is done, then all they will have to do is come up with the taxes for the property.

I can’t say I feel bad for him or the rest of the financially struggling former athletes. It does make me realize how much smarter those such as Carson Palmer are who are financially set from good investments that they don’t need to play

31. mymanmccoy says: Sep 10, 2011 3:08 PM

Perfect example of obamajad economy. Everybody gets the same amount of money, but look what happens when absolute idiots get money. It’s gone! Now he wants to cry again? This is why 87% of nfl players are flat broke two years after they retire. Someone that has never had money and doesn’t know how to manage it will never keep it. My favorite saying: “When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with the experience leaves with the money and the man with the money leaves with the experience.” Think about it crybabies!

32. rajbais says: Sep 10, 2011 3:09 PM

Tell me about this when he’s truly broke, please!!!

33. ctiggs says: Sep 10, 2011 3:11 PM

he is not broke u idiots

34. palinforpresidentofnorthkorea says: Sep 10, 2011 3:16 PM

So T.O. blew his millions?

Tough $hit. Get a job and spend within your means.

35. dannymac17 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:17 PM

i laugh every time i see that picture. i cant get enough of it.

36. turk2875 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:27 PM

Don’t these players get taught about money management when they enter the NFL. Sheesh, talk about “in one ear and out the other….”

37. 3octaveFart says: Sep 10, 2011 3:29 PM

aw, that’s a shame. :roll:

38. habsman says: Sep 10, 2011 3:32 PM

Great pic….crying while wearing diamond ear rings!

39. aldavisisthenfl says: Sep 10, 2011 3:34 PM

I sure his great buddy/agent Drew will see him through………..

40. trseann says: Sep 10, 2011 3:37 PM

I guess he no longer has 15 million reasons to live? I guess it’s time to pop those pills.

41. jutts says: Sep 10, 2011 3:40 PM

He may not be “Broke”, but after reading these comments, most of us could really care less.

42. ernestbynershands says: Sep 10, 2011 3:44 PM

Maybe he should have saved a few of those reasons to live.
    Maybe he should have charged himself a cover charge for the birthday parties he throws himself.
    But, Drew will help him. As long as someone signs TO.

43. jabroni1 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:50 PM

Get your Ramen Noodles ready!

44. usetabe says: Sep 10, 2011 3:51 PM

Knew a financial guy who worked with athletes. Tried to work with T.O. Said he was out of control, the dumbest person he had ever met. I’ve kept that in mind following T.O.’s career. Cut him some slack. He’s the real thing, hopelessly dumb.

45. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Sep 10, 2011 3:58 PM

In the end, Bogey and Bergman still had Paris to remember and now T.O. is left with just his memories. Can you think of anything more pathetic than a diva with no money? What a moron. You would think that his agent, Drew “next question” Rosenhaus would have slapped him upside the head a few times to knock some sense into him. Oh well, life beckons.

46. mgfred says: Sep 10, 2011 4:02 PM

I had plenty put away for the future…. Only problem is that my ex-wives took it all away from me…… I can relate to T.O.

47. whatwouldlombardido says: Sep 10, 2011 4:24 PM

I believe that this will make TO stronger and more motivated than ever to come back strong and healthy. I believe that he will redouble his rehab and, when some savvy gm signs him, TO will play with a renewed passion for the game. Wait…I forgot to take my meds today…nevermind.

48. delshofner says: Sep 10, 2011 4:24 PM

Just pawn those earrings, T.O. That should keep you going for another year or two.

49. macjacmccoy says: Sep 10, 2011 4:32 PM

Maybe he invested with David Akers.

50. thefiesty1 says: Sep 10, 2011 4:36 PM

Poor baby. Get in line with the rest of us struggling financially. If you had a brain you’d of budgeted a little with your big contracts and saved a little. Too much bling???

51. melikefootball says: Sep 10, 2011 4:40 PM

How do you even feel concern for this guy. He had no concern for anyone but himself. You know the saying..what goes around comes around.

52. faulkana says: Sep 10, 2011 4:40 PM

I have 25,000,000 reasons not to feel sorry for T.O.

53. 9erswillis says: Sep 10, 2011 4:44 PM

Im sure he can get a job selling “Pop Corn” at a movie theater using his trademark line “GET YOUR POP CORN READY”

54. kalispellmt says: Sep 10, 2011 4:47 PM

Stupid is as Owens does. Don’t even feel sorry for this guy.

55. santolonius says: Sep 10, 2011 4:52 PM

dear pro athletes. enough already. here is your budget from day one of signing your first contract:
    3000 per month for housing.
    2000 for bills.
    1000 for auto.
    4000 for having fun and all else.
    that is 10,000 per month. put all the rest in a conservative IRA. you will spend 120,000 of you multi-million dollar salary per year and still have enough money for a boat load of fun. when your career is over, buy a house in your favorite part of the world and live off the interest of your IRA until you are 50. at 50 start drawing down the principal of the IRA very slowly. it is so simple that any of you who do it differently are being very stubborn indeed.

56. thirdngoal says: Sep 10, 2011 5:07 PM

Time for ole T.O. to practice his next lines he will need in life. 1.) Can I SUPERSIZE that for you??? 2.) Do you want FRIES with that?????

57. cowboyfan45 says: Sep 10, 2011 5:09 PM

I certainly will not be shedding any tears for this clown….

58. hammer7329 says: Sep 10, 2011 6:01 PM

You mean TO didn’t get good financial advice for mega agent Drew Rosenhaus. One dirtbag deserves another….next question !

59. Deb says: Sep 10, 2011 6:11 PM

godofwine330 says:

Your twenties is the time in your life that other than your teenage years you are the dumbest. Dumb decisions, poor financial choices, feelings of invincibility, lack of condom usage and all kind of things. It is the 20′s and early 30′s where athletes make more money than they will make for the rest of the years of their lives COMBINED. This is significantly different when compared to the lives of most citizens …
    ———————————————–
    Yes … which is why the NCAA should be requiring them to take classes in simple budgeting, and why their agents and the league should be providing them lists of reputable financial advisers. Goodell uses the Personal Conduct Policy to treat them like kids as far as how they spend their time; it would be better if the league provided more guidance in how they spend their money. I don’t feel sorry for T.O., either. But not every player who ends up in this situation is a jerk, so I do feel bad for some of them.

60. crazybeardedjack says: Sep 10, 2011 6:24 PM

Are you seriously reporting on something on TO’s reality show like it’s reality? If you’re that gullible, I’ve got some ocean front property for you in North Dakota.

61. johnnyb216 says: Sep 10, 2011 6:50 PM

What a shock.

62. mblade says: Sep 10, 2011 6:53 PM

Maybe he and Tiki and make a buddy movie…Even Dumb and Even Dumber.

63. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 10, 2011 7:00 PM

Who doesn’t have financial concerns? I just didn’t blow $50 million. He did. Moving on…

64. bdert says: Sep 10, 2011 7:06 PM

Everybody Hates Terrell…

65. upperdecker19 says: Sep 10, 2011 7:23 PM

Have a charity “sit up-a-thon” on his driveway. I’m down for a quarter a sit up.

66. sirninjalot says: Sep 10, 2011 8:15 PM

Get your off-brand Popcorn ready!

Somewhere Jeff Garcia is smiling…and enjoying a nice ambrosia salad with extra cherries….

67. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Sep 10, 2011 8:19 PM

mymanmccoy says:
    Sep 10, 2011 3:08 PM

_________________________________
    What the hell are you talking about?

68. nep1283 says: Sep 10, 2011 8:27 PM

so why is he so worried bout desean jacksons contract. desean will get paid t.o wont

69. alreggie says: Sep 10, 2011 8:29 PM

Breaking news: T.O. just tested positive…..for Ramen noodles.

70. Deb says: Sep 10, 2011 9:10 PM

You guys are a bitter bunch.

71. hedleykow says: Sep 10, 2011 9:15 PM

What? You mean bling isn’t a good retirement strategy? Nobody tells me and T.O. anything! Man that pisses me off!

72. steelerfan999 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:42 PM

EFFING IDIOT

73. steelerfan999 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:46 PM

CALL TIKI BARBER, HES LOOKING FOR A ROOMATE

74. mr4thand1 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:53 PM

And we’re supposed to feel sorry for this egomaniac?

75. contraryguy says: Sep 10, 2011 10:10 PM

well if he’d thought ahead like the Ocho, and put some money into a major league grille, he could at least pull a few teeth and send ‘em to Cash4Gold.

Deb:
    “you guys are a bitter bunch.”

Some of us are Bengals fans; it comes with the job.

76. slick3 says: Sep 10, 2011 11:24 PM

tk1966 says:
    Sep 10, 2011 2:47 PM

Says a lot about the guy when there seems to be not one comment of support.

_______________________________________________

I find it difficult to feel sympathy for anyone that earns millions in their 20s and 30s and then complains of being broke after their career ends. It would take me 100 lifetimes to earn even what the lowest paid star player made over a career. Nah, no sympathy here pal.

77. coupee36 says: Sep 11, 2011 10:46 AM

Great career move, Loser!

78. txraiderfan says: Sep 11, 2011 10:57 AM

That’s because TO is a GD idiot. His dumb a## deserves to be broke.

79. dolphandan says: Sep 11, 2011 1:11 PM

Now he’s having a “I want my Quarter back” moment.

80. EJ says: Dec 10, 2011 8:38 AM

I could live very comfortable for the rest of my life off of one of his contracts, and he had what 4 separate contracts? These players live well beyond their means when that first check hits their palms. Forget that in the end the math doesn’t work out, they keep on spending! Advice for players, you can still live very nice while making sure you’ll have money for the future….

Hire a Financial Adviser.