Steelers, Troy Polamalu agree to four-year deal

Super Bowl XLV Getty Images

Troy Polamalu will be a Steeler for at least four more years.

The Steelers and Polamalu have agreed to a four-year deal that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2014 season.

Despite reports that a deal between Polamalu and the Steelers wouldn’t happen until after the 2011 season, in recent days both sides decided to work hard to get a deal done. Now they’ve done it, just a day before the first game of the year.

The Steelers have announced the signing and posted a picture of Polamalu signing his contract at the airport, just before leaving for tomorrow’s game in Baltimore.

The 30-year-old Polamalu has been one of the best safeties in football since the Steelers drafted him in 2003, and this contract means there’s a good chance he’ll finish his career in Pittsburgh.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Steelers, Troy Polamalu agree to four-year deal”
  1. illogic87 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:43 PM

Four years?!?! Polamalu will have switched to promoting Just For Men products by the time that thing is over….

2. cup1981 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:44 PM

Just stay healthy, Troy. You are THE best SS in the NFL when healthy. I am glad this is done before the season started.

3. CKL says: Sep 10, 2011 2:47 PM

I really respect the way this team handles its football business. They don’t do contracts during the season and they stick to that. They came down to the wire on Hines a few years ago too IIRC. As a Pats fan I am jealous that they know how to draft productive WRs too..though I realize the requirements are diferent.

4. redguy12588 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:48 PM

Great move, now the steelers can concentrate solely on mike Wallace next season

5. tsutton84 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:52 PM

They’ve signed Ike Taylor, Lamarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons and now Polamalu to long-term deals in the last month.

6. textexington says: Sep 10, 2011 2:54 PM

Remember then Ooga Booga Polamooga won the Defensive Player of the Year and then the Stealers lost the Superbowl 32-25 to the Green Bay Packers? That was awesome.I LOLed.Go Pack Go!!!

7. kevo126 says: Sep 10, 2011 2:55 PM

“The 30-year-old Polamalu has been one of the best safeties in football since the Steelers drafted him in 2003,”

really? he was horrible his rookie year. only played in 11 games in 07 and had zero int’s. he only played in 5 games in 09.

oh and in the super bowl he was god awful.

8. belairirish says: Sep 10, 2011 2:58 PM

Good thing Troy doesn’t play for the Panthers or else he would have had to cut his hair year ago.

9. monctonvike says: Sep 10, 2011 2:58 PM

10. paulieorkid says: Sep 10, 2011 3:01 PM

kevo126:

You’re absolutely atrocious at breaking down football play, and equally absymal at determing causal relationships on a football field.

Perhaps the Redskins have an opening for you — you fit their qualifications perfectly.

11. phillyphever says: Sep 10, 2011 3:05 PM

Wow, what a win for Pittsburgh. Now they can tag Wallace.

12. Steeler's Will says: Sep 10, 2011 3:09 PM

kevo126 says:Sep 10, 2011 2:55 PM

oh and in the super bowl he was god awful.
    ————————
    You’re right, he sucks.

13. Rhode Island Patriots Fan says: Sep 10, 2011 3:14 PM

Polamalu is well-deserving of this new deal. There isn’t any Steelers player for whom I have more respect. Troy has unrivaled instincts for where the ball is going, and is a consummate professional both on and off the field.

14. axespray says: Sep 10, 2011 3:18 PM

monctonvike says:Sep 10, 2011 2:58 PM
    “I know its the weekend but how come u guys missed AP getting his extension the vikings official site beat u to it”

vikings are relevent?

15. 3octaveFart says: Sep 10, 2011 3:22 PM

This was probably the easist contract extension the Steelers ever offered.
    Polamalu isn’t obsessed with money like some jocks.
    While some guys show up at training camp driving Jaguars and Hummers, he shows up in a Honda Civic.

16. dlk47823 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:23 PM

No one disputes what a great player polamalu was….but he’s certainly past his prime. he might have 2 yrs left as a starter, then he’ll be replaced.
    Body is shot.

17. taz101 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:36 PM

phillyphever says:
    Sep 10, 2011 3:05 PM
    Wow, what a win for Pittsburgh. Now they can tag Wallace.

Why would they tag Wallace? Isn’t he set to become a restricted free agent? Just place the highest tender on him. If you can’t strike a new deal, take the 1st round (or, unlikely, 1st & 3rd round) compensation & move on. I like the kid, but you don’t break the bank for a WR.

18. rabidmike says: Sep 10, 2011 3:37 PM

Wow, TP is going more amped tomorrow than TO…but more than me Glendale, AZ here I come….GO CARDS!

19. cmiddel says: Sep 10, 2011 3:39 PM

I still can’t find this news anywhere else bit awesome! They just locked up their beast!

20. marshmont says: Sep 10, 2011 3:40 PM

as a ravens fan i totally respect troy. he is a great football player.

21. ravensfan4life52 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:41 PM

Ed Reed is better. Troy even said so. but still a lot of respect for this guy. great player. See you tomorrow. CAN’T WAIT!

22. edward515 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:43 PM

kevo:

You are a clown too! And so is the idiot who actualy kind of agreed with you!

23. taz101 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:48 PM

ravensfan4life52 says:
    Sep 10, 2011 3:41 PM

Ed Reed is definitely a better FREE Safety than Troy. However, Troy is undoubtedly a better STRONG Safety than Reed. They are two different positions with different responsibilities.

24. managod777 says: Sep 10, 2011 3:59 PM

So, how’s his foot?

25. tk1966 says: Sep 10, 2011 4:17 PM

textexington says:
    Sep 10, 2011 2:54 PM

______________________________

Hmm… and here I thought that the Packers had classy fans. Guess you just proved me wrong. Good for you.

26. Deb says: Sep 10, 2011 4:29 PM

edward515 says:

kevo:

You are a clown too! And so is the idiot who actualy kind of agreed with you!
    ————————————————
    Steeler’s Will wasn’t agreeing with him. He was being sarcastic.

So glad they finished this deal in the nick of time before the season started. In many ways, Troy is the face of the franchise, and when the time finally comes, he should retire a Steeler. But those who think the time is now are underestimating him … as usual :)

27. Bubby Brister says: Sep 10, 2011 4:30 PM

The kind of person who thinks Troy sucks is also the kind who will turn around and tell you Ed Reed sucks, too, along with Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Ray Lewis… AKA the kind of guy who has no idea what it’s like to watch greatness and is insanely jealous because his team sucks every year.

28. melikefootball says: Sep 10, 2011 4:34 PM

One of the best safety’s and man in the NFL. Class act and good for the Steelers for stepping up and giving new contract before the year starts.

29. bobbyyyd says: Sep 10, 2011 4:40 PM

I am a panther fan and not a steeler hater at all. I just think it is real funny when people are bashing the panthers for signing there own drafted players to long term deals, but on a steeler article they give a guy 100 thumb ups and 7 down when he says “This is why the Steelers always contend – they don’t take other teams’ free agent castoffs. They draft their own players, teach them their system, and hold on to them.” I am not saying the panthers are a contending team THIS season. I am just saying that the panthers use this same philosophy, and they got bashed.

30. jabroni1 says: Sep 10, 2011 4:44 PM

Troy Polamolu a safety? I thought his position was “Omnipresent Surface to Air Destroyer” Congrats Steelers fans

31. bullybirds says: Sep 10, 2011 4:48 PM

As a Raven fan, totally respect this guy. He’s a consumate professional and class guy. AFC North has the best rivalries. I’m glad he will remain in Pitt and wish him the best, but just not tomorrow.

32. typicaleaglesfan says: Sep 10, 2011 5:03 PM

Great player good for him! Thank god no stupid stairway to 7 people have chimed in.

33. jr4real says: Sep 10, 2011 5:16 PM

Thats awesome! I swear only pats, steelers and ravens know what the hell they are doing in this league. Probably add packers now also. I know ravens havent won sb but they are still a pretty tough team.

34. wvucolumbus says: Sep 10, 2011 5:32 PM

This news pretty much guarantees that it’ll be the Steelers and Pats battling for Lombardi’s over the next handful of years.

35. CKL says: Sep 10, 2011 5:39 PM

bobbyyyd says: Sep 10, 2011 4:40 PM

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    I hear you and to a degree it isn’t fair. However,
    this is what happens when a team wins consistently regardless of which one. If Carolina wins some SBs, JR could run naked down Mint Street and the media would start lauding him. Imagine if Irsay was the owner of the Bengals and tweeted all that wild stuff he does? Think he wouldn’t be ridiculed as a senile idiot instead of being called “eccentric”, “entertaining” and “refreshingly honest”? People called Ted Thompson all kinds of horrible names almost up until his team won the SB (I always liked TT even before then and liked the hire of McCarthy so I paid attention to the talk). And Thompson’s philosophy has been the exact same from day 1. Benson & Loomis were hated on until NO won, etc. etc.

36. stinkfist5 says: Sep 10, 2011 6:19 PM

I’m a die-hard Ravens fan…I hate the Steelers…

Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu are considered two of the best safeties to ever play the game. But maybe they shouldn’t be.

They are both hyper-aggresive and miss about as many plays as they make. But, it’s a fun debate. I doubt either of them last another four years. Reed is fragile and Polamalu is due a major injury. I hope both last, but I’m just sayin….

37. upyoursnfu says: Sep 10, 2011 6:58 PM

You got to love how he handles himself. You didn’t see him holding out or whining about getting a new contract.

38. dickroy says: Sep 10, 2011 7:34 PM

This is the best news I have heard all day. I was hoping Troy would retire a Steeler. He is the one player that I could never imagine seeing in any other uniform.

39. antibenapalooza says: Sep 10, 2011 7:43 PM

Troy is a class act. Ben, on the other hand, is a real piece of excrement. I hope Ben has a career ending injury soon. Pittsburgh was a much better place when he was over in Ohio. (being a younger real piece of excrement).

40. hoosierhandicapper says: Sep 10, 2011 7:49 PM

@bullybirds — great post.

@ravensfan4life52 — what did you expect the most humble superstar in the league to say? He’s an amazing player but quite frankly an even better person.

Looking forward to a great contest tomorrow, although to be honest I think the Steelers might win this one handily. Steelers’ strength (QB, WRs) vs Ravens’ weakness (new CBs). Also the Ravens have shuffled their OL to a point where they haven’t played a snap together which probably isn’t going to be a good thing vs. LeBeau’s D.

41. jmack1979 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:37 PM

bobbyyyd says: Sep 10, 2011 4:40 PM

I am a panther fan and not a steeler hater at all. I just think it is real funny when people are bashing the panthers for signing there own drafted players to long term deals, but on a steeler article they give a guy 100 thumb ups and 7 down when he says “This is why the Steelers always contend – they don’t take other teams’ free agent castoffs. They draft their own players, teach them their system, and hold on to them.” I am not saying the panthers are a contending team. THIS season. I am just saying that the panthers use this same philosophy, and they got bashed.

————————————————-
    The difference is the type of players that Kevin Colbert drafts and resigns vs the type of players that Marty Hurney drafts and resigns.We are talking about good players vs perennial pro bowlers. Hurney is the problem in Carolina.John Fox was a scapegoat.Things will not be right in Charlotte untill Marty Hurney is gone.

42. holeinone09 says: Sep 10, 2011 9:55 PM

Very happy they got this done! Steelers basically ran the table on their big players needing signed this off season, great job.

Congrats to Troy. If anybody understands football at all, they would have to admit Troy is one of the best in the game when he is healthy. He has made plays that nobody else can or has. He will retire a Steeler, which is the way it should be.

GO STEELERS!!

43. nickynick04 says: Sep 11, 2011 8:37 AM

Great news for the rest of the NFL
    Look at the Super Bowl tape. The Packers exploited him BAD !
    Force him to cover receivers, he cannot