Cam Newton scores, gets celebration penalty

Carolina Panthers v Arizona Cardinals Getty Images

In the third quarter of his first NFL game, Cam Newton did what he did so often at Auburn: Score a rushing touchdown.

And after that he did something that Panthers coach Ron Rivera will surely tell him never to do again: Pick up a penalty for excessive celebration.

Newton’s touchdown showed off his incredible athletic ability, as he leapt over a pile and stuck the ball across the goal line. It was a great play that continued a great first game so far for Newton.

But Newton wasn’t content just to jog off to the sideline after he scored. Instead, he decided to act like an entertainer and icon: He ran into the end zone after the play was over, got down on one knee, waved his arm around and then got back up and preened a little more. Any celebration that includes the player going to the ground is an automatic flag, and so the Panthers were penalized 15 yards on the ensuing kickoff.

That celebration was a mistake, but Newton has looked sensational. In addition to the rushing touchdown, he has completed 15 of 21 passes for 315 yards and two touchdowns, and it’s not even the fourth quarter yet. Heading into today, Peyton Manning owned the NFL record for passing yards by a rookie in Week One, with 302 yards in his debut in 1998. Newton owns that record now.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Carolina Panthers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Cam Newton scores, gets celebration penalty”
  1. thespeaker08 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:33 PM

Heaven forbid he be excited about throw two TDs and Running one in.

He air strummed a guitar on his knew\e – watch out Arizona – thats a smear right in your face.

2. ks718 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:35 PM

He’s a rookie having a solid game after a whole off season of listening to how bad he would be in the NFL. One game doesn’t put him in the Hall of Fame, but let him enjoy this a little bit.

3. rarson says: Sep 11, 2011 6:35 PM

Who cares? The guy was probably ecstatic. Good for him.

4. vexey says: Sep 11, 2011 6:35 PM

That was a pretty sweet air guitar you have to admit

5. cakemixa says: Sep 11, 2011 6:35 PM

Definitely deserving of a 5 paragraph story.

6. stellaboycarl says: Sep 11, 2011 6:36 PM

Jruss version 2? Thought he was suppose to flounder his first game?

7. medialovesthecowboys says: Sep 11, 2011 6:36 PM

Man, his first NFL TD…give the kid a break.

8. tblitz25 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:39 PM

What a bust!

9. 6thsense79 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:39 PM

I guess the Cam haters will have to wait for another week to claim he’ll be a bust in the league. It’s only one game and it’s against the Cards D but for a rookie starting his first NFL game his performance is outstanding.

10. frankgarrett says: Sep 11, 2011 6:42 PM

Who???

11. ravensfan4life52 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:42 PM

havin a great game. i’m happy for this guy

12. oxycode30 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:44 PM

He’s arrogant and selfish. He knew he’d cost the team 15 yards on the kickoff and decided that acting like a street hood was worth it. I’m glad he’s not on my team.

13. beastson says: Sep 11, 2011 6:44 PM

Newton looks poised. Scratch that.. Newton looks AMAZING!

14. ahobgoo says: Sep 11, 2011 6:47 PM

I can live with those kinda penalties as long as Cam keeps playing this way.

15. joetoronto says: Sep 11, 2011 6:48 PM

Bo knows.

16. tmac4454 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:50 PM

To all C Newton haters, he got the rookie passing record. His 1st rushing TD, 2 passing TD’s. As far as I am concern, he shows he got the skills to be in the NFL. Congrats Newton!!!

17. thefiesty1 says: Sep 11, 2011 6:54 PM

Grow up, your a professional now. Whoops, I forgot you have been there, done that.

18. thefiesty1 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:03 PM

I take that back now that I’ve seen it. The No Fun League is going to have to start penalizing for the Lambeau Leap if they are going to flag for excessive celebration like they did for Cam.

19. CKL says: Sep 11, 2011 7:10 PM

@thefeisty1
    No they’re not. He was penalized for going to the ground.
    I am all for a guy being excited but I don’t like it when any QB does that sort of thing (individual celebration). That goes for Rodgers and his “belt” too. CN has played very, very well today especially for a rookie QB on the road, and as long as that was a one time deal, it’s not a big issue.

Also kudos to the team because Chud has done a phenomenal job putting him in position to succeed with his playcalls and they have done a nice job building up the skill talent around him with the two TEs so he can be as comfortable as possible too.

20. mwpugs says: Sep 11, 2011 7:11 PM

He’s a young kid living out his dream. At that age I would have done the same thing and you probably would too get off his back he already has the whole panthers team to carry on it!!

21. rhatman says: Sep 11, 2011 7:12 PM

you’ll never see that from rex! HAIL!

22. kdl21 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:21 PM

Who cares if he celebrated his first rushing TD? He was probably excited beyond his dreams.

He’s having an unbelievable game, over 400 yards passing. He looks amazing.

23. stull60060 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:25 PM

I am not a Panther’s fan. I didn’t see Cam’s celebration. However, once again the ref’s and the league need to get their rules straight. I just saw a touchdown highlight showing a Cardinal scoring a touchdown and going down on one knee and looking to the sky. NO PENALTY. Apparently you can go to the ground after a touchdown and NOT GET A PENALTY. I’m sick of these petty rules and the inconsistent enforcement.

24. johnnyb216 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:26 PM

Can’t wait till the packers give him a dose of reality next week.

25. 989lions says: Sep 11, 2011 7:31 PM

coming from the guy named oxycodone

26. CKL says: Sep 11, 2011 7:33 PM

stull60060 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:25 PM

_______________________________________
    I think when guys look to the sky or point to the sky, they consider it a religious gesture and they let them do it without penalty. Yes I’m serious. And I agree it’s a silly distinction. They should either allow it or not allow it.

27. icewalker946 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:35 PM

Wow, I was wrong about him. He looks like he belongs.

This was against the Cardinals, though. I’ll hold off on him being a good solid player after he plays next week.

Packers.

28. peester15 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:35 PM

The guy just threw for over 400 yards in his first game….don’t post a title like that…shut the hell up

29. rmm9090 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:39 PM

Perfect example of the players attitudes across the entire league.

No more of what’s best for the team to win the game. It’s now all about “look at me and see what I just did”. No more team work, just a big pack of pre-madonnas….

Arrogance does not win games, team work does. Look no further than the score of this game, 27-21, Arizona.

30. favreforever says: Sep 11, 2011 7:41 PM

Newton got a lot more help from the refs than harm, though. The call that negated the interception, not calling him in the grasp, the “blow” to the helmet. The game wouldn’t have been nearly that close without a lot of key calls going in the Panthers favor.

31. rashardmendenballs says: Sep 11, 2011 7:42 PM

Cam was ballin out of control today, 420 yards, all of his deep balls for the most part were on the money. I will also give him bonus points for busting out the air guitar on the score.

32. hahaha2thehaters says: Sep 11, 2011 7:43 PM

Hilarious that you sweets like johnny b216 can still be hating. No one gave him a shot in hell and he came out and set the all time record for a week one rookie. Almost beat any game for a rookie in his first game. Still no story on it on the front page. You guys keep hating and let’s see if he just keeps scoring. HAHAHAHAHAHaters

33. bullethead527 says: Sep 11, 2011 7:44 PM

WOW!!! 422 yards 2 TD, 1 Rushing TD, 1 INT, for a rookie on the road, playing against an underrated ARZ team, WOW!!!! with spreading the offense out like we did we might be able to score 2 TD vs the Packers, (a far better team), but are offense dont seem to be the problem, are Def gave up two big TD’s and are special teams allowed PP to return a punt for a TD, we couldve blown them out!!!!! Good game though!!!! Go Cam!!!!! Haters better change your usernames to save face!!!!!

34. runtheball says: Sep 11, 2011 7:45 PM

Don’t the referees know that he is an entertainer and an icon?

35. scudbot says: Sep 11, 2011 7:45 PM

“… penalizing for the Lambeau Leap” won’t ever happen. It’s considered a celebration between a single player and fans, not a group of players.

36. numberoneinthehoodg says: Sep 11, 2011 7:50 PM

I concur with stull60060, not only by his example but by the fact that it was made very clear that cowboy antics by 69 would not be allowed. Yet, since
    DirectTV was super (thanks for asking) and allowed us non-sub’s to see all games, I noticed no penalty after a sack. Maybe he changed up a little. Schnapps is a helluva drug.

37. cgarsmoker says: Sep 11, 2011 7:59 PM

I swear…still with the “entertainer and icon” crap? If he keeps passing for 400 yards a game will you finally get over it? He a kid…thank God all young men are not held to every quote they ever make before they turn 22.

38. rmm9090 says: Sep 11, 2011 9:28 PM

As a panthers fan, that arrogant TD celebration not only cost 15yds, but sent the momentum over to Arizona. It basically cost the game.

I don’t give a fat rats azz how good you are or think you are, but when your arrogance cost the game, you deserve no compliments from me, and I bet you his azz got reamed by coach Rivera as well. I hope Rivera fines his azz 75k or more…

39. dtdt3535 says: Sep 11, 2011 10:07 PM

What an idiot. Pro QB’s don’t jick and jive like that. He will get his day in court with Suh or Ray Lewis. hard to act like a rookie after you have been getting paid the last 2 years.

40. tarheelpirate says: Sep 11, 2011 10:56 PM

Most of the haters didn’t even see the celebration. It was harmless and bad-ass. If he hadn’t gone to one knee, there would be no penalty. Another case of the No Fun League. However, rules are rules, and he violated a rule. I don’t agree with the rule, but he deserved the penalty, and I hope that he learns from this mistake.

41. oaktown49er says: Sep 11, 2011 11:43 PM

I could be wrong but I believe the penalty was for USING THE BALL AS A PROP. Going to one knee is fine. If he would have dropped the ball first, there would have been no flag

42. qdog112 says: Sep 12, 2011 1:01 PM

“Instead, he decided to act like an entertainer and icon”
    ———————————
    Everybody else celebrates and they, just celebrate, when Cam does it, he’s acting like an “entertainer and icon.” Keep taking your cheap shots and Cam will keep making you eat your words. Hope you’re hungry.

43. qdog112 says: Sep 12, 2011 1:02 PM

dtdt3535 says: Sep 11, 2011 10:07 PM

——————————
    Sorry he ruined your day. No I’m not.