Romo: “We lost this game because of me”

AP

Tony Romo’s gaffes will get the attention, and rightfully so. But there was a lot more to learn from the Jets’ wild 27-24 win over Dallas:

1. Dez Bryant started the game on fire, but quickly wore out. He struggled with cramps or some other undefined injury. He also appeared to run the wrong route more than once.

Bryant’s talent is obvious, but he still has to prove his conditioning and durability is top shelf.

2. Romo’s mistakes will necessarily make us forget how well he played before the fourth quarter. He threw for more than 10 yards-per-attempt against the vaunted Jets secondary. Miles Austin and Jason Witten looked healthier than last year. Both competed well.

“We win that football game if I don’t do what I did. We lost this game because of me,” Romo said.  (No argument here.)

3. It was the same old Romo and the same old Mark Sanchez. The Jets’ quarterback was shaky for much of the game, but improved after a rough start.  With that said, Sanchez didn’t finish his chances to win the game.

In the final three Jets drives, they lost a fumble, punted, and gained two yards. That last “drive” set up Nick Folks’ kick.  That somehow translated into a Jets comeback.

4. LaDainian Tomlinson was more valuable as a third down receiver than he was as a starter last year. He made a number of key plays, catching six passes for 73 yards.  We’re still waiting to see Shonn Greene look like a starter.  He rushed 10 times for 26 yards.

6. Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff just has a knack for dialing up the right punt blocks at the right moment.  It’s amazing he still pulls it off.

7. The Cowboys have serious issues in the secondary if cornerback Orlando Scandrick is out for a while.

8. DeMarcus Ware had two sacks. Linebacker Sean Lee had 12 tackles and an interception. The Cowboys defense did look improved under Rob Ryan.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

121 responses to “Romo: “We lost this game because of me”

1. Loss in garretts lap. Run 3 times after wittens catch and worst case field goal and its over. Shame on jg for calling passes. Every one will blame romo but Garrett could have won it just letting Romo handoff. Worst playcalling ever in that situation.

2. Yes Tony, you are correct.

YOU are the reason the Cowboys lost(although allowing a blocked punt didn’t help either)

Were you paid to throw that late INT? It looked very suspicious to me. Same with the fumble, it looked very, VERY planned.
    I think an investigation should be started. The late events looked so very staged.

3. Bryant was shut down once they put Revis on him thats why Miles started catching some balls. That was the key adjustment of the game.

Romo is a celebrity quarterback, not a guy you win with……

4. Dez Bryant started the game on fire, but quickly wore out. He struggled with cramps or some other undefined injury

Lebron James syndrome
    cant show up in the 4th

5. Yes, but, by extension, they lost because their genius GM (who also happens to be their owner) decided this guy was “the guy” and prematurely signed him to a 6-year deal. BIG mistake. Romo must be some dialect meaning “choker”. He did it to Parcells, then to Wade Phillips, and he’s now hosing the new Dallas HC. One wonders how many more gaffe games Jerry Jones is going to have to watch to figure out that he (Jones) screwed up and cut his losses.

6. I had to go back and see these Charlie Brown moments one more time.

I don’t care for either team personally, but something just isn’t right. The fumble, the blocked punt, the interception….. All three looked so planned, and so “convenient”

The ball comes out before going down???
    The whole line parting like the Red Sea and allowing the defender a clean, untouched shot at the punter?
    The interception thrown directly to the defender?

Something shady is going on

7. Romo reminds me of Danny White, both put up big numbers but both made dumb plays and turnovers at the worst time…Dallas will never win a championship with Romo as Dallas didn’t win a championship with Danny White….

8. I would say the Cowboys punt team deserves at least 40% of the blame. For not protecting their punter, and for screwing up would should have been a perfect punt, and turning it into a touchback.

9. I didn’t watch the 4th quarter… But I do know this. There were a lot of games I we had won until Rob Ryan’s D collapsed in the 4th quarter.

10. As a famous coach once said “the cowboys are who we thought they were”. Jerry Jones is the 2nd coming of Al Davis. Let your coaches do their job. We need to concentrate on the Cardinals. Now, that’s a Team!!

11. It’s hard to read too much into one game, particularly the first game of the year with a shortened off-season. The Jets looked fairly weak, and if Sanchez has to pass them to victory, they won’t win the division and will struggle. I didn’t think the defense looked that good either, until late (and I’ll give them credit where credit’s due, Revis was put in the right position due to a good call, and he made a good play based on his instincts). The Cowboys aren’t exactly expected to be a juggernaut in the NFC either (although if there offense is as solid as it was to start the game, I have faith that Rob Ryan can do something with that defense to give them a shot).

12. “3. It was the same old Romo and the same old Mark Sanchez. The Jets’ quarterback was shaky for much of the game, but improved after a rough start. ”
    ======================================
    Can’t agree with this. Sanchez had a very good game, was consistently hitting his receivers (in stride), and they won another big game with him under center yet again.

13. That was a pathetic choke job. Romo is like a bad poker player who builds up a big stack early in a tournament, but has no idea how to keep it and go on the win. You other card players will know what I mean.

14. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a modern sports team do so many great things and yet have it add up to so little as it is with these Cowboys. Take away about 30 seconds of specific plays in this game, and it’s a simply dominant Cowboys victory.

But that 30 seconds was pure opportunity, and the Jets seized it. The great teams almost always do.

15. We win big games. We win championships. 6 rings! Can you count!? ☺LOOOOOOSSSSEEEERRRRSSS☺

16. I like Romo. But he has been in the League long enough now to not make these kinds of mistakes that he keeps making. In short, time to grow up. Hope he does. Cowboys are not my team but I’d like to see him succeed.

17. Ima life-ling, die hard Jets fan..

And I will be the first one to say Rex talks too much..

And the first to say that Sanchez is over rated trash at QB..

But god damn that win felt good

18. yeah, Bryant had a cramp in the Revis region of one of his legs. Another WR who quits when Revis gets his hands on him.

Sanchez and Greene have to get better if the Jets want any shot at the championship

19. Part of that improvement comes from playing a Jets team that is IMO poor offensively.

Sanchez still just isn’t that good.

That RT was quite possibly the worst I’ve ever seen. He was Winston Justice at LT against the Giants bad.

Plax is older and rusty. Given time he might improve but IMO he’s still shakey right now.

Did they ever fix their LG situation from a year ago. I don’t remember that position being sound.

Mason is just old.

They’re still going to be at their best pounding the ball but the O-line didn’t seem like they could pull it off.

I still say Wade Phillips as a HC sucks but as a DC/defensive mind >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than Rex.

20. Good to see Romo owning the bad decisions, but why did Red call a pass play in the red zone when running the ball/field goal would have worked? Don’t try to be cute, just keep the ball and grind the clock.

21. Can we establish the idea to post “this will be the last story of the day” so I can go to bed and stop hitting F5? Even though I know that’s what you really want…

22. We will never, never, never, never, never ever hear or read from a losing team member or fan giving credit to the winning team.
    It is always “Our fault” that we lost not because “We were outplayed” or “The other team did better than us today.”
    Cowboys not only lost the game because of Romo but also because the Jets D made it count when it needed to.
    So thanx Romo for admitting the obvious and for continuing the tradition of not giving the credit where it’s really due.

23. Not very impressive looking teams. I guess the Ryan brothers will need to do some sole searching after this one….

24. What do you mean its amazing

Westhoff still pulls it off?? He is a hall of fame coach who dials up the right calls at the right time whenever its needed. Unless he is living in some retirement home what would you expect??

25. Sanchez is Dilfer 2.0. A little more clutch, but not as consistent (not that being consistently mediocre is any good)

26. I dont need romo to tell me he lost the game anybody who watched could point that out that fumble inside the 5 yard line then he hit revis between the numbers trying to drive down the field with less than a minute left. It reminded me of when neil o’donnell lost the superbowl for the steelers by hitting larry brown of the cowboys in the chest. Go bucs! even though they lost.

27. ” The Cowboys defense did look improved under Rob Ryan.”

If it didn’t improve they may have given up 47 points. Don’t worry that’s coming 😉

28. Why is a steelers fan commenting on this article? At least the cowboys hung with the Jets, and put on a great show. Your team on the other hand got taken to the wood shed by a team your players underestimated. Good luck with that old defense, looks like the Superbowl truly was a sign of things to come.

29. 6the6ringedsteelerslolatyouremptylittletrophycase7 says:
    Sep 12, 2011 1:21 AM

—————————————-
    big game against the ravens yest………

30. “Davo says:
    Sep 12, 2011 12:39 AM
    Do Dallas fans consider Romo as a franchise QB anymore? Just curious.”

Yes. Games like that are frustrating as hell though. Romo will get lambasted for his performance (rightfully so) but outside of 2 plays he had a damn good game. I’m sure he’ll get all the blame, but there’s plenty of it to go around (questionable playcalling by Garrett in a couple of spots, blown assignment causing the blocked punt, blown coverages by the backup DBs, penalties, etc…)

It just sucks because anybody that watched that game could clearly see who the better team was. We had that one in the bag for 50 minutes but found a way to piss it away at the end. Garrett has got to get these mental gaffes corrected.

31. “raiderlyfe510 says:
    Sep 12, 2011 12:54 AM

Like I said I didn’t see much of the 4th quarter so I dont know if that was the case this game. Wouldn’t surprise me though.”

That’s not what happened. Rob’s scheme looked good. The defense had some issues in the 4th quarter, but that was more due to the fact that we were down to our 4th and 5th string corners for much of the quarter. Special teams, penalties, and careless turnovers get the blame for this one.

32. “6the6ringedsteelerslolatyouremptylittletrophycase7 says:
    Sep 12, 2011 1:21 AM
    We win big games. We win championships. 6 rings! Can you count!? ☺LOOOOOOSSSSEEEERRRRSSS”

WE GITZ BLOWN OUT BY 4 TOUCHDOWNS AND OUR QB THROWS 3 PICKS AND HAS 2 FUMBLES BUT WE’Z STILL AWSUM!!! YAY STILLERZ!!!!

Idiot.

33. “nahcouldntbethat says:
    Sep 12, 2011 2:15 AM
    Sanchez looked fine to me given that he was playing with a turnstile at RT.”

Well, in that guy’s defense he had to go up against pretty much the best pass rusher in the game. Ware made him look stupid.

34. 6the6ringedsteelerslolatyouremptylittletrophycase7 says:Sep 12, 2011 1:21 AM

you are such a tool, I cant believe you would even open your mouth about the steelers. They got dominated yesterday so bad. What BIG BEN had like 9 turnovers?

This Cowboys team will be just fine down the road. Yes that made some mistakes, but they also so alot of improvement from last year. I give the DEF alot of credit playing short handed in the Secondary. Cowboys keep your head up its a long season. Also be careful in what you ask for in Kitna.

35. Romo is just a choke, always has been and will continue to be. Great fun watching the pukes implode, especially when they had a W in their grasp.

36. Romo: “We lost this game because of me, again”

There, fixed the headline for you.

Romo just doesn’t seem to have what it takes to come through under pressure. How much longer do you let him have the keys to the franchise?

37. Further proof that melonhead and Vox Veritas are the same guy: 59 comments and counting in a Cowboys article, and not one comment from melonhead after a Cowboys loss.

38. herlies says: Sep 12, 2011 12:33 AM

8. Mark Sanchez and tony Romo are both highly overrated.

——————-
    The difference is that Romo does things to lose games, while Sanchez somehow manages to do the things that win games. How many playoff games has Romo won?

39. The ‘boys handed the game to the Jets – who seem like they’ve grown complacent

… but I guess that’s to be expected since they think they’ve already been declared winners of the 2012 Super Bowl.

40. Parts of the game looked out of synch for Dallas. Garrett is not the offensive guru Jerryis hoping for. One play was not the whole story.

41. But people will trip over themselves to call McNabb “classy” and Romo a pretty boy.

For my money, Romo has shown more accountability and leadership in his career than McNabb ever has.

Notice how McNabb used the term “we” yesterday..because they lost.

42. D looked good frOm Dallas compared to last year. Just hope we can keep our corners healthy. Not worried about Romo, I counted on that game being a loss regardless.

43. iknowitallandmore says:
    Sep 12, 2011 12:40 AM

===============================

I suppose it’s appropriate, on 9/11, that we appear to have our very own PFT “Truther.”

44. drgfri says:

“I guess the Ryan brothers will need to do some sole searching after this one….”

I don’t care who you are….that there is FUNNY!

45. Jason Garrett is making horrible decisions on play calling. Period. Secondly, D.Bryant should have been taken out of the game for that ‘Randy Moss’ like 4th quarter laziness. And finally, what about all the penalties we are not talking about here. Just a sheer lack of concentration on the Cowboys.

46. At some point you have to look at the coaches and the playcalling. If you know you have a QB who wets his pants when the pressure is on then why are you calling a play that has him throwing to the sidelines and anywhere near Derrell Revis??

47. Headline says it all. Has yet to prove that he can handle pressure or come through in the clutch. As Romo goes, so go the Cowboys.

48. 3. It was the same old Romo and the same old Mark Sanchez. The Jets’ quarterback was shaky for much of the game, but improved after a rough start. With that said, Sanchez didn’t finish his chances to win the game.

Jets only rushed for 45 yards, and the cowboys were getting constant preassure in his face the whole first half.

I’m no expert like you, but when the Jets went to the no-huddle, and minimized the cowboys pass rush, the offense picked up! Maybe there is some correlation there..

49. oh and BTW, the jets did make a 50 yd field goal with 20 seconds left to WIN THE GAME. but I guess every PFT reader can do that, so they shouldn’t get any credit for that..

50. First post didn’t show up so sorry if this is more of the same.

Jets need to worry about the O line, running game, and below average defensive effort before they worry about Sanchez. Despite running for his life most of the game, I thought Sanchez was pretty solid.

51. This is Romo’s shtick. He’s way too much like Favre to not kill his team at critical points of the game. Be it a botched FG attempt, a botched screen pass against the hapless skins last year or a boneheaded attempt to score on 3rd-and-short yesterday; or an interception to Revis Island. This is what Tony Romo does.

52. toonsterwu says:
    Sep 12, 2011 1:00 AM

—————————————————-

Dallas would have killed the Eagles yesterday. Ware would have sacked Vick 4 times. The Eagles will have to fight and scrape. Boys defense looked good. If Jenkins and Scandrick don’t get hurt, than that game ends with the Jets only scoring 10.

53. I’m telling it has to do with luck. The jets are the luckiest team around. Even the announcer said it. Usually a team fumbles 50/50 whether they recover or lose it. Announcer said with the jets 70 percent they recover the ball. That’s called pure luck!! At some point it’ll run out but not sure what kind of vodooo rex ryan pullls that he gets lucky every year.

54. cowboys looked mediocre.
    They play like a bunch of divas. the only guy i’d want on that team is DWare and Miles Austin. Those two play with passion. Everyone else is really talented but don’t play with heart.

Romo has a lot of heart just no brains

55. Yes – Romo played very poorly.

But…. agreed on the Whitten thing too… how does he not turn into towards the CENTER of the field and stiff arm and/or lower a shoulder????

He runs towards the sideline??? …and guarantee’s he won’t make the touchdown. What’s up with that?

Great catches Jason, but take off the skirt next time and man up when it’s all on the line.

56. Another vivid memory in the Tony Choke story. My favorite was when he he pulled a Charlie Brown in the playoff game against Seattle.

57. You people with the “LOLZ” and the rejoicing in another person’s mistakes, you’re really pathetic, you know? It would be sad enough if it was just that so much of your personal identity was caught up in your own team winning, but when it is some other team losing, that’s just… I can’t come up with a better word than “pathetic”.

I’m a football fan. I want to see my team win. But I want to see them WIN, not see the other team hand it to them on a platter. What a small, small world you live in.

Enjoy your schadenfreude.

58. Tony Romo has all the physical tools, but as usual that is not what determines a succesful QB. He is not good at defenses. They confuse him and he has a tendeency to panic. He gets away with alot by having talented receivers who win fights for the balls that he tosses up.

59. the announcers didn’t say but i kept thinking, why did witten angle toward the sideline on his big catch? sure he would have been hit at about the 5 instead of the 3, but his size and momentum (and momentum of the tackler) would have carried him into the endzone. with a td on that possession the cowboys win.

60. GREAT START TO THE SEASON, better to win, but frankly I thought Dallas would just get blown off the field with all the injuries, new schemes, lack of time to memorize those schemes let alone practice them, and get the offense in total psych, and yep, some of the guys tired out! SAN FRANCISCO nest, if this teams mentality can be controled, DALLAS SHOULD CRRUSH THEMM!!! Sanchez is a lucky QB

61. toonsterwu says:
    Sep 12, 2011 1:00 AM
    “It’s hard to read too much into one game…”

“The Eagles look to be in the pole position in the NFC East, but it’s going to be a dogfight to sort out the rest of the division.”

———

While it may be hard to read too much into one game, you’ve done an excellent job! Jeez. You actually think, based on yesterday’s performances, the Eagles are in the “pole” position in the division? It’s way too early to say that with any level of certainty, even if you’re the biggest homer. Eagles may have won a game but based on each team’s performances yesterday, I think the Cowboys would’ve handled the Eagles yesterday. Ware and Witten are beasts. Austin’s TD catch, epic. Jones on the screens.

And dude, I’m an Eagles fan. Yes, the Birds can be happy with the “W” and several aspects of the team’s play but there’s a lot of room for improvement. I do like the Eagles’ chance in the division but it’s not going to be easy.

62. 5. Plaxico Burress didn’t have a catch until the fourth quarter, but he beat up on the Cowboys backups for four catches, 72 yards and a score down the stretch.
    ——————————————————

Exactly, for everyone saying Plax is back – he didn’t show up until he was going against nickle and dime backs.

63. I wonder if we will get another “If this is the worst that can happen to me, I’ve lived a great life” comment from Romo. As they say in Texas, “all hat, no cattle.” Romo being Romo is not acceptable anymore.

64. “danderoo says: Sep 12, 2011 1:25 PM

I wonder if we will get another “If this is the worst that can happen to me, I’ve lived a great life” comment from Romo. As they say in Texas, “all hat, no cattle.” Romo being Romo is not acceptable anymore.”

Actually only NY politicians say that when they are campaigning in Texas…

But, I agree with you on Romo’s attitude. As long as he’s making money and getting his photo in the fashion/gossip magazines he doesn’t care about winning or losing football games.

65. 6the6ringedsteelerslolatyouremptylittletrophycase7 says: Sep 12, 2011 1:21 AM

—————————————

I guess “Opening day vs. the Ravens” doesn’t count as a big game, huh?

66. ok watching that Jets v Dallas fiasco has me convinced that the NFL is about as upstanding as professional wrestling.
    The “blocked kick” – defensive line opened like the Nile opened at Moses command
    The interception to Rivers was also BS Romo had time and balance and lofted it to Rivers.
    NY on 9-11-2011 – one of the largest markets in the nation – “Thriller game again” just does not cut it. If you believe that game was on the up and up I have a nice bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Too many times this happens based on the teams “market share” wake up America this is the Coporate world handing us bs again

67. It couldn’t have happened to three nicer guys than Tony Romo, Dez Bryant and Rob Ryan. After the game was over, Ryan reminded me of Tom Coughlin after his punter gave DeSean Jackson and the Eagles the game last year. Gee, this was so good that I even forgot to mention Jerry Jones in my “congratulations” LOL