Eli Manning literally tunes out critics

New York Giants v Washington Redskins Getty Images

Anyone that lived through NFL Network’s tandem of Joe Theismann and Matt Millen are familiar with the strategy of watching football with the volume turned down.

It’s a strategy Eli Manning uses no matter what broadcast team is covering the game.

“It’s gotten to the point now where, when I watch football . . . I just mute the television,” Manning said Monday via Bob Glauber of Newsday. “It’s just more enjoyable for me, just because I like to watch and make my own opinions. It makes me more mad when the guy’s saying something and he’s totally wrong.”

The strategy comes in handy during tough times for the Giants. After a torrent of injuries this preseason and an opening week loss to Washington, the negativity in New York has picked up.

“You can’t sit there and watch every television show and read every paper. That’s not going to help the cause,” Manning said.

Eli does agree with one media observation.  The Giants need to figure out what they do well.  The team’s re-formed offensive line showed promise at times, but the running game never got off the ground.  Manning didn’t seem to know where to throw on third downs.

“You have to figure out exactly what’s going to be our style and how we’re going to be successful,” he said.

Manning will try to figure it out on Monday night against the Rams in a matchup of teams trying to avoid 0-2 starts.

Permalink 60 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
60 Responses to “Eli Manning literally tunes out critics”
  1. 6the6ringedsteelerslolatyouremptylittletrophycase7 says: Sep 13, 2011 2:37 PM

LOLOLOLOLZ!!! ☺☺☺☺☺☺

2. notrelated says: Sep 13, 2011 2:39 PM

Unless it’s Albert, Moose, and Goose… sound is muted or off.

3. djbleedthestar says: Sep 13, 2011 2:40 PM

I mute the games when Troy Aikman commentates especially when its the cowboys games

4. kevinfromphilly says: Sep 13, 2011 2:42 PM

I don’t care how many injuries they have. If they lose to the Rams without Steven Jackson, they’re cooked.

5. lmoneyfresh says: Sep 13, 2011 2:44 PM

You could add Dilfer into the category of commentators who need to be muted. The fact that the mothership treats the guy like a QB god points to just how clueless they really are. Between him and Gruden, they wouldn’t know a good quarterback if he punched them in the face.

6. turk2875 says: Sep 13, 2011 2:44 PM

I kinda do something like that. When I watch Eagles games I listen to Merrill Reese through the radio, instead the god-awful commentators on Fox

7. sirsupersouthern says: Sep 13, 2011 2:48 PM

I’ve been watching games on mute for years now. Sooooooooo much better…

8. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Sep 13, 2011 2:49 PM

and here i thought i was the only one who thought theismann was a tool.

9. kokoskmr says: Sep 13, 2011 2:49 PM

Also whistling past the graveyard

10. typicaleaglesfan says: Sep 13, 2011 2:50 PM

Translation: I can’t take everyone telling me how terrible I play. I’m awful I know I’m awful I just need to figure out how to call myself elite in spite of throwing so many interceptions at key moments in games.

11. favreforever says: Sep 13, 2011 2:50 PM

The same strategy we’ve been using while watching PFT Live. Since it’s inception.

12. waitingguilty says: Sep 13, 2011 2:50 PM

Unfortunately for Giants fans, it appears he has also tuned out his QB coach, Offensive Coordinator and WRs.

13. golonger says: Sep 13, 2011 2:54 PM

that’s good…he certainly has tuned out his offense!

14. wheresmyjuice says: Sep 13, 2011 2:57 PM

He’s right. There’s nothing worse then hearing “experts” on tv making completely ignorant conclusions without any basis in fact nor logic.

15. materialman80 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:00 PM

Eli better be thick skinned, because the Giants suck.

16. 619boltz says: Sep 13, 2011 3:05 PM

Look @ Eli face …its a mute.

17. tom35mt says: Sep 13, 2011 3:07 PM

I dont mute games because i like the crowd noise,
    sunday ticket should give you the option to mute the commentaters only, and leave only the sound from the game

18. ebenezergrymm says: Sep 13, 2011 3:08 PM

Eli Manning can’t hear you over the sound of the interceptions he’s throwing.

19. choisbois says: Sep 13, 2011 3:09 PM

Not a lot of Eli hate here. The Romo thread is way worse. Why is that? Yes Eli has a ring but it’s not like he was on the d-line and responsible for that championship.

20. kliplee says: Sep 13, 2011 3:10 PM

i cant possibly be the only person that likes joe buck and troy aikman right?

joe buck is the voice of fox

21. 4512dawg4512 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:18 PM

Joe Buck makes watching a football game comparable to watching Bob Ross paint a big happy mountain

22. phelbin says: Sep 13, 2011 3:20 PM

Bad commentators get assigned to the bad games. Trust me, I’m a 49ers fan. We’ve had nothing but crappy commentators for ten years now.

I don’t mute it, but I turn the sound down so I can kind of hear the crowd/hits but can’t really understand the commentators.

23. wferg1121 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:23 PM

4 drops this past game, so that means 1 out of 8 of his pass attempts were dropped, that does not factor in the wrong route that was run by Manningham, and a failed cut block that shows up as an interception. If you guys checked out ESPNQB rating which takes into account drops, Eli was ranked # 7 last year, and #8th the year before. 1 out of 13 attempts last year to TE/WR were dropped. Giants #8 worst in drops last year. In 2008 no one remembers that Hixon dropped 1 touchdown in each Eagle game? Eli is underrated and although good the WR/TE’s does drop a lot of balls. Also Tom Coughlin to me looks like he was set up to fail, I feel they played hardball with Smith/Boss and had no back up plan, no effort to restructure contracts at all. Hopefully they will not be doing the same thing to Terrell Thomas, and Manningham who are free agents at the end of this year. Everyone screaming for Cowher forgets he had Dick Labeau, and you see what they have still been doing in Pittsburg..

24. your6ringsaremeaninglessnow says: Sep 13, 2011 3:24 PM

I wish Chris Myers was born mute.

25. bleed4philly says: Sep 13, 2011 3:25 PM

Sheli might as well tune out reality.

26. rugdaniels says: Sep 13, 2011 3:28 PM

Phil Simms always has nice things to say about heem.

27. cliverush says: Sep 13, 2011 3:30 PM

Tom35mt has it right. Field mikes only, this will contribute the game experience of the fans, players, coaches and refs. Keep the “in booth” chatter to an absolute minimum, such as for cases in which an injury report is released.

28. greymares says: Sep 13, 2011 3:32 PM

Iprefer to watch the TV while listening to the radio broadcast, it’s a whole new experience. try it.

29. xli2006 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:41 PM

A large % of Modern Media/Blogs/Critics are garbage.

“Everybody is talking, but nobody is saying anything” about sums up Sports Journalism. Gotta fill the 24 Cycle, no matter if you have a story or not.

I wish you could mute most so-called “journalists” as well. Just because you slap on a keyboard and it goes on a blog or site, doesn’t make you are journalist.

30. mikemccarthyisfat says: Sep 13, 2011 3:44 PM

tv = mute
    radio = PA.

DOHK

31. somekat says: Sep 13, 2011 3:45 PM

Joe Buck is terrible. He is Troy Aikman for LA instead of for the Cowboys (blatantly roots for all LA teams, the 2 Phils v Dodgers series a few years back were ridiculous. He got all excited and talked about how it was “the start of something” every time the dodgers did anything, and literally sounded like he was in pain when the Phils did something). Besides the fact that he is about as entertaining as drying paint

32. somekat says: Sep 13, 2011 3:49 PM

Oh, and lol@wferg. “eli is underrated”, the guy has a LOT of problems, being underrated is not one of them. This loser has been overrated since he hit the league (drafted first overall, when he wasn’t even a top 2 QB in his draft), and every day since. He is an average, run of the mill QB. If the rest of your team is strong enough, you can win with him. If he is expected to be a catalyst to bring in the W’s, you may as well chalk up those L’s before the season starts. He is somewhere between Trent Dilfer, and Boomer Esiason. Basically, he is Bobby Herbert with a better team around him

33. mikerol124 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:49 PM

How long before we have an option to watch a broadcast with commentators or a choice of live sideline audio?

34. niceh11 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:58 PM

Lol @ somekat. If he’s average, then why was he rated higher than Rivers and Roethlisberger in Espn’s TOTAL quarterback rating? 7th in the league bud..super bowl mvp bud. Eat it, bud.

35. moondog7 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:59 PM

Most tv commentators are pretty bad these days in the NFL. I wonder why they don’t follow the other sports and have a home announcer for each team. I know all teams have that for radio and that is much more enjoyable then the network tv guys.

36. bossplayer213 says: Sep 13, 2011 4:05 PM

mikerol124 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:49 PM

———————-

Live sideline audio? Yeah, that’s not going to happen.

37. nflofficeadmin says: Sep 13, 2011 4:05 PM

This Manning kid is THIN skinned. He’s basically saying that the can’t listen to the commentators anymore.

This kid was coddled from young age and was always given a pass because of his daddy and his overachieving big brother. But his performance as of late doesn’t stand on its own to feet.

Eli if you want to change what people are saying about your play, play better.

38. ipeefreelyagain says: Sep 13, 2011 4:27 PM

Don’t be fooled by reading the comments from those who mute the game and use audio from the radio.

Like many, the commentators often annoy me. But whats even more annoying is the 3 to 5 second delay between the Radio broadcast and the Television.

Sooo, unless you want to HEAR the play before you actually WATCH it happen, that can be more frustrating than listening to Joe Bucks attempt at humor.

Good strategy for IN-Stadium experience, bad for IN-Home experience (unfortunately).

39. blitzthepig says: Sep 13, 2011 4:28 PM

To bad Eli has Kevin Gilbride as his oc. He’s awful. I’d bet with a better OC he be so more confident. Next year I guess.
    Since Cowher dumped Gilbride in Pitt he won’t be around next year!

40. welzy says: Sep 13, 2011 4:31 PM

What I always held against Eli is the fact that he refused to play for the team that drafted him. I find that to be pretty much the biggest chickenshoot move a college player in the NFL draft can make. (See Elway, John)

41. welzy says: Sep 13, 2011 4:33 PM

Tho the expression on Eli’s face when San Diego drafted him anyways was priceless!

42. drbrown7451 says: Sep 13, 2011 4:36 PM

Grow up Eli! Time to realize that you are not the QB that your brother has been. Too many mistakes, too many errors. Good thing that you have some commercials that can bring in some income right now. May not have much of that in the future.

Eli Manning – another also-so-ran poser.

43. philaeagles31 says: Sep 13, 2011 4:39 PM

I hated Aikman the player, but I like Aikman the announcer.

44. dspohn55 says: Sep 13, 2011 4:58 PM

Since Cowher dumped Gilbride in Pitt he won’t be around next year!

————————————————————-

WTH are you talking about? Kevin Gilbride, the same OC who designed a perfect, ball control game plan and final drive to dethrone the undefeated Patriots in the Super Bowl a few years ago

45. 11inthebox says: Sep 13, 2011 5:15 PM

@drbrown7451 who says:
    Eli Manning – another also-so-ran poser.
    ———————————————–
    Okay, so we all know the obvious. Eli Manning is Super Bowl MVP.

My question is: does calling a Super Bowl MVP an “also ran poser” make you feel better…..about anything?

Just curious.

46. 4whateva says: Sep 13, 2011 5:18 PM

Kick the speakers in, and throw away the volume button, cuz its gonna be a loooong season!!!

47. humptyfratz says: Sep 13, 2011 5:50 PM

Joe Buck is a nice enough guy, but an annoying announcer. You could have drinking games based on his catch phrases, which he reliably trots out EVERY SINGLE FLIPPIN’ GAME, like my all-time favorite “It all depends on the spot.”

REALLY, Joe? Gosh, that never occurred to me…

Who knew that whether or not the team got a first down depended on the spot of the ball? Somebody call the Nobel committee, quick!

48. learysdisciples says: Sep 13, 2011 5:59 PM

How about some non love for Jim Nantz? The guy has permenany stains on his knees from constantly blowing Peyton Manning, Ben and Brady in all their might and glory. The guy sucks more than one of Ben’s “dates”.

49. 989lions says: Sep 13, 2011 6:07 PM

Believe me having Millen run your franchise doesnt begin to compare to having him announce football games…I wouldve gladly put up with him on MNF for another year to see the reception he wouldve gotten in detroit this year…

50. 989lions says: Sep 13, 2011 6:10 PM

@niceh11 hey, bud, stop saying, bud, bud…its annoying

51. naeem42 says: Sep 13, 2011 6:20 PM

I may be missing something here, but I don’t understand how Manning watching NFL games muted translates to him being too thin skinned to listen to critics. Unless he’s watching the broadcast of the game he just played, and I seriously doubt that, his name wouldn’t come up too often. He might be thin skinned, but this info doesn’t do anything to illustrate that.

52. hazebronso says: Sep 13, 2011 6:30 PM

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again …
    You have to build recievers around a QB’s strength

I’m a giants fan through and through, and i’ve always felt that Plaxico made Eli a Elite QB …
    It was Plaxicos size that helped Eli the most – Eli has a propensity to throw sailing balls.
    Plaxico is the master of dealing with floaters.

It really hurt my feelings that the Giants (Eli) didn’t consider bringing Plaxico back into the fold.

It’s Eli’s ego that kept him from opening is arms to a Plaxico return … (remember that before the Giants recent S Bowl run there were rumblings about who really was the leader of the offense)
    Eli never wanted to admit that Burress actuall made him a better QB.

53. stanklepoot says: Sep 13, 2011 7:04 PM

wferg1121 says: Sep 13, 2011 3:23 PM

________________________
    yes, and if you had watched or listened to Mike and Mike this morning when they read the breakdown of Brady’s TQBR, then you’d realize just how subjective the measurement is. For instance, Brady’s 99 yd TD pass to Welker was discounted because the teams weren’t tied at the time. The game was still well within reach at the point, and the Pats were on their own 1 yd line, but the play was considered to be less important than other plays that week despite the fact that this was the play that pretty much sealed the win for the Pats. Take a look at these TQBR ratings and you’ll notice a stark reality: the ratings tend to favor the QBs that the analysts favor. That’s why any real rating removes subjective evaluations from the equation. If you don’t, then the results tend to end up the way the analysts tell you they will before the game, regardless of what happens during the game.

P.S. Any QB rating that claims that Eli was the 7th best QB last season is fundamentally flawed. I’m so tired of hearing all the excuses about how so many of his picks were because of tipped passes. The same is true for many QBs, but since they’re not media darlings no one gives them the same benefit of the doubt. I’m not a Bears fan, but when you look at Cutler’s horrific INT numbers his first year in Chicago, at least half could be explained by bad routes run or cut off unexpectedly by his receivers, or receivers failing to fight for the ball. Analysts jumped all over him for all of those picks however. If you’re going to nail one QB for picks that might not have really been his fault, then all QBs are responsible for all of their picks.

54. sadskinsfan89 says: Sep 13, 2011 7:08 PM

Was at the skins game and the giants fans wer as confident as manning was that he was a self proclaimed elite quarterback. Loved how the skins d shut this team up. HAIL

55. redbeardxxv says: Sep 13, 2011 7:10 PM

typicaleaglesfan says:
    BLAH BLAH BLAH
    ———————————————
    It kills me to have to defend Eli Manning, but he is still walking around with one more ring than the Eagles have managed in over 40 years. The Down Syndromed offspring of a lousy Saints QB is laughing at your franchise.

56. damnskins703 says: Sep 13, 2011 7:29 PM

Gus Johnson I will never mute… He can make a game between Oakland and the chiefs an exciting game no doubt he is the best commentator in sports

57. typicaleaglesfan says: Sep 13, 2011 8:01 PM

Oh yeah because accomplishments of five years ago are so critical to the discussion at hand. Eli sucks period. He has the same amount of hardware as Trent Dilfer. When they won I gave the giants their props. Since plaxico was arrested Eli hasn’t had a receiver he can over throw by 3 feet that can catch the ball. I’m sure he’s a nice guy and all that but he is a mediocre qb with a legendary last name. The eagles beat the giants both times last year because Eli turned the ball over. But hey we can talk about how good he played for a six game stretch five years ago and how his defense won him the game anytime you want.

58. jnbnet says: Sep 13, 2011 8:35 PM

tom35mt says:
    Sep 13, 2011 3:07 PM
    I dont mute games because i like the crowd noise,

=================================
    I agree, it would be so awesome if we could just tune out the commentaters….even the home-boy anouncers are too much to take. I do like hearing the crowd and the field sounds.

59. kurb21 says: Sep 13, 2011 8:57 PM

If his last name was “Kotter” or “Johnson” he would have been a 5th round pick. Bottom line.

Everyday he should thank the heavens that he has his name and that David Tyree pulled a rabbit out of his hat against Rodney Harrison..

60. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 13, 2011 11:11 PM

notrelated says: Sep 13, 2011 2:39 PM

Unless it’s Albert, Moose, and Goose… sound is muted or off.
    ——–

Daryl Johnston hates the Giants. I am glad that I am at the bar when he’s calling our games, just as I was Sunday when those clowns who are the biggest Giants haters out there were calling the game.