Terrence Cody trims down, steps up

Baltimore Ravens v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

The Ravens had sufficient confidence in second-year defensive tackle Terrence Cody to send veteran Kelly Gregg packing.  So far, Cody has given them no reason to regret the move.

Tom Worgo of CSNBaltimore.com reports that Cody, who weighed anywhere from 375 to 400 pounds as a rookie, has gotten down to 335.

“I was out of shape and overweight,” Cody said.  “That’s what kind of slowed me down.”

His partner at defensive tackle has noticed.

“He is definitely a different player than last year,” Ngata said.  “He has better technique.  You are seeing that.  He ended last year on such a great note.  Once he gets going this year and gets more experience under his belt, he can do a lot of good things.”

Motivating Cody was a comment from G.M. Ozzie Newsome that Cody could have a breakout year.

“I was told about them,” Cody said.  “It was like a big wake-up call.  Everybody is really counting on me.  That was a motivator to be ready to play.”

If Cody can become a great player, he and Ngata could become the premiere one-two punch in the league.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Terrence Cody trims down, steps up”
  1. ravenator says: Sep 13, 2011 10:10 PM

There’s a new sheriff in the AFCN, believe it!

2. the Gimp says: Sep 13, 2011 10:11 PM

Nice to see a young guy realize he’s part of a team and step up. Dlines and Olines really need to play as a unit, you can’t be on an island and have success in the trenches.

3. rayriceisnice says: Sep 13, 2011 10:13 PM

Oh Mt.Cody and Ngata, plus Pernell McPhee….your looking at a defensive line that will haunt the dreams of teams for years to come. We need Sergio out there getting experience with Suggs and Ray Ray. Plain and Simple, this is the number one defense in the NFL right now. And trolls, keep ya mouth shut cause you can’t argue 7 turn overs in one game against the defending AFC champs, and jets fans, you should of lost your came against Dallas. keep it up Cody! Your gonna be a monstahhhhhhhh

4. rayriceisnice says: Sep 13, 2011 10:20 PM

@ ravenator

We look so beast! I love that pagano has restored the ferocity back into our D, it’s been a long time coming! Get ready NFL! We finally have an offense and a top defense!!!

Go Ravens

5. ravenboy4lyfe says: Sep 13, 2011 10:29 PM

The next sam adams and the goose I feel a superbowl this year

6. stillerborn says: Sep 13, 2011 10:41 PM

Six rings is late. He
    must be busy ‘servicing’ his clients at the I-70 Dallas Pike truck stop. Or his mom needs a ‘massage’.

7. green41563 says: Sep 13, 2011 10:48 PM

Never understood what sense there was in losing weight, seeing as how being morbidly obese seems to be a prerequisite for any great NT.

8. talkintrashallday says: Sep 13, 2011 10:49 PM

“I was out of shape and overweight,” ….LMAO YOU STILL ARE!!!!!!!!

9. billionsvsmillions says: Sep 13, 2011 10:52 PM

Calm down Raven, it’s week one. IM a Stiller die hard even I know how to be honest with my football eyes,… Packers vs Pats in the super bowl. Ravens will run down, injuries will cost them, and Steelers… well… my beloved Steelers cannot stop the pass. PAckers vs Pats in the super bowl… believe it, mark it down.

10. kingmj4891 says: Sep 13, 2011 11:00 PM

Just wait Suh and Fairley will be way better the Ngata and Cody just wait and see.

11. favreforever says: Sep 13, 2011 11:02 PM

Unlike his distant relative Buffalo Bill, Tyrannosaurus Terrence Cody ate all the game he killed.

12. billionsvsmillions says: Sep 13, 2011 11:06 PM

The Baltimore Browns will fail AGAIN. Trust me.

13. billionsvsmillions says: Sep 13, 2011 11:10 PM

14. Mike Tomlin says: Sep 13, 2011 11:23 PM

Funny that an article that makes not a mention of the Steelers still has Ravens fans commenting about their big brothers.

Good win, but remember, a week 1 win at home does not win a division, playoff game, or Super Bowl. You’re supposed to win those, stupid.

15. rayriceisnice says: Sep 13, 2011 11:24 PM

@ billions

Awww sounds like someone’s a little sore from that ass beating, could you do everyone a favor and stop the act, you know nothing about football, you sound like a 15 year old when you comment, I have an idea! Go comment on Willies Torn Colon! Were discussing the future of this defense over here. And it’s bright, and big!

16. Mike Tomlin says: Sep 13, 2011 11:25 PM

And if you haven’t figured out that that fool with the 6ringsblahblahblah username is not a Steelers fan but a Steelers hater trying to give Steelers fans a bad name you’re more ignorant than he is. Stop falling for it…

17. bostonbias says: Sep 13, 2011 11:31 PM

Just hoping that Ravens get what they deserve losing again the playoffs.

I have know a lot of people that lived there, and for my money there is no more classless group of people that in Baltimore.

18. beargonephishing says: Sep 13, 2011 11:32 PM

>PAckers vs Pats in the super bowl

Difference between Pats and Packers is that the Packers have a defense. Chad freeking Henne put up 416 Yds with a passer rating of 93.6 against the Pats.

Worse, when the Patriots no-huddle offense doesn’t work, they put their defense back on the field with very little rest.

Patriots might do well during the regular season but they have too many holes to go far in the playoffs.

19. bmorethansteel says: Sep 13, 2011 11:42 PM

Wow, you can read the future? How do you do that? Please, do tell.

20. dawkattack says: Sep 13, 2011 11:49 PM

Went From Mount Cody To Hill Cody

21. bmorethansteel says: Sep 13, 2011 11:52 PM

“Look for my name writting a comment about your Baltimore Browns come the end of Dec, write my name down. IM sure the article I will comment under will say something to the affect, Ravens, Dead birds once again, maybe next year. I predict Lewis to be hurt by week 6, Reed will be gone by week 7, and Rice will be banged up for the rest of the year when it matters.”

Are you working in Vegas making money on picks? You obviously know everything! I’d love to know your secrets. I’m trying to place a bet on the Super Bowl in 2022, can you give me some advice? Thanks!

Oh wait, nevermind I just met someone who knows what they’re talking about.

If I want to know about cars, I don’t ask used car salesmen. Understand Nostradmus?

22. iamthefootballjerk says: Sep 14, 2011 12:01 AM

@billionsvsmillions says:

———————————————–

When are you idiots going to realize that the fans don’t play these games? Do you really think the players care about this crap. Fans talk trash, players play. Whether you’re mouthing off now, in December, or in April during the draft, it does NOT matter.

23. nevermore52 says: Sep 14, 2011 12:14 AM

LMFAO Steeler fans are pretty fairweather and bitter to begin with, but add an extra special ass kicking of an opener to that, and it’s gettin pretty comical! Week 9, Squealer brethren. You’ll have your 2nd chance. The question is; Do you really WANNA see us again!? PLAY LIKE A RAVEN.

24. rwjk says: Sep 14, 2011 12:16 AM

Hey thanks for the predictions clown dik. I guess I don’t have to watch football this season since I can trust you. Did you use the crystal ball or you go back to the future? Or do you just hate on our hard knocking squad? And nice on the baltimore brown comment. You made a funny. You’re so clever.

25. nevermore52 says: Sep 14, 2011 12:24 AM

@billionsvsmillions:

I hear you over there with all that ill-wishing injury nonsense. Seems to me that the yellow and black are already down a mediocre starting O-lineman for the season due to Sunday’s beatdown. Go somewhere with all that. Besides, Ray doesn’t have time to get hurt. He’s too busy pickin off ducks from your QB and makin your brittle RB fumble. He’s a machine, jerk. Check the game highlights again. If you can without crying. :-)

26. nevermore52 says: Sep 14, 2011 12:31 AM

I must admit though, I do feel pretty sorry for the Seattle Seahawks coming into Heinz Field on Sunday. Needless to say; I won’t be starting Tarvaris Jackson in my fantasy league this upcoming week.

27. mwcarolina says: Sep 14, 2011 1:31 AM

———————————————————-
    well i wont say Suh is better than Ngata, Ngata is a great player like Suh. As for Fairley and Cody, time will tell. honestly, when Fairley is healthy, i like him. Cody needs to prove to me that he wont be out for 65% of the plays like he was in college, if he is true to his word than he will be a great one to have.

28. BTC says: Sep 14, 2011 1:59 AM

billionsvsmillions has no life whatsoever.

29. mistersmith22 says: Sep 14, 2011 3:00 AM

I’m a horrible Ravens homer and even I can’t buy that Cody and Ngata would be more disruptive than Suh and Fairley. Close, maybe, but DET may have something really special there.

billions, you want to call the Ravens the Browns, go for it, but I assume you still have the Cardinals in St. Louis, the Rams in LA, and Peyton Manning is a Baltimore Colt?

30. steeltownpride says: Sep 14, 2011 5:53 AM

One win makes the season . Makes the Ravens the best team in the NFL since the 72 dolphins and 07 Patriots . Congrats on winning the SB week one . You made history cause its never been done before .

31. jagerbmb says: Sep 14, 2011 6:44 AM

Does this mean he doesn’t have to wear a bra anymore?

32. flabtreesports says: Sep 14, 2011 6:56 AM

I’m sure billionsvsmillions will get around to telling us who his team happens to be as soon as we pinky promise to look for his name “writting a comment” in December. I’ll oblige, but only if you figure out how to use a comma in the next 3 months.

33. mswravens says: Sep 14, 2011 7:04 AM

I was absolutely thrilled when we drafted this guy (nice ‘Bama kid, huh Deb?), because I loved the options it gave us with Ngata…and I’m thrilled to see him coming into his own…and don’t want to steal his thunder, BUT, remember the name Pernell McPhee. 5th round pick who spelled Cody quite a bit when Ravens went ahead & Pitt was forced to pass more. McPhee is a pass rusher, and I suspect you will be hearing LOTS about him in years to come. 5th round rookie & he got a ton of playing time, because his play forced his way onto the field. It is just one game. I suspect Sunday will provide some humble pie for us (we’ll win, but I don’t think we’ll deliver another resounding knockout). So lets not get ahead of ourselves…but the future potential with our young offense to boot looks incredibly bright!!!

34. flabtreesports says: Sep 14, 2011 7:14 AM

billionsvsmillions says:
    Calm down Raven, it’s week one. IM a Stiller die hard…

Oh, there it is. Shocker.

35. bleedpurplenblack says: Sep 14, 2011 7:14 AM

billionsvsmillions is done ranting for the morning.

The school bus just picked him up.

36. jimmymcnultysbottleofjameson says: Sep 14, 2011 8:18 AM

Ahh yes, the young guns. For all of you that think that our D is getting old just let us introduce to you Mt. Cody, McPhee, Kindle and Kruger. And that’s just our front. Not to mention the years left on Sizzle. Ray and Ed are the only fellas leaving any time soon, and they’re both just breeding pro bowlers behind them, better get used to total domination.

37. schmitty2 says: Sep 14, 2011 9:46 AM

nevermore52 says:
    Sep 14, 2011 12:31 AM

If you would think of starting Jackson in any week you might want to think about not playing Fantasy football. Just saying….

38. ppdoc13 says: Sep 14, 2011 10:03 AM

@billions – as if we give a flying f–k at a rolling donut what you think or say.

@ steeltownpride. One game does not a season make but if I were u I would be more worried about how old and impotent my defense looked than what we ravens fans r saying

39. thephantomstranger says: Sep 14, 2011 11:49 AM

Does he use a “mansiere” or a “bro”?

40. nevermore52 says: Sep 14, 2011 5:19 PM

@bostonbias

For my money; The most uptight sports snobs are in Boston. Judge the team, not the city. That is the definition of classlessness, which, based on your comment, also makes you a hypocrite of the highest order. Chew on that brother. I bet it tastes good. :-)