Coming to an NFL stadium near you: “Enhanced” pat downs

Sept 11 Sports Security Football AP

Fresh off Sunday night’s taser-fueled fan violence at Metlife Stadium in New Jersey, the NFL will conduct pat downs from the ankles up this season.

In the past, the pat downs went from the waist up.

“The enhanced security procedures recommended by our office before the start of the season will further increase the safety of fans but will require some additional time,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told USA T0day in a statement Thursday. “We encourage fans to come early, enjoy their tailgating tradition, and be patient as they enter the stadium.”

Apparently the league started this policy before the season started.  Either some teams didn’t listen, or it just wasn’t especially effective in New Jersey.

The Bills warn their fans to expect longer lines on their website because of the “enhanced pat-down procedure” that is a recommendation from the league.

While it may be a short-term inconvenience for fans, anything that keeps fans safe should prove more popular than the NFL’s attempt at an “enhanced” regular season.

Permalink 109 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
109 Responses to “Coming to an NFL stadium near you: “Enhanced” pat downs”
  1. batyuki says: Sep 15, 2011 5:16 PM

Yeah well… I don’t have an NFL stadium near me anyway…

2. jh012 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:16 PM

Its a shame its come to this just because a few idiots decided to ruin it for everybody. Having said that I really dont see how this will add too much time to what they already do.

3. billinva says: Sep 15, 2011 5:16 PM

If you try and grab my junk at a game I’m punting your head through the uprights.

4. skinsrock says: Sep 15, 2011 5:17 PM

TSA coming to a city near you.

5. americankris says: Sep 15, 2011 5:18 PM

And this wasn’t mandatory already?

6. capslockkey says: Sep 15, 2011 5:19 PM

All the stadium pat downs do is delay everyone from getting into the stadium in a timely manner. Get rid of them and quit wasting our time. Anyone with half a brain that wants to sneak something in, can get it in rather easily.

7. buckybadger says: Sep 15, 2011 5:19 PM

this just makes it harder for me to sneak my flask in.

8. hanktheking says: Sep 15, 2011 5:19 PM

Raider fans are drooling just thinking about this…

9. mustbejealousof6 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:20 PM

♠ Announcement ♠

Superior fan base – check
    Superior players – check
    Superior coaches – check
    Superior front office – check
    Superior facilities – check
    Superior media – check
    Superior at being superior – check

The Steeler Nation’s dominance in this league is unmatched (6). This is unfair to you and we understand this. That is why we are making the neccessary changes to make it work for everyone. After we win our seventh Lombardi this year we will start our own league. You get to keep your pansy league while we start a real football league for the game as it was made.

This league will consist of the Steelers organization (this means the superior facets listed above) ONLY. We will establish rules from the ground up. These rules will stick to the foundations the game was based on. 112 members of the NFL may enter this league after deemed “pure”. We’ll introduce our own draft system that will occur every year (details still need arrangement). The orginal Steelers team (in all it’s glory) will be divided into eight teams for the first season. The system is subject to change after every football year.

Everyone prepare for the SFL

10. david7590 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:21 PM

Might as well check for cancer while their at it.

11. rectumnearlykilledem says: Sep 15, 2011 5:21 PM

Thanks Jet security, you idiots did a wonderful job last week.

12. massappeal12345 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:24 PM

Will there be female “patters” available for guys who request them.

Typical overreaction in our present society.

13. CKL says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

Thanks for reminding me about another reason I hate going to games.

14. zoxitic says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

All in an effort to increase ticket sales.

15. packmanfan says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

And in the meantime, they will keep on selling beer and other alcoholic beverages that will possibly ensure fits of alcoholic rage.
    And our pat downs will not prevent any fans from acting like loud mouth jerks towards you.

16. jbone2005 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

Nothing more comfortable than a security guard having his way with you…. damnit!!!!

17. philyeagles5 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

jh012 says:
    Sep 15, 2011 5:16 PM
    ================================
    this is why everything has become illegal. a few morons ruin everything for 99% of the other people.

18. fmwarner says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

The NFL wants fans to “enjoy their tailgating tradition”? Somebody better call all the stadiums and let them know, because last I checked the NFL was doing its best to get rid of tailgating.

19. frankrizzo51 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:25 PM

I’ve got a severe case of neuropathy so I wouldn’t be able to feel it anyway!

20. jaggedmark says: Sep 15, 2011 5:26 PM

Enhanced pat downs??? Does that mean 5’9″ hotties working the gates?

21. packmanfan says: Sep 15, 2011 5:26 PM

Just another reason why the couch is the best seat for the games for me.

22. dandrews021 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:26 PM

No problem with this. Who doesn’t like a good ball patdown?

23. James Myers says: Sep 15, 2011 5:29 PM

In a related story, Ben Roethlisberger will now be manning a women’s security line before all Steelers home games.

24. thephantomstranger says: Sep 15, 2011 5:29 PM

I went to a preseason game with my binoculars in a case. The patdown guy said, “you got binoculars in there?” I said, “yeah.” He said, “enjoy the game.” Maybe instead of sexually assaulting our ankles they should look in the containers we bring into the stadium.

25. mvp43 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:30 PM

Brady Quinn has volunteered for the Broncos position.

26. to147 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:31 PM

Is this part of the NFL trying to make the stadium experience compare favorably to the at home experience?

27. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:31 PM

Just dont forget the reach around

28. nunpuncher says: Sep 15, 2011 5:31 PM

What no random strip searches? Because paying for what it takes to go to a game I already feel raped.

29. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:32 PM

Big Ben helps out at Heinz.

30. seabreezes51 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:33 PM

I used to smuggle two beers and a hoagie into every game.
    I miss the good old days.

31. oriolesvsravens says: Sep 15, 2011 5:33 PM

Ensure safety the best way you can. Just watch the “man bags”.

32. tfbuckfutter says: Sep 15, 2011 5:33 PM

I would really prefer they just use those full body scanners……

I am really afraid someone might try to sneak something into the stadium in their butt*

*That has nothing to do with the guy in the jersey in the above pic….I just mean in general.

33. blaz0037 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:34 PM

Anyone who goes into an stadium wearing the “road team” jersey, is asking for it….plain and simple.

34. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:34 PM

Plaxico does the training in NY

35. beerbaron says: Sep 15, 2011 5:34 PM

Every down is enhanced when the Pats line up with Tom Brady under center.

36. crazysandude says: Sep 15, 2011 5:36 PM

Can I pay extra for the ‘Enhanced Plus’ pat down in the champagne suite on the 50?

37. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:36 PM

EXCUSE ME>>>>Thats my foam #1 finger

38. vikefan says: Sep 15, 2011 5:36 PM

vI went to a preseason game with my binoculars in a case. The patdown guy said, “you got binoculars in there?” I said, “yeah.” He said, “enjoy the game.” Maybe instead of sexually assaulting our ankles they should look in the containers we bring into the stadium
    ——————————————————–
    its my understanding (i thought league wide) no containers are allowed into stadiums…..vikings have banned everything from backbacks to camera cases (cameras still allowed), either the league guidelines are not universally the same or they have laxed in past 7 years.

39. countrycometotown says: Sep 15, 2011 5:36 PM

Am I the only one who thought first, “How the hell am I going to smuggle cheap beer in now?”

40. r8rsfan says: Sep 15, 2011 5:37 PM

They probably already had these enhancements in place for this week – Raider Nation comes to Orchard Park this weekend.

41. chuxtah says: Sep 15, 2011 5:37 PM

I was at the Cowboys/Jets game. When we got to security we were like “What the F?”. It took forever! We almost missed George W’s coin toss. Everyone kinda got over it because it was 9/11 and we felt safer. They were very thorough and some idiot still got a tazer in. Makes you think if someone really wants to hurt someone theres nothing they can do to stop it. Maybe metal detectors? More pat downs is just a waste of time.

42. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:38 PM

Maybe Roger would lend a hand, he needs to make sure it’s not done too hard…no “Helmet to Helmet,” (if ya know what I mean).

43. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Sep 15, 2011 5:39 PM

jh012 says:
    Sep 15, 2011 5:16 PM

NO, it’s thanks to some worse people on Sept 11th 2001. And stadium security has just gotten lax.

44. jakek2 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:39 PM

I’m so glad I gave up my season tickets. Let the next dummy stand 1/2 mile back in a glom of bodies to bodies for an hour and a half waiting to get in to an overpriced, glorified 7 on 7 contest.

I actually hope that Steelers’ nut does form his own league.

45. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:40 PM

Hey guys look………..LT is back working at Giants Stadium!!!

46. drshakedown74 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:44 PM

Maybe Tebow can keep us all safe!!!! If Tebow can’t….well then, nobody can.

47. frankrizzo51 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:49 PM

@mustbejealousof6

At last count:

Green Bay 13 NFL Championships
    Bears 9 NFL Championships
    NY Giants 7 NFL Championships

That puts you in 4th place. Just out of medal consideration.

48. j0esixpack says: Sep 15, 2011 5:50 PM

Tom Brady must have had some idea this was coming when he recommended that fans get “lubed up” before the game

49. tampajoey says: Sep 15, 2011 5:54 PM

Another reason to stay home and watch the NFL Ticket on my big screen TV while I drink a $12 case of beer and order a $15 pizza. Plus parking in my garage and drive way is free.

50. Foresight2011 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:55 PM

In 2012 to insure fan safety the league will implement random cavity searches as part of the enhanced pat downs initiative.

- NFL spokesman: Brian McCarthy

51. drunkenagitator says: Sep 15, 2011 5:56 PM

With all the alcoholics at a typical NFL game, you’d have to be insane to NOT bring a weapon, and preferably two or three. I keep a titanium credit card knife in my wallet, a folding knife in my pants, a boot knife in my shoe and a push dagger on my key ring. If it’s cold outside I usually bring a baton, pepper spray or a stun gun, too. Cheaper than re-constructive dental surgery.

52. tatum064 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:57 PM

blaz0037 says:
    Sep 15, 2011 5:34 PM
    ==================================
    Exception is Raider fan, of course. For us, “asking for it” is “wishing for it”.

all in good fun, though…we never take it personally.

53. damnskins703 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:58 PM

Damn now I can’t sneak beer into stadium and I have to give Snyder more money f this

54. johnnyutah06 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:00 PM

Anyone who has an issue with having more security at the games is a pure idiot. I’m sure if something happened at the game and it involved you or a family member. You guys would also be the first ones to complain about not having enough security. Ive always felt that everytime I’ve walked into the game that the security checks were too minimal and it’s just a matter of time before some idiot does something really bad.

55. bangbangbilly says: Sep 15, 2011 6:04 PM

Any way NFL teams will come out with an express lane entrance ticket since these lines are goin to be as long as roller coaster lines ?? Unreal thanks alot new jersey !!! first jersey shore now this haven’t u done enough damage

56. cowboynation919 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:09 PM

More then half of the stadium violence that occurs is from alcohol. I know tons of people who would go to games if they could actually enjoy it without hearing loud drunk cussing morons.

I personally have a better view from my couch and can eat and drink whatever without waiting in line and crawling over people.

57. bloggingpoodlewalker says: Sep 15, 2011 6:10 PM

Registered sex offenders its widely known covet those jobs.

58. 808raiderinparadise says: Sep 15, 2011 6:11 PM

There is an additional $20 fee added on to all tickets for buyers that request a happy ending pat down.

59. cowboysfaninpatriotsland says: Sep 15, 2011 6:15 PM

I was at the game, I’m pretty sure the just didn’t listen. They did a very quick pat down. They did however check my book bag.

60. jimr10 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:16 PM

Roger Goodell says this is what the fans want.

61. lal319 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:18 PM

oh my , i get my xmas goose early this yr……….

62. bozosforall says: Sep 15, 2011 6:21 PM

“Pats down” is just fine by me.

63. nesuperfan says: Sep 15, 2011 6:22 PM

How stupid: You have ONE incident over how many years, so you overreact and implement this BS?

Welcome to the GFL (Goodell Football League).

64. tombrookshire says: Sep 15, 2011 6:23 PM

They keep chipping away at your rights and your privacy, and we willingly give it up, all in the name of safety. The way the police state begins, first pat downs at the airport, then the stadium. Getting ordinary citizens comfortable with routinely being treated with distrust and suspicion, just as criminals are. When do we start feeling like criminals? Will we be patted down in restaurants and at clubs, just because some yahoo carries a gun into one? How about hospitals, libraries, and other public buildings. Benjamin Franklin said, “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Don’t get used to others stripping away our freedoms, at little at a time. If it came between being searched at a stadium or doing without the game. I will do without.

65. georgeanderson2 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:23 PM

No problem with the security, but what training do these $8.00 an hour gameday employees have on doing security checks? If someone does have a weapon what is this gameday employee really going to do? And why aren’t these security guards denying admission to people who are trying to enter the stadium that are too intoxicated?

66. humptyfratz says: Sep 15, 2011 6:24 PM

mustbejealousof6 says:Sep 15, 2011 5:20 PM
    ♠ Announcement ♠
    Superior fan base – check
    Superior players – check
    Superior coaches – check
    Superior front office – check
    Superior facilities – check
    Superior media – check
    Superior at being superior – check
    Everyone prepare for the SFL

Sounds like the Steelers will be playing with themselves then. How good of you to get the jump on them, because it’s pretty obvious you’ve been playing with yourself for a lot longer than that…

67. frankvzappa says: Sep 15, 2011 6:28 PM

Enhanced fascism…Stalinist Russia had it better

68. asublimeday says: Sep 15, 2011 6:31 PM

Ah, add NFL football to the airport on the list of “things I pay $400 to wait 4 hours for”

69. The Fantasy Curmudgeon says: Sep 15, 2011 6:35 PM

Thanks for just now getting around to this NFL and stadium security, because no one had ever even thought of an ankle holster until today. This is just one of many reasons why I never went to games, and never really plan to in the future.

70. wetpaperbag2 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:46 PM

hanktheking says: Sep 15, 2011 5:19 PM

Raider fans are drooling just thinking about this…
    ————————————

First of all, don’t jump into grown folks’ conversations. Secondly, as many as half of NFL stadiums already have security pat downs. It was first implemented league-wide right after 9/11. Many stadiums (at least those in major metropolitan cities) opted to continue the pat downs because of a possible terrorist threat and this goes for fans and media alike.

Now most, if not all, stadiums will institute this security measure. It’s not as much of an inconvenience as many think. Just enter the game 10-15 minutes earlier than you normally do. I rather have a pat down, than allow some nut who’s already gotten “lubbed up” (as Tom Brady stated) get inside the stadium with a gun or knife or worse, have a few more drinks…gets upset because his team is losing or someone told him to sit down or watch his language around the kids and takes it out on others.

71. moshulu says: Sep 15, 2011 6:52 PM

lol

When these mega-million dollar players, and coach’s started coming into the game, I quit buying tickets to all sports. Now you have billion-dollar owners, and billion-dollar stadiums, are the norm, and EVERY year they raise YOUR ticket prices, whether they win or lose, gotta love that.

I could care less what they do at stadiums, I don’t go to them.

72. nepatriots128154 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:53 PM

Am I the only one who thought the headline meant enhances extra points?

73. to147 says: Sep 15, 2011 6:57 PM

People can still hurt or kill other people in the stadiums without weapons and most all stadium fights do not include weapons before now. We’re spending a lot of time and effort and really only marginally improving security.

74. normthegreycat says: Sep 15, 2011 7:04 PM

How about the greedy folks at the NFL and the greedy owners and greedy players association pay the security people more than three bucks an hour to do their jobs properly. I have been a season ticket holder for years and they may as well do away with the patdown people all together. The only good news about seeing these patdown folks now, is they make you chug the rest of your beer when you make it to them in line to get in. They don’t make me feel safe at all.

75. valman61 says: Sep 15, 2011 7:07 PM

I’m sure glad my fifteen thousand dollar psl fee to watch a ,mediocre team is at least good for something, I get a free reach around before every game. They really know how to stick it to the fans.

Hey at least the psl gets me a private line where I won’t wait to long for my reach around,

76. citiciti says: Sep 15, 2011 7:11 PM

In the past 10yrs. I have turned down more FREE tickets( twice to the super bowl) then I can count,another reason added to just say no thanks.It is not worth all the trouble you have to go thru.

77. peed1 says: Sep 15, 2011 7:16 PM

Do it right, full airport security or don’t do it at all.
    What are they looking for? Pat downs unless done correctly are a waste.

78. titan40 says: Sep 15, 2011 7:21 PM

“Is this a gun in your pocket sir?”
    “No, I was checking out your wife, can she pat me down?”

79. stampnhawk says: Sep 15, 2011 7:22 PM

Albert can now argue he was simply prescreening that waitress with enhanced measures.

80. bluefan204 says: Sep 15, 2011 7:30 PM

The crap people complain about blows my mind. Wouldn’t you morons rather wait an extra 5 minutes in line, instead than some nut job standing up in the middle of the crowd and start shooting, or even worse, blow himself up?

“I was touched!! I’m all violated and stuff!!1!”

The arrogance, not to mention the idiocy, is embarrassing. Please stay home and watch the games.

81. trbowman says: Sep 15, 2011 7:34 PM

As if going to NFL games didn’t suck already.

82. upyoursnfu says: Sep 15, 2011 7:50 PM

They should go over well in Baltimore since its the murder capital of the US.

83. to147 says: Sep 15, 2011 8:05 PM

@bluefan204: I don’t see this as 5 minutes. I see it as 10-15 on top of the already 20 it takes to get into the stadium after the 15 minute walk from a spot I paid $40 for so I can get to my $120 seat. At some point it becomes not worth it. This is probably not the breaking point for me but it’s close, frankly it’s getting too expensive and too much of a pain in the ass for me to freeze my ass of and listen to 120 minutes of advertising interspersed with 60 minutes of football. I don’t care about the rub down, just the pain in the ass factor. 99%+ of all fan injuries at games have nothing to do with weapons so we’re holding up close to a million people each Sunday so we can check for a tazer???? The over the top TSA BS you can at least rationalize by saying that someone with a knife could potentially kill thousands, but someone with or without a knife at an NFL stadium can kill one or two people.

84. bigdog214 says: Sep 15, 2011 8:31 PM

Considering the price of an NFL ticket, the pat down better finish with a happy ending.

85. 12is3times4 says: Sep 15, 2011 8:40 PM

Whether this actually makes fans any safer is almost immaterial – the NFL has to be SEEN to be doing something about the fan-violence problem, lest people stop coming to games and stadium-related revenue eventually starts drying up.

Likewise, whether the NFL’s new rules actually make the players any safer is almost immaterial – again, the NFL has to be SEEN to be doing something to cut down on dangerous hits, lest parents stop letting their kids play football and the talent pool eventually starts drying up.

Roger Goodell’s NFL, where Image Is Everything.

86. str82dvd says: Sep 15, 2011 8:57 PM

There were always idiots. Now women just run everything, so everything has to be safe and illegal.

Personally, I’d rather risk getting shot than having my time wasted in long ass lines.

87. vikefan says: Sep 15, 2011 8:57 PM

the only way to make this worth while for fans is NFL should spend some bucks & hire chippendales for the female lines & victoria secret models for the mens line

88. footballfan292 says: Sep 15, 2011 9:25 PM

So much for the land of the free.

The terrorists have won, folks. They have altered our way of life and our government. And we now fear everyone.

89. sadskinsfan89 says: Sep 15, 2011 9:34 PM

They should just give breathalizers

90. nycowboysfan says: Sep 15, 2011 9:49 PM

Well I was at that game and the pat down I received was from the ankles up! Guy probably had the taser buried in his crotch; which they never got close to on my pat down…

91. mineallmine001 says: Sep 15, 2011 9:55 PM

A lil something extra for ya if you go below the ankle!

Signed,
    Rex Ryan

92. zn0rseman says: Sep 15, 2011 10:04 PM

Pat Downs:
    So that next time a drunken marine is hell-bent on beating old man with a bad back to death for wearing an opposing team jersey and being too weak to stand for national anthem, that old man won’t have a tazer to defend himself with.

93. tialen says: Sep 15, 2011 10:29 PM

and to think I just bought my season tickets… I am so sick of our nations security theature… I’m seriously going to think about selling my seats if this BS continues..

94. yajas says: Sep 15, 2011 10:32 PM

mustbejealousof6 says: “♠ Announcement ♠ Superior fan base…”

It’s just really sad that you continue to do this.

95. dude317 says: Sep 15, 2011 10:44 PM

Waiting for the first video of a little kid getting a pat down. *That* will go over well I’m sure.

96. GhostoftheBay says: Sep 15, 2011 10:44 PM

I’ve been throwing six packs and bottles of liquor over the fence to friends for years; think I’m stashing my handle of Jack Daniels in my sock?

97. 1historian says: Sep 15, 2011 11:13 PM

Not that I needed one but there’s another reason for me to say “NOT coming to a stadium near you – me!”

98. 3octaveFart says: Sep 15, 2011 11:16 PM

frankrizzo51 says: Sep 15, 2011 5:49 PM

“At last count:
    Green Bay 13 NFL Championships”
    ======
    Every time I hear that, you’re gonna hear this:

Most of Green Bay’s “championships” were won before the majority of today’s NFL franchises even existed. So, having racked up more of these dubious “titles” than any of today’s NFL clubs is meaningless. In the NFL’s last season before the 1970 merger, the league still only had 16 teams. Thus, having won titles in the 1920s, 30s, and 40s fails to impress the fans of teams like say… Dallas, who did not begin playing in the league until the 1960s.

Second, no one in their right mind could actually believe that winning an NFL championship before say the mid 1960s, is remotely comparable to winning a Super Bowl title. In its first few decades, the NFL was a second-rate league, with a small fan base. There was no scouting of any kind; teams would either draft kids from local schools or draft them sight unseen, based on reputation alone. Lots of the top college talent didn’t even play pro ball, because they could make more money in other pursuits. Those that did play in the NFL had to have other jobs to support themselves, as their pay was so low. Coaching staffs were tiny, and oh yeah… THERE WERE NO BLACK PLAYERS (the NFL did not see all of its teams integrated until 1962).

Winning Super Bowl titles is a difficult task. The league is now ultra-competitive and highly specialized. There are more teams, more games, more injuries, and multiple rounds of playoffs, where a team must defeat quality opponents to move on. Being crowned champion of a 26-team league (now 32-team league) is, by definition, more difficult to achieve than winning a 9 or 10-team league.

Nice try; but, Super Bowls count, when speaking of the NFL in 2011, and NFL Championships don’t. “Respect” or “class” has nothing to do with it.

Just for the record, here is a recap of the terribly impressive league titles Green Bay won, before the days of Super Bowls.

1929 – The league had only 12 teams, and there were no playoffs at all. The Packers had the best regular season record among the twelve, and were thus declared league champions. This “league” was so rag-tag that very few of the teams even played the same number of games. The Frankford Yellow Jackets played a league-high 19 games, while the Dayton Triangles played only 6. Green Bay played 13 games.

1930 – The league had only 11 teams, and there were again no playoffs at all. The Packers (sort of) had the best regular season record among the twelve, and were declared league champions. The Packers were 10-3-1, while the NY Giants were 13-4-0. If one were to calculate the winning percentages of these two teams, one would conclude that the Giants, in fact, had the best record (.765 to .750). However, in 1930, ties were (strangely) not counted as part of a team’s final record. Thus, instead of giving the Packers credit for 10.5 wins out of 14 games, the league awarded the Packers the “best record” title, due to their winning 10 of the 13 recognized games in which they played. Obviously, even for 1930, this is not a real title. Again, very few of the teams played the same number of games. The Frankford Yellow Jackets played a league-high 18 games, while the Minneapolis Red Jackets played only 9. Green Bay played 14 games.

1931 – The league had only 10 teams, and there were again no playoffs. The Packers had the best regular season record among the ten, and were declared league champions, despite the fact that the Packers never even faced the team with the second best record (the Portsmouth Spartans), who finished only one game behind the Pack. A very dubious “league championship” indeed. The same deal with teams playing different numbers of games – four teams played 14 games, Frankfort played only 9.

1936 – The league consisted of 9 teams, in two divisions. The Packers won the four-team Western Division, as all 9 teams played 12 games. The “playoffs” consisted of a single game won by the Packers over the 7-5 Boston Redskins (champs of the eastern division). Impressive.

1939 – The league consisted of 10 teams, in two divisions. The Packers won the five-team Western Division, as all 10 teams played 11 games. The “playoffs” consisted of a single game won by the Packers (at home) over the N.Y. Giants (champs of the eastern division).

1944 – The league consisted of 10 teams, in two divisions. The Packers won the five-team Western Division, at 8-2. All 10 teams played 11 games. The “playoffs” consisted of a single game won by the Packers over the N.Y. Giants (champs of the eastern division). With most of the league’s top players serving in WWII, this is another impressive title won by the Pack.

1961 – The league consisted of 14 teams, in two divisions. The Packers won the seven-team Western “Conference”. Teams played 14 games. The “playoffs” consisted of a single game, in Green Bay, won by the Packers over the N.Y. Giants (champs of the Eastern Conference). Green Bay did not play the AFL champion Houston Oilers.

1962 – The league consisted of 14 teams, in two divisions. The Packers won the seven-team Western “Conference”. Teams played 14 games. The “playoffs” consisted of a single game won by the Packers over the N.Y. Giants (champs of the Eastern Conference). Green Bay did not play the AFL champion Dallas Texans.

1965 – The league consisted of 14 teams, in two divisions. The Packers finished in a tie with the Baltimore Colts in the seven-team Western “Conference”. Teams played 14 games. This year, the Packers actually had to win two post-season games to capture the crown. Wins over the Colts (in the Western Conference tiebreaker) and Browns gave the Pack the league title for 1965. Both post season games were in Green Bay. The Packers did not play the AFL champion Buffalo Bills.

Could one argue that the Packers were the best team in the league during the 1930s and 1960s? Sure. But, it was easier to be the best in those days (especially the 1930s).

It doesn’t compare to today.
    It’s not even debatable.

99. youboettcha says: Sep 15, 2011 11:39 PM

they are you a rose new yorkHey NFL, ever heard of metal detectors? I doubt anyone will bring a piece of wood carved into the shape of a knife when they could use a broken beer bottle.

100. discosucs2005 says: Sep 16, 2011 12:02 AM

I’m so glad we didn’t let 9/11 change the way we live.

101. failcopter says: Sep 16, 2011 12:17 AM

Dude, the guy with the taser was drunk, not the marine. Get your facts straight.

102. cleonslamminsalmon says: Sep 16, 2011 12:50 AM

mustbejealousof6 -
    almost half way to the Packers 13.

103. patpatriotagain says: Sep 16, 2011 1:52 AM

i’ve got a quicker way. de-criminilize beating the $#!} out of idiots with tasers.
    after a few boots to the head, who’s going to whip one out?

104. pftequalsgreatjournalism says: Sep 16, 2011 4:27 AM

I haven’t been to a game in nearly 20 years and personally, I am not sure what you get from going to the stadium – except hassles from all of the drunk idiots and a serious fleecing as you pay for everything but air…

No matter where you sit, your view is not as good as a decent-sized LCD and you seat is unlikely to be as comfortable as your couch…

One of you guys who goes, please tell me what is so great about going to the game…

105. runmjd says: Sep 16, 2011 6:05 AM

Well so much for smuggling any more whiskey into the game in my socks.

106. cshearing says: Sep 16, 2011 8:36 AM

Great, another moving play from Security Theater. Ridiculous. Life can be dangerous, people, even though it is not 99% of the time. Get over it.

107. wakiash says: Sep 16, 2011 8:54 AM

I will now add professional football to the list of things I no longer will attend, along with flying. Thank you Bush/Cheney/Obama for the loss of freedom our young people are so valiantly “fighting for” in Afghanistan and Iraq!

108. js4strings says: Sep 16, 2011 11:18 AM

I just love the people who say what’s the big deal for the added security.

Puh-lease, if there is an idiot that wants to blow the people at the stadium or start shooting, why wait to get inside. They have a herd of freaking people trying to get in, all at the same time. Talk about bang for your buck!!

109. jagssb11 says: Sep 16, 2011 4:59 PM

There is some good news for me. I’ll save $300 on season tix next year. NFL patdowns are a joke.