Brees says contract talks won’t be a distraction

New Orleans Saints v Green Bay Packers Getty Images

Saints quarterback Drew Brees signed a contract in 2006.  This year is the final year of the deal.

He wants a new contract.  We reported a couple of weeks ago that a “huge gap” exists between the two sides.

Brees recently said that he won’t allow the situation to become a distraction.  And that goes without saying.  Brees is the consummate professional.  He’ll focus on his football business during football business, and he’ll focus on his contract after football season, if a contract isn’t done before then.

“I’m trying to compartmentalize it the best that I can,” Brees said.  “That’s why I hired my agent.  They all have a job to do.  I’m hoping it will be done sooner rather than later, but for me really it’s about focusing on winning games and trying for it to not be a distraction.”

The ongoing absence of a new deal keeps the risk of injury on Brees, a dynamic that takes on greater importance given Peyton Manning’s current situation.  But if Brees gets through 2011 unscathed, his leverage will skyrocket.  For now, his salary is south of $10 million.  If the Saints are forced to use the franchise tag, Brees will be negotiating from a one-year guarantee of more than $17 million.

And even though Brees won’t be able to shop himself to a new team (if the Saints use the exclusive version of the tag), he’ll have the ability to stay away from offseason workouts, training camp, and the preseason, if he chooses.  Who knows?  If Brees has a big year in 2011, he could possibly surpass the $18 million annual average given by the Pats to Tom Brady and the Colts to Manning.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Brees says contract talks won’t be a distraction”
  1. scudbot says: Sep 16, 2011 7:40 AM

I don’t see how Breesus can get by on just $7.6 million. After all, that $20 million bonus was five years ago.

2. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Sep 16, 2011 7:49 AM

“Brees is the consummate professional. ”

Except when he threw up the “1” sign before last seasons opener snubbing the owners and of course his conduct during the lockout when he couldn’t shut up. I guess all that aside he is a stand up dude.

3. h3min1230 says: Sep 16, 2011 8:12 AM

He is a top 4 QB but he doesn’t deserve 18+ a year. Unlike Manning, Brady, and Rodgers, he has lots of playmakers to get the ball to unlike the other 3 who really make the offense go.IMO

4. mustbejealousof6 says: Sep 16, 2011 8:33 AM

But does he have six rings?

5. clintonportisheadd says: Sep 16, 2011 8:42 AM

” Who knows? If Brees has a big year in 2011, he could possibly surpass the $18 million annual average given by the Pats to Tom Brady and the Colts to Manning.”

————————–

Are you saying Tom Benson is going to pull a Kraft and actually pay his players top dollar? I’ll believe that when I see it.

6. scudbot says: Sep 16, 2011 8:55 AM

$18M, why not. That’d give him twice what I make a year for one game instead of just 1x. And certainly no fans will mind paying a few more bucks to make sure he’s well paid.

7. scra22 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:29 AM

clintonportisheadd says:
    Sep 16, 2011 8:42 AM
    ====

I guess you haven’t seen what they paid Jahri Evans? It was the richest contract given to an NFL guard EVER.

8. deadharvest says: Sep 16, 2011 9:47 AM

You are right contract talks wont be a distraction with Brees…

nothing can trump that hairy caterpillar that resides on his face…which is the true distraction.

9. dukemarc says: Sep 16, 2011 9:48 AM

It already is Breesus, it already is. Remember Saints fans this is the same guy that tried to get Franchise Tag Exemption for the rest of his career and his hyperbole gummed up the CBA talks several times. He’s going to have Benson by the short ones on this deal.

10. sj39 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:49 AM

1 good season, overrated.

11. scra22 says: Sep 16, 2011 10:15 AM

sj39 says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:49 AM
    1 good season, overrated.
    ====

5 seasons in a row of 4,000+ yards (one including 5,000+ yards). 5 seasons in a row of 25+ touchdowns (The last 3 were all 33+).

12. mvp43 says: Sep 16, 2011 10:37 AM

I could care less what players get paid….its not my money……..

Just win games.

13. freidasboss says: Sep 16, 2011 11:09 AM

Bree’s needs to sign up. I am questioning the o’line…

14. youboettcha says: Sep 16, 2011 12:47 PM

@h3min1230

Brees arguably has the worst group of the bunch. This other QBs have: Gronkowski, Hernandez, Welker, Wayne, Collie, Clark, Jennings, Nelson, Finley… and so on.

15. youboettcha says: Sep 16, 2011 12:49 PM

I doubt Brees would stay away from offseason workouts next year, unless he learned anything from the Packers last week.

16. 504in860 says: Sep 16, 2011 1:47 PM

h3min1230 says:
    Sep 16, 2011 8:12 AM
    ————————————————

Name a Saints offensive skill player who has made a Pro Bowl since Brees has been there. I’ll wait.

17. ajknox88 says: Sep 16, 2011 3:09 PM

scudbot says:
    Sep 16, 2011 8:55 AM
    ________

You make $560,000/year? Way to fit that into why you think he should be paid.