Darrelle Revis: Who is Jason Hill?

Getty Images

Jaguars wide receiver Jason Hill grabbed some headlines talking about the Jets in advance of Sunday’s game and now Darrelle Revis will grab some with his response.

Hill called the Jets “overhyped” and called out Revis in particular as a player whose reputation was much bigger because of the New York stage. Hill went so far as to compare himself to the player widely regarded as the best cornerback in the NFL, although that comparison was undermined by the fact that Hill conceded Revis is a Pro Bowl player while he is still trying to make it to that level.

As you might imagine, Hill’s comments made their way to Revis. And, as you might also imagine, Revis was less than impressed by what he heard.

“I don’t even know who that dude is. What’s his name again? I have no clue. I don’t know who he is, whatever he said is what he said. Whatever his opinion is of us, we’ll find out on Sunday,” Revis said, via Jenny Vrentas of the Newark Star-Ledger. “I don’t care what he says, I don’t know him. He don’t know me, he don’t know the Jets, so he’ll find out on Sunday.”

Actually, Hill might not find out on Sunday. He’s listed as doubtful because of a hip injury, making it all the stranger (or perhaps explaining exactly why) Hill chose to put his opinion into the air.

The last receiver to make a point of calling out Revis was Terrell Owens. T.O. called Revis an “average” corner before last year’s Thanksgiving night matchup and then got held to three catches for 17 yards in a 26-10 Jets win. Owens, who also claimed not to know who Revis was before a Cowboys-Jets matchup in Revis’ rookie year, said after the game that he merely meant the comment as a motivational ploy.

We’re assuming Owens meant to motivate his own team, because Revis isn’t really a player who seems to need any extra carrots to get the job done. We’ll see if Hill made the same mistake this season.

91 responses to “Darrelle Revis: Who is Jason Hill?

1. The Jets ARE overhyped and so are you Revis. Get ready for a war on Sunday because the Jaguars will be bringing it big time, just like the last 3 times your overhyped carnival lost to them. You may not know who we are now, but when you wake up on Monday I bet you’ll never forget.

Last 3 games:

Jaguars 24 jets 22
    Jaguars 41 jets 0
    Jaguars 26 jets 20

2. Isn’t the game on Sunday?

Shouldn’t Revis know who one of the Jaguars starting receivers is? Game-planning?

Revis is an absolute beast. Jason Hill has struggled to make any kind of impact at this point in his career.

But isn’t it Revis’ job to study up on the other team?

And I know Revis watches film.

Lawyered.

3. Well although no one who Jason Hill is, he’s right. Revis is good, Santonio is good, but after that who else. Mike Greenberg(Mike and Mike) constantly talking about the Jets day after day must be this teams publisist.

But hey, 2 AFC Championship apperances in two years means something although the Colts sitting starters are the only reason they made the playoffs in 2009. A decent team that’s a media darling. That’s what the national media does. Find a few sexy teams every year and go overboard. What’s new.

4. Jason Hill (who exactly?) should keep his mouth shut since he’s a nobody. But he’s right. The Jets are overhyped because they’re in NY. Sanchez is a bottom-10 QB, their running game blows, and fat Rex hasn’t won anything. Meanwhile he keeps running his mouth like he’s assembled some sort of dynasty. Its funny. But Rex we’re laughing at you, not with you.

5. OK…..Maybe a receiver with some cred could lay a little smack down on Revis but Jason Hill? Really? I am a hard core Fantasy Football Player and i research pretty in depth…..I aint never heard of this dude? So I look up his stats=thats why. He doesnt have any. If you add up all four years he played together he isnt worthy of a 3rd string receiver on a bye week…..wth?

6. The ole, “What’s his name? I don’t know him” meme. He’s as ridiculous as Jason Hill. If he studies film, the good ones usually do, he knows Jason Hill.

That’s a typical Jet. They will never take the high road.

7. That’s probably D. Revis’s biggest problem since all the hype. “Who is _________?” Watch more tape, son, & know who your opponent is. You had no picks for more than a year until last week. Embarrassing.

8. nationalmediacansuckit says:
    ———————–
    Right, the media always finds a decent team to become the media darlings and they push that team into the spotlight and over hype them till we can’t take it any longer. That will never happen to the Jags though. They need to become a decent team before that can happen!

9. “Why are the Jets constantly a national story?”
    ________________________________
    Because you’ll never see a Jet or their coaching staff taking the high road. That would be boring and PFT would be out of business.

10. I was momentarily confused, because Revis usually covers the opponents’ top notch receiver. Then I remembered it’s the Jags, and they don’t really have one.

11. zoxitic says:

Last 3 games:

Jaguars 24 jets 22
    Jaguars 41 jets 0
    Jaguars 26 jets 20

——————-
    riiiiiiiiiiiiight. I forgot about the perennial powerhouse that is the Jacksonville Jaguars:

2008-2010: 20-28, no playoff appearances

12. Ha this is great. Some scrub wanna be JAG starts yapping and everyone who was hating on the Jets for yapping, still hates on the Jets.

Oh well….you know that they say, if you can’t beat em – hate on em.

13. Revis isn’t all smack talk. The guy gives props to receivers who beat him or are legitimate work horses. He was burned by Percy Harvin and had no hard feelings and only good words to say about him, hell he and Charles Woodson even invited Percy to train with them in the offseason.

14. Jets – 10.5 vs. Jags this week.

Yeah, I’d say that’s a cover for the Jets…

PS – at least now I know 2 players on the Jags, MJD who is a decent RB, and an oft injured backup WR with a big mouth who can’t even back up his smack talk.

15. @theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup

Watch more tape? Trust me, Revis watches plenty of tape when he needs to. But that’s the point, Revis doesn’t need to watch tape on Jason Hill. Hell, it’s probably hard to find tape on Jason Hill since he never really plays.

And no interceptions last year? You’re absolutely right. But it’s hard to get picks when the best of the best know better than to throw in Revis’ direction.

Case in point – Jets/Colts wildcard round. Held Reggie Wayne to 1 catch for 1 yard and only 1 target. (Total of 19 balls on 56 targets caught on Revis in 2010)

Sincerely,

theguywhotold, theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup, toshutthefup.

16. RexCanCoach says:

Jets – 10.5 vs. Jags this week.

Yeah, I’d say that’s a cover for the Jets…

___________________________

I’m hoping you are stupid enough to put money on that line. Would love to see you lose it.

17. For all you people who dont actually READ the article, it says nothing about Revis “not watching film”.
    @ zoxitic…..How many times will your D hold Revis this sunday?…lol…Oh and Jason Hill has written a check that someone else has to cash now..its easy for a chicken-$hit like Hill to run his mouth when he wont even be in the Game!!
    Oh!…and Monday morning….dont be thinking about monday…You Jag-offs need to worry about SUNDAY!!!

18. why would revis watch film on this guy? he only watches film on the elite receivers he shutsdown every week. if this dude plays he’ll probably get covered by the jets’ third or fourth corner.

19. I liked Jason Hill coming out of Wash St., but he hasn’t done squat in the NFL to deserve to talk trash. Even if you think Revis is overrated (I don’t), if you haven’t done squat, you shouldn’t be talking. And it’s not like Jason Hill hasn’t had chances either – the Niners gave him enough opportunities to try and break through.

20. “I don’t even know who that dude is. What’s his name again? I have no clue. I don’t know who he is, whatever he said is what he said. Whatever his opinion is of us, we’ll find out on Sunday,” Revis said.
    ————————————
    I think the statement would have been much more effective (and funnier) if Revis had just said, “I don’t even know who that dude is.”

21. why are the jets a national story? simple. because all of you cant stop clicking/commenting on EVERY jets ‘story’ big or small. look at this website for example. they have at least 3 posts a day on the jets.

22. I hate when players say they don’t know who another player is. If my corner said he didn’t know who a WR was on the team we were about to play, I would be annoyed.

Of course that doesn’t make Jason Hill’s comment any smarter.

23. the real question is who is Darrelle Revis, if he played in Jacksonville, and didn’t have BSPN saying he is the best DB in the league….gotta laugh how the cowboys didn’t shy away from revis at all.

24. This is a really deceptive story. Jason Hill did not “compare himself to Darrelle Revis” except to say they were both football players trying to do their best. Seriously, if Revis wants to take this seriously, I hope he follows Jason Hill all over the field and totally shuts him down, because, here’s a news flash for everyone, Jason Hill is NOT the focal point of the Jaguars’ offense.

25. For anyone that thinks the Jets are overrated, that aren’t Packers or Steeler fans. What does that say about your team if this overrated team can do what you couldn’t two years in a row.

26. This is a completely made up story. If you read Jason Hill’s actual comments, he didn’t say anything at all noteworthy, or disrespectful, or anything.

27. hey forcef1ve…the dude brought up the only issue that matters going into this weekends matchup which was these two teams’ last three matchups, all losses by the jets. then you bring up playoffs and ‘perennial playoff powerhouses’?

by the way buddy, since when are the jets perennial playoff powerhouses themselves? must be that shining 9-7 record that got them into the playoffs in 2010. riiiiiiiiigghhhttttt

28. Man, if you want bulletin board material, Revis has provided all the Jaguars need.

Del Rio to team, “Did you read this? The Jets don’t even know who we are.”

29. Revis is over-rated. He is a quality CB but not even the best or second at his position. The hype about Revis island is joke. Whenever he was matched up on a great receiver, he gets help over the top. Case in point: The Revis was getting scorched by Dez Bryant in man coverage last week. The Jets gave him safety help all through the second half, which is why Bryant didn’t do much after the first half.

Mark Sanchez is also terribly over-rated (just like Eli Manning) simply because he’s a New York QB. Neither one of them is better than mediocre.

30. lacharger2112 says:
    ———————–

————————————————-

So is this where you expect me to come back at you b/c you dissed my team? Try again. Sadly, I agree with you. The Jags are an average team. Every year 7-9 or 8-8. We were the sexy team going into 2008 season after beating the Steelers and losing to Pats in playoffs 2007. But the Jags are close and if Blaine Gabbert works out as expected, it’s just a matter of time.

31. Hey,dabs1,
    The last three games mean nothing. The only game that matters is this Sunday. Keep living in the past if it’s the only way to spin your team in a good light.
    When was the Jags last playoff win again?
    Jags think beating the Jets is as good as a playoff win. LOL

32. 1nationraidernation says:
    Sep 16, 2011 4:16 PM

gotta laugh how the cowboys didn’t shy away from revis at all.
    ———————
    And the cowboys paid the price.

33. @ theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup.
    “no pics for more than a year until last week. Embarassing”
    Maybe you should start watching film? You may be right about the pics but its hard to get pics when most Qb’s in the league wont even throw your way….dont you think Mr. football brianiak?
    Its hardly “Embarassing”….Its respect for his abilities.

34. “Revis is over-rated. He is a quality CB but not even the best or second at his position. The hype about Revis island is joke. Whenever he was matched up on a great receiver, he gets help over the top. Case in point: The Revis was getting scorched by Dez Bryant in man coverage last week.”

znorseman, we much have been watching a different game. While I wholeheartedly agree that Sanchez, fat Rex, and the NY Jets are overrated, Revis most definitely is not. I was watching intently because I’m a Dez Bryant fantasy owner. Dez was destroying Cromartie so the switched Revis on to him. Once on Revis Island, Dez was shut out and Miles Austin started getting off. Revis is a monster. Maybe the best CB in football

35. indianajet – I love it when people say “trust me” to prove their point. Why would I ever trust you about something you know absolutely nothing about? So you’re in the film room with him everyday huh?

robsterny – “For all you people who dont actually READ the article, it says nothing about Revis “not watching film”.

Wow, nice English.

36. @ znorseman
    LOL…It sounds good ..too bad you dont know what the hell your talking about.
    Bryant didnt “do much” in the second half because he had a calf muscle injury. Revis didnt have “help over the top”…Maybe YOU should watch fim too!…When he shuts down other recievers..he never gets “help over the top”.
    He wont need ANY help on sunday either…I assure you.

37. Everyone has their opinion.that’s why I look at most of these comments…but boy are some peoples opinions straight wrong lol..literally every nfl analyst will tell you revis is the best corner in the league..like how everyone says tom brady is the best qb..when there is never a disagreement on who the best player is how is he overated?

38. why are all you jagoffs talking about revis covering him?

revis will be on Mike Thomas
    cromartie will be on Osgood

and everyone else can have their fun with …. who was it?!

39. @ theguywhotoldtimtebowtoshutthefup;
    Is that all you have to say?…”nice english”..lol
    Whats wrong?…Cant back up your non-factual statements?….Dumb high school jock!

40. Sep 16, 2011 5:06 PM I wonder, after Sunday, who will have a foot in their mouth, Jason Hill or Rex Ryan?

The answer to that could be both.

41. Heard that interview by Revis. He talked about Moss and Owens.

Moss was 33 last year.
    Owens was 37.

Revis was 25.
    When Revis is 33 let’s see if he’s still playing.

Guaranteed, some 24 year old WR is going to school him and his hammy before then.

42. lacharger….I’m not even a Jaguars fan in the slightest you buffoon. I saw a comment posted by a Jags fan that brought up a totally relevant point about the matchup that was rebutted by a totally irrelevant comment about playoffs and “perennial playoff powerhouses”. Totally irrelevant comment about a Week 2 matchup. If anything, all you’re doing is establishing the fact that the Jets CAN’T beat a team thats described by you and others as something subpar.

And playoff wins? Perennial playoff powerhouses? Um yeah…something the Jets are not, thanks.

You got stomped out by 3 TDs in 2007 in the opening round and got into the playoffs by default because of the Colts resting starters in 2010 then lost by 2 TDs to the same team when they actually played their starters. I would say 2011 playoffs were impressive and deserved because you went 11-5 and beat two great teams to get to the AFC Championship.

But until you’re a team like Philly, NE , Pitt, SD….teams that ARE perennial playoff powerhouses that DO go to the playoffs EVERY year you should stop talking.

Not a Jags fan, you’re just a typical Jets fan.

43. robsterny – First you claimed my fact about Revis was true & now you said (the same statement) was “non-factual statements.” Sounds like lil robsterny needs a nap-e-poo & a hug from his mommy. Poor little guy.

44. Calling Revis overhyped is silly. This guy can pretty much take any one receiver out of the game but that doesn’t mean the Jets cant be over hyped bc 22 guys have to play. I def don’t think there D is over hyped either. Even if Jason Hill was in the game we wouldn’t see him get shut down by Revis bc he ll be covering their number 1 wr.

45. tiffpats4eva says:Sep 16, 2011 3:32 PM

That’s a typical Jet. They will never take the high road.

Im pretty sure Santonio “wake and bake” Holmes takes the “high” road very frequently…….boom…roasted!

46. As a JET fan i got to love all these haters.
    They write in armed so little information or misguided facts. They make me feel smarter than i am when it comes to JETS NATION!!!

I’m surprised of the lack of old boring foot jokes.

As far as the Jags…your coach may be the first to get the axe this year.

47. daubass-
    2007? Yoyu’re going back to when mangini was the coach? Thats relevant.
    Like it or not the Jets snacked Manning and Brady in the mouth and whipped them in their own buildings LAST YEAR.
    In 2010, jets beat div winner Cincy in consecutive games (cincy beat Pitt 2x that year), then went out to SD and beat Rivers and Chargers as a double-digit dog. I noticed you skipped over these games.
    So, if SD , NE and Philly are your powerhouses, just look at there playoff accomplishments the past 3 yrs. Did any of them get further than the JETS? Me thinks not. me knows not.

48. Its true…The jags looked awfully impressive beating the might Titans by a td last week in Jacksonville….WTF?

49. “rodgerthat says:
    Sep 16, 2011 3:32 PM
    OK…..Maybe a receiver with some cred could lay a little smack down on Revis but Jason Hill? Really? I am a hard core Fantasy Football Player and i research pretty in depth…..I aint never heard of this dude? So I look up his stats=thats why. He doesnt have any.”
    ———————————————————————————————-

LULZ at anyone who tries to justify their football prowess by starting off by saying they’re a fantasy football geek. Double fail for admitting he’s “ain’t never heard (double negative grammar fail)” of Jason Hill. No wonder you’re always finishing last in your league, even losing to those who auto-draft.

50. @dlk47823

Wow take a joke man. tiffpats set me up for it. It’s not like the joke wouldn’t work as well with Ricky Williams. Next time come back with that instead of calling people names like a grade schooler.

But your right… I should change my name to finsupjetsdown since, you know, the Jets have lost to the Fins 4 out of the last 6 times we have played.

51. dlk you obviously can’t read. I said props to the Jets for their 2010 season because it was a good one. Sorry, but a 9-7 record in 2009 and getting into the playoffs by default then bragging about beating the Bengals doesn’t constitute a perennial playoff powerhouse. You question me for bringing up 2007, then agree with someone else insinuating the Jets are a “perennial playoff powerhouse”. I guess in the eyes of a Jets fans perennial means 2009 – 2010. What a joke.

Bottom line is that you idiots do nothing but talk, as well as poke fun at a Jags fan who brought up a good point and meanwhile you guys have won SQUAT. The past two years you speak of, you lost when it came time to play the big boys to get to the Superbowl. Not saying that it means nothing, but how can you ridicule some other team when you have nothing to show for the playoff wins that you brag about?

52. daubfool- You must have looked pretty silly in the stands at that Charger playoff game last year.
    I’m pretty sure you were the only 1 there

53. yeah ok dlk. not a chargers fan either, you’re dumb.

have fun counting on those weekly blocked punts and tony romo interceptions in his own territory to cover up how bad mark sanchez is. good luck

54. Jason Hill spoke the truth. The Jets are overhyped and everyone but they and their fans knows it. Hell, the only reason they beat the lowly Cowboys last week was because Romo gift-wrapped the game for them. Only the mentally soft Revis and his fans can get butthurt by this quote: “He’s a good player. We respect him. Hopefully he respects us because we’re going to bring it just like they’re going to bring it,” and only the media who overhypes the Jets in the first place can overhype what Hill said.

55. finsuppatsdown :

The Dolphins can beat the Jets in the regular season the next 20 games and I could care less. Bottom like is your joke of a franchise hasnt been relevant for the past decade plus. And by relevant I mean winning ONE FREAKIN PLAYOFF GAME!