Moss says “I’m done”

Jacksonville+Jaguars+v+New+England+Patriots+M7G_3NVmpmhm Getty Images

Receiver Randy Moss has never held a retirement press conference.  He didn’t even issue a statement in his own words.  Instead, agent Joel Segal let it be known after Moss didn’t realize any big-money offers early in free agency that Moss was calling it quits.

Moss finally has spoken on the issue.  He golfed in the Boston area on Thursday, and Ian Meropol of WEEI and WAAF morning show co-host Lyndon Byers caught up with Moss in the parking lot, asking Moss if they’ll see him in Gillette Stadium again this year.

“No,” Moss said.  “I’m done.”

So why was he in Boston?

“I’m just here golfing, minding my business,” Moss said.

Folks will continue to be skeptical about his retirement.  We’ve been told multiple times that Moss would return under the right circumstances, something that Jay Glazer of FOX also reported last Sunday.  And Patriots quarterback Tom Brady recently said that he’d welcome Moss back with open arms.

Then again, maybe Brady was “lubed up” when he said that.

Permalink 56 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
56 Responses to “Moss says “I’m done””
  1. djbleedthestar says: Sep 16, 2011 9:09 AM

Lubed up?

2. WingT says: Sep 16, 2011 9:11 AM

or maybe Moss was stoned when he made his comment…

3. seanmmartin says: Sep 16, 2011 9:11 AM

Did you actually listen to the brief “interview?” He was getting into his Lexus. He wanted to get away from Chach after he played 9 holes in Bellingham. There is no value behind this.

4. seanmmartin says: Sep 16, 2011 9:13 AM

Since AHern is wearing 81, if Moss does come back, maybe we’ll hear “get your 84 jerseys out!”

5. sj39 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:13 AM

Mike, please don’t mention Moss, Brady and “lubed up” in the same blog. Does not paint a pretty mental picture no matter how accurate it may be.

6. packattack1967 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:15 AM

Buh Bye Now

7. johnsticle says: Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM

We need him back in Minnesota. Cut Berrian and give Moss all the money he wants.

8. 3octaveFart says: Sep 16, 2011 9:17 AM

“Then again, maybe Brady was “lubed up” when he said that.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that…

9. 4512dawg4512 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:17 AM

I wonder if he was in the parking lot because he didn’t like the golf corse so he decided to quit and go home

10. silvernblackpa says: Sep 16, 2011 9:19 AM

Done until he realizes he needs more straight cash, homie

11. jdreed68 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:24 AM

Maybe NFL means Nasty Fellas League. Brady getting lubed up, Revis having X-rated conversations with Bryant. No Wonder Moss wants out.

12. august1969 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:26 AM

Guys really…Seinfeld is from the 90′s…stop tainting it’s brilliance with stupid unfunny rehashes

And “Well played sir” is over too

13. waitingguilty says: Sep 16, 2011 9:28 AM

This is Moss-speak for “My asking price just went up to $7 million for 1 year.”

14. joetoronto says: Sep 16, 2011 9:32 AM

“I’m just here golfing, minding my business,” Moss said.

Ya, when I think of golfing in the fall, I think of Boston.

15. wewantmoretebowandfavrearticles says: Sep 16, 2011 9:32 AM

If there is one thing Randy does best, it’s quitting. I’ll believe him.

16. richm2256 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:34 AM

johnsticle says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM
    We need him back in Minnesota. Cut Berrian and give Moss all the money he wants
    ———————————————————
    And Vikings fans wonder why people think they’re idiots???

You people learned NOTHING from his three week stint LAST year?

17. heyguru1969 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:34 AM

There are many worse things in life than being lubed up with Gisele Bundchen. Pretty much everything is worse than that, now that I think about it….

18. kingjoe1 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:36 AM

no way she plays this year. It will take a solid 30 days to get the ganja out of his system.

19. albanyhawker says: Sep 16, 2011 9:39 AM

golf is not a verb

you play golf.

you do not go golfing.

that is all.

20. abninf says: Sep 16, 2011 9:39 AM

Massachusetts. Lubed up. Sounds right.

21. kamdaryda says: Sep 16, 2011 9:40 AM

He is just waiting for 85 to get cut….

22. titknocker says: Sep 16, 2011 9:45 AM

WEEI blows!!!! He’s probably waiting to interview with the best Sports Radio station in the country in 98.5 the Sports Hub!!!

23. jbl429 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:45 AM

It’s a bit odd…I don’t think anyone’s going out of their way to go golfing in Massachusetts in mid-September.

24. johnsticle says: Sep 16, 2011 9:48 AM

richm2256 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:34 AM

johnsticle says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM
    We need him back in Minnesota. Cut Berrian and give Moss all the money he wants
    ———————————————————
    And Vikings fans wonder why people think they’re idiots???

You people learned NOTHING from his three week stint LAST year?

—————————————————

Do you understand what happened last year? Childress made the decision to cut him, not us Vikings fans. Childress decided to make an idiot out of himself and make a mockery of the franchise. Not us Vikings fans.

I’ve always loved Randy Moss, I’ve always wanted him on the Vikings. Every time I think about the two times we let him go, my blood boils.

I was just making a comment, I’d like to see Randy back, I hate Bernard Berrian. I wasn’t predicting it’d happen, Leslie isn’t the type of coach to get Moss on the squad.

25. Manbearpig says: Sep 16, 2011 9:52 AM

Or, maybe, you smug idiots don’t know nearly as much as you seem to think you do. Mayyyybe, Randy Moss himself knows more about his future plans than what Jay Glazer the hack is “reporting.”

26. jacunn2000 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:54 AM

GOOD!!, Now shut up and go away!

27. lacharger2112 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:56 AM

Moss only played 14 holes because he took a few holes off.

28. pleasantsurpriselefty says: Sep 16, 2011 10:07 AM

Speaking of golfing, I’ll bet he’d like to have a mulligan and delete his rant after the opening day victory last year. Lobbying for a long term contract one year ago and now out of work. Going to be interesting to see what he makes of the rest of his life.

29. palewook says: Sep 16, 2011 10:12 AM

would have been better if moss had said “I’m finished.”

30. kate773 says: Sep 16, 2011 10:14 AM

jbl429 says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:45 AM

**********************************

Yeah, its Massachusetts, not Siberia. Its 60′s and 70′s and no humidity here right now. My father golfs through October.

31. vikesfansteve says: Sep 16, 2011 10:14 AM

Sorry but he quit on the team. He had opportunities for TD’s against Dallas, GB & New England that if he just gave the slightest effort he would have had em. But nope he didn’t even try. Having a chance to play with Favre & he just didn’t care. Then he had that bizarre press conference after the Patriots game proclaiming his love for them & bashing Childress for not heeding his advise. Still the Vikings could have used him but he was not trust worthy. Was he going to try to catch the ball. It sure didn’t seem like it. He could have been motivated to go out & give it his all & prove he was the best wide receiver in the NFL but he didn’t try at all. Favre couldn’t trust he would run the right route. It was sad to see. Was I pissed that arrogant P.O.S. Chilly cut him, sure. The fact is though Moss had already given up in his mind. Way to go out like a chump Randy.

32. countsnail says: Sep 16, 2011 10:41 AM

Ochocinco gets cut, Moss gets signed.

Seems like a plausible scenario to me.

33. flakazoid says: Sep 16, 2011 10:46 AM

Can you imagine two less-anticipted Hall of Fame acceptance speeches than those of Randy Moss & Terrell Owens…

34. ytsejamer1 says: Sep 16, 2011 11:00 AM

jdreed68 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:24 AM

————————–

LOL…Prude. I hope you were kidding.

Regarding Moss…I think he has more left in the tank, but I really don’t know if he’d be of much use for the Pats. They need guys that are active without the ball and continue to get after it. The stuff he did with the Pats was amazing…week in and week out. The catch over Revis was a thing of beauty last year.

It is too bad…if he had just a bit better work ethic, he could have stuck around for a LOT longer and really tore up the record books.

35. xli2006 says: Sep 16, 2011 11:10 AM

“But we’re NOT DONE fabricating a story out of this non-story.” – The Media

36. andyreidisfat says: Sep 16, 2011 11:11 AM

I just want to say as an bug time golf fan i have been to the NE area a bunch on September to golf. It is cool but not too cold. And. The grass is nice and soft still so the ball is not as crazy on the bounce

37. dwightmlee says: Sep 16, 2011 11:20 AM

God! “lubed up” was a reference to Brady saying earlier this week that he expected the fans to be lubed up and noisy for the 4:15 gametime Sunday… N.E. fans are notoriously quiet 80% of the time no matter the opponent or the game circumstances. Gillette is the quietest stadium in the NFL even though it was designed to seem extra noisy – a testiment to the cerebral nature of the fans in New England? How many times have the visiting National press said while at Red Sox games that the fans in New England are such knowledgable baseball geniuses?
    …and Moss has been high on something since he was 15 years old – ya think?! Brady only drinks when he has written permission from his wife, anyway. Don’t over respond to what the press writes – they make up 98% of their output – pure drivel!

38. favreforever says: Sep 16, 2011 11:24 AM

“No mas, no mas.”.

39. halfie6 says: Sep 16, 2011 11:29 AM

Absolutely true that Massachusetts’ weather for golf is frequently spectacular in September.

But, more important, people like to play golf with their friends. Moss lived in Boston for a few years. I’m guessing it’s more likely he’s teeing it up with a few local buddies than masking some secret trip to kiss Belichick’s rings.

40. MCxShow says: Sep 16, 2011 11:29 AM

Straight cash homie

41. threedeep1998 says: Sep 16, 2011 11:30 AM

in Moss’s 4 games with us he scored 2 touchdowns on 13 catches and nearly 300 yards. Not amazing by any means but considering Camarillo had 1 TD and Baskett, Berrian, and Lewis had 0 TDs all year…I’d say he was doing fine. Plus, look up the stats that Harvin put up while Randy Moss was back in MN. 2 TDS against Jets, kickoff return against dallas, Rushing TD against the packers, and about 100 yards against NE. He opens the field up for a younger explosive guy like Harvin. Berrian does not

42. baboushka says: Sep 16, 2011 11:41 AM

I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the image of Randy Moss on a golf course. He wore some “doozer” outfits and doo-rags to press conferences as a patriot. I want to see pictures or I won’t believe the golf angle on this story.

43. georgelovespepper says: Sep 16, 2011 11:43 AM

who was he with? was he alone? was he with patriots’ staff?

maybe he simply made some friends when he lived there

44. olcap says: Sep 16, 2011 11:43 AM

“Then again, maybe Brady was “lubed up” when he said that.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

45. mrplow3 says: Sep 16, 2011 11:44 AM

I always thought PFT readers were a step above the average ESPN reader. After seeing all the thumbs up to the “Moss going back to Minnesota” comments, maybe not.

What in the world would make you ever think for even one second Moss would go play with the uber terrible Donavan Mcnabb? He. Is. Done.

Stop being little star struck teens getting caught up in names. Mcnabb is HORRIBLE now. Moss knows it just like every other rationale football fan, coach, GM, and player. The guy has got nothing left. Was his 39 yard performance not enough to show you that? And by the way, I saw that game. The stat line makes him look better than he actually was if that’s even possible.

Comprendo?

46. joetoronto says: Sep 16, 2011 11:46 AM

kate773 says: Sep 16, 2011 10:14 AM

jbl429 says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:45 AM

**********************************

************************************************
    No one implied you can’t play golf in Boston this time of year.

Rather that he can play anywhere and he chose to go to Boston in September, rather than South Carolina, or many other hot spots.

47. polishrod says: Sep 16, 2011 11:53 AM

Randy, baby, it’s been over for at least 2 years.

The NFL has seen the last of your half-hearted efforts

48. polishrod says: Sep 16, 2011 11:54 AM

No one implied you can’t play golf in Boston this time of year.

————

Wow, we’re really grasping now. What’s next?

“Well, he was golfing and not playing football so he must be training and doesnt want to hurt himself”

49. 6ringsofsteal says: Sep 16, 2011 12:01 PM

The league said you were done. You cannot handle the Steel!

50. fran021 says: Sep 16, 2011 12:02 PM

Ian Meropol???

Great source.

51. ProDolphinsTalk says: Sep 16, 2011 12:02 PM

Moss says “I’m Done”? Funny, his 2010 game film says the same thing.

52. 1phd says: Sep 16, 2011 12:14 PM

Only thing is “I’m done.” was referring to his golf that day.

53. laeaglefan says: Sep 16, 2011 1:21 PM

The fact that Brady was about to throw for over 500 yards WITHOUT Moss would kind of indicate to me that the Patriots can somehow get along without him.

54. cliverush says: Sep 16, 2011 2:21 PM

Golf in New England in September is the best. There is low humidity, lush green grass, few bugs and fewer players as the tourists have left.

55. Mr. Wright 212 says: Sep 16, 2011 2:25 PM

He is not retiring, can we stop with the BS?

56. august1969 says: Sep 16, 2011 3:20 PM

September is the best month of the year in New England for golf and just about anything else.

Why can’t people shut up when they’re ignorant about something?