Moss says “I’m done”

Getty Images

Receiver Randy Moss has never held a retirement press conference.  He didn’t even issue a statement in his own words.  Instead, agent Joel Segal let it be known after Moss didn’t realize any big-money offers early in free agency that Moss was calling it quits.

Moss finally has spoken on the issue.  He golfed in the Boston area on Thursday, and Ian Meropol of WEEI and WAAF morning show co-host Lyndon Byers caught up with Moss in the parking lot, asking Moss if they’ll see him in Gillette Stadium again this year.

“No,” Moss said.  “I’m done.”

So why was he in Boston?

“I’m just here golfing, minding my business,” Moss said.

Folks will continue to be skeptical about his retirement.  We’ve been told multiple times that Moss would return under the right circumstances, something that Jay Glazer of FOX also reported last Sunday.  And Patriots quarterback Tom Brady recently said that he’d welcome Moss back with open arms.

Then again, maybe Brady was “lubed up” when he said that.

56 responses to “Moss says “I’m done”

1. Did you actually listen to the brief “interview?” He was getting into his Lexus. He wanted to get away from Chach after he played 9 holes in Bellingham. There is no value behind this.

2. Mike, please don’t mention Moss, Brady and “lubed up” in the same blog. Does not paint a pretty mental picture no matter how accurate it may be.

3. I wonder if he was in the parking lot because he didn’t like the golf corse so he decided to quit and go home

4. “I’m just here golfing, minding my business,” Moss said.

Ya, when I think of golfing in the fall, I think of Boston.

5. johnsticle says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM
    We need him back in Minnesota. Cut Berrian and give Moss all the money he wants
    ———————————————————
    And Vikings fans wonder why people think they’re idiots???

You people learned NOTHING from his three week stint LAST year?

6. It’s a bit odd…I don’t think anyone’s going out of their way to go golfing in Massachusetts in mid-September.

7. richm2256 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:34 AM

johnsticle says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:16 AM
    We need him back in Minnesota. Cut Berrian and give Moss all the money he wants
    ———————————————————
    And Vikings fans wonder why people think they’re idiots???

You people learned NOTHING from his three week stint LAST year?

—————————————————

Do you understand what happened last year? Childress made the decision to cut him, not us Vikings fans. Childress decided to make an idiot out of himself and make a mockery of the franchise. Not us Vikings fans.

I’ve always loved Randy Moss, I’ve always wanted him on the Vikings. Every time I think about the two times we let him go, my blood boils.

I was just making a comment, I’d like to see Randy back, I hate Bernard Berrian. I wasn’t predicting it’d happen, Leslie isn’t the type of coach to get Moss on the squad.

8. Or, maybe, you smug idiots don’t know nearly as much as you seem to think you do. Mayyyybe, Randy Moss himself knows more about his future plans than what Jay Glazer the hack is “reporting.”

9. Speaking of golfing, I’ll bet he’d like to have a mulligan and delete his rant after the opening day victory last year. Lobbying for a long term contract one year ago and now out of work. Going to be interesting to see what he makes of the rest of his life.

10. jbl429 says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:45 AM

**********************************

Yeah, its Massachusetts, not Siberia. Its 60’s and 70’s and no humidity here right now. My father golfs through October.

11. Sorry but he quit on the team. He had opportunities for TD’s against Dallas, GB & New England that if he just gave the slightest effort he would have had em. But nope he didn’t even try. Having a chance to play with Favre & he just didn’t care. Then he had that bizarre press conference after the Patriots game proclaiming his love for them & bashing Childress for not heeding his advise. Still the Vikings could have used him but he was not trust worthy. Was he going to try to catch the ball. It sure didn’t seem like it. He could have been motivated to go out & give it his all & prove he was the best wide receiver in the NFL but he didn’t try at all. Favre couldn’t trust he would run the right route. It was sad to see. Was I pissed that arrogant P.O.S. Chilly cut him, sure. The fact is though Moss had already given up in his mind. Way to go out like a chump Randy.

12. jdreed68 says: Sep 16, 2011 9:24 AM

Maybe NFL means Nasty Fellas League. Brady getting lubed up, Revis having X-rated conversations with Bryant. No Wonder Moss wants out.
    ————————–

LOL…Prude. I hope you were kidding.

Regarding Moss…I think he has more left in the tank, but I really don’t know if he’d be of much use for the Pats. They need guys that are active without the ball and continue to get after it. The stuff he did with the Pats was amazing…week in and week out. The catch over Revis was a thing of beauty last year.

It is too bad…if he had just a bit better work ethic, he could have stuck around for a LOT longer and really tore up the record books.

13. I just want to say as an bug time golf fan i have been to the NE area a bunch on September to golf. It is cool but not too cold. And. The grass is nice and soft still so the ball is not as crazy on the bounce

14. God! “lubed up” was a reference to Brady saying earlier this week that he expected the fans to be lubed up and noisy for the 4:15 gametime Sunday… N.E. fans are notoriously quiet 80% of the time no matter the opponent or the game circumstances. Gillette is the quietest stadium in the NFL even though it was designed to seem extra noisy – a testiment to the cerebral nature of the fans in New England? How many times have the visiting National press said while at Red Sox games that the fans in New England are such knowledgable baseball geniuses?
    …and Moss has been high on something since he was 15 years old – ya think?! Brady only drinks when he has written permission from his wife, anyway. Don’t over respond to what the press writes – they make up 98% of their output – pure drivel!

15. Absolutely true that Massachusetts’ weather for golf is frequently spectacular in September.

But, more important, people like to play golf with their friends. Moss lived in Boston for a few years. I’m guessing it’s more likely he’s teeing it up with a few local buddies than masking some secret trip to kiss Belichick’s rings.

16. in Moss’s 4 games with us he scored 2 touchdowns on 13 catches and nearly 300 yards. Not amazing by any means but considering Camarillo had 1 TD and Baskett, Berrian, and Lewis had 0 TDs all year…I’d say he was doing fine. Plus, look up the stats that Harvin put up while Randy Moss was back in MN. 2 TDS against Jets, kickoff return against dallas, Rushing TD against the packers, and about 100 yards against NE. He opens the field up for a younger explosive guy like Harvin. Berrian does not

17. I’m still trying to wrap my mind around the image of Randy Moss on a golf course. He wore some “doozer” outfits and doo-rags to press conferences as a patriot. I want to see pictures or I won’t believe the golf angle on this story.

18. I always thought PFT readers were a step above the average ESPN reader. After seeing all the thumbs up to the “Moss going back to Minnesota” comments, maybe not.

What in the world would make you ever think for even one second Moss would go play with the uber terrible Donavan Mcnabb? He. Is. Done.

Stop being little star struck teens getting caught up in names. Mcnabb is HORRIBLE now. Moss knows it just like every other rationale football fan, coach, GM, and player. The guy has got nothing left. Was his 39 yard performance not enough to show you that? And by the way, I saw that game. The stat line makes him look better than he actually was if that’s even possible.

Comprendo?

19. kate773 says: Sep 16, 2011 10:14 AM

jbl429 says:
    Sep 16, 2011 9:45 AM

**********************************

Yeah, its Massachusetts, not Siberia. Its 60′s and 70′s and no humidity here right now. My father golfs through October.
    ************************************************
    No one implied you can’t play golf in Boston this time of year.

Rather that he can play anywhere and he chose to go to Boston in September, rather than South Carolina, or many other hot spots.

20. No one implied you can’t play golf in Boston this time of year.

————

Wow, we’re really grasping now. What’s next?

“Well, he was golfing and not playing football so he must be training and doesnt want to hurt himself”

21. Golf in New England in September is the best. There is low humidity, lush green grass, few bugs and fewer players as the tourists have left.

22. September is the best month of the year in New England for golf and just about anything else.

Why can’t people shut up when they’re ignorant about something?