Brees, Saints have been negotiating “non-stop”

Tennessee Titans v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

With Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and Mike Vick locking up long-term deals and with all other high-end quarterbacks not close enough to the end of their current contracts to trigger discussions on an extension, Saints quarterback Drew Brees remains the biggest name on deck for a new contract.

Two weeks ago, we reported that a “huge gap” exists between the two sides.  Amid recent public comments from both Brees and agent Tom Condon regarding the talks, a source with knowledge of the situation tells us that negotiations have been occurring “non-stop.”

Per the source, if a deal isn’t completed within the next week, talks could be shut down until after the season — adding that it will be a “close call” as to whether an agreement is reached in the short term.

Though Brees can separate football and business, the contract talks could become a distraction if the Saints lose to the Bears on Sunday and fall to 0-2.  At some point, both sides will want to table the issue and focus exclusively on winning games.

If the discussions are suspended, both sides assume risk.  Brees, if he suffers a significant injury, will see his leverage drop.  If, on the other hand, he emerges unscathed, the price to keep him likely will go way up.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Brees, Saints have been negotiating “non-stop””
  1. mustbejealousof6 says: Sep 17, 2011 2:57 PM

Been a slow two days…

2. iknowitallandmore says: Sep 17, 2011 3:00 PM

Is Brees negotiating for “past and future players” in this instance also?
    I mean we all know how the last negotiations he was involved in turned out when he stated he was also representing “past and future” players.

3. iknowitallandmore says: Sep 17, 2011 3:04 PM

Brees is looking out for himself in these negotiations, just like he looked out for only himself in the last negotiations he was involved in.

OOps, my bad. I forgot, those last negotiations he was also dealing on behalf of future AND retired players… Wink, wink yea right

4. jessethegreat says: Sep 17, 2011 3:19 PM

I hope Brees takes a below market contract so he doesn’t drive Aaron Rodgers’ price tag up too much.

5. jasku880 says: Sep 17, 2011 3:34 PM

i knew bress didnt pay for all that “OTA” just for the good of the team.

6. teal379 says: Sep 17, 2011 3:42 PM

Don’t understand the idea that somehow they need to “focus on winning games” – correct me if I’m wrong but the discussions should be between the agent and the GM or maybe Director of Player Personnel?

Somehow I don’t imagine it’s between Drew and Sean and that’s stealing time from film study.

Agent and GM talk – come to some numbers, agent calls Drew and says “Can you rock with this? I think it’s good due to XYZ or I think we can do better because of XYZ”

Seems to me that Drew should be able to handle a phone call or 3 during the week.

Otherwise I fail to see how any contract negotiations would cause issues for the coaching staff or the player. College educated folks should be able to compartmentalize their lives enough to handle that.

7. favreforever says: Sep 17, 2011 4:08 PM

You can see the stress on his face. Look at the bags under his eyes.

8. turk2875 says: Sep 17, 2011 4:17 PM

I hate Brees….

9. mmcdan13 says: Sep 17, 2011 4:20 PM

I’m sure Brees will blame the lack of progress on Clark Hunt.

10. herlies says: Sep 17, 2011 5:00 PM

Deserves every dollar he can get.

11. oldhamletman says: Sep 17, 2011 5:14 PM

I had a lot of respect for Brees….. then the lockout happened….

the BS that repeatedly came out of his mouth during the lockout completely changed my impression of his integrity…

if they are wide apart in negotiations, from what I know of him now, it’s probably because he’s making insane demands… since he believes he’s an ‘owner’…

12. savannahrose44 says: Sep 17, 2011 5:20 PM

And the next grossly overpaid QB is……

13. 504in860 says: Sep 17, 2011 5:40 PM

oldhamletman says:
    Sep 17, 2011 5:14 PM
    I had a lot of respect for Brees….. then the lockout happened….

————————————————-

I’m sure he’s losing sleep over this.

14. scudbot says: Sep 17, 2011 6:18 PM

If you factor in the $20M bonus Brees got, he’s making $11.6 million a year currently. Assuming NO goes to 2 playoff games and you count the 4 preseason games, that’s over $500,000 per outing. I wonder what he thinks he’s worth.

15. koolbreeze7 says: Sep 17, 2011 9:14 PM

Pay the dude! He’s the greatest SAINT of all times!!!!!!!