Kubiak confirms that Ben Tate is lead back for now

Ben Tate, Kendall Langford AP

Ben Tate’s fast start to the season has earned him a promotion, at least for now.

If Sunday’s game wasn’t proof enough, coach Gary Kubiak confirmed that Tate will take more of the workload in the coming weeks rather than Arian Foster.  Tate has 219 yards in two weeks.

“[Tate is] playing really well,” Kubiak said in comments distributed by the team. “As we work Arian back into what we’re doing and get him back to full speed, Ben’s going to probably carry most of the load right now as we work forward with Arian.”

This is what’s called a good problem. It remains to be seen whether the Texans will rest Foster until he’s truly 100%, but Kubiak didn’t suggest that would happen.

The Texans traditionally don’t use a running back committee. Instead, they may just use Tate and Foster as lead backs at different points in the season.  That’s disappointing for Foster’s fantasy owners, but a nice luxury to have for Houston.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Kubiak confirms that Ben Tate is lead back for now”
  1. sterilizecromartie says: Sep 19, 2011 8:43 PM

This is Steve Slaton all over again.

2. jaggedmark says: Sep 19, 2011 8:44 PM

Kubiak also confirmed that everyone that used their 1st rd fantasy pick on Arian Foster will not win their league.

3. madd5555likesthedudes says: Sep 19, 2011 8:45 PM

Gary Kubiak confirms that he wants my fantasy team to lose

4. tallguyme says: Sep 19, 2011 8:46 PM

never, ever, ever take a RB in the first round of fantasy football. ever.

5. jsalis13 says: Sep 19, 2011 8:46 PM

God dammit

6. captainwisdom8888 says: Sep 19, 2011 8:55 PM

Popular opinion called for Arian Foster to be the #1 overall pick in fantasy drafts…I went with Tom Brady instead.

7. mcnabbulous says: Sep 19, 2011 9:04 PM

If you do not handcuff your top top 5 pick than you are horrible at ffl and you deserve to lose. NO SOUP FOR YOU.

8. coreydemoss says: Sep 19, 2011 9:05 PM

“never, ever, ever take a RB in the first round of fantasy football that has only had one good year.”

^^There. Fixed.

9. chowface86 says: Sep 19, 2011 9:06 PM

Whats up all the haters that thumbs down my post last week about Tate taking over the offense. They should be trying to pick up TO as well.

10. itsmammoth says: Sep 19, 2011 9:08 PM

HAHA! YES! :) Ben Tate all day!

:p

11. buttlicker says: Sep 19, 2011 9:12 PM

this is why you also draft ben tate, and i bet you it’s going to pay off more nicely than anyone expects

12. ydnubm says: Sep 19, 2011 9:19 PM

This is why I will never buy a running back’s jersey. Ok, maybe a throwback…

13. jgo304 says: Sep 19, 2011 9:38 PM

Lol once Kubiak gets the Oline down he could turns a 1 legged man into a RB.

I LOL’ed at every idiot that took Foster over Brady, Rodgers, or Brees this year.

14. ctiggs says: Sep 19, 2011 9:56 PM

this is why i drafted ben tate as Insurance , learn how to draft guys

15. phillydude24 says: Sep 19, 2011 10:02 PM

what a diference a year makes.

I am very pleased as a fantasy owner. I thought tate was going to be dead weight on my team this year.

16. steelersfan1983 says: Sep 19, 2011 10:02 PM

Hahaha everyone laughed at me when I put foster on my do not draft list! He who laughs last, laughs the loudest!

17. bennprince says: Sep 19, 2011 10:17 PM

Steve Slaton all over again? Slaton blew a disk, Foster just has a dinged hammy. He’s definitely a smoother and shiftier back than Tate… He’ll be back this year in time to win the playoff games for you fantasy geeks.

18. kremis says: Sep 19, 2011 10:23 PM

I Loooove my wife!!!! She is an athletic trainer and told me in preseason NOT to draft Arian Foster when he had hamstrang problems. She said without complete rest for 4 – 5 weeks, he will never be 100% thru the season, so I grabbed Ben Tate in all three of my leagues in round 7 or later!!!! and started him each week! Gidyup!!! I may take her out to eat on my winnings!!!

19. jstorm6 says: Sep 19, 2011 10:25 PM

I feel sorry for every moron who wasted a pick on Arian Foster. He is a one hit wonder his career can only go downhill from here. Ben Tate is this years new lead back!

20. jpmelon says: Sep 19, 2011 10:30 PM

Everyone complaining on this thread obviously didn’t draft Jamaal Charles. Henceforth, everyone should stop and realize how bad some other fantasy owners have it.

21. mantorras says: Sep 19, 2011 10:44 PM

no Vonta Leach plus hammy injury= no chance I was taking Foster, but I took Ben in all my leagues :)

22. Andre's Johnson says: Sep 19, 2011 10:52 PM

What’s with the one-year wonder talk? He’s hurt. Kubiak needs to keep him inactive for two or three weeks and then bring him back at full strength. By the end of season, I think we’ll see Foster getting 60-70 percent of the carries and Tate the remainder.

Calm down. Well, I guess it’s tough to calm down when your life revolves around your fantasy football team. Losers. Tell your mom to get you a glass of water and read you a story. Then go to bed.

23. ilovefoolsball says: Sep 19, 2011 11:03 PM

kremis says:
    Sep 19, 2011 10:23 PM
    _________
    Are you sure your wife wasn’t giving Foster some extra rehab and that’s why he re-injured his hamstring?

Tell her to take it easy on him, she’s a married woman.

24. mrvikingsfan11 says: Sep 19, 2011 11:27 PM

Lol, Tate is the man!!!!!!! Sorry Foster

25. ctiggs says: Sep 19, 2011 11:33 PM

kremis says:
    Sep 19, 2011 10:23 PM

you deserve a thumbs down for asking your wife , how to draft

26. philyeagles5 says: Sep 20, 2011 12:10 AM

woot i drafted Tate in the last round of my draft.

27. Andre's Johnson says: Sep 20, 2011 12:28 AM

Ctiggs, you get a thumbs down for not passing 3rd grade writing.

28. nelspetersen says: Sep 20, 2011 12:48 AM

Isn’t it ironic that Tate was slated to be the starting RB until he got injured and Foster played his way into the job last year and now the roles are reversed.

29. titknocker says: Sep 20, 2011 12:59 AM

Hey fantasy players, remember last year? when ben tate was the “rookie to draft” and then he broke his ankle & missed the season. yeah this is why he was so hyped up!!

30. dannymac17 says: Sep 20, 2011 2:03 AM

if you use your first round pick KNOWING Foster isnt 100% healthy going into the season, you have only yourself to blame as far as fantasy goes.

31. lovetron says: Sep 20, 2011 2:30 AM

Some guy in my league dropped Foster after Week 1. At the time I thought he was crazy. Now I think he must be Biff from Back To The Future 2.

32. robcypher says: Sep 20, 2011 7:38 AM

I had Foster on two of my teams, but I had Tate on those two teams and one other one, and he’s paying off like gangbusters. I picked up Foster in the second round for both teams; he had dropped from the first due to the injury fears.

33. southpaw2k says: Sep 20, 2011 8:13 AM

Why is anyone surprised that Foster will be out again for a couple weeks due to his hamstring? I knew he’d reinjure his hamstring from playing this past weekend. I stayed as far away as possible from drafting him in any of my leagues and grabbed Tate in as many as possible, if for no other reason but as trade bait. Houston should have kept him on the bench until at least October and let Tate carry the workload until then.

34. bydabeach says: Sep 20, 2011 8:19 AM

That’s a great problem to have. Work Tate till Foster is 100%, then half way thru the season you have a great back with fresh legs starting the last half of the season.

35. Scott says: Sep 20, 2011 1:23 PM

I fully admit I am one of the idiots who drafted Foster at #4 in my draft. I have been on the trade block all day trying to dump anyone on my bench for a top 15 back. I have Fred Jackson too, but it’s a steep drop off to Pierre Thomas next at RB. I suck at FF.

36. mrsilvernblack says: Sep 20, 2011 1:37 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha is all I have to say to anyone that drafted foster with their first pick when they knew!! He had a hamstring problem! And everyone laughed when I picked up tate in the 7th round