Eli Manning doesn’t think Giants fans are booing him

Getty Images

As Eli Manning struggled early in Monday night’s game against the Rams, Giants fans booed. But Manning cheerfully said after the game that he thinks those boos must have been meant for the Rams.

“I didn’t hear any of it — you’re out there just concentrating and trying to figure what the defense is doing and how you can attack it and make some plays,” Manning said. “I thought they were booing someone else.”

I hate to be the one to break it to Eli, but those boos weren’t for someone else. When the Giants’ first drive ended with a Manning interception, those boos were for Manning. And when four of the Giants’ next five drives went three-and-out, those boos were for Manning, too.

But give Manning credit for eventually settling down and having a decent game, completing 18 of 29 passes for 200 yards, with two touchdowns, as the Giants beat the Rams. Giants fans weren’t booing at the end.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

100 responses to “Eli Manning doesn’t think Giants fans are booing him

1. “I didn’t hear any of it — you’re out there just concentrating and trying to figure what the defense is doing and how you can attack it and make some plays,” Manning said.

Translation: Who do these fans think they are anyway? I make way more money than any of them and I’m not going to give them the satisfaction of letting them know they got to me.

2. Ben is clearly the best QB of that draft class, if not of this decade. Manning throws nothing but picks and Rivers loves to lose.

3. Giants fans have no idea or appreciation for their QB…I’m a skins fan, and would love to have a QB of that caliber. Sure he makes mistakes, what QB doesn’t? That said, he is a top 12-15 QB in the league, who played his ass off in the playoffs and won a Superbowl…Giants fans may not know what they had until they lose it, and I hope (for their sake) that doesn’t happen. Bottomline, the Giants would be a worse team without him.

4. Who does he think they are booing? Bradshaw?

That is funny….Or he thinks that they are all watching the Skins–“Coooooooooollllleeeeeeyyyyyy!”

yes, they are booing….And you should be scared.

5. I’ve always liked Eli. Everyone seems to want a diamond chain wearing, flashy big mouth ego for a QB. I think NY has a genuinely good guy who is quietly confident and doesn’t really let fair weather fans or media get to him. That takes more strength and personal confidence then he gets credit for. Bad game? Just get better. Good for you Eli…I’ll take you as a QB anyday.

6. “I didn’t hear any of it”……. “I thought they were booing someone else.”

ummmmmmmmmmm…. not only do you suck as a QB Sheli but you also suck at lying!!!!

7. Seriously though, you have to wonder what it’s like to live in Eli’s world.

You get to be an elite quarterback even with 25 INTs

No one is ever booing or criticizing you. That’s someone else named Eli or Manning they’re calling out.

Oh, and you’re *UNSTOPPABLE* Not because your lineman were able to hold, grab and grapple the Pats so you could make that lucky one in a million pass.

You’re just epic Eli. It’s your world and we’re just living in it.

8. coutre says: Sep 20, 2011 12:34 PM

Go cry to your daddy Eli. You stink

——————————————-

Hmmm one super bowl ring, thats probably one more than you got coutre

9. arlingtonassasin says:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:42 PM

——-

Ok, I’ll trade you Rodgers or Brady for Eli….. I’m sure you don’t want that deal!

Your last line should read “I’ll take you as a QB anyday, because the alternative is David Carr”

Once Plaxico shot himself in the leg, Eli was done. He’s not accurate or courageous enough to be a winner w/o a jump ball WR.

10. Hes the best qb in the league just ask him. Who would boo a 15 int a season delusional, average, baby who lives in their brothers shadow? have fun in last place in the division

11. WOW there are a lot of simpletons here today, including the author of this article. Obviously he knows who the boo’s were directed at.
    First he says, he didn’t hear any of it, then he says that he thought they were booing someone else, which clearly means he heard it. He was obviously brushing off a ridiculous question in the same Eli fashion as he always does.

12. Wow. A real live NFL scout right here in the comments section. To say any NFL QB isn’t courageous just proved your ignorance. Why don’t you line up against multiple 300+ guys trying to kill you or 4 quarters then get back to me.

13. I’ve been censored and I didn’t cuss! Just pointed out that that the giants behaved like weak-kneed soccer types faking injuries. (paraphrasing this time around – just wrote that they resembled a very popular furry household pet. Is everyone that sensitive?)

Com’on!

14. One final thought for all the eagles fans on here that can’t pass up cheap unoriginal low blows against the Giants. You guys love to hate everything…Giants love to just win. That’s why every ex con QB, flashy signing, mindless smack talk you guys roll with always ends up in a huge donut in the SB department. I guess I would be bitter too.

15. polishrod says:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:50 PM
    arlingtonassasin says:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:42 PM

——-

—————————————–

This from a fan that gives standing ovations to a QB that is a sadistic animal torturing, herpes spreading, pathological lying POS that has never had back to back winning seasons & ALWAYS disappoints in the playoffs.

Look you troll, go back to your “dream team” posts & count your Lombardi’s…oh wait a sec, Filthadelphia fans have no Lombardi’s. And never will with Reid & Vick.

Well you can always continue to count regular season wins as championships & keep saying the obtuse, amusing things you are all infamous for.

16. New York fans never know what they have. They just bitch when they lose. But i’ll tell you what New York definitely doesn’t have, and that’s Slammin Cam Newton 😉

17. If Eli played for Andy Reid the Eagles would be able to get a first round draft pick and a pro bowler for him. I kinda feel bad for the guy, he is a good QB, just stuck up there in NY… wait I don’t feel bad for him, this is the same schmuk that refused to play for the Chargers. He would be killing it in San Diego.

18. And I’m pretty sure he’s a better qb than the rest of the nfc east. Grossman? Lololololol. Romo with one playoff win? Vick who can’t play a full season and has he even won a playoff game?

And to the dbag saying th olineman were holding the pats on the greatest play ever, are u still butthurt your pats haven’t won a playoff game since 07

19. feldman9000 says:
    Sep 20, 2011 1:07 PM

Uh….how many wins does Slammin’s team have?

Guess Eli wins that one.

20. arlingtonassasin says:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:42 PM
    ==============================
    where do you get your logic? “everyone” wants a flashy big mouth QB??? people hate diva WRs. why would anyone want one as their QB???

21. NoRespect says:
    Sep 20, 2011 12:37 PM
    This write could have saved a lot of time and just written the first four words of the title.

Has to be top 3 posts ever…not necessarily true, but wayyy funny! The superbowl win was a gift, but he didn’t give up on (the scramble) made a good throw, and Tyree made (the catch II). When all is said and done, he is a superbowl champion.

22. i’m a Giants fan and love having Eli at QB. Maybe only 5-10 QB’s in the entire world that are better. In Eli I Trust. He’s a gamer that wins more than he loses (look it up). GO BLUE

23. coutre says: Sep 20, 2011 12:35 PM

Can’t spell Elite without ELI!
    **********************************************************

or Every Long-pass Intercepted.

24. Eli actually had a good overall game… Especially considering nobody should know him (or the giants calls) better than Spags… He had them ready to play. That first quarter interception was a heck of a scheme and play by the safety.
    Giants have never played clean/dominant football. We win games by getting dirty in the trenches. Running the ball down your throats and destroying offensive lines with the best pressure in the league. Why don’t people back of Eli? The guy has done nothing but be an even keeled leader of a super bowl contending team every year since he became a Giant. Giants have been hit 5x harder than any team in the league by injuries yet we still have a chance to win every game. Let the haters keep hating. Good Game Eli.

25. As a Charger fan I initially wanted us to draft Eli. After seeing both the careers of Manning and Rivers, the Giants can keep their one suprbowl won by their awesome defense.

Whether the Chargers ever win a superbowl or not, id rather be watching Rivers play win or lose. I like a quaterback who acts like he’s out their to win the game. I like the leader of my team ACTING LIKE A LEADER.

Keep Eli, Keep your rings, and keep the rest of his average carreer ahead of you

26. Eli is a mediocre qb at best! He had a fantastic 8 game run and was fortunate tyree makes a lucky catch. The defense beat the patriots under spagnolo who learned from Jim Johnson in Philly. I only wish that the eagles could have retained him instead of letting him sign with NY.

27. I got the impression the NYG fans were booing the lackluster production of the O in general to that point, not Eli specifically.
    That said it gets irritating the way Jaws and Gru slobber over everything any QB does pretty much. They have a lot of actual knowledge so it’s confounding when Eli throws a pass in the EZ that is more to the DB than to Nicks, Nicks twists his body around so he can grab it in front of the DB, then snaps his hands around the opposite direction to keep it away from the DB and Jaws says WHAT AN AWESOME PASS BY ELI. COME ON MAN.

28. I heard the boos on TV. There was more than 9 minutes left in the 1st quarter and the Giants trailed 3-0.

What a joke. Only New York fans would boo there own team after only a few minutes of gameplay. They should be ashamed of themselves.

29. seriously, how can you justify booing your own team, at home, 3 minutes into the first quarter???

NY fans are scum.

30. Haha these “lucky” catch comments are too much. Pats lose? Lucky catch. Brady can’t win the game? Must’ve been the defense. 4 years later and Pats fans are still crying in their lights beers.

31. and for that charger fan who wants rivers all day everyday over eli, that is one heck of a division Rivers plays in. You are comparing their careers where one plays in the top 2 divisions in football yr in and out while rivers plays in the worst yr in and out. Not to mention, nice luxury for phil to dink and dunk for one yrd to LT or sproles and let them run for 80 yards, he also plays with wr’s that are monsters, vjax, gates, floyd,nenae..all about 6’4 plus.
    More proof, check out mannings numbers in his career vs that mighty AFC west, and keep in mind in about half those games they hanked him at the half bc his team was blowing them out (kc twice, oak twice) lets see rivers in the nfc east every yr.

32. I also love the comments how eli didnt win them the sb or do anything. He was 19-34 for 255 with 2 td’s and 1 pick and his lone pick bounced right off of steve smiths hands in the red zone. Brady had 266 yards and threw it 15 more times than him. He stunk in the packers game too i bet also, in below 35 degree weather and gashed that secondary with woodson and co and also went on huge drives vs dallas and TB.
    Its so easy to bash him, but eli hasnt been the problem in years. He doesnt play dback, he isnt the cause of having 10 starters on injured reserve, hes so bad but throws for 4k or close to 4k yards a season, over 30 td’s and anyone who actually watches knows that half of eli’s picks were off his wr’s hands last yr. That he has a good defense is an old excuse. His d has been bad more times than not, and the plax excuse is old too. Hes been just fine w/o him, now its he is only good bc of Nicks. He played w/ all of his wr’s injured last yr and still had over 30 td’s, he has no te this yr, a new oline and more injuries to his wr’s. People talk and dont even look at numbers. He is more than 20 games over 500 as a starter and since he took the helm as starting qb, the giants have the best winning pct in the NFC. I dont think there is one opposing fan out there that says YES! we got this! eli manning is qbing, easy win. If thats the case he wouldnt have such a good record as a starter. Hes beaten flacco head to head, he destroyed schaubb and scorched houston so badly they yanked him after 2 1/2 qtrs. All these qb’s get so much respect but when eli faces them more times than not he out performs them.

33. You have to tune out the fans and the media to make it as a QB in New York. Eli’s got the right mentality here…he’s doing it like Simms did.

Eli’s not his brother, Tom Brady, or Aaron Rodgers…few are. He plays his game and doesn’t get too up or too down. And it works for him. He’s had more winning seasons as a QB than losing ones.

I guess he can always flip off the fans or point at the scoreboard, because that’s what a real leader does right?

34. Land Shark you must be a Pats fan still upset that my man tore you up, and smoked you guys on that beatiful rainbow to Plex, oh after we beat the senses out of Brady, and the “Most Prolific Offense” in the NFL, they had what 250 TOTAL yards? Sorry brah, you gt served….

Also next week all you fools will post the same nonsense about Eli that you always post even after he lights up Nnamdi, and Samuel, you are all tools, check your facts.

35. Although I’m probably in the minority of Giants fans on this, I like Eli and will defend him as a quarterback, even though his first two outings have been ugly. He QBd us to a title in a game no one expected us to win. I don’t think he’s an elite QB, but he brought us a championship.

Manning and Coughlin get a five-year pass with me so long as the franchise isn’t self-destructing, which it’s not.

36. Eli deserved to get booed yesterday. That pick he threw was awful. The line gave him a clean pocket with no pressure and a nice passing line, Manningham was wide open, and he just floated it.

Near the end of the first half, I was wondering whether Eli had been taken over by whatever was torturing Donovan McNabb last week.

Eli may think he’s an elite QB, but he’s not. He’s smart, and he has a big arm. But he’s not very accurate, and he really doesn’t handle pressure well at all. And he doesn’t run well.

So, overall, put him somewhere in the middle of the pack. Not as good as Rivers, or Brady, or his older brother. Not as bad as McNabb or Hasselback or Alex Smith. Definitely not an All-Pro, and definitely not a journeyman. An average NFL QB.

37. jkay you can keep on typing but nobody is listening. He is an inconsistent, mediocre quarterback that shows rare flashes of brilliance. They don’t call him the junior varsity manning for nothing.

38. Couple of points that I am sure will be lost on most of you.

Eli is not Payton he is a QB that has one of the worst OC’s in the NFL calling his plays
    The Boo’s where for the plays called more then they were for Eli.

Eli does not have a Tight End to throw too not because Boss is gone as he is not playing anyway.

They were playing againest the one guy on the planet who knows the Giants as well as they know themselves Spags knows the plays the looks everything about the Giants. (yet he still lost)

The bottom line is Eli got the win and that is all that matters.

Add LT was cheered as a member of the 86 championship team and at that point in his life he was as good as they was

39. I find it hysterical how many fans across the country just constantly hate on New Yorkers. It’s hysterical how jealous every1 is. Every1 who makes it to the top has haters… Move to NY all you haters and find out why it’s the best city in the world.

40. Gilbride is awful, I agree with that.

But Gilbride didn’t float that interception.

Gilbride isn’t throwing the ball into the turf five yards in front of the receivers.

And Gilbride isn’t the one ducking or turning his back every time the rush gets heavy.

Go back over two or three years and count the number of times Eli threw the ball while turning his back to the oncoming rushers. I’d be willing to bet that number is higher than it would be for any quarterback in the league. He just doesn’t stand in the pocket and take the hit, he turns away from it. That’s probably part of the reason why he’s working on what is currently the longest consecutive starts streak for a QB, but it’s also part of the reason his completion percentage is not elite.

41. Take away one fluke run in 2007 and his last name and he’s not an NFL starter much less an elite QB. I’m sure he’s a good guy but he’s been brutal the last 2 years.

42. When was the last time you heard a New Yorker criticize the way other city’s fans cheer or boo for their teams.

New Yorkers boo crappy play and we cheer the loudest for great play. You cheer your way, I’ll cheer mine. That’s the way it is. If you don’t like it, go to a place that is more tolerant of crumby play.

Eli’s head looks like Kazoo from the flintstones. He plays faccid 75% of the time and that means virtually no intensity. If you want to play for another team, we’ll understand. (Ya no neck chump.)

43. arlingtonassasin says:
    Sep 20, 2011 1:05 PM
    “…Giants love to just win.”

No WONDER New Yorkers hate Philly!

nflofficeadmin says:
    Sep 20, 2011 3:40 PM
    “When was the last time you heard a New Yorker criticize the way other city’s fans cheer or boo for their teams?”

Is this your first time on this site? Every freakin’ time the Eagles or any other Philly team plays on national TV and every freakin time there’s an Eagles story on PFT.

44. Hey all you wanksters:

#7 Total QB Rating last year, ahead of Rivers and that fat faced chump in Pittsburgh.

Super Bowl MVP and orchestrator of the greatest playoff run in NFL HISTORY.

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA EAT IT!!!!! You’re all jealous!

45. This “analysis” is the kind the media loves. It’s no analysis at all, but rather an unverifiable claim about the feeling inside the hearts of every MetLife Stadium boo-er yesterday.

Certainly some of the boos were pointed towards Eli, but more than anything else I’m sure they were from a fan base that has long been disappointed in overall poor execution on offense. Not just from the QB. For years the G-Men have been rhythm-less on offense. Two touchdown drives in a row is a pipe dream.

It always feels like we win because we got a little lucky and we have a few great athletes (see: Nicks, Tuck, Evil Steve Smith, Osi, JPP, AB).

This is one Giant fan who can’t wait to see Coughlin go. The post-game locker room speech they aired was so uninspiring. It was like watching my grandpa trying to commandeer my family’s Thanksgiving day game.

onthingz.com

46. So he denied it so what??? Is he supposed to storm out of the stadium and cry all the way home? Or should he just tell his therapist that he wants to committ suicide so the Giants call the Police and eventually land with the Eagles? Eli has 1 Superbowl. Anyone that says he was not part of that Superbowl, did not watch the playoffs where he took apart everyone in front of their fans in their own building in his 4th year as an NFL QB. I guess I would be bitter too! Plax is a good WR, but someone has to throw him the ball, ask Larry Fitgerald.

47. I honestly don’t think they were just booing him. I’m sure they were booing the whole offense . They couldn’t move the ball the first half of the game. Also the play calling was terrible. Killdrive needs to go.

48. i have to give credit where its due.. eli was terrible in the first half.. and looked like a general in the 2nd half minus 2 overthrows. im a giants fan and im very critical of eli being inconsistant, and not havin that fire and energy needed to get ur team fired up. that bein said.. eli controled the line, assissments and hot routes and looked good doing it. managing the game like its supposed 2 be done. hes not a brady hes a manager and needs 2 stick 2 it with the ocassional huge games… that being said

PLEASE FOR GOD SAKES AND 3 YEARS OVER DUE FIRE KILLDRIVE!!! i firmly believe hes been holdin eli bak for atleast 2-3 years now and its sickening.. i couldnt belive my eyes when i seen a slant rt to nicks and a screen (ugly one at that) to bradshaw..(and yes its so bad that i can actually remember those 2 plays in the game bec i havnt seen a screen or slant in ages from killdrive.. FIRE HIM PLEASE.. coughlin needs 2 save himself and eli by simply firin him and pickin up someone who uses teams strenghs..attacks weakness..and more importantly knows what plays 2 call at what time.. hes terrible i hate killdrive and have since 08-09

49. kevinfromphilly says:
    Sep 20, 2011 4:09 PM
    arlingtonassasin says:

===========================
    Kevin from Philly, you don’t get it do you? NY doesn’t intrinsically give two sits about philly. But when you run your mouth, like you are, it gets addressed.

Like this: you have no Lombardi trophies! haha.

Get it?

50. Mannings greatest weapon was Plaxico – Plax made Eli look like an Elite – Plax was the perfect fit for todays QB

TALL AND STRONG

In todays game you almost need this type of reciever unless you are a dead on accurate passer – which Eli is not.

Eli’s greatest strength is his coolness of mind in clutch situations – other than that he throws a fluttering ball typical of QB’s who throw off their back foot.

For that type of QB a tall possession receiver (Plaxico) is the perfect.

It upset me that Eli allowed pride to interfere with betterment of the Team – he should have welcomed Plax back with open arms.

51. What a putz! Win as a team, lose as a team! If they are booing THE GIANTS…They’re booing YOU! Get a clue, notPeyton!

52. blaz0037 says: Sep 20, 2011 1:54 PM

A few minutes of gameplay? At that point, counting the game the previous week, they were 1 of 15 in 3rd down conversions, and Eli was 2 for 11 for 18 yards. Should we have jumped up and cheered for this juggernaut of an offense because some inbred jagoff thinks we should feel shame for letting the team hear about it?

The problems with this team go back into last season, and NONE of those problems from back then have been addressed at all. Why shouldn’t they be boo’ed? They deserve it.